Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any word on these?(Shorts&Jersey)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-05-11, 09:44 PM
thatguy512

Bikes: Dawes Lightning 2300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've been cycling for a few months and i want a better kit. Currently i own 2 Canari shorts and a casual jersey from performance.I first bought it in yellow due to it's visiability but then soon realized i look like some wana be Lance Armstrong.(maybe thats all in my head but i noticed no one wears yellow )

I was considering getting one of these bib shorts

1) https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...7_10000_202491

2) https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1#ReviewHeader

and a jersey

1) https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...7_10000_202492

2)https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._10000__202492

I dont like my club fit jersey since it flaps when i ride so i wanted a form fitting jersey.I couldn't find many reviews on the jerseys and was wondering if anyone on BF had anything to say about them.I don't really want to spend more than $40 each on the jersey and shorts.
Old 10-05-11, 11:38 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
love2pedal.com has pretty nice bibs for the price.
idk about the jerseys though
Old 10-05-11, 11:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I once had a pair of Nashbar gel shorts. They were horrible. The gel pack split in the middle of a ride and I thought I'd pissed myself. Do not waste your money. Try www.voler.com instead.
Old 10-05-11, 11:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Also, try probikekit.com.
Old 10-05-11, 11:54 PM
thatguy512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I once had a pair of Nashbar gel shorts. They were horrible. The gel pack split in the middle of a ride and I thought I'd pissed myself. Do not waste your money. Try www.voler.com instead.
Oh man you've ruined gel padding for the rest of the time i cycle ha.I can picture that in my mind and that seems like it really sucked ass
Old 10-05-11, 11:54 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.rei.com/outlet/search?pag...+Bike+Clothing

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 10-06-11, 12:01 AM
Top Gunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the price you are willing to pay, whatever you buy is going to be poor quality, unless you find it used or on a super closeout deal. I would save, buy the items one at a time, and get high quality stuff on sale. The difference in the way they feel and perform is worth it. But ultimately, do what works for you. If you're happy with those choices, go for it. Be careful on sizing with bibs though, the suspenders often make it a little more tricky. Also, loads of cyclists wear yellow, it's a safe color to wear, there's nothing wrong w/ that.
Old 10-06-11, 12:02 AM
thatguy512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's so much team clothing and i have not the slightest idea about teams.Wouldn't people throw sticks and stones at me for wearing team stuff without being on the actual team?

Do i just care too much about appearance?
Old 10-06-11, 12:05 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by thatguy512
There's so much team clothing and i have not the slightest idea about teams.Wouldn't people throw sticks and stones at me for wearing team stuff without being on the actual team?

No. Yes.
Old 10-06-11, 12:06 AM
thatguy512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Top Gunner
For the price you are willing to pay, whatever you buy is going to be poor quality, unless you find it used or on a super closeout deal. I would save, buy the items one at a time, and get high quality stuff on sale. The difference in the way they feel and perform is worth it. But ultimately, do what works for you. If you're happy with those choices, go for it. Be careful on sizing with bibs though, the suspenders often make it a little more tricky. Also, loads of cyclists wear yellow, it's a safe color to wear, there's nothing wrong w/ that.
Is high quality something i really need though?I'm not that serious yet to be spending $60+ on a jersey.What would the difference be a more expensive piece compared to something of lesser value?I mean it's just clothes right?I though when you pay high prices for jerseys would be cuz the name on it.Would it just be better construction or better moisture wicking materials?I know when it comes to shorts the more plies it has the tighter fit it would be
Old 10-06-11, 12:24 AM
caloso

Personally, I don't care if people wear the team kit, but I do have a thing about the trophy jerseys like the maillot jaune, maglia rosa, and the rainbow jersey. But I'm funny that way.
Old 10-06-11, 12:28 AM
caloso

Is high quality something i really need though?I'm not that serious yet to be spending $60+ on a jersey.What would the difference be a more expensive piece compared to something of lesser value?I mean it's just clothes right?I though when you pay high prices for jerseys would be cuz the name on it.Would it just be better construction or better moisture wicking materials?I know when it comes to shorts the more plies it has the tighter fit it would be
No, it's not just clothing. At least not the shorts. It's equipment and more specifically it's an interface. One thing I've learned is there are places on your bike where you can cheap out (like stems, for example), and there are places where you want to spend what it takes. Interfaces between you and your bike -- handlebar and tape; pedals and shoes; and saddle and shorts -- are places where you definitely want to spend a bit more to get what fits you and makes you comfortable.
Old 10-06-11, 01:35 AM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Better gear significantly adds to the enjoyment of the ride and it also often lasts much longer than cheap gear.
Old 10-06-11, 03:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I first bought it in yellow due to it's visiability but then soon realized i look like some wana be Lance Armstrong.(maybe thats all in my head but i noticed no one wears yellow )
It's all in your head.

I have a short sleeved yellow jersey, a hi-vis yellow long-sleeved jersey, a couple hi-vis yellow vests, and a couple hi-vis yellow jackets.

I really like all of them, and one of the things I particularly like is that I know I'm visible from some distance off. I know that because I can see Rowan from some distance off when he wears all his hi-vis yellow stuff.
Old 10-06-11, 04:17 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
i've been cycling for a few months and i want a better kit. Currently i own 2 Canari shorts and a casual jersey from performance.I first bought it in yellow due to it's visiability but then soon realized i look like some wana be Lance Armstrong.(maybe thats all in my head but i noticed no one wears yellow )

I was considering getting one of these bib shorts

1) https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...7_10000_202491

2) https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1#ReviewHeader

and a jersey

1) https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...7_10000_202492

2)https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._10000__202492

I dont like my club fit jersey since it flaps when i ride so i wanted a form fitting jersey.I couldn't find many reviews on the jerseys and was wondering if anyone on BF had anything to say about them.I don't really want to spend more than $40 each on the jersey and shorts.
Never the two shall meet.
Old 10-06-11, 04:30 PM
thatguy512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HokuLoa
+1 Better gear significantly adds to the enjoyment of the ride and it also often lasts much longer than cheap gear.
No, it's not just clothing. At least not the shorts. It's equipment and more specifically it's an interface. One thing I've learned is there are places on your bike where you can cheap out (like stems, for example), and there are places where you want to spend what it takes. Interfaces between you and your bike -- handlebar and tape; pedals and shoes; and saddle and shorts -- are places where you definitely want to spend a bit more to get what fits you and makes you comfortable.
whats the difference between more expensive clothing and cheaper clothing?
Old 10-06-11, 06:06 PM
caloso

whats the difference between more expensive clothing and cheaper clothing?
Better fabrics, dyes, stitching, zippers, grippers, and most importantly, better chamois.
Old 10-06-11, 07:16 PM
thatguy512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better fabrics, dyes, stitching, zippers, grippers, and most importantly, better chamois.
shorts i can understand why i'd want to dish out some more cash since these canari shorts can get uncomfortable from a 20 mile ride,but jerseys i can't justify spending more on a "high quality jersey".Im still relatively new to cycling so i might just not have had enough experience with cycling clothes yet.Is buying one of thoes jersey worth the money i'd pay?What about the Italico bib shorts?
Old 10-06-11, 07:37 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought Pearl Izumi, LG and Sugoi shorts/jerseys from Nashbar for <$40 that's been fine for my needs. I agree the Nashbar branded stuff kinda stinks though.

Tour of California leftover jerseys are good quality, tight fitting and around $30 each. https://amgentourofcaliforniastore.com/
Old 10-06-11, 07:42 PM
thatguy512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idc
I've bought Pearl Izumi, LG and Sugoi shorts/jerseys from Nashbar for <$40 that's been fine for my needs. I agree the Nashbar branded stuff kinda stinks though.

Tour of California leftover jerseys are good quality, tight fitting and around $30 each. https://amgentourofcaliforniastore.com/
See my real issue is wearing a jersey with stuff like that but if you say it's good i'll get it cuz i really want a better jersey.It's weird to wear a jersey that i have no idea where it's from
Old 10-06-11, 11:57 PM
thatguy512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much would i have to spend to get a good jersey?Im having a hard time finding sizes that fit me.Im a short small guy 5'3 115lbs and my chest measures 34"
Old 10-07-11, 08:22 AM
gladiator13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much would i have to spend to get a good jersey?Im having a hard time finding sizes that fit me.Im a short small guy 5'3 115lbs and my chest measures 34"
jersey sizes are going to vary a lot by brand and if the type of fit the maker is going for. I'd say go to your LBS and try a couple on. It's still pretty nice in texas but up north stuff is going on clearance. You might find some closeouts though and could get a good deal.

I agree with everybody else. I started out with what I thought was a good pair of shorts (Pearl Izumi Quest) but after a couple rides I knew they were working so I exchanged them to get the attack shorts and now I'm way happier. I'll probably get picked on for saying this but I actually wear my attack shorts more the the bibs I got because they're that much more comfortable. The bibs are from the local club and were actually cheaper than the shorts by about 20 bucks but I can feel the difference. I just save the bibs for club rides and races to represent them. Don't cheap out. What's $20 or $30 more bucks to be that much more comfortable on your bike.
Old 10-07-11, 08:24 AM
gladiator13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and by the way, bonktown always has nice jersey's for cheap. There's a great castelli jersey there right now for 45 bucks that if I need another jersey I'd be all over. It probably won't be there by the time you check but with so many sales happening you're bound to get something great for a good deal.
Old 10-07-11, 08:52 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
+1 for bonktown and other clearance sales.

you can get decent quality stuff from china-- via ebay or sites like cycling-jersey.net-- it just takes a long ass time to get to you, so you better order 2 months before you need it.

don't put cycling clothes in the dryer. that will significantly reduce the life of lycra and gel, regardless of the quality.