Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel King slick tires

Old 08-24-19, 09:07 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Gravel King slick tires

I just got some Gravel King slicks in a size 700 x 38 and running them tubeless. I like them better than my last set of tires until I got a slash in the rear tire on pavement. The sealant was having a hard time with slash as I tried to get back home. Today bombing down gravel hills all I could think about was the possibility of getting another slash at speed. Anybody else have issues with these tires or was this just a fluke thing? Any other good slick tire recommendations around the 38?
Old 08-25-19, 06:02 AM
MPE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have been riding the same tires tubeless for a couple of years with no issues. I ride gravel and city pavement. Two weeks ago, I picked up a piece of glass and got a slice. Orange Seal Endurance (fresh), would not Seal it. Watched the sealant bubble out even after spinning it and putting the slice at the bottom. I put the bike away (slice on the bottom) and did not have time to work on it. 3 days later I put some more air in and it held. I have done 3 rides since! Back to your original question, mine have held up well except for that slice and pinch flat when I was running tubes. I like my Gravel Kings. By the way, I run a slick in the back and a GK SK up front.

Take care,
Mike

<><
Old 08-25-19, 11:02 AM
Duende108

Bikes: Mosaic GT-1, Waterford SR-33, Ciocc San Cristobal

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdilf
I just got some Gravel King slicks in a size 700 x 38 and running them tubeless. I like them better than my last set of tires until I got a slash in the rear tire on pavement. The sealant was having a hard time with slash as I tried to get back home. Today bombing down gravel hills all I could think about was the possibility of getting another slash at speed. Anybody else have issues with these tires or was this just a fluke thing? Any other good slick tire recommendations around the 38?
I got a slash in my Bon Jon slicks... similar situation. In NoCal with all the rocky hills and climbs, slicks just ended up not working out for me. Went back to knobbies. Keeping the slicks for roads.

I know lots lots of folks are making do with them. But it’s really dependent on the terrain where you live.
Old 08-25-19, 11:02 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I’ve been using a pair of Specialized Sawtooth’s with great results. Yesterday in fact, I was riding and noticed 4 goat heads sticking in the middle of the “tread” but when I pulled them out, I didn’t hear any hissing or sealant spraying anywhere.
Il running mine in size 42. Love them.
Old 08-25-19, 02:19 PM
DoJoMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I’ve been running Gravel King 700x38 slicks all year for my mixed surface rides (I use Gravel King SK 38 for full gravel). The only issue I had was when I picked up a roofing nail. I couldn’t get it plugged out on the road (bad plug tool). I’ve since plugged it and all is well.

great tires. Smooth and fast.
Likes For DoJoMN:
Old 08-25-19, 08:00 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
I'm running Gravel King slicks on my all roadish SOMA stanyan , according to SOMA they should not really fit but they fit fine ... Very supple tires especially at the price point . I can't see spending more for Compass / Herese Heine specials especially since they are rebranded Panaracers ...

Old 08-25-19, 08:10 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Another person running gk slicks without an issue. Got one cut that didnt seal due to low sealant but once topped off and sat overnight it sealed right up and has kept on chugging along without another issue. Also running compass switchback hill slicks which are similar construction tubeless and they havent gotten a slice yet
Likes For redlude97:
Old 08-26-19, 11:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I've used both 28s and 32s with tubes. Seems to be a very durable tire.
Old 08-26-19, 02:36 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've had issues, to put a tally on the other end of the spectrum. I had set them up tubeless and experienced the same thing as the OP. I tried to plug it myself but the plug just didn't work.

Ended up switching to the puncture resistant version non-tubeless, and got a glass puncture in my first week having those.

If Conti made the 4-seasons in sizes bigger than 32mm, I'd have probably switched to those, but given that the GK slicks seem to be one of the more durable wide slick tires out there, I think we just have to roll with the punches and take the best of the available options.
Old 08-26-19, 08:14 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
I'm running Gravel King slicks on my all roadish SOMA stanyan , according to SOMA they should not really fit but they fit fine ... Very supple tires especially at the price point . I can't see spending more for Compass / Herese Heine specials especially since they are rebranded Panaracers ...
Compass are not “rebranded” Panaracers. Panaracer does not sell an equivalent tires under their own brand.
Old 08-26-19, 08:43 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Compass are not “rebranded” Panaracers. Panaracer does not sell an equivalent tires under their own brand.
Do you know who makes those Compass tires ? Panaracer as they also do the Gran Bois ...
Old 08-26-19, 09:05 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Do you know who makes those Compass tires ? Panaracer as they also do the Gran Bois ...
The point is that they're not a rebrand of an existing Panaracer-brand tire. Saying they're "rebranded Panaracers" doesn't say much in terms of whether or not other Panaracer-made tires make them worthwhile. The design particulars are what matters.

Like, Paselas and T-Servs are both Panaracer tires that look almost identical because they're vulcanized in the same mold, but they're very different in how they perform on the road.

Last edited by HTupolev; 08-26-19 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 09:12 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
To be fair, no one makes Compass tires anymore. That brand is defunct.
Rebranded to Rene Herse if I am not mistaken ..
Old 08-27-19, 04:18 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
If you guys are looking to blame any rebranded Gravel King tire, Volummy by Sim Works are rebranded Gravel Kings. But they sure are beautiful.
Old 08-27-19, 04:56 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Yes, this is news to nobody. But that us not what “rebranded” means.

“Rebranded” implies that there is an equivalent tire also sold under the Panaracer brand. There isn’t.

Jan did not simply look at some tires Panaracer was making and slap his brand on them. He specified the design.

If you simply mean that the tires are manufactured by Panaracer... so what? It means nothing in terms of their relative value to a different tire design sold by Panaracer.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-27-19 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 05:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Rebranded

Rebranded to Rene Herse if I am not mistaken ..
Rebranded.....

Old 08-27-19, 07:03 AM
SamSpade1941 

Rebranded.....

I have a really good idea, he paid a tire manufacture to make him a tire & apply his brand to it, and then later he rebranded the same tire to capitalize on the Rene Herse mystique. Incidentally, Panaracer also make comparable tires for SOMA and themselves. If you looks at the specs of those tires they are all more alike than they are disparate .

Jan Heine is a great self promoter for certain, but he doesn't design or make anything himself. You or anyone here can literally do exactly what he did assuming you have the capital to back up the order you want to place with panaracer or any of the other larger manufactures.
Old 08-27-19, 07:11 AM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by Hmmm
If you guys are looking to blame any rebranded Gravel King tire, Volummy by Sim Works are rebranded Gravel Kings. But they sure are beautiful.
There's nothing wrong with that, but as you accurately pointed out they did not make or design the tire. They said hey please make us a large quantity of those and stamp our name on them. Self promotion is awesome stuff and branding is a powerful placebo for the consumer.
Old 08-27-19, 08:37 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

There's nothing wrong with that, but as you accurately pointed out they did not make or design the tire. They said hey please make us a large quantity of those and stamp our name on them. Self promotion is awesome stuff and branding is a powerful placebo for the consumer.
If those tires really are GKs with a different brand on them, than THAT is a case of rebranding.

This is NOT what Conpass or RH tires are.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-27-19, 11:15 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Anyway, back on track. Seems like slashes are not too common for the GK slicks.
Has anyone found another good slick around the 38C range?
Old 08-27-19, 02:01 PM
redlude97

If those tires really are GKs with a different brand on them, than THAT is a case of rebranding.

This is NOT what Conpass or RH tires are.
Yea this is like calling many brands of bikes rebadged Giants because they are the largest manufacturer in the world. Also no one calls clement/donnelly's rebadged tufos. For those that have actually held both a RH and panaracer GK in their hands you'd instantly tell the difference in the casing especially if you're holding an extra-light
Old 08-27-19, 02:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I would suggest the Barlow Pass (they are indescribably smooth), but if you want to go tubeless, I hear they can be hit-or-miss in terms of the hassle factor. I run tubes and have never flatted my Barlow Pass tires, but YMMV. Contrary to the alternative reality being presented here, they are NOT re-branded Gravel Kings.
Old 08-27-19, 02:39 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
GKs are fairly durable for a tire that's as supple as they are. If you want to minimize cuts, you can go with something much beefier, but it will be harsher and slower as well. A few of my friends ride Marathons on their gravel bikes, they're near-invincible but roll very poorly on the road...

I wouldn't make a decision based on a single cut. Pretty much any decent-performing tire is going to be prone to the occasional incident. Carry a spare tube and make sure you've got a dollar bill on hand to use as a boot if needed.
Old 08-27-19, 02:48 PM
redlude97

I personally get enough cuts and punctures on my GK and RH slicks with mixed on/offroad use that I wouldn't run them with tubes. I rely on the sealant as a backup and understand that I'm trading some puncture protection for the suppleness
Old 08-28-19, 04:04 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Just judging by weight, the GK-SK sounds a a lot beefier than the slick. They seem to be fairly slow though (at least in the large sizes).

If you want something big and beefy - Schwalbe makes a lot of slick touring tires - from light weight to extra thick puncture protection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.