Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-31-19, 05:08 PM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I was riding today and I saw a guy with drops attached to his mountain bike straight bars.
Now I find myself in the hoods and the top of the bars most of the time. If I bought my bike with straight bars it would not look as "racy". So my question is, "Are drop bars an illusion?" for most of us riders who want to fit in?
Likes For DynoD500_SR20-d:
Old 08-31-19, 05:17 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
A few years ago I would have said drop bars were a waste for me, as I came out of the mtb era and mostly rode converted flat bar bikes with bar ends.
In the last few years I have increased my ride distances quite a bit 200K + and needed alternative hand positions. I use aeros and drops but would only spend a short time in each, mainly for numbness relief and mostly rode the hoods.
Then I lost some more belly fat and began spending more time in the drops. Now I ride there most of the time comfortably so for me the drops are a good and well used option. Five years ago I would have said not. A big difference was losing the belly so I could pedal and breath easier.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-31-19, 05:21 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Most people, IME, don't have their cockpit setup well enough to use the drops given their back flexibility. Hence why most people with drop handlebars stick to the hoods/tops.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 08-31-19, 05:24 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
I love my drops, I'm probably in them 95% of the time, no kidding. I'll use the tops if it's a longer climb or a really long ride to move around the cockpit a bit. Same with the hoods, not on them much.

Which reminds me I need to buy some drop attachments for my mtb!
Old 08-31-19, 05:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What people need to understand is that drop bars are not for everybody. There are many people including myself who don't like drop bars and have no desire to use them. Ride whatever feels good and comfortable to you.
Old 08-31-19, 06:02 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Reach and stack really affect this conversation.

Generally drop bars even at 440mm are narrower than flat bars. Narrow also matters for steering and aero.

I would say if you don’t use them much get a higher stack and a shallower drop handlebar. So then you can use both and have plenty of hamd options.

Also, even for the non racer I’d suggest a slightly aero drop bar. The flatter top section of the bar tops is heavenly to me compared to a round bar. Also, that “additional” position just short of the hoods being flat is really nice on an aero bar for comfort. Just buy one without much change in reach.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-31-19, 06:03 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I'm about to get some experience with drop bars and am really looking forward to them. I currently have flat bars on all my MTBs with end bars in the upward positions so I can straighten my back and give my wrists a breather. Something tells me the road bike I'm working on will be like going from a wild mustang to a thoroughbred, or so I'm hoping.
Old 08-31-19, 06:14 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
It's true, I used my drop bars more and more as I lost most of my belly fat. These days I use the drops whenever I'm on the flat or going downhill, on smooth pavement.
Old 08-31-19, 06:30 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
It's true, I used my drop bars more and more as I lost most of my belly fat. These days I use the drops whenever I'm on the flat or going downhill, on smooth pavement.
This...

I use mine a lot. If you don't, there's a reason....most likely your set up is not "set up" for you. Mine was off and it was VERY uncomfortable, some tweaking and it's one of the most comfortable positions I have now besides my aero bars. Most people rotate them too far upward putting the wrist at an awkward angle or use drop that are too "dropped" for them. Try a pair of compact drop bars, that usually works for most people.
Old 08-31-19, 06:31 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
On old bikes, you basically have to brake from the drops unless you have superhuman finger strength, hah
Old 08-31-19, 06:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
I couldn't do any significant distance on flat bars, I need to change my hand position. I use all the choices drops offer. I would be really uncomfortable on descents if I didn't have drops.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-31-19, 07:09 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Descending a steep mountain road on the hoods is foolhardy.

Hard braking on the hoods is risky.

If you never descend a steep and twisting road, and if you never expect to have to brake hard, then you can get away without using the drops.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-31-19, 08:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
As mentioned, I think the drops aren't used as much because bikes arent set up for the majority of riders to comfortably use them.

I have my bikes set up so I can use all parts of the bars, but that means I use shallow drop bars and have them set a bit higher than what looks cool.
Saddle to bar drop still exists, but the stem definitely isn't slammed.
I need to use all parts of the bars for hand and back comfort. Adjusting positions thru rides helps reduce fatigue, even if the change is just for half a mile or so at a time.

My wife doesnt use the drops, but she loves her road bike because her hands hold the hoods more naturally than a flat bar. Our hands fall with palms facing sideways, so holding STIs is naturally more comfortable. Even though the drops arent used, on drop bars there are still multiple hand positions- hoods, ramps, and tops- and that's 3x more than a flat bar.
Old 08-31-19, 09:28 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Mtn bike w/ bars cut down some- hand position outside/outside= 24"

Road bike hand position outside/outside= 17"
Old 09-01-19, 01:22 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
I remember that within the (tiny) road racing community in my home town in 1990s Jordan, drop bars were the minimum "price of admission" for me to be taken seriously as a fellow road cyclist/aspiring racer, and I had to have either a Peugeot or a Raleigh to "fit in." So I just had to buy an entry-level Nottingham-made Raleigh with drop bars. In reality, though, I never found them particularly useful or comfortable. For me, they were more of a nuisance than a feature.

When I got peer-pressured (the "peer" being my MTBing brother-in-law) to get myself onto a road bike 20 years later, I found that I disliked them in 2016 just as much as I disliked them in 1996, but this time around I disliked them even more on account of the new-to-me brifters that I just could never seem to get used to (albeit I rode that 2016 Trek 1.2 only twice in 10 days before I returned it to the dealer and got an FX instead.)

As far as my own riding is concerned, the flat bars on my 7.6FX, with its two-finger brake levers and trigger shifters, are "just good enough." I'm more than happy with the one hand position. Perhaps it comes with aging, or perhaps it's because of hybrids (particularly road-like hybrids/flat-bar road bikes) becoming far more common today than they used to be even a decade ago, but I no longer feel awkward or embarrassed to hang with the more "serious" roadies with my "amateur" FX.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 10-27-19 at 08:07 PM.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 09-01-19, 01:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
After a few decades of strictly riding flat bar, I got myself a drop bar bike last year. Riding the hoods is a better hand position for me than anything I have been able to set up using bar ends, primarily because the wrist angle is better.

I've been getting used to riding in the drops a lot this year, and I do find moving back and forth between what are essentially two back positions actually is helpful for comfort on very long rides. I'm getting into the sensation of standing on the pedals while on the drops because it's actually quite fast and, frankly, at my age, it feels good that I can do it.

But yeah, I still take my FX out for some century plus rides. It's both comfortable and fast, and great for hauling things on.

I don't think drops are for everyone, and I have done what I consider serious riding on flatbars, including 168 miles in one day. I don't think drops are an illusion, but I can't speak for most people. Even if one only rides the hoods, that's still something you can't really do with a flatbar.
Old 09-01-19, 02:18 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
I set up my cockpit to be comfortable in the drops. Hoods and tops are gravy after that.

How you get the drops comfortable could be a combo of many things, but moving toward short & shallow bars is my direction.
Old 09-01-19, 02:27 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
I‘m not a huge fan ofAutumn/spring riding. 90% of my rides are commuting to work. My workplace is east of my home. Means there is a period of constant sun glare straight into my eyes. Then the temperatures tend to be 0-10°C in the morning (full winter gear) and around 20°C in the early evening (stuff all that winter gear into the bag). But i do it nevertheless.
Old 09-01-19, 05:43 AM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
As mentioned, I think the drops aren't used as much because bikes arent set up for the majority of riders to comfortably use them.

I have my bikes set up so I can use all parts of the bars, but that means I use shallow drop bars and have them set a bit higher than what looks cool.
Saddle to bar drop still exists, but the stem definitely isn't slammed.
I need to use all parts of the bars for hand and back comfort. Adjusting positions thru rides helps reduce fatigue, even if the change is just for half a mile or so at a time.

My wife doesnt use the drops, but she loves her road bike because her hands hold the hoods more naturally than a flat bar. Our hands fall with palms facing sideways, so holding STIs is naturally more comfortable. Even though the drops arent used, on drop bars there are still multiple hand positions- hoods, ramps, and tops- and that's 3x more than a flat bar.
Yes. I agree with both perspectives here totally and this is my experiences
Old 09-01-19, 06:23 AM
Gorrister

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
I‘m not a huge fan ofAutumn/spring riding. 90% of my rides are commuting to work. My workplace is east of my home. Means there is a period of constant sun glare straight into my eyes. Then the temperatures tend to be 0-10°C in the morning (full winter gear) and around 20°C in the early evening (stuff all that winter gear into the bag). But i do it nevertheless.
Wrong thread by accident? Lol.

I spend most of my time on the hoods like most people. I get up on the tops when I’m winded. But sometimes man, getting low in those drops is perfecto. The beauty of drop bars, even if you don’t use the drops, is the versatility of hand positions they allow. And yeah, they do look cool! Let’s not pretend that looking cool has NOTHING to do with it 😎
Likes For Gorrister:
Old 09-01-19, 06:32 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoD500_SR20-d
I was riding today and I saw a guy with drops attached to his mountain bike straight bars.
Now I find myself in the hoods and the top of the bars most of the time. If I bought my bike with straight bars it would not look as "racy". So my question is, "Are drop bars an illusion?" for most of us riders who want to fit in?
Most cyclists buy/use certain gear just to fit in?
Pretty pathetic imo but I certainly agree with you.
Check out all the hotshots cruising around at about 14 mph in $300 + clipless setups lol.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 09-01-19 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-01-19, 06:39 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoD500_SR20-d
The way many people have them set up... yes. They may as well be riding a set of bull horns. Some folks I ride with literally never use the drops. Ever.

As others have pointed out many people have them set up too low.
Old 09-01-19, 06:43 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I prefer being in the "drops" descending long steep hills. The tucked positions makes the bike more controlled and I can get more squeeze power on the brakes.
Like others have mentioned drop bars allow for a variety of hand positions ideal for long distance rides. That said I prefer the Ergos of the brake levers and rapid-fire shifters on flat-bars for everyday riding......
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 09-01-19, 08:00 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Curious as I've never had them, what about trekking bars instead of drop bars?
Old 09-01-19, 08:11 AM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I prefer being in the "drops" descending long steep hills. The tucked positions makes the bike more controlled and I can get more squeeze power on the brakes.
Like others have mentioned drop bars allow for a variety of hand positions ideal for long distance rides. That said I prefer the Ergos of the brake levers and rapid-fire shifters on flat-bars for everyday riding......
All this💪

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.