Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever carry an induction hot plate?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Anyone ever carry an induction hot plate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 12:21 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
The threaded butane canisters are available in France at Decathalon Stores, this chain is throughout France.
Old 09-29-18, 11:06 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by EarlVanDorn
... I have fairly severe exercised-induced asthma and general shortness of breath, so it’s my only option (an inhaler before starting and during the ride does help, but doesn’t solve the problem). I am not proud and will often push my bike up hills!...

carry less stuff. not sure of your location, but some of those campsites are up the steep hill from the river in the valley.

why bother with cooking gear at all? you have the three essentials: Bier, Leberkäse und
Brötchen.
Coffee in the morning and go.
Old 09-29-18, 11:42 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
carry less stuff. not sure of your location, but some of those campsites are up the steep hill from the river in the valley.

why bother with cooking gear at all? you have the three essentials: Bier, Leberkäse und
Brötchen.
Coffee in the morning and go.
Prost!
Old 10-28-18, 03:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
UPDATE

Yeah, I know the thread has been dormant for a month, but a quick update here. A month ago I said this.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have a MSR Superfly stove that is supposed to work on both kinds of cannisters in the photo, but I have not had a chance to test it on the unthreaded cannisters yet. I have talked to other campers that carry two stoves if they plan to go to France, one that goes on threaded cannisters and a stove that will go on the unthreaded cannisters for the part of their trip in France.

Yesterday I went to a swap meet where people were selling off old used camping gear. And someone had a couple of the unthreaded type canisters like the left one in the photo. And better yet, they were labeled free since he no longer had a stove that would fit on them. The price was right, so I got them.

I have now confirmed that an MSR Superfly stove will work on both the threaded and unthreaded cannisters like shown in the photo.

And a few years ago Doug64 mentioned that Primus also makes a stove that will work with both types of canisters, that posting is here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/17833663-post3.html

Thus, there are at least two types of stoves that will work on both threaded and unthreaded cannisters.

The issue here is that in some parts of France it is very hard to find the threaded type canisters, instead the unthreaded are prevalent. But in the rest of the world, the prevalent type of butane mix type canisters are the threaded ones. That said, ... ...

Originally Posted by schoolboy2
The threaded butane canisters are available in France at Decathalon Stores, this chain is throughout France.
Neither of the stoves mentioned here work on the old puncture type canisters. I have an old adapter sold by Markhill that could convert the puncture type canisters to the threaded type stoves, but that is an entire different topic.