Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

why have extra set of wheels when you can just change out the tires?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 01-10-19, 11:34 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

it's pretty common for people to have multiple pairs of wheels with different purposes. like for a gravel bike, you might have a set of wheels for light gravel, and another with knobbies for more rocky or muddy trails, and maybe one to go fast on smooth road.

However, it seems that with most disc brake wheels, you have to redo the caliper position with each wheel change, in order to prevent rubbing. I feel like it's almost easier to just have one set of wheels, and multiple set of tires. It takes hardly more effort to change out the tires than wheels, I feel.

What do you guys think about this?
Old 01-11-19, 12:27 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I just bought a second set of wheels after too many pinch flats so I could run my gravel/dirt tires tubeless and lower pressures. I was tired of swapping between road and gravel tires as well. What had been a bit of fun had become a chore. Its not perhaps the most economically savvy thing to do, but fortunately i found some nice enough rims on sale, but i also had to buy a 2nd set of rotors. I find aligning post mount BB7 calipers pretty easy, maybe other systems are more tricky.
Old 01-11-19, 12:33 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,910 Times in 2,543 Posts
I hate changing tires when I don't have to. Too much that can go wrong and if I am doing it just before I head out, those delays costs me ride time or on time arrival. (You have just given me more reason to wait on discs. I love the fast reliable changes of rim braked wheels. Even my bolt-on fix gear wheels change fast.) I feel much better about changing tires when I have say a night for problems to become obvious.

All my bikes have or share at least one more rear wheel than I have bikes of that standard and I have several more front wheel than bikes. (Four rear wheel standards and 3 dropout spacings. I love being able to just walk into the garage, decide the bike, grab the wheels/tires I want and go.)

Ben
Old 01-11-19, 04:48 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
If you run tubeless, changing tires filled with sealant is kind of a mess. Maybe not a big deal if you’re changing tires once a season.
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 01-11-19, 06:15 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I use an extra set to switch between road and gravel tires- easy/fast swap and I don't have to reset the calipers to prevent rubbing.
Likes For srode1:
Old 01-11-19, 06:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,937 Times in 4,672 Posts
If you're running tires tubeless, it's not so easy and quick to change 'em out.

Some people run different wheels for different purposes -- e.g., lighter wheels for racing.

Some people even run different wheel sizes for different purposes.

If you don't want a second wheelset, great. But other people have different needs.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-11-19, 08:40 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
However, it seems that with most disc brake wheels, you have to redo the caliper position with each wheel change, in order to prevent rubbing. I feel like it's almost easier to just have one set of wheels, and multiple set of tires. It takes hardly more effort to change out the tires than wheels, I feel.

What do you guys think about this?
Hydraulic calipers are self adjusting. May be a pain with cable operated.
I've heard of the problem but haven't experienced it.
Potentially you could have shifting problems with changing the rear wheel too.

I did get tired of adjusting the calipers when I changed rims of different widths.
Old 01-11-19, 08:42 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
If you run tubeless, changing tires filled with sealant is kind of a mess. Maybe not a big deal if you’re changing tires once a season.
Also, come winter, mounting/unmounting studded tires tends to result in bruised/bloody knuckles.
Old 01-11-19, 09:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I hate changing tires when I don't have to. Too much that can go wrong and if I am doing it just before I head out, those delays costs me ride time or on time arrival. (You have just given me more reason to wait on discs. I love the fast reliable changes of rim braked wheels. Even my bolt-on fix gear wheels change fast.) I feel much better about changing tires when I have say a night for problems to become obvious.

All my bikes have or share at least one more rear wheel than I have bikes of that standard and I have several more front wheel than bikes. (Four rear wheel standards and 3 dropout spacings. I love being able to just walk into the garage, decide the bike, grab the wheels/tires I want and go.)

Ben
Same. On my CX bike, it’s literally less than a minute. Any adjustment is a half twist of barrel adjuster on the brake cable.
Old 01-11-19, 10:18 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
If you have to adjust caliper position when you change wheels, you're doing it wrong. That's a separate problem.
Old 01-11-19, 11:07 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I can't run 650B tires on 700C wheels
Old 01-11-19, 01:15 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
If you have to adjust caliper position when you change wheels, you're doing it wrong. That's a separate problem.
Ditto. This and tubeless is really the answer.
Old 01-11-19, 01:23 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I just run separate bikes. Much easier.
Old 01-11-19, 01:30 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I just run separate bikes. Much easier.
+1

But I've experimented enough last year and found that for road (paved, dirt, gravel) riding different tires and wheels don't make enough of a difference that it's worth changing, for recreational riding or really for most racing too. I have preferences but objectively the outcome is the same regardless of wheelsize or tire type.

Otherwise, tires, especially tubeless tires, have a finite amount of installation and removal cycles. Wheels don't, space/shim your rotors and wheel changes are easy and fast.
Old 01-11-19, 02:10 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
As someone stated above, if you only switch out twice a year, spare tires make sense. And if you have enough spare bikes, you can get by without spare tires or wheels. But otherwise, if you're at all serous about running different tires for different conditions, a second wheelset is the only solution. It's literally a 45-second swap. Compare that to prying off the tires, installing new ones (with possibly different tubes), and inflating them. Add tubeless to the equation, and it's even more of a PITA. I run the same brand and size of rotors on both wheelsets and have bedded them in with the existing pads, so there are zero brake adjustments necessary. Pull off the wheels, slap in the substitutes, and ride.
Old 01-13-19, 08:10 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
While I don't have multiple wheelsets, if I wanted to change out my tire regularly I would have extra wheels. Changing tires on my winter bike is simple - wire beads & no tubeless setup. My gravel bike is a little more labor intensive. It is setup for tubeless and the tires / wheels that I have are a very tight fit. The only time these tires will ever be dismounted is for flats and when they are worn to the point of permanent replacement.
Old 01-14-19, 02:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
I have enough trouble getting out of the house as it is
Old 01-16-19, 01:43 PM
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spare wheels are a great time saver/convenience for travel rides and tours. I have a Seven Evergreen with HED Belgium wheels as the standard and bought a set of HED Ardennes as a second set. I generally run Schwalbe All Arounders on the Belgiums and alternate between road slicks or heavier treads for mud riding on the Ardennes, but right now I have studded knobbies on for Winter snow and off road riding. I'll change these up if needed for a trip where I'm bringing just the one bike and plan on doing more than one type of riding. With the permanent addition of a single washer on the thru axle wrench, the wheels fit my hydraulic discs the same with no adjustments needed.

Switching wheels is faster and much easier - The HED rims are 25mm wide tubeless ready, so many tires are an absolute ***** to remove and install. The All Arounders are particularly bad, requiring the use of a Park seating tool to mount, so I prefer to keep them on all the time. And I have broken quite a few plastic tire wrenches as well.