Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Learning to do a track stand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-07-19, 09:39 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I'd like to learn to do a track stand. Does anyone have any tips or how to learn or where to start?

Winter will be here soon enough, so I'm thinking I can practice indoors over the winter months so I'll be ready for riding in the summer of 2020.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-19, 03:44 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
A noble undertaking! I find them very useful, both on the road (esp. intersections) and in the woods (esp. when on a new-to-you singletrack).

I've never looked for any you tube, or other help, but I'm sure it's out there. I just kind of blundered my way through learning many years ago. You might want to start before Winter because initially a small hill or grade is helpful. Practice riding as slowly as possible, even momentarily stopping occasionally. Point your bike up the grade and slow down to the point of stopping and holding the bike going uphill with only your pedal pressure. That's the way I got it anyway.

A couple of notes: I learned on a fixed gear bike and it's still way easier for me on a fixie. On a freehub type bike you need to balance braking with your hands with stepping on the pedals. The fixed gear really just requires directional power input with either pedal.

Maybe I was a slow learner, but it took me a while....and it's also a skill I find requires routine polishing
Old 09-08-19, 06:04 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
Keeping the front wheel on a upgrade and rocking the bike to balance. An option is to reach down with one hand and grab the front wheel behind the fork and rock the wheel back and forth to balance.

When you get good at it, go no hands and use your foot on the front wheel to maintain balance.
Old 09-08-19, 05:45 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
The way I learned was at an intersection where two crowned roads met. Approaching as you normally would in the right lane, slow to a stop and cock the front wheel to the left, with the right pedal forward at approximately 3 o'clock and the left pedal back at 9 o'clock. What you'll be doing is just barely pedaling uphill to the left as you let the bike roll slightly back and downhill; up and back, up and back. Best to be on flat pedals without clips when learning. You'll probably fall once or twice. I later amazed folks in Europe trackstanding on a loaded touring bike. Have fun!

That was on a normal derailleur bike. I later tried a fixie and found it much easier with the ability to actually pedal backwards. Fixies weren't locked to every lamppost back in the '70s.

Last edited by thumpism; 09-08-19 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 08:32 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I can track stand my Triumph Triple and it has no reverse gear. But the additional mass helps and I do have to bump it forward sometimes.
Old 09-09-19, 05:03 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
You can do it too. Several years ago I decided that there was no reason that a 60yr old man could not learn to track stand. YouTube videos were not useful. Text advice was not useful. I just had to go try. And, like the OP, winter was on the way.

So I started indoor cycling. I fabricated a small ramp, about 5 deg slope with a smooth leading edge. That provide the "uphill slope" my geared mtn bike needed. As we ride in the right lane here in the USA, and the road crown is to the left, I needed to learn to track stand with the wheel turned to the left. Trouble was I always stopped with my right foot forward. NFG. So I also had to retrain my body to stop with my left foot forward, into that left turned front wheel. Not easy either. I decided I also need a grab point to grab when I started to fall over. I have a good vice in my shop so clamped a 2x4 in that vice and set up right next to that.

I set the bike next to that 2x4 with the front wheel turned about 45 deg to the left against the ramp, left foot forward, pedals level. Then tried to ease forward on the ramp and track stand. Failure. Over and over and over. Failure. But I did not crash out, just grabbed the 2x4, took a breath and started again. Middle ring and mid gear on the back. Over and over and over, day after day after day. Maybe 10 to 15 minutes a day. Not too much. Let the body learn. One I balanced in place for one second. Wow. Later it was 2 seconds. Hey! A few days later it was 5 seconds. Gee. As the winter rolled on and snow came and went I got better and better. 30 seconds one time. Good days and bad days.

By by spring I was pretty good at it, inside and outside. Mtn bike and my other bikes. Now I can pretty much stand anything. I work part time at an LBS and every bike I service is test ridden and I track stand every one. All sorts of bikes. Kinda fun.

In in real life I rarely track stand but learning how has VASTLY improved my slow speed balance which is often helpful. I do enjoy track standing on rail trails - when I get to a cross road and a car has stopped right on the pedestrian cross walk, I roll out and track stand right at the drivers door. Makes them pretty nervous!
Old 09-09-19, 08:31 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Once you stop pick a point on the ground about ten feet in front of you. Focus on that point, stare at it. Once you start moving your head you'll lose your balance.
Likes For Wolfhaven:
Old 09-09-19, 09:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Not a problem on my TerraTrike.
Old 09-09-19, 11:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Uphill first. You don't roll back and you can tap the cranks to play with your balance. Then on flat road, probably rolling super slowly.

What to aspire to: integrate the head but
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-09-19, 03:23 PM
studbike1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my best tip is to get a couple extra bikes to practice on. some bikes are more difficult than others.

inflate your front tire fully. it will reduce the hysteresis of the tire flexing while you saw the handlebars back and forth.

wider bars are generally easier. ditto for strong front brakes.

Last edited by studbike1; 09-09-19 at 03:24 PM. Reason: html tags
Old 09-09-19, 03:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I learned on a road with ruts in it, track standing in the rut. I think it's better if the slope isn't too steep, and it helps if the slope is off to the side as well as front to back.
Old 09-09-19, 04:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I first taught myself on a freewheel bike, turning in to the crown of the road. Then when I got a FG, I couldn't do it for the longest time even though it was supposed to be easier.
Old 09-10-19, 05:50 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
I've been doing it for many years, but the best I can do on a derailleur bike is to hold my spot for maybe a couple seconds at a time - then I end up rolling forward a couple inches and starting over again. Without the occasional movement, I would fall over.

Is it possible to do better than that on a derailleur bike? Or is a fixie required for true trackstanding?
Old 09-10-19, 06:29 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Riding with finesse is more than track stands.
Old 09-10-19, 05:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Is it possible to do better than that on a derailleur bike? Or is a fixie required for true trackstanding?
if there is any opposing slope at all, you should be able to do a track stand just fine on a bike with a freewheel.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-10-19, 05:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've been doing it for many years, but the best I can do on a derailleur bike is to hold my spot for maybe a couple seconds at a time - then I end up rolling forward a couple inches and starting over again. Without the occasional movement, I would fall over.

I guess for a true trackstand, you'd need to do it on a track.

But for a roadie, you can do the functional equivalent by leaning into the crown of the road and letting then letting the bike roll back slightly, then lean into it again. The back and forth gets smaller and smaller until you're basically rocking forward and back. On a FG, you can do this with the pedals, but with a freewheel you can use gravity.
Old 09-10-19, 06:03 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The bike geometry (trail, head tube angel), tire size and pressure have a bit to do with it.
It seems easier for kids. Easier for those that ride rollers a lot.
Old 09-10-19, 06:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Get yourself a fixie. It's very easy to track stand on a fixed gear bike.
Old 09-10-19, 06:53 PM
Doge

Old 09-10-19, 06:59 PM
Doge

Old 09-10-19, 08:45 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Looks like I have some learning to do! Better start without clipless though. And maybe on my other bike. Just in case.
Old 09-11-19, 12:28 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Sure it looks kewl, but you can waste a lot of energy holding a track stand at intersections on a long ride...

But, here ya go:

Last edited by Clipped_in; 09-11-19 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 12:39 PM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
If I had to ride on roads like that I'd give up riding.
Old 09-11-19, 01:07 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by billyymc
If I had to ride on roads like that I'd give up riding.
That is in the middle of a cycling mecca. Agura Hills.

It is the gateway to some beautiful rides.

Search Mike Nosco ride
Old 09-11-19, 04:58 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Looks like I have some learning to do! Better start without clipless though. And maybe on my other bike. Just in case.
I found riding roller a great way to work into it. Have something next to you you can grab, and ride slower and slower, until you stop, hold, as you are about to lose it, spin up again and repeat. Then take what you learned to the road. Of course you can't turn the front wheel on the roller like on the road, but it will help.

It helped more in the days of toe clip and straps because taking your foot out and getting strapped in was a bigger pain. Someplace my brain figured that out, and I just put my foot down.
I used to tract stand all the time on the way to work. Now I don't at all. Maybe because I don't see lights anymore, maybe cleats are so easy. I don't see my son do it as much. Onto something else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.