Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

First ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 07:35 PM
Brekke

Bikes: Specialized Camber 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First ride

As things like this usually work out with my family, all it takes is one person to get into something, and before you know it everyone’s doing it. One of my brothers recently asked me to join him and another one of my brothers in getting into MTB, which started with us getting into shape. After a few days of consideration and a quick trip to a local bike shop, I was in.

Now none of us are in shape or at a healthy weight. My whole family is made up of “big people.” I was in highschool the last time I was in shape, or at least near an appropriate BMI. Homeschooled all our lives, we went from an active in-town home to a relatively secluded country home – with internet! Technology ruined everything. You could do amazing things on the internet you’d never be able to do in real life. What’s not to love?

Anyway, at age 31, 5’7” with 250 lbs of ‘me’ to carry around, I definitely needed to do something. I am healthy for where I am - no diabetes, heart or blood pressure issues. I’m able to work my demanding job, on my feet for 10-12 hours a day, 5 days a week. But I am fat, and there’s no hiding that. It’s there… everywhere.

I joined my brothers at their favorite local bike shop, and settled on a Specialized Camber 29. It was an affordable full suspension bike, and a smooth ride. It was also black and yellow, my favorite color combination. I decided to purchase a matching yellow helmet to go with it. With some extra money, we purchased a rather expensive, yet high quality 4 bike hitch to cart our bikes around. Ironically, it was also yellow and black. Everything matched my new yellow and black Rubicon.

We’d decided to ride a bike trail up in Durango, Colorado, as it was a trail we’d ridden together on nearly daily as young kids (back when kids could do that kind of thing alone). I headed to Walmart to get a few extra supplies for the trip. The flat bottomed shoes I’d found (I’m not yet ready for anything fancy) matched my whole set-up perfectly, yellow and black. I even had a matching shirt and short combo ready to go. I’d gone all out, but I was ready. That’s who I am, an all or nothing kind of person.

It reminded me of being back in nursing school, where you started with a suitcase to carry all of your books to class (27 in total), multiple pens, pencils, highlighters, a planner, a 3 ring notebook with the class syllabus and schedule, flash cards, notebooks, calculators, etc. I’d decked myself out in everything I might possibly need, and it only lasted a few weeks. After that, I’d bring a pen and a notebook – one textbook on occasion.

So I got ready to go early this morning, anxious and kind of excited. I put on my fancy matching outfit – shorts exposing my thick, ghostly white legs. My shirt, although comfortable, made every effort to show every last flaw and flabby feature, including my wonderful chicken wings. I’d set up my cheap imitation Camelbak from Walmart, packed it with everything I thought I’d need, and some water too. The system didn’t work well, and I had to unscrew the valve from the tube and drink it like a long straw. The water itself tasted like a pool toy, but at least it was water. I was ready to go!

We loaded the bikes and headed out. With a few short detours to revisit old memories, we headed to the beginning of the trail. Now, it’s been a good 10 years since I’d really ridden a bike longer than to the mailbox and back, so it was new all over again, though there are some things you don’t really forget. My bike was now more advanced than my last cheap Walmart version, with 3 rear gears, and only one of them functional. Shifting was a challenge at first.

The first stretch didn’t seem bad at all, and was actually enjoyable, though I never recalled bike seats being so horrifically uncomfortable. I tried to stand or slide forward as much as possible. At first the handling was a bit difficult, and I had to look about as graceful as a turkey doing ballet. Luckily it didn’t take long to steady the bike and maintain a relatively straight line, though hills made it a little more challenging.

Hills… loved going down them, dreaded going up. Not the short slopes, or even the steep short slopes, but the long ones. The hills that have just enough incline to cause difficulty, and seem to go on forever. The path itself was so crowded, it wasn’t even possible to get much momentum beforehand. I’d try so hard, but eventually the momentum was gone, and once that was gone, it was over. Time to walk.

There were so many uphill battles on the path that I lost count. I loved the downhill coasts, and enjoyed every one of them, though I knew I’d be cursing them on the return trip. Surprisingly though, I only had to get off and walk my bike three times, and only after clearing 1/3 to ½ of the hill. The rest of the hills I forced myself up, focusing on my front tire, determined to keep it moving, looking up every so often to make sure my path was clear.

Biking in groups seemed to make the whole thing more challenging, as we’re all competitive, and it was nearly impossible to give up part way and turn around. You definitely push yourself more when you’re with others. We stuck together and made it through to the end. All in all it was about an hour and a half ride, with 12 miles covered. It was rough and demanding, but we made it through. In end I could swear the legs attached to me were not mine, and for hours after riding I was slightly unsteady on me feet.

Aside from the exhaustion, and the pain in areas I never really knew existed, I had a wonderful time. I can’t wait to go out again next weekend!
Old 03-08-15, 09:56 PM
TerraCottaGamer

Bikes: 2014 Trek Marlin 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome....
Nice choice on the bike. The conventional wisdom is for us clyde to avoid full suspension but you will be fine. Keep it stiff (the suspension that is) and it will be good for you. If you are riding hard packed trails and pavement make it as stiff as you can. For harder trail riding and traditional downhill riding you can loosen it up a bit.

Three pieces of advice on the seat issue...first is that the bike needs to be fit properly. Your LBS should have done this for you when you bought the bike. Second, the seat needs to be the right size for you and stock seats are rarely the right size and/or decent seats for those who spend any amount of time in the saddle. So a new seat may be in order for you. (But I do have some advice for that at the end of this message). Third, the velominati rules specifically address your issue...rule #5 ....harden the **** up!. Seriously - give it some time.

Hills are a love hate relationship but over time become a great physical and mental challenge with the reward being going down (which always seems too short).

12 miles is a long run for your first ride. Good job.

Some suggestions for using biking for getting into shape:
1. Several short rides are better than 1 long ride. It is much better for your health and metabolism to ride 5 miles a day, 5 days a week than to go 15 miles 2 days a week. So set a schedule, or goals, for yourself with that mentality.
2. At this point, it is not about speed or agility. That will come with time. For you, right now, just ride and try to keep a nice consistent cadence the whole ride.
3. Biking is only half the battle. You can bike 100 miles a day but if you do not control your diet then it will not matter. If you are serious about losing weight then you need to read up on nutritional needs. Though you being a nurse I would guess you know that stuff or have a friend who is a nutritionist that can help.
4. Track everything. On the bike you can track distance, speed, elevation and various other things very easily. I suggest Strava, a free app for smart phones with some premium features. The free stuff is plenty unless you get super serious about the sport as a whole. Some guys get into tracking cadence and power and all kinds of stuff but really, for the average guy, that is really not necessary. On the food side - calories and then protein, carbs and fat. Tracking keeps you....um.....on track and accountable to yourself.
5. Be consistent. The more consistent you are the more, and faster, you will see results.

Regarding the seat.....
Obviously comfort is about he most important thing you need on a bike. Too a certain degree, you need to harden up your ass and hands and shoulders and neck. But, there is much to be said for a seat that fits you right. Your local LBS can help measure you and then suggest saddles that fit you best. Many LBS will have a try before you buy program which is nice because saddles can be pricey. But before you rush out to buy a saddle that you think will solve all your problems consider this: just ride. For at least 10 rides. Your ass will be sore but you need to set a baseline for yourself of what is comfy and what is not. In other words, because you just started you will be sore. Even if you had the perfect saddle for you this would still be true. So you need to just ride. If after a couple weeks of riding you are still very sore then go to the LBS and begin shopping saddles. But really there is no need to do it now because your ass does not know what comfy is yet.

I personally rode with my stock saddle for a month - without bike shorts. Then I went saddle shopping. I bought one I thought I would like. To this day I still use it every day - without bike shorts. Shorts would be nice and I am close to getting some. But my thinking is this....if I can find a saddle that is comfy without the shorts then when I do add the shorts that will be icing on the cake.

And that is basically my advice for all gadgets and gizmos. Biking can be ridiculous with all the junk out there. A lot of it is great. But the best thing to do is just ride. You referenced it in your comment -ride like you did when you were a kid. You didn't need shorts and gloves and power meters when you were a kid and you don't need them now. But with time they can be a great addition to your riding. So just ride. Then, after a while, change one thing. Maybe the seat, or new gloves, or clipless pedals and shoes. Then ride more. When the new gadget feels good and you are comfy again then change another thing.
Old 03-08-15, 10:04 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by TerraCottaGamer
Welcome....
Nice choice on the bike. The conventional wisdom is for us clyde to avoid full suspension but you will be fine. Keep it stiff (the suspension that is) and it will be good for you. If you are riding hard packed trails and pavement make it as stiff as you can. For harder trail riding and traditional downhill riding you can loosen it up a bit.
I think that guidance is good for hybrid bikes and super clydes, the OP should be fine mountain biking with a suspension.

But yeah, try to work more riding in your schedule than just once a week. You're off to a good start though.
Old 03-10-15, 05:57 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Your gonna have to do some road riding if you want to get fit. Mountain bikers who don't ride road have no legs or lungs. You don't have to go crazy, an hour a day 4 days a week makes trail rides much more enjoyable.
Old 03-10-15, 09:20 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great story my first ride was ride out 1.5 miles get tired and ride back and take a nap. 12 miles is a huge effort!
Old 03-11-15, 11:02 AM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great first ride!

If you start taking short rides every day and plan your route with a few little hills included, you'll build up stamina for longer rides pretty quickly. My kids and I have been riding 6 miles a day, 5 days a week since September. This past Saturday we went out to a paved trail and rode 21 miles and none of us were sore afterwards. It's fun to be passing people on the hills, people who look like they're in better shape than me and who have bikes designed to go faster than mine. It's even more fun when my 9 year old on her little kid bike is hauling butt up the hills, gleefully saying, "On your left!" as she passes people. They'll pass us again on the flat stretches but they're always surprised when we catch up on hills. I was riding when I weighed 400lbs, and I'm 227lbs now, so my legs are used to moving a whole lot more of me than they have to now.
Old 03-11-15, 12:24 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FANTASTIC!

"12 miles is a long run for your first ride. Good job."

A long ways, and on a trail!

Congrats.
Old 03-11-15, 01:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
right on! nice article, got pics?
Old 03-15-15, 02:43 PM
Brekke

Bikes: Specialized Camber 29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips and encouragement, it's really appreciated. It's also great to see how many other people have been in the same situation, and made so much progress. Definitely feel less alone in this.

I've been making a lot of changes, small changes, to help with the weight loss. I've switched to a healthier diet, smaller portions, given up soda, and increased my water intake. I've joined in with some other co-workers for a weight loss challenge over the spring, and am joining some of them for weight lifting or a short workout. I'm trying to get myself to go out riding at least 3 times a week, if not 5. It's really hard to talk yourself into going on an ride after being on your feet for 12 hours, but I'm pushing myself into it.

Most of my rides have been on paved roads or paths, though I was taken out yesterday on an actual MTB trail. It was a beautiful trail, but it was very challenging, with plenty of hills, a narrow path, mud and sand, and many hazards. It was rough, and I don't plan on riding it again for at least a few weeks until I get myself in better shape. I do have to say it was beautiful, but I want to enjoy it when I ride. For the time being, I think I'll stick to paved or packed dirt trails.

I haven't yet purchased a new saddle, but I was pointed toward padded bike underwear instead, told to buy the new seat if the shorts didn't help enough. My first ride was brutal on my backside, but following rides weren't as punishing. Granted I am still sore, but it's not as bad as it was, and with a little added padding, I should have no problem with it. The bike itself is an amazing bike, and I'm really loving it. With each ride I get better at figuring out my correct gears and which worked best. Today we rode on a paved trail for about 9 miles, complete with some fair hills, even off road sand riding, and I managed to ride the whole thing without walking once, so I am getting somewhere.

I don't have any pictures, but I will have to remember to get some on some upcoming rides. One of my brothers has been recording the rides on his GoPro, so we'll have a log of the progress we've made. Hopefully sometime this summer we'll be able to watch them and see how far we've come.
Old 03-15-15, 05:26 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was talking to a sales guy yesterday about fat bikes, and I told him my best riding is when I ride out of my driveway :-), having to load the bike up on a vehicle makes it way less likely to happen :-).

I get up at 345 every weekday so I can go for a 30 minute jog.....when weather and life permits there is usually more after work, jog or ride, but at least I have my bare minimum daily workout done before I leave for work :-). In warmer weather I could ride at 345 but there are no equipment malfunctions to worry about jogging :-)