Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't judge me by your Utopian standards. I live in Dystopia..

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 11:59 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

This is why I only bike for utility purposes any more, and have zero qualms about breaking "The Law" on my bike in New Orleans.

Please judge me by my environment, not your Utopian cycling opinions. I did not write or have anything to do with the creation this newspaper article. But they nailed it and was well researched reflecting the issues we (cyclists) face in NOLA. If I am on my own, then I do what needs to be done to make it back alive. Added a few other fun articles. Cheers.

For New Orleans bicyclists injured in hit-and-runs, the insult comes from city officials

"
A part of all this danger is that New Orleans drivers are often inexplicably angry at cyclists for the audacity of merely existing."

https://www.nola.com/opinions/2018/1...officials.html

"I'm well aware that New Orleans is a treacherous place to ride a bike. "

https://www.nola.com/traffic/index.s...red_in_hi.html

"A 51-year-old New Orleans man was left paralyzed after being struck by a hit-and-run driver while bicycling to work earlier this month near the city's lakefront."

https://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf...ed_in_hit.html

"A series of drive-by paintball shootings in parts of New Orleans have residents on edge after several people have told authorities that they've been injured by paintball pellets while riding their bicycles."

https://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf...paintball.html

"In the past year, members of our club and other folks who ride bikes in New Orleans have been purposefully run off the road, shot at with paintball guns, (and) beaten with baseball bats," the petition states. "Those committing these crimes are doing so because they know that they likely won't be investigated or caught.

https://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf..._sign_pet.html

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-21-18 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 01:25 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
You started a thread just to plead with strangers not to judge you?
Old 10-21-18, 01:52 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Eh. I had a few minutes to do some research. I get scolded for mentioning that cycling in New Orleans is like "going to war" as far as how defensive I have to be out there. This is just corroborating evidence. It is all A&S related stuff.

It's a big world with many different cycling cultures and scenarios, yet some here think we all cycle under the same conditions and bike around the exact same way. It has been said to me that "Walking down the stairs in my house is dangerous as well". So if that nonsense can be said, I feel free to post truth.
Old 10-21-18, 10:27 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Give it up, Joey. Most folks here don't have the miles and experience that you do. They only started riding in this century, and the ones in NOLA-type environments (or ten times better) gave up in short order, so the remaining folks on bikes are those who live where it's not horrific and can't understand.
Old 10-22-18, 12:47 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts

Isn't it interesting that two people can read a thread and walk away with completely different impressions. I guess it's all in the way we approach it. I go into a thread looking for a way to connect with the author of the thread. Others go into a thread looking for a way to start a pissing contest.

Joey, I am so thankful that I don't have to contend with riding in traffic in this area. It really can be a hostile environment for cyclists. The police will not be bothered by an assault on cyclists. They will take a report and no further action.
Old 10-22-18, 03:14 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
It's a big world with many different cycling cultures and scenarios, yet some here think we all cycle under the same conditions and bike around the exact same way.
We kind of do. By the numbers, there simply is no evidence to support that the absolute worst place in the country to ride a bike is all that much worse than the best place. All are equally bad, or equally good ... because the fact is that even in the worst place there are fewer cyclists having negative interactions with motorists than there are people walking drunk through their back yard, and stepping on rusty barbecue tongs and dying from sepsis as a result. The persecution complex shared by many cyclists living in Red States is pure hyperbole. I live (now) in what is arguably the best city to ride a bike in, and it ain't no utopia. At least as many hit and runs take place here as in Florida, Louisiana, Texas or Mississippi. Still, the fact remains that by the numbers, pedestrian fatalities FAR outnumber cyclist fatalities, and driver fatalities eclipse both categories of misery altogether. To be fair, the cycling infrastructure in Red States is apt to lag behind more progressive areas. That's worth griping about. But, and I'm just saying, a better strategy might simply be to leave. I wasn't born in Portland I'm just saying.
Old 10-22-18, 05:26 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I believe some places can be worse than others. I see it on a localized level where I live. I grew up in the city, lived in and out of the city as an adult; but always near the city. I've been riding close to 50 years. I'd be hard pressed to name incidents that have occurred to me in the city; which ironically has a reputation of being a generally more dangerous place to be all around. Off hand I can't think of one intentional incident, however I did once almost t-bone a car running stop sign on residential street while in my teens. In suburbs honking and cursing are yearly occurrences, not quite monthly. Weekly occurrences of folks running up my ass, then swerving around with just enough clearance to intimidate me without clipping me. I believe it's intentional, since the left lane is perfectly clear for miles. They just choose to get as close as possible, within their perception of control to make a point that I don't belong there. I've been intentionally herded off the road once, rolling smoked, and had things thrown at me. Sure it's possible I could get hit, shot, or whatever in the city; but day in day out the near misses are in the 'burbs.
Old 10-22-18, 06:01 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I grew up in New Orleans, worked in a bike shop there, and biked everywhere there for many years. The OP is right. New Orleans belongs on a sort list of cities with terrible drivers.

Last edited by bikemig; 10-22-18 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 07:05 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I haven't ridden a bike in NO since I lived there 40 years ago. It was unique then and I don't expect it has changed much. On the upside, speeds don't tend to be that high so you could often chart a course that gave you more control over the madness. At night you just had to keep moving. And local knowledge helped a lot. One street might be a good route while a parallel street may have a lot of pitfalls. It was exciting then, but I wouldn't want to do it now.
Old 10-22-18, 08:28 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
ITT - People who ride on roads.

Stupidity in the thread, i'm out.
Old 10-22-18, 09:05 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Based on what you hear it isn't safe to go anywhere in New Orleans -- at last at night by yourself -- and, venturing off the main street during Mardi Gras, e.g.,

Although our data suggest caution is required on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras, some blocks produced more crime reports than others. The most criminal stretch was between St. Louis and Toulouse streets, with 26 reports during the period analyzed. That block also had the greatest number of theft reports, with a total of five. This fact should have travelers minding their wallets as they walk this stretch, as well as between Conti and St. Louis streets, where there were four.

Some stretches had more mixed records, such as the area between Bienville and Conti. Although this block had the fewest reports overall, it also led all others in fight, assault, or battery incidents. Conversely, the area between St. Peter and Orleans had no fighting reports but the most for lost property. Perhaps as revelers near the end of their walk down Bourbon, they realize they’ve lost their phones or wallets somewhere along the way.

https://www.safehome.org/resources/m...crime-reports/
Old 10-23-18, 03:17 AM
OBoile

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
I'd make a more substantial reply, but I'm suffering from some cycling PTSD right now. We lost three good men on our last commute. The things I've seen man... the things I've seen. Combat, oops, I mean riding a bike, changes you. You can't unlearn what you've learned.
Old 10-23-18, 09:36 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by gear64
I believe some places can be worse than others.
Obviously. My point is neither of those places (in the U.S.) would be Amsterdam (NL). I doubt a Dutch cyclist thinks there is much difference between Tallahassee and Davis, CA, they wouldn't want to ride a mile in either place. And, yes, it might actually be more salient to focus on the violent crime statistics of different American cities in a discussion like this. Few could disagree on the obvious differences in personal safety in NO vs PDX, to name only two.

H (who can't help but wonder out loud why people who hate where they live so much don't simply leave)
Old 10-23-18, 12:30 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
NO just sounds like an awful awful place to live. Rampant shooting at bicyclists. I feel sorry for resident of NO. They must live in constant fear and worry. Sounds like there's no law and order.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 10-23-18 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 12:43 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
H (who can't help but wonder out loud why people who hate where they live so much don't simply leave)
NOLA is the most liberal city I can afford to live in. Beautiful, mild winters. Everything is green and lush year round. The city is relatively small - I can get anywhere on a bike in 20 minutes from the city center. The people are AWESOME when not behind the wheel of a car. Flat as a pancake.

I have tried other places: Los Angeles / Santa Monica, CA. Lake Placid, NY, St. Louis, MO. Charlottesville, VA. Seattle, WA. Baton Rouge, LA. All either too cold or too expensive. Or too conservative. Mainly, I like FREEDOM. No one here gives two hoots who you are, what you look like, who you bed with, what gender you consider yourself, rich or poor, party affiliation, etc. And within reason, very few laws get enforced. Just try not to kill anybody and it's all good. Every city our size has safety issues and other things that suck. I have to live somewhere. I'll go with freedom for now.
Old 10-23-18, 01:20 PM
Leisesturm

NOLA is the most liberal city I can afford to live in. Beautiful, mild winters. Everything is green and lush year round. The city is relatively small - I can get anywhere on a bike in 20 minutes from the city center. The people are AWESOME when not behind the wheel of a car. Flat as a pancake.

I have tried other places: Los Angeles / Santa Monica, CA. Lake Placid, NY, St. Louis, MO. Charlottesville, VA. Seattle, WA. Baton Rouge, LA. All either too cold or too expensive. Or too conservative. Mainly, I like FREEDOM. No one here gives two hoots who you are, what you look like, who you bed with, what gender you consider yourself, rich or poor, party affiliation, etc. And within reason, very few laws get enforced. Just try not to kill anybody and it's all good. Every city our size has safety issues and other things that suck. I have to live somewhere. I'll go with freedom for now.
No worries. Rock on. No more of these rants against your fair city's cycling culture then. You can't have everything. You do know that, right?
Old 10-23-18, 01:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

No worries. Rock on. No more of these rants against your fair city's cycling culture then. You can't have everything. You do know that, right?
No rant. Justification for giving up recreational cycling here. I choose to limit the danger by limiting my exposure, which is one sure way to not get killed on my bike - don't ride it. Next time I read "Using the stairs in your house is dangerous too" I can just RE: this thread instead of responding with the same old "rant" everyone is tired of reading. Including me.
Old 10-23-18, 02:21 PM
Leisesturm

No rant. Justification for giving up recreational cycling here. I choose to limit the danger by limiting my exposure, which is one sure way to not get killed on my bike - don't ride it.
What does that mean exactly, 'giving up recreational cycling'? Why would a driver make a distinction between a rider out for a lark and one that is on his way to work? Most of us don't hammer out Strava KM's on the busy urban arterials. We are in the State Park where the only cars around are the ATV's the Rangers use. Most Parks Service employees avoid targeting road racers for their monthly kill tallys. So, no. The only effective way to limit your 'exposure' is to give up vehicular cycling in favor of exclusively recreational cycling (which is what the majority of cyclists already do!) and the even better way to ensure that you are not ever killed on your bike is simply not to ride it. Ever again. Which of course you are free to also do. At that point, however, you are no longer a cyclist. Your posts will only have relevance in the 'Living Car Free' forum where all the other ex-cyclists come to gripe about how hard it was to live car free and ride a bicycle everywhere so now they drive more than they ever did when they cycled occasionally.
Old 10-23-18, 03:14 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

What does that mean exactly, 'giving up recreational cycling'? Why would a driver make a distinction between a rider out for a lark and one that is on his way to work? Most of us don't hammer out Strava KM's on the busy urban arterials.
Same reason car insurance companies give discounts for low mileage drivers. Their EXPOSURE is limited, therefore less chance of a claim. Same with me. I used to bike for fun, roughly 100-200 miles every weekend in the city as well as rural areas on state highways. I quit every type of cycling except the "must-do" kind - work commute, doctors, grocery, etc. So now I bike 40-50 miles a week on greenways and quiet back streets vs. 240-250 miles a week on every type of roadway. See?

We are in the State Park where the only cars around are the ATV's the Rangers use. Most Parks Service employees avoid targeting road racers for their monthly kill tallys. So, no. The only effective way to limit your 'exposure' is to give up vehicular cycling in favor of exclusively recreational cycling (which is what the majority of cyclists already do!) and the even better way to ensure that you are not ever killed on your bike is simply not to ride it. Ever again. Which of course you are free to also do.
Makes no sense. I meander my way 4 miles to work on 20 mph back streets interrupted by stop signs at nearly every corner. I gave up cycling on 2 to 4-lane state highways with speed limits from 50-70mph and all kinds of wide, fast vehicles from dualie pickup trucks to tractor trailers. So your assessment is just wrong. I do not have access to a state park worth cycling.

At that point, however, you are no longer a cyclist. Your posts will only have relevance in the 'Living Car Free' forum where all the other ex-cyclists come to gripe about how hard it was to live car free and ride a bicycle everywhere so now they drive more than they ever did when they cycled occasionally.
I've been car free since 1989. 30 years without interruption. If I decide to get a car I can certainly still give useful insights on the Car-Free forum. I never said it was "hard to live car-free". I said it's dangerous to ride a bicycle around high speed traffic with drunk/distracted operators behind the wheel - which is everywhere. Best way to take action myself - to do something with MEANINGFUL reductions in danger - is to limit my exposure. Am I not making it clear? I would do same in a car. I am not driving to/from the beach on Labor Day weekend. A high volume of traffic and a high probability people are drunk. Not worth the risk. So...I LIMIT MY EXPOSURE on the roadways and try not to fall down the 4 steps at my house.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-23-18 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 07:18 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Isn't it interesting that two people can read a thread and walk away with completely different impressions. I guess it's all in the way we approach it. I go into a thread looking for a way to connect with the author of the thread. Others go into a thread looking for a way to start a pissing contest.

Joey, I am so thankful that I don't have to contend with riding in traffic in this area. It really can be a hostile environment for cyclists. The police will not be bothered by an assault on cyclists. They will take a report and no further action.
I go into a thread with an open mind and base my posts upon the words in the thread.
In your own words you do not do the same as you are looking for a connection.
Good stuff.
Old 10-24-18, 12:10 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm intrigued by the articles JoeyBike linked to. They are certainly the sort of thing that would put a fright into most folks about the relative risk of riding a bike. The reason I'm interested is because the city I live in has been on a stunning downward trend in bicycle use since 2012. That was, perhaps not coincidentally, when the city went all-in with the Mia Birk mindset that bikes MUST be separated from cars. The justification used was, predictably, safety. That creates a sense that cycling is dangerous, people aren't generally brave, so they stop riding or never start in the first place. At least that's my working hypothesis. The two nearest cities that had any cyclists have seen either stagnation (Portland) or large increases (Corvallis).

Naturally, I looked at the dates of the articles and the cycling trends in NOLA. The ACS data only runs to 2017, so the latest article isn't even in play, but there has been a noticeable decline in cycling in NOLA since 2013, when 3.6% of commuters rode. (2014=3.4, 2015=3.3, 2016=3.3, and 2017=2.9%).

I wonder, when did the press start doing these fear-based cycling articles/videos down in NOLA? Have they been doing them all along? I doubt it. I remember a few years ago JoeyBike was lauding the great improvements to the streetscape in NOLA for cyclists. That was about the time it saw an increase from about half of what is currently is up to that high in 2014.
Old 10-24-18, 09:59 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Random, unverifiable thoughts about the reasons could be anything and worthless for planning... nonetheless-- my guess is, there are instances of people who are still drunk from the night before... who essentially wake up drunk, know they're impaired drivers and purposefully take backroads, coastal routes and side roads that they're not that familiar to get home, avoiding driving on the freeway where they fear being stopped by law enforcement. It's the only thing I can think of as to why someone ends up going out of their way to kill someone, even to the extent of driving up a curb and killing joggers on a corner waiting for the light to change at 7 in the morning. In such a situation and to such people, bicyclists may as well be invisible.
Old 10-24-18, 02:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

I go into a thread with an open mind and base my posts upon the words in the thread.
In your own words you do not do the same as you are looking for a connection.
Good stuff.

Oh, BS. You go into threads to pick fights and insult your betters. It's all you do.
Old 10-24-18, 04:47 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I've read there is a particular intersection in New Orleans that is very dangerous and was the scene of two almost identical horrific fatal accidents where a cyclist was run over by a tractor trailer/18 wheeler in 2005 and 2017, resp.:

Marigny intersection where cyclist was killed was the scene of a nearly identical wreck in 2005

Has there been improvement in that area?
Old 10-24-18, 06:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by vol
I've read there is a particular intersection in New Orleans that is very dangerous and was the scene of two almost identical horrific fatal accidents where a cyclist was run over by a tractor trailer/18 wheeler in 2005 and 2017, resp.:

Marigny intersection where cyclist was killed was the scene of a nearly identical wreck in 2005

Has there been improvement in that area?
That intersection is really nothing special except that tractor trailers are involved. Many streets in NOLA are forbidden to large trucks / buses due to the narrowness and sometimes strength (everything is paved on decaying organic goo - no bedrock). So if a non-savvy cyclist rolls up to a stoplight on the right side of the cab of a right-turning semi (right on red is legal) then they get crushed by the rear wheels of the turning truck. The new bike lane on the right side of turning traffic is the issue. Perfect scenario for a Darwin award. You have inspired me to check on that intersection now.

I never, ever line up on the right side of any truck in the right lane. It's one of those things you don't live to learn from. You have to be insightful about traffic behavior. "What if" that truck turns right? I am always thinking WHAT IF in a car or on a bicycle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.