Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One Water Bottle or Two?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

One Water Bottle or Two?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 12:03 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Soil_Sampler
"Therefore, the study recommends that fluids
“be cooler than ambient temperature” — 59 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit —
“and flavored to enhance palatability and promote fluid replacement.”
It is still agreeing with what I said. Palatability refers to you wanting to drink it. IF YOU DRINK IT, it still has the same effect. Your body still uses it the same regardless of the temperature.
Old 01-18-10, 12:26 AM
GeorgePaul

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
If you ride a heavier bike for the same time you will get the same workout. That's the end of it.
Work is related to the distance a force moves an object and not the time it takes to move the object. See https://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Work/DefinitionWork.html
Old 01-18-10, 12:36 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
Work is related to the distance a force moves an object and not the time it takes to move the object. See https://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Work/DefinitionWork.html
Work can also be defined as power x time.

Anybody serious about training defines their workouts by the amount of time they are done for. That's why we say things like 2x20 at threshold or 5x5 VO2. How far you go is incidental. If you have an hour to ride and you go at a specific intensity you get the same workout regardless of how heavy your bike is. If you are doing your workouts on a fixed course and you have a heavier bike, one of two things (or some combination thereof) will happen: 1) you will go slower, or 2) you will go harder. If you were already working as hard as you could, then of course you will just go slower and the workout will take longer. So in that sense you will have done more total work, but there is no reason you couldn't have then just used a lighter bike and ridden extra distance in the time you saved. So in the end, all that matters is the time that you spend and the intensity doing it. The weight of the bike and the distance that you travel is completely irrelevant.

Edit: It should be noted that the effect of extra weight on training is mostly psychological, and psychological factors should not be discounted entirely. Get the most out of training often involves efforts that are uncomfortable, and motivation can be a huge factor when it hurts and you just want to stop. If you have a heavier bike it can be easier mentally to push hard because you don't have any alternative. However, if you are capable of that effort with a heavier bike, you are capable of that effort with a lighter bike, as long as you have the willpower/motivation to keep going hard and not back off just because you can.

This comes full circle to the other discussion about the temp of the water. The water will have the same effect on the body's hydration regardless of the temperature as long as you drink the water, but the motivation to drink the water may be lacking if it is warm. Just as the motivation to do the hard effort may be lacking with a lighter bike. But make no mistake, the workout's "goodness" is defined by the effort done, not the weight, and the hydration effect of water is defined by the volume consumed, not the temperature.

Last edited by umd; 01-18-10 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-18-10, 02:28 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
All I have to say is to look at my signature.

Last edited by kuf; 01-18-10 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-18-10, 02:45 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On longer rides, I like to have a protein drink and a carb-only drink. I will drink the protein drink when I get hungry, and drink the carb drink during more intense efforts.
Old 01-18-10, 03:53 AM
^oZ
shut up legs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How thirsty are you?

Originally Posted by blamire
always 2 regardless of distance. more weight = better training
More weight = slower.
Old 01-18-10, 04:06 AM
GeorgePaul

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Work can also be defined as power x time.
Power is the instantaneous rate of work being done or energy expended at a given point in time. The total work done or energy expended moving an item from point A to point B has nothing to do with how long it took. It takes twice as much energy to move a 10 lb weight 100 ft than it takes to move a 5 lb weight 100 ft, completely independent of the amount of time involved.
Old 01-18-10, 04:42 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Power is the instantaneous rate of work being done or energy expended at a given point in time. The total work done or energy expended moving an item from point A to point B has nothing to do with how long it took. It takes twice as much energy to move a 10 lb weight 100 ft than it takes to move a 5 lb weight 100 ft, completely independent of the amount of time involved.
It's all a matter of how you structure your training: Time intervals or distance intervals. If you do time intervals, you'll do less distance with a heavier bike, but the same work. If you do distance intervals, you'll take more time and do more work.

umd does time intervals.

Capisci?
Old 01-18-10, 04:43 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
...This comes full circle...
Nicely tied together. Bonus points for umd.

By the way, i generally take two bottles, one with sports drink, the other plain water. Except in the winter, when I forego the plain water, since I don't need as much hydration, and the water just freezes anyway.
Old 01-18-10, 04:54 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
P.S. Work can also be calculated from the time integral of power.
Old 01-18-10, 05:51 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe
On a typical 40-60 mile weekend training ride, How many of y'all carry only one bottle? How many carry two? Why?
My preference for water is flavored carbonated water. It comes in one liter bottles with a screw top cap to contain the carbonation. It's inconvenient to open especially while riding, but it's so much more refreshing than plain water, even and especially when warm. On a ride of 40 to 60 miles if warm out I would bring three. For a ride of 70 or more I would bring my maximum of four; two in water bottle cages and two in my rear trunk bag. The liter bottles fit tightly in the cages and I secure them with a rubber band to prevent them from popping out.

The local brand here around Boston is Polar Seltzer and it comes in a lot of flavors and my favorites include black cherry, pomegranate and vanilla. I'm only doing my 14 mile commute this winter and this morning it's sloppy, wet and 32* F so it's pleasant to think about those upcoming nice weather rides. My two cents worth.
Old 01-18-10, 06:09 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Camelbak ftw.
Old 01-18-10, 08:01 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always plan 24oz per hour, if I don't need it fine but not having it when you do need it is a much bigger problem.

2013 Noah RS
Old 01-18-10, 08:11 AM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike holds two, might as well take two. Whether or not I'll suck both down in 1-2 hours depends. I sweat like hell and in the summer usually go through two 24oz bottles per hour. When it's cooler, not so much.

Most hour trainer sessions require two bottles since most of it ends up in a puddle on the floor via the faucet in my head and I still end up dehydrated as evidenced by the lightheaddedness upon standing later on after the ride.
Old 01-18-10, 08:16 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I carry 1 bottle under 50F, 2 above 50F and 2 bottles plus a waist pak above 90F (unless the ride is supported, then I back off to 2 bottles).
Old 01-18-10, 08:17 AM
Steve in MA

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
2 x 24oz., if ride > 60 minutes.
+1

Unless it's purely a utility ride around town, I generally carry two 24oz bottles. One filled with water, the other with slightly watered down Gatorade. I'd rather have more fluids than I may need for a particular ride than be out on some deserted back road wishing there was a convenience store to be found.
Old 01-18-10, 09:10 AM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And also, given the same amount of work, it will take longer to move the 10 lb weight 100 ft.

Consider that a person does not have an unlimited capacity to do work. We only have so much power we can output at any given moment without getting too tired to continue. Given a certiain power (i.e. a rate of work) and a certain time, you can move more weight less distance or less weight more distance. Whether you calculate it by time or by distance it all has to stay in balance. So again, in smaller words so that people like you can understand, if you do less work to cover a certain distance because your bike is lighter, you can *gasp* ride extra distance in the time you saved and end up doing the same amount of work.
Old 01-18-10, 09:23 AM
instigator
n00b!

Bikes: Klein Q Carbon and Rocky Mountain Flow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything over 40 miles gets two 24oz bottles.
Old 01-18-10, 09:52 AM
hipcheck5
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind that in cold weather you are sweating as much, if not more, as in hot weather but it evaporates quicker, you also lose a lot of water from breathing. Use as much water in the cold as you would in the heat.
Old 01-18-10, 09:58 AM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hipcheck5
Keep in mind that in cold weather you are sweating as much, if not more, as in hot weather but it evaporates quicker,
That's a myth.

you also lose a lot of water from breathing.
That is somewhat true, but it's really more about humidity than temperature.

Use as much water in the cold as you would in the heat.
It's a good idea remember to pay attention to your hydration, but not to just automatically always drink the same volume.
Old 01-18-10, 10:40 AM
chevy42083
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 bottle per 30miles. I almost never finish it.
Everyone I ride with usually wants a break sometime between 20-30, so I'll top off.

I only have one cage, and generally don't like them in my jersey pockets. I'll stop once every 30mi so I can avoid that discomfort, and get COLD water/gatorade.
Old 01-18-10, 10:58 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
frakkin internet experts

some of you need to be reminded of the scientific method before pontificating about science.
Old 01-18-10, 11:04 AM
bretgross

Bikes: Zinn road bike, Rockhopper MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think your late grandma knew the same folks that mine did.

Always two: one water, one Cytomax. If longer than 60 miles, 2 bottles with Cytomax and the Camelback with water.

Originally Posted by learnmedia
Two. Water in one. HEED in the other. Because my late grandma's advice is always in my ear: better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old 01-18-10, 11:10 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
here's an experiment you can try at home:

1. get on your rollers/trainer in winter when the room is 50˚F. Place a plastic sheet under the apparatus
2. ride at power P for time T
3. collect the sweat from the plastic sheet and pour it into a beaker. this will be volume S
4. repeat the entire experiment at ambient temperature 75˚F. Compare S.

5. do this as many times as possible to average out variances in body hydration and inconsistent sweat-gathering.
Old 01-18-10, 11:21 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
I rode 40 miles in the rain over the weekend and didn't bring a bottle at all. I was well hydrated beforehand and had a litre of mineral water when I got home.
100 mile ride through mostly populated areas, I'll bring one 1-litre bottle, refill 2 or 3 times.
50 mile ride in summer through the desert, I'll bring one 1-litre bottle liquid and a frozen 2-litre bottle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.