Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Requesting upclose pictures of the Giant TCR (disk preferred)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 10:23 AM
kevinf1990

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am getting into building a bike from the frame up my self for the first time. I have decided to go with the 2020 Giant TCR advanced pro disk frame. Being that this is the first time I am building a bike, I would like to make sure I know where all the cable exit/entry grommets go. I can see where most of them go because of their shape but some of them I am not sure. Could someone post (pm or email) some pictures of the front derailleur cable exit point, rear derailleur cable exit point, and the rear caliper hose entry and exit point? I would very much appreciate it. I could go to a LBS that carries Giant bikes as a last resort. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-04-19, 11:01 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
I'll do it when I get home after work if no pictures have already been provided.

If you don't mind my questions/comments:
-The Advanced SL frameset is 500$ more expensive than the ''regular'' composite one (Advanced). Getting the high end carbon fibre composite would definitively be worth it at that price IMO.
-Is there any specific reason why you want to build one instead of buying a complete bike? You know it'll cost you over twice the $ for basically the same thing, right?

Please do also post pictures of your build once started! This will be interesting to follow.
Old 10-04-19, 11:14 AM
kevinf1990

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. I guess, I was buying with my heart rather then my brain. I wanted the experience of building a new bike but I know that I will ultimately be spending more money going this route and that's why I went with Advanced Pro then Advanced SL. I also really like the 2020 chameleon color on the Advanced pro .

Also from what I understand, I thought the Advanced SL and Advanced Pro had the same frame with the exception of the integrated seatpost on the SL.

Looking forward to your pictures!

Last edited by kevinf1990; 10-04-19 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 02:44 PM
eduskator

Not at all! Advanced SL frameset = Whole frame & forks made out of Giant's premium (Advanced SL) composite.

The frame & fork in the ''Advanced Pro'' lineup uses Giant's lower-end (Advanced) composite - the same that's used in the ''Advanced'' lineup. The difference between these two is simply better components (such as Advanced SL Stem & Bars).

Here are a few pictures. I hope they'll be useful!

Last edited by eduskator; 10-04-19 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-04-19, 07:45 PM
kevinf1990

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot. Didn't realize you were running Di2. I am planning to go with mechanical shifting. But still not sure yet. Anyways, those pictures are helpful.

Also, it's too bad Giant didn't hide the front brake hose inside the fork. I think it would look a lot better and cleaner.

Last edited by kevinf1990; 10-04-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-04-19, 09:03 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinf1990
Thanks a lot. Didn't realize you were running Di2. I am planning to go with mechanical shifting. But still not sure yet. Anyways, those pictures are helpful.

Also, it's too bad Giant didn't hide the front brake hose inside the fork. I think it would look a lot better and cleaner.
They hide it in the fork on the Defy. TCR is getting due for an update and I am sure they will do it then.
"Eduskator" is correct about the frames.
The SL is a different carbon and lay up plus ISP.
The Advanced frames are the same through the range but the "Pro" has the oversize 1.25" fork steerer.
Old 10-04-19, 11:18 PM
kevinf1990

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry you're right, I was confusing with the advanced. Advance pro has the carbon steerer. Anyways, I think this frame will be good for now.
Old 10-05-19, 08:42 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by kevinf1990

I also agree that they should hide as much cable as possible! It's probably coming soon.

As for the DI2, it is definitively worth it. Carbon Fibre wheels as well. You'll however realise that your custom built will cost you near to twice the price of a complete one (if you put equivalent components).

My next bike will be a custom built as well (well, sort of). I'll buy an Advanced SL frameset, transfer all my current components on it & sell the used Adv. Pro frame.