Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What To Do With Fixed Gear Riders Who Refuse to Put Brakes on Their Bikes?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What To Do With Fixed Gear Riders Who Refuse to Put Brakes on Their Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 07:53 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
I ran into the guy who nearly ran into me earlier. I tried to make the conversation about a shared passion for bikes and it went something like this:
HIM: Were they forged in Mt Doom?
So we never talked about his brakes. His mind was so fried with god knows what. For those of you who don't know your Tolken. The ring to rule them all were forged in Mt Doom.
His response made me smile. Why would you say his mind is fried when he came up with a quick one liner that got you to immediately go away?
Old 11-14-18, 08:54 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm pretty sure when someone says "nice bike" to me, they're lying to be kind, or to be ironic.
Old 11-16-18, 09:44 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I remember it well. Never going back in there!! They should have thrown away the key to that locked thread.
You didn't fair well in that thread.

Originally Posted by hairnet
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Thanks man!

I just annoy A&S now and then. Make a post or two in Car-Free. Not much else anymore.

Cheers!
I'm sure the people in A&S love your riding methods.
Old 11-16-18, 09:12 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by JW Fas
I'll take static friction over kinetic friction any day.
Static friction is friction between two or more solid objects that are not moving relative to each other. For example, static friction can prevent an object from sliding down a sloped surface.

Is the wheel not moving relative to the brake pad? Is the tire not moving relative to the road?

Maybe you only lean your bicycle against a wall and that is how you obtain your static friction rather than ever riding your bicycle and using kinetic friction.
Old 11-17-18, 12:04 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It must be nice to live where there are so many people on bikes that one has the inclination to discourage someone who isn't riding the "one right way". Where I live, we've seen a massive loss of cyclists this decade and are on track to get to zero by sometime in 2024. Unlike motorists, I rather like seeing people out riding, so I happily accept their different ways of doing it. Seriously, how likely am I to get seriously hurt by someone in a bike crash? I'm more likely to hurt myself in the garden.

The old guy on the e-bike (complete with oxygen tank and tubes to his nose? Check. The youngster on a fixie whose only brakes are his legs and the chain? Check. My neighbor with her e-cargo bike and two kids? Check. The homeless guy with half the spokes missing from his rear wheel? Check. Red-light runner? Cool by me. Old woman on a fixie? Hey, that's my wife.
Old 11-17-18, 12:17 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
On public thoroughfares, brakes are required by law. If they dispute that, just have one of your cops friends remind them.
Old 11-17-18, 01:24 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
It must be nice to live where there are so many people on bikes that one has the inclination to discourage someone who isn't riding the "one right way". Where I live, we've seen a massive loss of cyclists this decade and are on track to get to zero by sometime in 2024. Unlike motorists, I rather like seeing people out riding, so I happily accept their different ways of doing it. Seriously, how likely am I to get seriously hurt by someone in a bike crash? I'm more likely to hurt myself in the garden.

The old guy on the e-bike (complete with oxygen tank and tubes to his nose? Check. The youngster on a fixie whose only brakes are his legs and the chain? Check. My neighbor with her e-cargo bike and two kids? Check. The homeless guy with half the spokes missing from his rear wheel? Check. Red-light runner? Cool by me. Old woman on a fixie? Hey, that's my wife.
The only cyclist that I have issues with are the ones who criticize the cycling of others and homeless guys (and other thieves) that stole the bicycle they are riding.
Old 11-17-18, 02:00 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Had to check to make sure this wasn't a zombie thread from 2008 when fixies were still a thing.
Zombies are always a thing though.
Old 11-17-18, 02:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
The only cyclist that I have issues with are the ones who criticize the cycling of others and homeless guys (and other thieves) that stole the bicycle they are riding.
I also have a problem with the cyclists who kill pedestrians ... I know as a "Serious Cycliste" I should scorn non-cyclist life forms ... sorry, i guess I will get shunned now.
Old 11-17-18, 06:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
If you can catch me when I'm riding fixed then you have earned the right to lecture me about how to build and ride it.

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2018-...z-custom-37179

I'd prefer a conversation over coffee though.

-Tim-
Old 11-17-18, 06:17 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
When first entering this thread, I assumed it was a zombie from say 5-10 years ago. Because the fixed gear thing is totally dead.

in any case, your best protection from reckless brakeless riders is the legal system and lawyers. If you get injured, go in front of a judge and see how sympathetic he or she will be to the merits of brakeless bicycles.

Lawyers: employ rapacious contingency fee lawyers who who will wage a multi-year legal war of attrition until the defendant and all of his relatives are bankrupt. If the parents of the fixed gear rider have pensions and own a home, all the better.
Old 11-17-18, 07:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Because the fixed gear thing is totally dead.
By who's reckoning?

-Tim-
Old 11-17-18, 07:54 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I also have a problem with the cyclists who kill pedestrians ... I know as a "Serious Cycliste" I should scorn non-cyclist life forms ... sorry, i guess I will get shunned now.
Unlike motorists, what happens to a pedestrian happens to a cyclist. You might want to think again about that one.
Old 11-17-18, 07:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Unlike motorists, what happens to a pedestrian happens to a cyclist. You might want to think again about that one.
So .... if a cyclist hits and kills a pedestrian he hits and kills himself? What?

What you have posted is ... a bit unclear, shall we say? Please restate it in different terms.
Old 11-17-18, 08:32 PM
KraneXL

So .... if a cyclist hits and kills a pedestrian he hits and kills himself? What?

What you have posted is ... a bit unclear, shall we say? Please restate it in different terms.
Its not that complex:

Is there a completely safe way for a cyclist to run into an object without incurring injury to himself? You make it appear as if the cyclist wouldn't do everything possible to avoid an a collision.
Old 11-17-18, 08:37 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
I ran into the guy who nearly ran into me earlier.
So you're even now. Good job!
Old 11-17-18, 09:25 PM
Maelochs

Its not that complex:

Is there a completely safe way for a cyclist to run into an object without incurring injury to himself? You make it appear as if the cyclist wouldn't do everything possible to avoid an a collision.
Really, sir, you should try harder to understand before you try so hard to refute.

There have been several incidents in great Britain where a brakeless fixie rider killed a pedestrian.

The cyclist did Not do everything possible to avoid the accident ... because by running an illegal, brakeless bike the rider made the accident vastly more likely.

Brakeless fixies CANNNOT stop as quickly as a bike with brakes. If you can Disprove that, go ahead.

So ... a person riding a brakeless fixie should only ride A.) very slowly, so as to be able to avoid accidents in situations where obstructions might appear suddenly or B.) on a track.

Since the fixie riders did NOT ride at a low enough speed as to avoid the pedestrians, the fixie riders did Not do everything possible to avoid accidents.

None of that has anything to do with the earlier post about "
The cases in England prove that you are wrong, because the pedestrians died and the cyclists were uninjured.

Sorry to be using facts and logic. I will try to restrain myself in future.
Old 11-17-18, 09:39 PM
KraneXL

Really, sir, you should try harder to understand before you try so hard to refute.

There have been several incidents in great Britain where a brakeless fixie rider killed a pedestrian.

The cyclist did Not do everything possible to avoid the accident ... because by running an illegal, brakeless bike the rider made the accident vastly more likely.

Brakeless fixies CANNNOT stop as quickly as a bike with brakes. If you can Disprove that, go ahead.

So ... a person riding a brakeless fixie should only ride A.) very slowly, so as to be able to avoid accidents in situations where obstructions might appear suddenly or B.) on a track.

Since the fixie riders did NOT ride at a low enough speed as to avoid the pedestrians, the fixie riders did Not do everything possible to avoid accidents.
And may I suggest you try harder to be more clear.

None of that has anything to do with the earlier post about " The cases in England prove that you are wrong, because the pedestrians died and the cyclists were uninjured.

Sorry to be using facts and logic. I will try to restrain myself in future.
A fact, perhaps, but far from logic.
Old 11-18-18, 12:32 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Brakeless fixies CANNNOT stop as quickly as a bike with brakes.
There are box store bikes that challenge that point of view.

And by such logic, only top end disk brakes should be allowed on every bicycle.

Fixed gear bikes are legal in some locations. Some laws only specify the distance a bicycle must be able to stop within from a certain speed and do not specify the method for stopping.
Old 11-18-18, 12:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
You could ask them if they've ever broken a chain.
Old 11-18-18, 02:30 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by CB HI
There are box store bikes that challenge that point of view.

And by such logic, only top end disk brakes should be allowed on every bicycle.

Fixed gear bikes are legal in some locations. Some laws only specify the distance a bicycle must be able to stop within from a certain speed and do not specify the method for stopping.
In the event of an accident, I'm pretty sure a judge wouldn't consider your "device" a viable alternative to standard bike brakes no matter how functional you think they might be.

Old 11-18-18, 09:41 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my locale, I've seen more regular bikes with malfunctioning brakes than fixies with no brakes. Just last week, I saw a schoolkid do a Fred Flintstone stop at a busy intersection.
Old 11-18-18, 10:40 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
In my locale, I've seen more regular bikes with malfunctioning brakes than fixies with no brakes. Just last week, I saw a schoolkid do a Fred Flintstone stop at a busy intersection.
This is how the majority of cyclists operate in New Orleans. No brakes. Thankfully, they don't ride very fast knowing they will be dragging their feet to stop. The issue is most of the bikes around the city are ancient Wal-Mart bikes that have been stolen and re-stolen multiple times by people with little money to repair them. The wheels are so out of true that the brakes must be disconnected for the wheels to turn. Coaster brake bikes being the exceptions of course. But even then, neglect can kill coaster brakes as well.
Old 11-18-18, 11:37 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by CliffordK
You could ask them if they've ever broken a chain.
And I have had a brake cable break, even though I do regular checks.
Old 11-18-18, 11:43 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

In the event of an accident, I'm pretty sure a judge wouldn't consider your "device" a viable alternative to standard bike brakes no matter how functional you think they might be.

I have heard about some tickets getting dismissed by judges for no brakes and then other judges only reducing the fine. So you should not be so sure; there are judges that do follow the law when a fixie can show they meet the stopping distance.

And since bicycles take more distance to stop than cars with proper brakes, do you believe cyclist should always be held responsible because they cannot stop as quickly?

Last edited by CB HI; 11-18-18 at 11:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.