Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 06:15 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Does anyone who owns an FX S5 or S6 have a kickstand attached to it? My LBS sold me one (my 6 doesn't arrive until Mid June) but I think I read on the Trek site in the Q&A section for the FX S6 that it does not support a kickstand. Is this true? If so I wonder why my LBS sold it to me.
Don't put a kickstand on it whether it will fit or not.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-27-19, 06:59 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Does anyone who owns an FX S5 or S6 have a kickstand attached to it? My LBS sold me one (my 6 doesn't arrive until Mid June) but I think I read on the Trek site in the Q&A section for the FX S6 that it does not support a kickstand. Is this true? If so I wonder why my LBS sold it to me.
Carbon and kickstands don't tend to play well together.
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 05-27-19, 07:50 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Thanks everyone! I値l contact and cancel the kickstand. Guess I値l either be leaning it against something stable or locking it when I知 parked.
Old 05-28-19, 06:14 AM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Thanks everyone! I値l contact and cancel the kickstand. Guess I値l either be leaning it against something stable or locking it when I知 parked.
Hard no on the kickstand for an FX6. Also be careful leaning it against things since you don稚 want to damage the carbon frame. At home, my FXS6 is held by a front wheel stand.
Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 05-28-19, 07:04 AM
StuBerger

Bikes: Trek FXS5

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ideas on bicycle racks for pickup truck hitch..

I致e been looking at bicycle racks for transporting the FXS5 to other destinations and both been looking at crazy costs new and since I got fenders on her those hold by wheel only are probably out of the question so with the carbon frame and shape of top bar which is the best for getting her here and there?

Last edited by StuBerger; 05-31-19 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 09:16 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
Hard no on the kickstand for an FX6. Also be careful leaning it against things since you don’t want to damage the carbon frame. At home, my FXS6 is held by a front wheel stand.
Thanks - I wasn't sure how fragile/easy to scratch CF frames are. My bike from many years ago was probably steel and cheap and I didn't think about surface damage too much. I do have a Rakk at home so that's how it will be stored - indoors and upright with the wheel held up by the Rakk. And 99% of the time when I'm out and about I'll be on it/riding, so it's just the 1% of the time when I've stopped to pop in for a coffee and pastry that I need to figure out what to do with it. I purchased a folding lock + chain combo from my LBS and don't plan on really letting it out of my sight when I do have to park and lock. I know how fast thieves can be.
Old 05-28-19, 03:04 PM
CarloM

Okay I saw the rear mount kickstand and it was the bulky/clamp one. So I canceled it. I did talk to my LBS about whether cameras were recommended, and being West Los Angeles, he said yes and recommended I look at 360 degree ones. Now on to more research!
Old 05-28-19, 08:42 PM
StuBerger

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Finally can post pics so here痴 my FXS5

Here she is ....

Last edited by StuBerger; 05-31-19 at 02:10 AM.
Likes For StuBerger:
Old 05-29-19, 10:53 AM
Lov2hurdle
Lov2hurdle

Bikes: 2006 trek 7.5

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Pretty girl

I like the readiness of the fenders, hand positions, and in reach gadgets,the colors work
Old 05-29-19, 11:37 AM
StuBerger

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lov2hurdle
I like the readiness of the fenders, hand positions, and in reach gadgets,the colors work
Thanks...
Old 05-29-19, 12:32 PM
StuBerger

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Once out of the store the bikes only worth half!!!

I am shocked to see what a hit your investment takes.. I was possibly thinking I got the wrong style bike and since I paid a good price on my 2019 Trek FXS5 and come to find out with their bike trade in and the bike blue book thing it痴 only worth half. WOW
Old 05-30-19, 09:10 AM
CarloM

I just contacted my LBS to see if maybe I should move down to a S instead of a M for my FX S6 which is still backordered. While messing around I was on Canyon's site and was shocked that my measurements (5'7", 29" inseam) measured me out to XS. They said "I'd normally be a small but with the shorter inseam they'd recommend XS" on their perfect fit finder.

Now I know different manufacturers have different sizing so I went to Trek's site. My height falls on the low end of M but my inseam falls squarely in the S range. The "minimum recommended" inseam on the M is 30.3". However the "maximum recommended" height for a small is 5' 5.7".

So according to Trek's site I'm 1.3" too tall for a S and 1.3" to short of an inseam for a M. Canyon seemed to recommend going with the smaller size of their bike due to the inseam length. I wonder if Trek bikes would be the same?

I've asked my LBS's advice and also to see if they have a S I can test ride. If they do it will be of a lower Trek model because they only had a couple of carbon fiber models and they were all M and L.

For those who fall between sizes, did you go smaller or larger?
Old 05-30-19, 10:39 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I'm a believer in not violating the stand-over measurement. We can always plan to not "bottom out" on the top tube, but you never know what situation may arise. You can always lengthen the stem if you feel too cramped in terms of reach. On the other hand, note that your inseam and actual stand-over clearance are two different things. You can measure your stand-over clearance yourself, and then decide if the medium frame is still too large.

https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/spew_bike_fit
Old 05-30-19, 11:08 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
So this arrived today and followed me home - first pic is at the shop, second is home and accessorized

Likes For Aahzz:
Old 05-30-19, 02:05 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm a believer in not violating the stand-over measurement. We can always plan to not "bottom out" on the top tube, but you never know what situation may arise. You can always lengthen the stem if you feel too cramped in terms of reach. On the other hand, note that your inseam and actual stand-over clearance are two different things. You can measure your stand-over clearance yourself, and then decide if the medium frame is still too large.

https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/spew_bike_fit
Thanks! I went to another LBS (same chain; different location) which had a S and M. Mentioned my question to the expert, and he sized both and had me ride around and observed my pedaling pattern. His recommendation was to stay with the M. While riding both, I did feel that the M felt a little bit more comfortable in both upright and down positions. When I got back home I saw my original LBS manager had responded to my inquiry saying that the seat adjustment is always easier than the reach adjustment and that he'd recommend staying with M. So given 2 different people recommending M, and now a test ride between S and M, looks like I'll be staying with that size!
Old 05-30-19, 02:25 PM
hokiefyd 

Thanks! I went to another LBS (same chain; different location) which had a S and M. Mentioned my question to the expert, and he sized both and had me ride around and observed my pedaling pattern. His recommendation was to stay with the M. While riding both, I did feel that the M felt a little bit more comfortable in both upright and down positions. When I got back home I saw my original LBS manager had responded to my inquiry saying that the seat adjustment is always easier than the reach adjustment and that he'd recommend staying with M. So given 2 different people recommending M, and now a test ride between S and M, looks like I'll be staying with that size!
If you can stand over the medium frame with feet flat on the floor, then that sounds like the right size for you.
Old 05-30-19, 02:37 PM
CarloM

I believe I could (I'm trying to think if I had it at a slight angle or not). According to the website the standover for a M is 29.25" which is almost exactly what my inseam is...so maybe I did have it ever-so-slightly angled to a side. Oh wait, I forgot to add on the height of my shoes, which add another 0.5 - 0.75" so yes, I could stand over it...but if I was barefoot it might graze some sensitive areas...
Old 05-30-19, 02:51 PM
hokiefyd 

I believe I could (I'm trying to think if I had it at a slight angle or not). According to the website the standover for a M is 29.25" which is almost exactly what my inseam is...so maybe I did have it ever-so-slightly angled to a side. Oh wait, I forgot to add on the height of my shoes, which add another 0.5 - 0.75" so yes, I could stand over it...but if I was barefoot it might graze some sensitive areas...
Your actual stand-over clearance is going to be a little more than your inseam anyway, so you probably have a legit 30-31" stand-over...plus shoes like you mentioned. Cool beans!
Old 05-31-19, 02:12 AM
StuBerger

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
So this arrived today and followed me home - first pic is at the shop, second is home and accessorized

What brand top bar bag is that?
Old 05-31-19, 07:37 AM
Aahzz

Originally Posted by StuBerger
What brand top bar bag is that?
Got it from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really like it. Robust, would hold a larger phone, stable. Only weird thing was it came with rather long velcro straps, so I trimmed them after I put it on.
Old 05-31-19, 10:24 AM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Got it from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really like it. Robust, would hold a larger phone, stable. Only weird thing was it came with rather long velcro straps, so I trimmed them after I put it on.
I saw this on Amazon but I'm glad I didn't purchase it, looks way to big for my liking. Great looking bike though, I love the red!
Likes For fat2fit:
Old 05-31-19, 01:59 PM
Aahzz

Originally Posted by fat2fit
I saw this on Amazon but I'm glad I didn't purchase it, looks way to big for my liking. Great looking bike though, I love the red!
The bag is a bit larger than my old one, but I like it It would hold upto an iPhone 8 Plus, so it fits my X just fine, and better than the smaller, cramped bag I was using before. Thanks for the comments on the bike, I also think it looks great.
Likes For Aahzz:
Old 06-02-19, 12:54 PM
CarloM

While waiting for my FXS6 (I can't believe it's still about 2 weeks away) I'm really catching up on all the best practices about maintaining bikes! Thirty years ago I left my Schwinn beater in my parents' shed and didn't think twice about it. Ah the ignorance (and inexpensiveness!) of youth.

I've watched videos of keeping your bike clean by washing it regularly, taking it apart and degreasing/cleaning the chain and cassette, etc. Seems I'll be spending several hundred dollars more on a stand and cleaning/maintenance tools.

One piece of good news is that I chatted with Trek CS on their site, and they mentioned the FXS6 uses the new(ish) Shimano 105 R7000 groupset. I had read that last year Shimano had updated the venerable and respected 105 R5800 with the R7000 which had a lot of "trickle down tech" from the Ultegra and Dura-Ace lines while also being lighter. I figured Trek being a large shop, might have a lot of 5800s lying around and would put that on the 6, but apparently according to the CSR chat, it will come with the R7000. Very cool.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 06-02-19, 06:33 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Regarding the Ergon GP5 bar ends, when your hands are place in the top position are you leaning more forward or sitting more upright?
Old 06-02-19, 07:09 PM
here hold my ha

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
The bag is a bit larger than my old one, but I like it It would hold upto an iPhone 8 Plus, so it fits my X just fine, and better than the smaller, cramped bag I was using before. Thanks for the comments on the bike, I also think it looks great.
I bought an FX 2 last week and just added a bag, smaller than yours. I must ride knock-kneed, because I bang into that thing with every stroke. I'd probably knock myself off if I had your bag! Love the color of your bike! Mine is just basic black.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.