Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Observations on Weight Loss

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Observations on Weight Loss

Old 08-28-19, 12:19 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Feel free, I'm pretty sure mine are better.

The tip-off your health is bad is how obsessive you are about telling people how bad theirs is. Your posting history likewise indicates that, but I'll leave that to other people to find.
I am not, nor have I been over weight, nor under weight.

I intermittent fast because It's how we are created. The reason for doing 72 hour fast is because that is what resets the immune/digestive system. fasting also develops self control.

fasting can be used to lose massive amounts of weight and excessive skin from weight loss also. no need for surgery. Dry fasting (something I have not done) saved a diabetics leg/foot.

So why am I so vocal about peoples eating habits.... Mandated insurance policies and the increase of premium rates by the forced insurance of unhealthy people that eat like hogs.

The day you want my voice to go away , will be the day you quit dipping into my savings account.
Old 08-28-19, 12:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I am not, nor have I been over weight, nor under weight.

I intermittent fast because It's how we are created. The reason for doing 72 hour fast is because that is what resets the immune/digestive system. fasting also develops self control.

fasting can be used to lose massive amounts of weight and excessive skin from weight loss also. no need for surgery. Dry fasting (something I have not done) saved a diabetics leg/foot.

So why am I so vocal about peoples eating habits.... Mandated insurance policies and the increase of premium rates by the forced insurance of unhealthy people that eat like hogs.

The day you want my voice to go away , will be the day you quit dipping into my savings account.

Well, I'm not the guy who claimed to be debilitated by a commonly known disease that I didn't know how to spell. There are other symptoms of health problems besides weight.

I'm sorry that things are going so poorly for you that you felt a need to start this nonsense up again. Feel better, but I'm out.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-28-19, 12:33 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
stephen colbert is brilliant, but his greatest achievement is the term truthiness: "the quality of seeming or being felt to be true, even if not necessarily true." when it comes to this diet/nutrition stuff there is so much of that.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-28-19, 12:42 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by metieval
i am not, nor have i been over weight, nor under weight.

I intermittent fast because it's how we are created. The reason for doing 72 hour fast is because that is what resets the immune/digestive system. Fasting also develops self control.

Fasting can be used to lose massive amounts of weight and excessive skin from weight loss also. No need for surgery. Dry fasting (something i have not done) saved a diabetics leg/foot.

So why am i so vocal about peoples eating habits.... Mandated insurance policies and the increase of premium rates by the forced insurance of unhealthy people that eat like hogs.

lol!
Old 08-28-19, 01:00 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Organic food also uses pesticides, they just have to be certain ones (and that choice isn't made based on toxicity). There's also not much evidence that eating organic produces any significant health benefits.
I don't think "animals pumped with antibiotics and growth hormones" are good for me, but I've yet to see any compelling evidence that this negatively impacts a person's health (fwiw using growth hormones isn't legal in my country).

Given that there is no clear definition of "processed" I'm not sure we can say that. Also, many berries (and many other plants and animals) are highly toxic, yet would be considered non-processed if I picked them right off the bush. IMO, this is too general a statement to make.

There's no evidence of GMO foods being worse for you than non-GMO foods. Also, saying *any* artificial ingredients are bad is again too general of a statement to make IMO.

I suppose this is true, otherwise the given level of consumption wouldn't be considered "excess".
I'm not sure this is true at all.
Weight bearing exercise, and in particular strength training, is an important component of overall health. I agree.

This is true. But the dosage makes the poison.
Nicotine is what keeps you addicted, it's not generally what kills you (although I'm sure it is "bad" for you).
The dosage makes the poison. I'm not aware of any evidence that says moderate amounts are bad.

Again, the dosage makes the poison. The problem isn't sugar (which is just glucose and fructose, both of which are exactly the same as the glucose and fructose that exists in healthy natural "unprocessed" foods). It's that people eat too much of it.

Common sense may not be as common as it seems. Don't just fall for buzzwords and whatever the latest hype is.
The medical industry and medical research are so corrupted by corporations like monsanto you'd be a fool to believe ANY research findings from mainstream "medical" and "scientific" sources. All mainstream doctors have sold out to the pharmaceutical companies. All of them. And this has been true for at least two decades, probably longer.

As far as cycling, no, cycling alone is not sufficient and is probably not even necessary to be in the best of health. Again, weight bearing exercise is far more important.

Riding a bike is more beneficial for health than driving, but walking is actually a better form of exercise than bicycling. Basically, cycling is better than doing nothing at all, but inferior to walking and weight training. And running on concrete is very bad for your joints.
Likes For radroad:
Old 08-28-19, 01:01 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
lol!
This is a dumb response. Some people do actually maintain a normal healthy weight throughout their adult lives.
Likes For radroad:
Old 08-28-19, 01:12 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by radroad
The medical industry and medical research are so corrupted by corporations like monsanto you'd be a fool to believe ANY research findings from mainstream "medical" and "scientific" sources. All mainstream doctors have sold out to the pharmaceutical companies. All of them. And this has been true for at least two decades, probably longer.
Nope, this is the type of dangerous thinking that allows the anti-vaxxer stuff to maintain hold. There's a lot of unbiased public health research happening, so I won't stand by and allow people to besmirch good research done by some folks I know and respect.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-28-19, 01:17 PM
OBoile

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

As far as cycling, no, cycling alone is not sufficient and is probably not even necessary to be in the best of health. Again, weight bearing exercise is far more important.

Riding a bike is more beneficial for health than driving, but walking is actually a better form of exercise than bicycling. Basically, cycling is better than doing nothing at all, but inferior to walking and weight training. And running on concrete is very bad for your joints.
I'm guessing you didn't read my post very carefully... and no, cycling likely isn't inferior to walking. As with many things, intensity matters.

Last edited by OBoile; 08-28-19 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 01:18 PM
OBoile

This is a dumb response. Some people do actually maintain a normal healthy weight throughout their adult lives.
Some even manage to do it without having to "reset" their immune system. Crazy, isn't it!?!?!
Likes For OBoile:
Old 08-28-19, 01:24 PM
Metieval

and no, cycling likely isn't inferior to walking. As with many things, intensity matters.
apparently "walking intensely" is beyond comprehension here.
Old 08-28-19, 01:26 PM
Metieval

Some even manage to do it without having to "reset" their immune system. Crazy, isn't it!?!?!
again comprehension..... resetting the immune system isn't where the weight loss comes from.

just to point out the obvious here.
You ridicule fasting, yet you have ZERO understanding of it. Which explains the ridicule.
Old 08-28-19, 01:29 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Nope, this is the type of dangerous thinking that allows the anti-vaxxer stuff to maintain hold. There's a lot of unbiased public health research happening, so I won't stand by and allow people to besmirch good research done by some folks I know and respect.
***Brown shirt alert!!! ***
Old 08-28-19, 01:33 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeKahno
Unconvinced? Ok. I'm under no obligation to convince or persuade you.

Disingenuous? Can you cite a single reputable study as evidence that anything Dr. Fung said is false or misleading? Or is it just that the data he presents conflicts with your personal bias?
He erects strawman arguments attributing them to "everyone".

His argument, and the only study he shows that isn't a straw man, is that of the Big Loser contestants.

Eating less is bad but eating nothing is better. That's his argument. He provides one study about fasting for 4 days showing no ill effects. He then suggests you can fast for 12 hours, 12 days, or even 382 days and provides no evidence whatsoever on the effects of fasting that long.

He ends his talk with woo. We should fast because Jesus thought it was good.

There's more but I'm on my phone and typing is a pain. That 36 minute video was crap.
Likes For guachi:
Old 08-28-19, 01:36 PM
OBoile

again comprehension..... resetting the immune system isn't where the weight loss comes from.

just to point out the obvious here.
You ridicule fasting, yet you have ZERO understanding of it. Which explains the ridicule.
Wrong. I ridicule you, because you say ridiculous things that are based on pseudo science.

Oh, and for the record, I wasn't implying that "resetting" the immune system leads to weight loss. I was ridiculing the fact that:
1. You think it's somehow possible, or desirable to reset someones immune system
2. You think that starving yourself is how this gets done

Last edited by OBoile; 08-28-19 at 01:43 PM.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 08-28-19, 01:37 PM
hubcyclist

***Brown shirt alert!!! ***
seriously, you're resorting to calling someone a Nazi as a first response to me?

I have about 8 years of advanced public health research education and a career in health, what the heck is your resume to demonstrate any ability to critically analyze scientific material? you don't have to answer because you're going on my ignore list
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-28-19, 01:38 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by guachi
He erects strawman arguments attributing them to "everyone".

His argument, and the only study he shows that isn't a straw man, is that of the Big Loser contestants.

Eating less is bad but eating nothing is better. That's his argument. He provides one study about fasting for 4 days showing no ill effects. He then suggests you can fast for 12 hours, 12 days, or even 382 days and provides no evidence whatsoever on the effects of fasting that long.

He ends his talk with woo. We should fast because Jesus thought it was good.

There's more but I'm on my phone and typing is a pain. That 36 minute video was crap.
Frankly I'm amazed you were willing to sit through more than a minute or two. I wasn't willing to watch long enough to even find out what his "secret magical" diet strategy was.
Old 08-28-19, 01:42 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
The notion that we were built to intermittent fast is based on a couple of faulty logic arguments.

1. Some notion of a predetermined way we "should" be. Some religious people think we were created to be a certain fixed way but that is a faith based idea and not science based. Pretty well no one does anything the way we used to if you go back far enough.

2. But that's the way the cave men were. Well, they may have just been surviving from meal to meal and not as healthy as they could have been. High mortality and low life expectancy seems to back this up. With the evolution of agriculture and predictable regular availability of food, survival and health rates seem to have risen.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-28-19, 01:45 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
seriously, you're resorting to calling someone a Nazi as a first response to me?

I have about 8 years of advanced public health research education and a career in health, what the heck is your resume to demonstrate any ability to critically analyze scientific material? you don't have to answer because you're going on my ignore list
I didn't call you a Nazi. I called your response a brown shirt response. Defend the propaganda!
Old 08-28-19, 01:48 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
A good post on Calories In/Calories Out that sums up what I believe:
https://www.precisionnutrition.com/c...n-calories-out

I saw this a few days ago on Facebook and thought of this thread right away.
Good post. More useful than 36 minutes of Dr. Fung.
Likes For guachi:
Old 08-28-19, 01:50 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
2. But that's the way the cave men were. Well, they may have just been surviving from meal to meal and not as healthy as they could have been. High mortality and low life expectancy seems to back this up. With the evolution of agriculture and predictable regular availability of food, survival and health rates seem to have risen.
apparently you don't know history, some of them cavemen lived multiple centuries
Old 08-28-19, 01:59 PM
OBoile

I didn't call you a Nazi. I called your response a brown shirt response. Defend the propaganda!
Actually, he's defending science.
Old 08-28-19, 02:00 PM
OBoile

apparently you don't know history, some of them cavemen lived multiple centuries
Do you really expect people to take you seriously when you say things like this?
Likes For OBoile:
Old 08-28-19, 02:00 PM
Metieval

Actually, he's defending science.
bought and paid for science
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-28-19, 02:01 PM
Metieval

Do you really expect people to take you seriously when you say things like this?
you wouldn't anyways, even if I fell in line.
Old 08-28-19, 02:02 PM
OBoile

bought and paid for science
When your argument boils down to "it's all a giant conspiracy" you probably need to reevaluate your position. His post states he literally knows people doing unbiased research in the field. Are you calling him a liar?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.