Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else ever get lazy or complacent about the herd?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-08-19, 10:38 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

Jeez, I'm too lazy to swap pedals, or 7 speed wheels, and check. (there's a new bike in the stand). Not kidding here.
I had plans to ride a bike I hadn't ridden in the mo of August, but it's taken me till 12:30 to get emails, daughter, etc. covered and decks cleared. I don't have the will to swap a set of wheels, or even pedals. I've got the bike I rode yesterday, under the eaves, and ready to roll. It's an awesome rider, Anyone wanna do a pedal trade, 4 sets of delta type, for 2 sets of keos (not the easy, hate'm). maybe later. this by comparison seems easy, flat on my back. and thats it, I'm out the door. Weird.
Eric
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 09-08-19, 11:38 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
I have a couple favorites in the basement. One got on the road once this year and the other zero times. And I don’t even have that many bikes. I just can’t find anything wrong with the ones in the garage and they are that much easier, especially for 1-2 hour rides.
Old 09-08-19, 12:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Every day

Then something humiliates me 🚴🏽*♀️.
Old 09-08-19, 12:22 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
I have maybe 5 bikes I have to work on or fix up but I just don't want to. When I got into this hobby I'd jump at every opportunity to rebuild or repack parts. But now I just feel like it's so tedious. I only fix the bikes I know I need to ride to get from point A to point B. On top of that, since the C&V market cooled a lot, I have no motivation to fix something I know will be sitting for sale for weeks or months. My time is just more valuable now.
Old 09-08-19, 12:25 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Too many bikes, not enough time? Yeah. But then I like having bike projects on the back burner.
Old 09-08-19, 01:17 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
My life story. I have enough projects to last me a couple years and some of them have been sitting for 4 years. I've been selling off bikes and digging out projects and parts, time to get some put together and then pick which of those find new homes.
Old 09-08-19, 02:14 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
The good part...

I got my a** out the door, weather was beautiful, and I rode about 25 miles. This bike which was silent and perfect up until today, is now creaking worse than my knees after a day of sking, stutter shifting in the mid range, and my left lever is definitely lower than the right. I've been riding this bike all summer w/o issues. If some of you folks on this forum knew where I lived, I would swear one of you had monkeyed with the bike. Nothing unsafe, just de-tuned, all at once.
Old 09-08-19, 02:22 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
I ride my gravel/mtb's almost every day.

The river bottoms here are a favorite.

Hope they don't put in asphalt MUPs.

We have multiple mtb parks nearby and they are all super fun/challenging.

FWIW My road bikes just sit here.

I should probably sell every last one of them.

They just don't get used.
Old 09-08-19, 02:42 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Once I get a bike completely built I regularly check it for mechanical soundness. Except for my two non-riders (one too small, one a queen), I can snatch up any bike, pump up the tires and go.

Years of performing PMS (Preventive Maintenance System) checks while in the Navy taught me the value of maintaining the bike fleet at 100%.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-08-19, 02:43 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have my favorite bike, and I'm loathe to give it up. I'm on a plan now, where I ride a different bike for a month. But I can never seem to go a full round without going back to that favorite.

Old 09-08-19, 03:42 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
I was just in the basement eyeing at least 5 bikes I’m likely to sell fairly soon. They all fit great and are built exactly as I want them, but they just don’t get ridden.
Old 09-08-19, 03:50 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I'm a newb to being a multiple bike owner, so I'm in the 'infatuation' stage of learning, buying, wrenching, adjusting, etc... I have 5 bikes in the front room (no garage) ready to go. My big problem is having a cohesive, easy way to make sure I have tools, spare, patch kit, etc.. ready for whatever bike I want to take out. I rode my Soma up to the top of Mt. Tam yesterday and realized I forgot my mutli-tool! Got lucky this time.
Old 09-08-19, 03:52 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I was just in the basement eyeing at least 5 bikes I’m likely to sell fairly soon. They all fit great and are built exactly as I want them, but they just don’t get ridden.
^^This^^

After this latest round of kidney stone issues, the fleet will shrink and I will find the time to ride more. Like I told myself I would. Less wrenching, more enjoying life.
Old 09-08-19, 03:56 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
^^This^^

After this latest round of kidney stone issues, the fleet will shrink and I will find the time to ride more. Like I told myself I would. Less wrenching, more enjoying life.
The truth for me is that I don’t ride my C&V bikes much any longer except for the two that have been completely modernized. Hmm.
Old 09-08-19, 04:54 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I keep two bikes in the garage - easy access out the door - lots of lightly-traveled rural roads from the end of the driveway. One bike is a vintage frame with modern components and one is a modern 'adventure' bike. I like both bikes - not perfection, but they work well for various terrain and riding styles - don't really need more. I wax the chains early season and make needed adjustments - after that I don't do much tinkering on them for the remainder of the season.

I recently added a third bike to the garage quiver - vintage touring frame with bar ends and 'skinny' 28's - left it about 40% vintage. It's an interesting change - still need to make some adjustments/changes.

My carbon race bike stays in the basement - just not feelin' the love.

And, I have another vintage touring project bike for the coming winter - fun to tinker for an hour here and an hour there and wind up with something new to try in the spring.

A couple mountain bikes also and that's it - not looking to create a big collection because I agree with the OP that the upkeep is a hassle without much return on investment.
Old 09-08-19, 04:58 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,440 Times in 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I ride my gravel/mtb's almost every day.

The river bottoms here are a favorite.

Hope they don't put in asphalt MUPs.

We have multiple mtb parks nearby and they are all super fun/challenging.

FWIW My road bikes just sit here.

I should probably sell every last one of them.

They just don't get used.
I resemble this remark... but I think I'd make an exception for your McLean. With those 33mm tires I'd be tempted to put on a drive train with lower gears and call it a gravel bike. Something like this:

Brent
Old 09-08-19, 06:07 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
cleaning drivetrains is effort. I ride one bike, it eventually requires a driveline cleaning, hang it up and pull out another that is ready to go.
The que is getting long.
Old 09-08-19, 06:14 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
cleaning drivetrains is effort. I ride one bike, it eventually requires a driveline cleaning, hang it up and pull out another that is ready to go.
The que is getting long.
N plus 1 and you'll never have to clean another drive train . . .
Likes For bikemig:
Old 09-08-19, 06:23 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
When I've had more bikes, I've certainly let things slide a little. It is the nature of it, I suppose. Now that I have set my sights on a core of four steeds, all are runners save for a very recent flat rear tire courtesy of city inanity (in spite of efforts to always be vigilant). There is always only one rain/fender bike, as there, logically to me, should only be one bike to clean (that gets super dirty).
Old 09-08-19, 06:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Me?
Lazy about the herd......
ya gotta be kidding.....
new framesets and incoming parts NEVER have me considering a little swap around.....

And Fall is generally the time to clean up some bikes ridden well in the Summer.
Old 09-08-19, 08:12 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
I got my a** out the door, weather was beautiful, and I rode about 25 miles. This bike which was silent and perfect up until today, is now creaking worse than my knees after a day of sking, stutter shifting in the mid range, and my left lever is definitely lower than the right. I've been riding this bike all summer w/o issues. If some of you folks on this forum knew where I lived, I would swear one of you had monkeyed with the bike. Nothing unsafe, just de-tuned, all at once.
It worked well when I rode it. I put the key back under the mat.

On a more serious note, I'm now keeping a bike in my company car and a bike in my truck, both ready to go.

I also have one stored in Ohio with a friend, so I can head over and ride without worry.
I may also end up storing one in Missouri, which would greatly simplify things.
If those two go out of tune, that's on me.

Still, it means the stored critters suffer.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-08-19 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 08:59 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Yep, Getting out the door to the shop sometimes is harder than going to ride.
Old 09-08-19, 09:35 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Yes, I have cooled off quite a bit...too many bikes and many in waiting, I am beginning to think that I will find another hobby or something to collect.
I started with collecting mechanical cameras and bought a lot of new in the box high-end stuff when everyone was going digital and also have been into watches, fountain pens as well as classic cars...
Bikes have almost run their course with me....but if "Chico" finds me that Colnago or Bottecchia in a 51-53 that does not fit him, I will make some room for a few more.
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 09-09-19 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-08-19, 09:39 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Been there, done that. I got my '64 Legnano out for a club ride today, not having ridden it since Eroica CA last April. As I did a little warm-up spin before taking off, the left brake lever felt lower than the right one. Upon checking, it was also little loose at the clamp. 💡 Now I remember ... during Eroica, the lever loosening up, and struggling to finish with it flopping around. I gave it a quick tighten with a multi tool, and finished the ride. On the way home from Eroica, I acquired another Legnano, just perfect for the $100 clunker challenge, and had a Raleigh Super Course in process, and my Peogeot needed sorting. My favorite ride, the old Legnano, got forgotten about till today. It's at the front of the queue now. I enjoyed today's ride so much, that I don't know how I could have neglected it all these months. Too many bikes? Yeah, I guess. BTW, today I had 3 Strava personal records in the 55 year old Legnano. I love that old bike! Before today's ride, I did remember to swap the dreaded Eroica quill pedals and toe clips for normal SPDs, so I haven't totally lost it.

My Eroica ride from April

Today's Malibu ride. My camera phone lens was fogged up, just like my brain,
Old 09-08-19, 09:46 PM
KerryP

Bikes: '64 Varsity, '69 Varsity, '71 Varsity, '71 Super Sport, '72 Super Sport, PX10 times 4, '72 Paramount, '73 Sports Tourer, '73 Paramount '77 Paramount, two NOS Pros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I've got the problem with my old cars. My wife and I will leave the house saying "We need to take the bla bla bla out". Then we look at what has to be moved in order to get bla bla out. Next think you know we're in her pickup.
Likes For KerryP:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.