Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't understand Walmart's policy

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 11:16 PM
Tcelen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, so I'm getting back into cycling commuting again after a break and gaining a few pounds (yikes). I go to my local Walmart to pick up some items and the door greeter stops me and says bikes aren't allowed inside. I ask why since they one they sell bikes, two shopping carts are allowed, three handicap motor scooters are zooming around and four they don't have any bike racks. How is me pushing a bicycle slowly by my side dangerous. So I left after he threatened to call security when I asked why.
Old 03-10-18, 11:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Our local Walmart has some good racks... parking for maybe 30 bikes. Some covered under the porticoes, some in the open air.

I'm a little mixed about bringing bikes inside. If it is wet and muddy outside, then the bike stays outside. Otherwise, I don't know. I did bring two of my bikes into a laundromat at different times, and the owner came in said nothing while I was there. The last time I was there, inclement weather, and the bike was locked outside near a window where it could be watched.

Once at a local building supply store, I lamented that I had forgotten my lock and they said to just bring my bike in with me. Of course, no significant food, and wide aisles. The next time I was there... I was told to go away

Of course, taking a bike into Walmart is probably considered a slippery slope. First someone wants to bring a $3000 road bike into Walmart, and the next thing you know, another customer will wish to bring their $200 Walmart bike in.
Old 03-10-18, 11:44 PM
Tcelen

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks and that makes sense, although today it was a beautifully hot day. I guess I don't see any difference in someone pushing a bike around verse the shopping carts that were also mostly sitting outside
Old 03-11-18, 12:00 AM
CliffordK

I agree with you, although at the building supply store, I did find it cumbersome to hold the bike and look at things from bins.

One or two bikes... maybe even ten bikes in the store at a time probably wouldn't be a problem. If they ever got 100 bikes rolling around the store, that might seem a bit excessive. Then again, I've never seen more than a few bikes at the racks at a time.

Perhaps the next time you go to the store, you can ask to talk to the manager about bike racks. Perhaps tie your bike to some handicapped parking signs until they get a rack. Although, I've talked to a few organizations about bike racks, and haven't gotten much of a response.
Old 03-11-18, 12:20 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12769 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
Two Fry's Grocery stores, part of the Kroger grocery company won't let me bring my bike in to buy dinner after work. I will never again shop at Fry's, Kroger, Fred Meyer, etc.

Sprouts grocery and even my local Walmart seem OK with bikes in the store.
Old 03-11-18, 01:15 AM
CliffordK

Most of my riding is bike commuting, so if I'm expecting to stop, I'll bring a lock. However, if I'm heading out to visit friends or family, or doing a "fun ride", I may leave the lock at home. Then there is no stopping. I have to wonder if creating a bike friendly environment would foster more quick stops for the bike crowd, and thus actually generate at least a little extra income.

Of course, there are also those times when I'll have a load that precludes stopping, for example carrying a computer in a trailer.

When I'm pulling a trailer, the bike and trailer stays outside, and I just hope everything that was in it still is in it when I get back out of the store. So far it has generally been OK, although I've had a few bike lights stolen.
Old 03-11-18, 04:46 AM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
probably some kinda liability policy ... say u start riding ur bike in the store and crash or even worse crash into a kid or something then the store would have a huge mess on their hands because they allowed you in with a bike
Old 03-11-18, 11:15 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 441 Posts
It's too bad Walmart does not allow bikes inside. Nevertheless, they have a right to set the rules on their own property. Consumers can retaliate by taking their business elsewhere.
Old 03-11-18, 11:23 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by kap 7
probably some kinda liability policy ... say u start riding ur bike in the store and crash or even worse crash into a kid or something then the store would have a huge mess on their hands because they allowed you in with a bike
They must have implemented the policy after this occurence.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/car-drives-into-dallas-area-walmart
Old 03-11-18, 11:25 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I also have mixed feelings about bringing my bike into business establishments, which is why whenever I go shopping or have to do business in offices I will bring my beater bike(s) that I don't mind locking up outside. I don't want to go through the exactly scenario the OP described. It's their business and they set the policies and rules. Who am I to argue with that? If I don't like them they I won't patronize them.
Old 03-11-18, 01:01 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thankfully bike theft around here is essentially zero. I just leave my bike outside near the rack without locking it, no problems so far.
Old 03-11-18, 02:43 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
DANG, if the WM by me allowed bikes inside there would be mayhem. A bunch of adult trikes, e-bikes, fat tire bikes and others.

I ALWAYS have a lock, with the Paramount, Giant Propel, Spec. Roubaix Expert and grocery grabber.
Old 03-11-18, 02:53 PM
CliffordK

Of course, there are also the businesses that don't allow bicycles or pedestrians outside at their "drive up" windows.
Old 03-11-18, 08:06 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
They'll explain that you can hold them up and get away quickly, they would prefer you have a license plate (to ID you in that case), not to mention nobody expects your inquisition/imposition and you might get squished.

Reasonable enough, there is usually a gas station with food nearby.
Old 03-11-18, 08:08 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
And I don't understand Walmart period. Haven't been in mine in more than 15 years.
Old 03-12-18, 12:21 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had the opposite experience yesterday. While out on an errand run, my wife and I stopped at a local shoe store that often has shoes that fit my size 51 (15 American) feet. I locked our beaters up to the so-so rack they had outside went inside. I found what I wanted in about one minute and then helped my wife to find something. While we were looking at what was on offer, one of the employees noticed my wife's helmet and told her to just bring her bike inside whenever she came there. She explained that the bums who live under the nearby underpasses routinely cut locks and steal bikes. (It was endearing for her to share this knowledge; anyone who has ever ridden in Eugene is more than a little aware of the many chop shops along the bike paths.)

It was darned nice to have someone offer indoor parking.
Old 03-12-18, 01:48 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
And I don't understand Walmart period. Haven't been in mine in more than 15 years.
this response
Old 03-12-18, 02:42 AM
CliffordK

Bringing a bike inside may also depend on the store.

Walmart is busy enough that I wouldn't prop my bike up against a wall unattended... if it went in, it would have to stay with me (or be watched by someone at an attended service desk).

However, there is a local grocery store. Not too awfully busy. I've brought the bike in the door, and left it right inside the door. Did my shopping, then came back and retrieved my bike.

As far as shopping at Walmart or not... from another topic... I don't think Walmart asks for those annoying "memberships" like most of the other local department stores
Old 03-12-18, 04:44 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Of course, there are also the businesses that don't allow bicycles or pedestrians outside at their "drive up" windows.
And then, if you want to go inside to get your food and bring your bike in with you, they will b**ch, gripe, complain, moan and groan about that as well.

At least that has been my experience with clowns, kings and redheads.

Old 03-12-18, 08:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Tcelen
I guess I don't see any difference in someone pushing a bike around verse the shopping carts that were also mostly sitting outside
Do you load up your bike with merchandise that you will then give money to Walmart for? If not, there is the difference.

Also carts do not have greasy chains and tend to stay upright better than bikes due to their design.
Old 03-12-18, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by CliffordK
However, there is a local grocery store. Not too awfully busy. I've brought the bike in the door, and left it right inside the door. Did my shopping, then came back and retrieved my bike.
Done this plenty of times while touring. Only once was I refused. Last year in Wallace, ID. I had a lock and there was a rack outside the store. But also hanging out outside the store was a possible tweeker. My lock was cheap so I asked a cashier if I could bring the bike in. The place was virtually empty and there was an out-of-the-way to place to put the bike. She still shot me down.
Old 03-12-18, 08:33 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
A big shopping cart is like...30-inches wide.

A MTB is 30-inches wide. Plus, a person is like 24-inches wide. You walking down the isle with a bike would be like 54-inches wide. That's like causing traffic problem inside the store.

Beside, you know some jackazz will fly down the isle on their BMX and do stunts, if Walmart bikes inside.
I usually walk with bike angled in a bit, top tube against my thigh. Your width measurement assumes walking with bar plug aligned with shoulder (or wherever the widest part of your body is)
Old 03-12-18, 08:42 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

You walk too close, your shin and bang into the pedals and get bruises.
I've got narrow Q and 520s, no problemo.

Besides angling the bike in, so that pedals are farther out than with a vertical bike, always keep your inside pedal forward.
Old 03-12-18, 08:52 AM
indyfabz

Plus, a person is like 24-inches wide.
I suspect the average Walmart shopper is more than 24" wide.
Old 03-12-18, 08:52 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
the major factor at wal-mart is that they have a person whose only job is to stand at the door

the guy has probably stood there for weeks and said nothing. now here comes mr. bike guy

I worked at a grocery store growing up. never saw anyone bring their bike in the store, but if they had we would have probably just watched

having a "door person" almost guarantees something will be said when the unconventional happens

same can be said for people bringing in food, drink, wearing costumes, skating. it's allowed until someone says it's not allowed, and at wal-mart that person is right there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.