Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Micro-Indexed Left Shifter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 01:25 PM
Payton1221

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

How many mountain bikes are sold today with the ability to trim their front derailleur? In light of that, are there any truly micro-index shifters available where you can dial in enough movement to shift from one ring to the other and then dial up/back as needed to keep it from rubbing? I sort of saw a prototype at Walmart when one of their display models was incorrectly installed with the right 8-speed shifter mounted to adjust the chainrings
Old 07-31-19, 02:19 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...imanothumbies/
Likes For Elvo:
Old 08-01-19, 08:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Payton1221
How many mountain bikes are sold today with the ability to trim their front derailleur?
since the trend is for bike shop level MTBs to be 1x, I would say the % with a front derailleur to even trim is quite small. Its mostly a moot issue right now. But there are still some with 2x and 3x, so FDs obviously exist.

Originally Posted by Payton1221
In light of that, are there any truly micro-index shifters available where you can dial in enough movement to shift from one ring to the other and then dial up/back as needed to keep it from rubbing? I sort of saw a prototype at Walmart when one of their display models was incorrectly installed with the right 8-speed shifter mounted to adjust the chainrings
My old MTB that was 3x9 could trim up front. There was a dead shift, effectively as that trimmed the FD depending on where the chain was on the cassette. That was with lowly Alivio shifters even.
The only micro indexing shifters for MTB would not be indexing at all. They would be friction like what was already linked.
Old 08-03-19, 07:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
SRAM grip shifters have about a dozen clicks on the left.
Old 08-05-19, 11:13 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Thumbshifters have front trim; Suntour types have a front microratchet. I believe Sunrace and Microshift make modern ones.

They don't come on many new bikes, and are difficult to mate with hydraulic brake levers in my experience, but I haven't tried the new Magura levers

But then, how many mountain bikes these days have a front derailleur?
Old 08-06-19, 03:33 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
SRAM grip shifters have about a dozen clicks on the left.
They used to put the indexing left shifters on and I always swapped for the "friction" type with the dozen or so clicks. Trimming is a breeze with that.
Old 08-06-19, 04:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The SRAM ones I've seen with three clicks were from their early heyday in the late 1990's. The more recent I've handled have about a dozen. I don't know if that's true of all. It sure does make things easier.
Genesis 49:16-17