Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Major help on my road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-24-19, 08:49 PM
thedemoncowboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry, this is odd, but I'm getting frustrated what bike to get or keep.

I bought the Roubaix Expert 2019 (This years model), last week, but now I'm worried it won't be a great bike (from the nay-sayers). So now I'm perplexed if I should get the 2020 Tarmac Disc Di2 (Cheaper, but Tarmac) as its the only color combo I like, or get the 2020 Roubaix Expert? I want to use it for Endurance Racing, Communtting and racing. However, where I live in Montana its a lot of uphill and downhill.

I have the option to pay restocking fee and go for the more expensive Roubaix 2020, or get the cheaper Tarmac Disc Di2 .. I'm new to this bike thing and I want a good bike (and yes, I'm aware all of these bikes are fantastic) but people keep saying my 2019 will be super slow .... So Do I pay the restocking fee, and get the 2020, Disc Comp Di2, or keep my current bike? Any help would be great
Old 09-24-19, 10:08 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by thedemoncowboy
... people keep saying my 2019 will be super slow ....
keep the bike, get new people
Likes For jon c.:
Old 09-24-19, 10:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
The difference between a fast bike and slow bike is seconds over 40k (25mi).
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-24-19, 10:26 PM
thedemoncowboy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon c.
keep the bike, get new people
Thanks you think?
Old 09-24-19, 10:26 PM
thedemoncowboy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I think I understand this? Not sure... Im asking if I should switch to a disc comp di2, or keep my current bike?
Old 09-24-19, 10:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I bought the Roubaix Expert 2019 (This years model), last week, but now I'm worried it won't be a great bike (from the nay-sayers). So now I'm perplexed if I should get the 2020 Tarmac Disc Di2 (Cheaper, but Tarmac) as its the only color combo I like, or get the 2020 Roubaix Expert? I want to use it for Endurance Racing, Communtting and racing. However, where I live in Montana its a lot of uphill and downhill.

I have the option to pay restocking fee and go for the more expensive Roubaix 2020, or get the cheaper Tarmac Disc Di2 .. I'm new to this bike thing and I want a good bike (and yes, I'm aware all of these bikes are fantastic) but people keep saying my 2019 will be super slow .... So Do I pay the restocking fee, and get the 2020, Disc Comp Di2, or keep my current bike? Any help would be great
You are new to riding and bought an almost $6000 bike. It isnt going to hold you back. You are going to hold the bike back due to lack of strength/endurance/experience.

Who specifically are the naysayers you mention?
And why specifically will your bike be 'super slow'?

Would love to hear who and why- its be interesting.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-24-19, 10:36 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Road bikes are not inherently slow or fast as long as they are well built and maintained. Speed is mostly a function of the cyclist — conditioning, positioning, technical skill — and somewhat dependent on local riding conditions. Now how a bike feels is something else altogether, and is a very individual experience. Only you can decide what you like.

Soby all means get the bike you desire and that you can afford. However, sounds like you have a bad case of indecision mixed with a major purchase buyers remorse. Not really a cure for that. Take a deep breath, figure out what you want in your bike — not what anyone says you need — then test ride and test ride some more until you can make a decision you can be happy with.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-19, 10:40 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You are new to riding and bought an almost $6000 bike.
Welcome to the last 20 years.
Old 09-24-19, 10:41 PM
thedemoncowboy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Local guys here, and guys on ******.

I agree with your sentiment as I'm new but I'm willing to do my best to become better.
  • Talked to a "bike dude," he said "That tarmac would smoke your Roubaix."
  • Talked to another "Bike dude," he said "The new Roubaix has much better components."
They said because of the shape of the tubes I would be impeccably slower.... IMPECCABLY SLOWER -_-
Old 09-24-19, 10:42 PM
thedemoncowboy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sapperc
Road bikes are not inherently slow or fast as long as they are well built and maintained. Speed is mostly a function of the cyclist — conditioning, positioning, technical skill — and somewhat dependent on local riding conditions. Now how a bike feels is something else altogether, and is a very individual experience. Only you can decide what you like.

Soby all means get the bike you desire and that you can afford. However, sounds like you have a bad case of indecision mixed with a major purchase buyers remorse. Not really a cure for that. Take a deep breath, figure out what you want in your bike — not what anyone says you need — then test ride and test ride some more until you can make a decision you can be happy with.

Good luck!
I drove the Di2 Comp in person, and I just remember it was stiff and "weird" when I got on the Roubaix Comp, (which is less than what I spent) I felt I had more control over it? So they recommended me just get the comp was 4400 but I decided to jump up into the Expert this year.
Old 09-24-19, 10:46 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts

I agree with your sentiment as I'm new but I'm willing to do my best to become better.

Then start riding and stop shopping for a "better" bike. You cannot buy what you're looking for.
Likes For pickettt:
Old 09-24-19, 10:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I think I understand this? Not sure... Im asking if I should switch to a disc comp di2, or keep my current bike?
Keep the current bike. It's a better one than a lot of people race with. It's not going to slow you down, and people like talking ****.
Old 09-24-19, 11:35 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
They said because of the shape of the tubes I would be impeccably slower.... IMPECCABLY SLOWER -_-
"They" don't seem to know what impeccably means, so why do you trust them to know anything about bikes?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-25-19, 02:47 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts

• Talked to another "Bike dude," he said "The new Roubaix has much better components."
I think what they meant was IMPERCEPTABLY SLOWER.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 09-25-19, 04:17 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I drove the Di2 Comp in person, and I just remember it was stiff and "weird" when I got on the Roubaix Comp, (which is less than what I spent) I felt I had more control over it? So they recommended me just get the comp was 4400 but I decided to jump up into the Expert this year.
If the tarmac felt stiff and weird, it isn't the bike for you. From the sounds of it, you got the bike that is best for you out of the bikes you test rode. Just ride it, that's what will make you faster.
Old 09-25-19, 04:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
With the attitude the OP is displaying, there is not a bike out there that will be up to the task. Scratch that. An E bike might work. He'll still have the same problem, though. The "this bike's not good enough" mantra will always be there.

HTFU.

This thread should be stickied and checked on frequently. There will be some really good deals on gently used bikes as the OP searches for the magic ride.

Last edited by seypat; 09-25-19 at 05:03 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-25-19, 05:31 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

If you’re willing to do your best to become better that means proper training, diet and fitness. It’s not minor differences in your bike.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 09-25-19, 05:42 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

There will always be people who will tell you negative stuff about your bike and there will always be people who say your bike is great. Including people on internet forums. At some point you need to buy something and ride a lot. This will slowly teach you what you like about a bike.
You bought a great bike. There are many many bikes that will work for you. Too many to even list, you can't take everyone's advice it's impossible.
A lot of the advice will be wrong, a lot will be right, a lot will be meaningless for you now. Like the small difference with different tube shapes. It's not important now. If you were coming in second place in races by a few seconds it could be important.

Ride, have fun, learn.

Try to find someone experienced to ride with.
Old 09-25-19, 07:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
"They" don't seem to know what impeccably means, so why do you trust them to know anything about bikes?
Or maybe the OP doesn't know what it means.
Old 09-25-19, 07:55 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Sorry, this is odd, but I'm getting frustrated what bike to get or keep.

Keep bike. Ride more. Enjoy the ride. Too much had wringing over what other people say is counter productive.
Old 09-25-19, 08:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

Impeccably slower? Who speaks like that? Seriously- thats an odd use of the word 'impeccably'.
Got links to the red-dit comments? Im curious as to the context.

You said you are new to cycling, so it should be easy to find new 'bike dudes'. The winner of this past Paris-Roubaix race was on a Roubaix. It was fast enough for someone to win, it will be fast enough for you.
Old 09-25-19, 09:01 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Impeccably slower? Who speaks like that? Seriously- thats an odd use of the word 'impeccably'.
Don't be shy! It's a misuse of that word. Though, it's possible that the poster here is misquoting.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-25-19 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-25-19, 09:08 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
I want to use it for Endurance Racing, Communtting and racing.
If you are more comfortable on the Roubaix than on the Tarmac, you may be significantly faster on the Roubaix in an endurance race.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Riding 25 miles at 18 mph takes 83 minutes or 5000 seconds.

A "faster" bike might save you 10 seconds. Maybe.
Old 09-25-19, 09:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Keep the Roubaix.

You'll be fine.
Old 09-25-19, 09:36 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Why not buy both? That way you can use the Roubaix on slow days and the Tarmac when you need the extra 5 watts.
Likes For Elvo:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.