Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help before purchasing first Bianchi

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-28-19, 11:50 AM
jahdiel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am trying to buy a steel Bianchi road bicycle for about $200. I would like to know what year it is from and the model to do more research on it. I would like to know somethings I should watch out for or things to fix before they become problems later on. Last thing, where could I find the exact same shade of paint or set of decals?
Old 05-28-19, 12:17 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Are you looking at a certain bike specifically or just wanting a Bianchi in general?

Old catalogs are available online but sparse. Users T-Mar and Bianchigirll have extensive knowledge and catalogs at their personal disposal. If you find a bike post detailed pictures and the forum can help.

The Bianchi Celeste color has changed over time. There is not one "Celeste".

Regarding decals, for a big brand like Bianchi there are a lot of repros made, but a more obscure decal might require you to get it custom made from a photo, which is expensive.

I would stay away from repainting unless absolutely necessary.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 05-28-19, 12:29 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
I wouldn't overthink this purchase. Make sure it's not a fake (very low chance of that really), that the frame isn't cracked (probably the most important thing), and everything else is replaceable, fixable, and consumable.
Old 05-28-19, 12:29 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
I am trying to buy a steel Bianchi road bicycle for about $200.
Me too! Look on Ebay or Craigslist or Bike Forums Classified.

I would like to know what year it is from and the model to do more research on it.
Can't help with model but you can identify the vintage by using the information in How Old Is My Bicycle?

I would like to know somethings I should watch out for or things to fix before they become problems later on.
Understanding Vintage Bicycle Quality and well, take some time to look at other helpful articles and many of your questions will find answers. And, you will save yourself time, effort, frustration, error and cash.

And, if you can get away from the computer as a hunting tool, for a while, try these Vintage Bicycle Finding Methods and you just might, with little effort and little cash end up with a pretty decent bicycle, such as this lovely 1976 Super Mondia...
Old 05-28-19, 12:35 PM
jahdiel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I wouldn't overthink this purchase. Make sure it's not a fake (very low chance of that really), that the frame isn't cracked (probably the most important thing), and everything else is replaceable, fixable, and consumable.
How would I know it’s a fake?
Old 05-28-19, 12:40 PM
jahdiel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Are you looking at a certain bike specifically or just wanting a Bianchi in general?

Old catalogs are available online but sparse. Users T-Mar and Bianchigirll have extensive knowledge and catalogs at their personal disposal. If you find a bike post detailed pictures and the forum can help.

The Bianchi Celeste color has changed over time. There is not one "Celeste".

Regarding decals, for a big brand like Bianchi there are a lot of repros made, but a more obscure decal might require you to get it custom made from a photo, which is expensive.

I would stay away from repainting unless absolutely necessary.
I am looking at a specific bike and I cannot post pictures until I make 10 posts which sucks. /: How do I look for the catalogs on the forums? Or for decals?
Old 05-28-19, 12:41 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by jahdiel
How would I know it’s a fake?
Get some good photos up, and let the forum have at it. If anything doesn't look correct, there's gonna be somebody here who's going to point it out.
Old 05-28-19, 12:45 PM
ridelikeaturtle

I am looking at a specific bike and I cannot post pictures until I make 10 posts which sucks. /: How do I look for the catalogs on the forums? Or for decals?
Ah, 10 posts you'll have in no time. Participate in a few discussions, don't take anything personally, and wait the predetermined amount of time (not sure what that is exactly), and before you know it you'll have hundreds.
jahdiel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Get some good photos up, and let the forum have at it. If anything doesn't look correct, there's gonna be somebody here who's going to point it out.
I will post some when I get to 10 posts. The only noticeable flaws I saw was dirtiness and scrubs/scratches on the paint.
Likes For jahdiel:
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
@jahdiel

I would recommend searching for a Bianchi that you find suitable for you and within your price range. A Celeste bianchi will cost slightly more than 200 bucks but they do turn up with luck under that.

Secondly make sure you have the right size in mind. We wouldn't want you buying a bike thats too small or big.

Id be more worried about repainted Bianchi rather than a FAKE. Repainted Bianchi sellers ask ridiculous prices.

If you find a bike you like post it here and we can help
Likes For malcala622:
Old 05-28-19, 12:46 PM
ridelikeaturtle

I will post some when I get to 10 posts. The only noticeable flaws I saw was dirtiness and scrubs/scratches on the paint.
What's "dirtiness and scratches" to some is "patina" to others
Old 05-28-19, 12:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
fit...it has to fit no matter how good a deal it is

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-28-19, 12:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
With a $200 budget, I wouldn't be fixated on a brand. Bianchis command a premium and you can do better by spreading a wider net.
Old 05-28-19, 01:08 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
How do I look for the catalogs on the forums?
Don't limit your search for Bianchi Catalogs to the Bike Forums. Just Google Bianchi Catalog and see what you get. Lots to choose from...
Old 05-28-19, 01:46 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 148 Posts
I have no idea why the bike has both downtube and stem shifters, but the DT shifters at least seem to be connected to the derailleurs.

Pic assist:

Old 05-28-19, 02:56 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the Bianchi logo style the subject bicycle is 1990-1991. Based on the model name remnants, it would appear to be a Forza, which was an entry level, sport model, 2nd from the bottom of the road bicycle product line. The presence of dropout eyelets are consistent with the Premio and Forza models of the era. The Forza was typically equipped with Shimano Exage 500EX derailleurs and 400EX crankset, brakes.and hubs but I see Exage Motion brakes which were discontinued at the end of 1989 and a 105SC rear derailleur. Obviously, it has been frankenbiked to an extent. The frame was made in Asia from an unidentified Tange CrMo double butted tubeset. MSRP was $425 US or $475 US, depending on the exact year.

The subject bicycle is only in fair cosmetic condition and does not appear to have been well cared for, with lots of dirt, scratches and some rust. Generally, this does not bode well for mechanical condition. At $200, I'd pass.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-28-19 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-28-19, 04:20 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,954 Posts
At $200, my guess is it will be a Taiwanese/other Bianchi with none of the panache, and allure, but some decent bikes from the 80s.

Like others have said...straight frame, fit and wheels.

$200 might buy a better riding Cannondale.
Old 05-29-19, 05:52 PM
jahdiel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by malcala622
@jahdiel

I would recommend searching for a Bianchi that you find suitable for you and within your price range. A Celeste bianchi will cost slightly more than 200 bucks but they do turn up with luck under that.

Secondly make sure you have the right size in mind. We wouldn't want you buying a bike thats too small or big.

Id be more worried about repainted Bianchi rather than a FAKE. Repainted Bianchi sellers ask ridiculous prices.

If you find a bike you like post it here and we can help
Why does a repainted bianchi go for so much?

Last edited by jahdiel; 05-29-19 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 05:57 PM
jahdiel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Based on the Bianchi logo style the subject bicycle is 1990-1991. Based on the model name remnants, it would appear to be a Forza, which was an entry level, sport model, 2nd from the bottom of the road bicycle product line. The presence of dropout eyelets are consistent with the Premio and Forza models of the era. The Forza was typically equipped with Shimano Exage 500EX derailleurs and 400EX crankset, brakes.and hubs but I see Exage Motion brakes which were discontinued at the end of 1989 and a 105SC rear derailleur. Obviously, it has been frankenbiked to an extent. The frame was made in Asia from an unidentified Tange CrMo double butted tubeset. MSRP was $425 US or $475 US, depending on the exact year.

The subject bicycle is only in fair cosmetic condition and does not appear to have been well cared for, with lots of dirt, scratches and some rust. Generally, this does not bode well for mechanical condition. At $200, I'd pass.
Could you simplify this a bit for me?
Old 05-29-19, 06:08 PM
malcala622

Why does a repainted bianchi go for so much?
Because the seller raises the asking price above market value to recover the expenses spent on repainting.
Old 05-29-19, 06:22 PM
jahdiel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because the seller raises the asking price above market value to recover the expenses spent on repainting.
Oh okay I understand. How expensive could repainting actually cost because that seems crazy.
Old 05-29-19, 06:25 PM
malcala622

Oh okay I understand. How expensive could repainting actually cost because that seems crazy.
Anywhere from a $80 powdercoat to a $800 professional repaint...it'll vary on who you get it painted from.
Old 05-29-19, 06:49 PM
jahdiel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anywhere from a $80 powdercoat to a $800 professional repaint...it'll vary on who you get it painted from.
Jeez that’s a lot more than I would bargain for
Old 05-29-19, 10:23 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
OP As has been said above if you budget is $200 you can probably find a very nice bike if you aren't fixated on a particular brand. With some patience and looking on CL and FB Market place, local bike co-op etc on the regular you might be surprised what comes up and if you are willing to do your own work in refurbishing the bike that $200 can stretch pretty far. If you list the size frame you are looking for and your general location in NJ you might even have some members send you listings with suggestions. There is also a Craiglist thread on here that gets updated pretty regularly that might be worth checking out. I am no expert but I think with Bianchi you are paying for the mystique of the name and the fact they did make some very nice frames with good kit back in the day ratchets up the price even for the more entry level stuff. And or course they can boast their share of Tour and Giro winners on their frames.

Lots of great stuff out there from Trek, Nishiki, Univega, Raleigh, Peugeot, Schwinn. Motobecane. Specialized to name a few of the prolific manufacturers and I am sure I missed some. I consider first second and third FIT, a great deal on any bike is worth little as a rider if it don't fit, then I would worry about the condition of the frame and paint and then I would look at the components. Take it slow there are tons of great vintage bikes out there. Good luck.
Old 05-30-19, 07:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Could you simplify this a bit for me?
What don't you understand?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.