Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddlebag Alternatives

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddlebag Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 11:42 AM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I use a KEG from hammer nutrition for most of my rides. It fits into one of my bottle cages and holds tubes, levers, wrench, etc. Works great. On rides where I need both bottles I put on a saddlebag.
Old 10-11-18, 08:34 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Half my friends have a taillight that effectively warns either aircraft or overtaking squirrels but not any cars behind them. The LED lights used in modern tail lights are very directional and when aimed right can be seen from half a mile away while using very little energy.

Bag mounted lights are useless as are those lights that are rubber banded onto a seat stay. Look at that photo of the Garneau saddlebag, clearly the light points skyward. I don't think your riding partners would like that light turned on either.

It's worth the effort to go to the light manufacturer's website and ordering a proper hard mount for your tail light.
Old 10-11-18, 09:32 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl
Half my friends have a taillight that effectively warns either aircraft or overtaking squirrels but not any cars behind them. The LED lights used in modern tail lights are very directional and when aimed right can be seen from half a mile away while using very little energy.

Bag mounted lights are useless as are those lights that are rubber banded onto a seat stay. Look at that photo of the Garneau saddlebag, clearly the light points skyward. I don't think your riding partners would like that light turned on either.

It's worth the effort to go to the light manufacturer's website and ordering a proper hard mount for your tail light.

+1 Those chainstay mounted lights are pretty worthless,

& it doesn't take much riding behind one to notice that.

AFAIK the saddle bag, modern sloping top tube bikes (such as OPs Jamis) have enough seatpost showing so that

a light at the top of the seat tube works fine. I don't see the problem unless the frame is seriously too big, or using a bikepacking seatpack.

I have a not-small seat bag, & there is still 4" of space available below it for light mounting.

DrIsotope could fit a half dozen lights under his saddle bag.

Last edited by woodcraft; 10-11-18 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 05:56 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl
Look at that photo of the Garneau saddlebag, clearly the light points skyward.
No it doesn't.

Old 10-12-18, 08:37 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Capsule tool bottles like this are great if you only need one bottle

I've also used a neoprene pencil case in middle jersey pocket, and Rapha Essentials Case (large) works well
Old 10-14-18, 08:18 PM
wankerdude

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I backed one on Kickstarter a few months back. Not sure if there are any on there now though.
Old 10-16-18, 03:22 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I've always found those loops useless. The light flops around and/or doesn't even aim anywhere but down at the road and not at cars behind.
I stuck a few pieces of foam with adhesive backing just below the loop. The foam keeps the light in place (more or less). It also keeps the light level instead of drooping downward. A very inexpensive and reasonably effective fix.
Old 10-16-18, 03:43 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
My DiNotte comes with a variety of mounts so I mount it on one of the seatstays, keeping it away from my seat bag.
Old 10-16-18, 11:36 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by 77Eric
I use a KEG from hammer nutrition for most of my rides. It fits into one of my bottle cages and holds tubes, levers, wrench, etc. Works great. On rides where I need both bottles I put on a saddlebag.
^ - This but it is actually made by Specialized. I got one as a sample at Interbike a bunch of years ago and LOVE it for 90% of my rides. Never comes off the bike and most rides are 1 bottle rides unless I am doing a long gravel ride in mid summer. KEG - Specialized Water Bottles

Old 10-16-18, 12:19 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I found a few zippered, nylon makeup pouches at Target - $1 and the exact size of a jersey pocket. I drop that (2 tubes, 2 CO2s, multi-tool, chuck, tire levers, boot) in the middle pocket, the iPhone (in a ziploc) in the left pocket... leaves the right pocket for food. If I need more food than I can get in that pocket, then I've got a chase vehicle.
Old 10-19-18, 08:40 AM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Specialized "SWAT" toolkit that fits in the nook at the bottom of the frame.

Old 10-19-18, 09:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
^ - This but it is actually made by Specialized. I got one as a sample at Interbike a bunch of years ago and LOVE it for 90% of my rides. Never comes off the bike and most rides are 1 bottle rides unless I am doing a long gravel ride in mid summer. KEG - Specialized Water Bottles
REI carries them as well, under their CO-OP brand name, so they're readily available. Not sure about the other iterations, but the REI ones come with a little stretchy fabric tool roll, which is a nice bonus and keeps stuff from rattling around.
Old 10-20-18, 09:52 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Great thread showing alternative storage techniques.

Thought I would share a couple of mine. OP, you mentioned you are a casual roadie.

Shown are a couple of options.
Btw, I just picked up my new Specialized Allez from the local bike shop who worked a deal with me on my Secteur rust warranty issue.
For those looking for a cost effective road bike, the new Al Allez Elite deserves a hard look...all carbon steerer, Al Tarmac meet endurance geometry. A different bike than the Allez Sprint crit bike...friendlier geometry.

For grins, yesterday, I showed up at the A group ride with it...rack, platform pedals and all. Many of these guys are on $10K carbon wonderbikes. Of course everybody wants to drop the guy with a rack and platform pedals. I could keep pace for the first 20 miles or so. Liking the new bike. I use is for light touring, general riding and carrying stuff with Topeak pannier which snaps on the back. I simply unstrap the Topeak saddle bag which I carry low on the rack as shown and throw it into the pannier box that sits on top of the rack.

Second pic is something I do a fair amount. I am a bit of a fit twit, and always tweaking my saddle position. Having a bag stuck tight under the saddle makes this difficult. For my carbon roadbike I use generally for fast riding, I place a Lezyne Micro Caddy with minimal tools, a couple of inflators and a tube into my rear bottle cage. This works very nicely albeit a very snuggle fit into the Tacx bottle cage. So another option to having a non drinking bottle storage vessel in the rear cage.

Last edited by Campag4life; 10-20-18 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 12:15 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I use one of those containers that sits in the bottle cage. I can't believe I didn't get one sooner. I hardly ever need 2 water bottles. Some of the fancy ones come with compartments. To stop stuff rattling, I put a piece of foam inside the top

Last edited by 531Aussie; 10-23-18 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 06:05 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I use one of these velcro straps on the bottom of my saddle to hold a tube, Co2, and tire lever. I carry another tube, Co2, multi tool, and other assorted things in this zippered container called a Bidon Stuff Bag in my second water bottle cage.

Old 10-24-18, 10:42 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I use one of those little KEG canisters too.
The only problem I encounter is when I'm on a ride that requires two water bottles. I have to pre redistribute everything.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-24-18, 11:19 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I use one of those little KEG canisters too.
The only problem I encounter is when I'm on a ride that requires two water bottles. I have to pre redistribute everything.
Anyone seen/tried the SpeedSleev? It looks nice and it's been led by cyclists. I'm looking for something small and compact for the Bianchi; I use a StickyPod in a pocket with a bunch of stuff today, but it'd be nice to have it all tidy on the bike and stuff...

Speedsleev Ranger | Speedsleev

​​​​​​​
Old 10-24-18, 02:16 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

By the way, this will also work just fine.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-29-18, 10:21 PM
Canuk1w1

Bikes: Miele Laser (Suntour Superbe Pro groupo)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Large Silca tool roll. I'm still faffing to get it mounted on my (new) ISM saddle without tilting, so I carry it in my middle jersey pocket. Small would've sit better on the saddle but i want to carry 2 tubes, 2 CO2 cans and multitool.
Why 2 tubes? 1) I flatted 4 times on a ride from Toronto to Niagara Falls a few years back (the boys covered me - I happily bought a round) and 2) gave an ******* my last tube 80km in two a 240km pull, had to ride the final 100km with 50lb or so in the back tire. Haven't flatted for 2 years but still paranoid...
Old 10-30-18, 05:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit
Anyone seen/tried the SpeedSleev? It looks nice and it's been led by cyclists. I'm looking for something small and compact for the Bianchi; I use a StickyPod in a pocket with a bunch of stuff today, but it'd be nice to have it all tidy on the bike and stuff...

Speedsleev Ranger | Speedsleev
Looks decent.. I think it looks like it''ll accommodate 2 of the "light" variety of tubes, not standard. Basically same idea size as an Arundel Dual but with a velcro closure vs a zipper. Though with the Dual, since it's one cavity, I can also find some room to stuff a couple other odd bits like 2 quicklinks, a couple self-stick patches, and a pair of nitrile gloves.
Old 10-30-18, 07:38 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Looks decent.. I think it looks like it''ll accommodate 2 of the "light" variety of tubes, not standard. Basically same idea size as an Arundel Dual but with a velcro closure vs a zipper. Though with the Dual, since it's one cavity, I can also find some room to stuff a couple other odd bits like 2 quicklinks, a couple self-stick patches, and a pair of nitrile gloves.
I ordered one. See what it is like. $35 isn’t bad ...