Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Quarq?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which Quarq?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 07:41 PM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Which Quarq?

I am deciding between the following three Quarqs: DFour91, DZero Carbon, and DZero Aluminum. My understanding is the electronics are identical in all three and the only difference between them is the chainring compatibility and crank arm material.

In your opinion, is the DFour91 worth the extra $100 over the DZero Carbon for the ability to run Shimano rings? I am quite attracted to this as I like the notion of switching between standard and compact depending on my riding location but I'm not sure if it's worth an extra $300 to me right now, as I don't have Shimano rings ($200 for R8000).

Between the DZero C & A, is $300-400 a worthy upgrade for 400 grams? I have an aero bike so I'd like to keep the weight low where I can but again, need someone's experience with one or the other (or both!) to see if they think it'd make a difference. I'm a pretty strong rider so I think I'd notice 400 grams.
Old 10-26-18, 10:32 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'd get the DZero carbon, skip the Shimano specific one.

Save the weight, but keep the ability to use generic (available, not costly) chainrings.

You'll be looking down at those things for a while, & the lighter ones will make you feel faster long after the price difference is forgotten.
Old 10-27-18, 09:12 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Skip the Shimano specific model. I have both. Only reason to do Shimano is to not be limited to chainring SIZE if you can't decide on 110 vs 130.
Old 10-27-18, 10:37 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Don't get a Shimano Specific one. While everyone is going to asymmetric and proprietary chainring design - resist. Also currently Shimano rings tend to wear out fairly quickly when compared to just about all others. They do shift better on an all Shimano drivetrain but that's not really saying too much as others shift very well as well.

Old 10-27-18, 12:46 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
OP hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your question:

The DZero comes in hidden and non-hidden bolt variants. How do I determine which I need or, more accurately, which type of bolt is used by a given chainring? For example, I'm interested in using Extradite Octaramp chainrings. I've looked everywhere and can't figure out which bolts they use...
Old 10-27-18, 01:49 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blazin
OP hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your question:

The DZero comes in hidden and non-hidden bolt variants. How do I determine which I need or, more accurately, which type of bolt is used by a given chainring? For example, I'm interested in using Extradite Octaramp chainrings. I've looked everywhere and can't figure out which bolts they use...
The hidden bolt is a SRAM proprietary thing on their cranks/rings I believe. The SRAM Red rings usually work with both. You would want the non-hidden pattern DZero. That will allow you more options for chainrings. The Octaramp would use the non-hidden ring setup. HTH
Old 10-27-18, 04:49 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by ddub
The hidden bolt is a SRAM proprietary thing on their cranks/rings I believe. The SRAM Red rings usually work with both. You would want the non-hidden pattern DZero. That will allow you more options for chainrings. The Octaramp would use the non-hidden ring setup. HTH
This. Get non-hidden bolt.

That said, Sram Force rings come in a duel option version, with two pins to keep the chain from dropping between the chainring and crankarm.
Old 10-29-18, 12:20 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
quarq non hidden bolt + praxis rings is my jam
Old 10-29-18, 02:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Charmed Quark, my favorite subatomic particle.
Old 10-29-18, 05:11 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ddub
Thanks @ddub and @topflightpro!
Old 10-29-18, 06:18 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Enjoy it. DZero is one of the best PMeters available.
Old 10-30-18, 06:29 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
If you are all SRAM, the Red22 branded dZero is the bomb, hidden bolt and all. Otherwise, the Quarq branded dZero w/ non hidden bolt is the same size, weight and features.

Another pro tip... one version back has all the features I care about and can be picked up pretty cheap (well at least for bike stuff ugh!) on ebay. Sometimes complete with chainrings if you're patient. (I think dZero has more/better bluetooth support, but I care dZero about bluetooth. Ant+ for all bike stuff.)