Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA

Old 10-08-19, 07:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I was there at that time and 10 years earlier. Saw a dog team training with a wheeled sled in the summer.
that's gotta be a blast!
Old 10-08-19, 08:32 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
that's gotta be a blast!
6 or 8 dogs, looked like he was going to lose control any second. And fast!
Old 10-09-19, 11:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

looking at this map I saw there, I'm liking the Pine Barrens Path even more. meaning it should be more interesting than riding the perimeter roads. but I see it goes thru a Quail Management Area & the Quail hunting season in Zones 11–14 are Oct. 19 – Nov. 30

a hunting sign I saw there. is 150 ft really far enough away from a bike path?

summary of hunting season dates

Massachusetts Wildlife Management Zones

wow, that's all mind boggling!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-09-19 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-09-19, 12:51 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I work Sundays so day-glo, I go! only problem was I over dressed & didn't have a hi-viz undershirt. so when I stripped down to my grey Marino Wool base layer all I has showing green/yellow was my helmet, & my long sleeve jersey strapped to my rear rack
Yeah, that's tough then. Maybe at least be aware when the hunting season is and don't go then? AFAIK, there are specific dates for specific animals but with overlap they might have no 'hunting blackout' dates. Or just wear lots of orange, including on your helmet.
Looks like there are a lot of trails to ride. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=41.8...978&z=14&b=mbt

I was going to suggest going elsewhere on the Cape to ride, like https://www.nemba.org/trails/massach...otis-crane-wma, but looks like hunting is permitted there as well! Same goes for West Barnstable Conservation https://www.capecodbikeguide.com/pdf...l-of-Tears.pdf
Old 10-09-19, 01:31 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by autonomy
be aware when the hunting season is and don't go then
state wide one can hunt crow year round with the only exceptions being May & June

found a cpl tips about MTBing w/ hunters

avoid riding during dawn & dusk hours, prime hunting time
wear orange &/or bright colors
make a little noise w/ a bell or your voice
ride where hunting is not allowed
don't wear a white helmet, cuz it could look like the tail of a deer sprinting through the woods
carry a cell phone & make notes of your location via signage on the trail (I guess if you have to call 911 if you're shot?)
check for closures with local land managers. Some trails are closed to bikers at certain times to minimize conflicts with hunters
if you see a deer or a herd, make some noise to let potential hunters know that there’s a human in the area
stay on the trail
ride w a partner
if you do encounter folk out hunting as you ride, always be courteous and friendly. Tell them where you are intending to ride and ask where they’re headed; be prepared to change you plans if you need to.

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-10-19 at 07:05 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-09-19, 02:43 PM
rumrunn6

NH story from November 2017

A mountain biker out for a ride near Elm Brook Park in Hopkinton, NH was shot by a hunter. The shooting occurred about 4:20pm, just before dark. Conservation Officers believe that the 34-year-old shooting suspect “was shooting at a deer and failed to see the victim on her mountain bike in the background.”
Old 10-09-19, 05:09 PM
rumrunn6

Psyched I found my thin orange hoodie!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-10-19 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

Sat 10/19/19

did not wear the hoodie despite a cold start to the day. wore just a bright orange long sleeve base layer & orange work gloves for the hunters. (also had on a yellowish cycling short sleeve under, in case the ling sleeve came off). saw one hunter w/ a dog wearing bells, emerging from the woods. I asked if he positively identified his targets before shooting & he said: “supposed to” or something like that. would have been better if he said “absolutely” but he did not say that

did some exploring trying to spend as much time as possible on the "Pine Barrens Trail". wound up out of the MSSF on the East Side & turned around when I located myself at the lower edge of Gallows Pond.

last time I stayed in the park using the main dirt roads so it was easy to locate myself using the signs, map & compass. But it was fun this time getting lost. But when I want to be sure I wasn’t too far astray I couldn’t easily find an signage that matched up w/ my map(s). Yay for the iphone "Find My Friends" native app. cuz it can also find me!

parked at lot # 4 on Long Pond Rd & walked over to the paved trail to see if I could locate a sign for the Pine Barens, but no luck. So parked at lot#2 & took the dirt road I was familiar with “Three Cornered Pond Rd”. which is how I wound up finishing my ride.

I had grand plans for grand mileage on the single track heading South but apparently wound up staying relatively close to my car despite being out in the woods for a long time

have to debrief w/ my vids & maps but have a cpl pics to share

there's no avoiding some of the soft stuff. sometimes I was able to ride the edge. other times just hiked it up the hill

this was def. a recent fall from the wind storm last week. I was able to sneak thru but the bike wasn't going anywhere

the Pine Barrens Trail is pretty awesome!

so much good riding in the forest!

rear tires felt a little too squishy so took an action pic w/ my full weight. they held up but felt weird on the hard flat stuff. over the rough stuff, I guess they were perfect

hit the gravel powerline rd for some extra fun miles in the bright sun. set my sport cam to "burst" mode. 10 frames per second but I have no exact idea when, after I press the button, it starts/stops. anyway, wound up w/ a bunch of these but I like this one

was fun emerging from the woods at Gallows Pond. would be a pretty swimming hole in the summer

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-21-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 09:16 AM
rumrunn6

red "X" mark spots I located myself on the map while riding
also rode further South from this depicted area on the power line rd
did not note where I turned around tho
glad I didn't try the Pine Barrens Trail from lot#4 due to that double tree fall blocking the trail
got lost in the woods w/o signage while exploring the "Conservation Area" resulting in stopping at Gallows Pond. once I knew where I was it was a simple matter to use my compass to head West & North until I could find named dirt rds that were also on my map so I knew how to get back to my car
w/o cell phone GPS, map & compass, it would be pretty easy to get lost & stay lost for some time! go prepared!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-21-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 09:26 AM
2manybikes

Got lost on the paved roads there once. Very annoying on my road bike with a few hours left on the light battery. Almost hit a coyote. Eventually I found something familiar. And didn't use up too much run time on the light. I always have a back up light system now, wherever I go.
Old 10-21-19, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Got lost on the paved roads there once
oh yeah, those paved roads are quite the maze!
Old 10-21-19, 09:35 AM
2manybikes

oh yeah, those paved roads are quite the maze!
BTW - great photos.

also - It was after dark.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 10-21-19, 12:53 PM
rumrunn6

also - It was after dark.
darkness complicates everything. you reminded me, while riding I was observing pointy objects on the trail, mostly wooden, as-in fallen branches with smaller branches pointing upward. or tree roots or stalks broken at the ground level, slightly worn but maybe not. some appearing sharper than others. it occurred to me, I might tear a tire, beyond repair with typical tire booting products, that I carry. resulting in a desperate walk of shame, in the middle of the woods, possibly at dusk, or worse, darkness. I was not carrying a light (note to self: carry a light, even when I have no intention of being out after dark)
Old 10-21-19, 05:29 PM
2manybikes

darkness complicates everything. you reminded me, while riding I was observing pointy objects on the trail, mostly wooden, as-in fallen branches with smaller branches pointing upward. or tree roots or stalks broken at the ground level, slightly worn but maybe not. some appearing sharper than others. it occurred to me, I might tear a tire, beyond repair with typical tire booting products, that I carry. resulting in a desperate walk of shame, in the middle of the woods, possibly at dusk, or worse, darkness. I was not carrying a light (note to self: carry a light, even when I have no intention of being out after dark)
Yes bring a light. These days I do road rides starting near Providence to or near the CC Canal and up near M. Standish, Plymouth etc.. I don't go far away without two separate headlights and taillights on a long ride. If near home Just the backup light, I leave it in the bag all the time. Only time I used the backup lights was about 15-20f degrees. Cold shortened the backup light time too, but I was close enough to home. I also carry a small light that I can hold in my mouth to fix a flat in the dark. It works great.

When going to new places, I sometimes stop and turn around to see what an intersection would look like going home in the dark.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 10-21-19, 08:27 PM
rumrunn6

lots of twists & turns & intersections & obstacles

music CREDIT: Calima by Armik

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-08-19 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-09-19, 08:01 PM
rumrunn6

the cold threatened but the high 30s wasn't as bad as the hype. found the Pine Barrens Trail again but wow parts of it are super rough & narrow. got in a little over an hour of riding over about 2.5 hrs away from my car. parked in lot 2 again & worked my way East & South. stayed inside the park boundaries this time & took the paved bike trail back North. it was super covered w pine needles. did pretty well again w/ map & compass but had to use the find my friends phone app to locate myself. it's great to know exactly where you are!

saw a cpl dead pheasants? quails? a hunter I spoke to at the parking lot mentioned some hunters leave the dead birds they shoot. animals had gotten to them so they were too gross to take a pic

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-10-19 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 07:53 PM
rumrunn6

looped 8 miles. checked out some trails around the SE corner of the park. 60 degrees today! parking lot 3 was closed so I parked in the equestrian parking lot on Halfway Pond Rd. East of Jessup. used the bridle path in the corner of the lot, which parallels Halfway Pond Rd then dumps you out on Jessup at the intersection of the two roads. it's hard to find / see when you're heading back to the lot. should have placed a marker. kept riding past the intersection but didn't know what I was looking for

this is where the bridle path back to the lot is. an alternate plan could be to find the auto entrance on Halfway Pond Rd

this is that bridle path as I was starting my ride from the EQ parking. I should check out the bridle path as it continues o the other side of Jessup (seen in the last few frames)

this is a different intersection. many of these look very much the same, but they're labeled, so if you have a map & compass you're all set. w/ a car or truck, you can bounce around until you find your way out, but on a bike, it's real work, so it's best to carry a map & know where you are!

this is Barrett Pond, which I accessed from Jessup Rd. There was a sign stating it was a designated fire fighting draft station & is mentioned on "Wiki" as being a "warm water" pond, whatever that means

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-13-20 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 01:30 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
I am a Roadie, I am looking for a change, I have been thinking about giving Mountain Biking a try. I know nothing about the sport. After seeing your pictures that looks like the type of riding I would like to do. What advice could you give me? What kind of bike for a newbe? Where do you find places to ride off road? Any information you can give me would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old 01-16-20, 07:15 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by jsilvia
advice about mountain biking.
flattered you asked me, cuz I'm no authority. lots of ppl know waaay more than me! in general, you can ask & research similar questions in the BF mountain bike subforum https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/
& peruse others like https://www.mtbr.com/ & https://www.singletracks.com/

regarding what kind of bike, mine seems to be working out OK, it's a 29er style MTB, got it on craigslist for $200. there are plenty to choose from depending on your area, most are a bit more expensive that that. but keep your eye out & you can get lucky. there are even more 26" wheeled MTBs available for short money, but the trend is for bigger wheels. there's another sized called 27.5 which is a compromise & I think that wheel size has a "plus" category that takes wider tires

I was torturing hybrids on unpaved rail trails but started exploring rougher trails, so it was good to move on to a bike w/ a suspension fork & 2.25"tires. I stay on easy trails cuz I'm 60 now & just want to explore like I used to in my 4x4

regarding places to ride, there are some websites that list places & rate the trails from easy to hard, etc. here are a cpl bookmarks

https://www.singletracks.com/mountai...w_state_id=402

=mountain-biking&diff=easy&usage=1&elev=0&elev=631]https://www.alltrails.com/explore/us/massachusetts/holliston?a=mountain-biking&diff=easy&usage=1&elev=0&elev=631

https://www.traillink.com/

https://www.trailforks.com/region/we...&lon=-70.02387

https://www.trailforks.com/region/my...-forest-23836/

when I find trails I do more research using google maps, map view, satellite view, anything I can to determine conditions. I have old map books but the internet is great now. dirt roads near water is sometimes a good place to start. it's always interesting riding near water features. I have a pile of scrap paper on my desk with trails I want to ride, so sometimes I grab one & try it out. if I find a place I like I got back & explore more.

MTBs handle differently, for example of you go slowly up a steep incline & the surface is poor, you can stall & fall. that really surprised me the first time it happened. rides are less about speed stats & more about time on the saddle or out in the great outdoors. meaning, even tho I keep track of my miles & speed I don't worry if I only rode 5-12 miles & never got over 6 avrg mph. don't be afraid of riding near, around or thru mud but it poses hazards to the environment, your bike & potential for falls. I like easy flowy trails that are not "technical". I like going fast, it's pretty fun over gravel but I don't want to fall at high speed, alone, out in the woods. carry a map & compass & a charged phone that can help you locate yourself & the way back to your car, or home. carry a light just in case you suffer a catastrophic bike failure & wind up walking out, which might make you later than you expected

can't think of anything else right now, except maybe read where other ppl went & just got here, cuz it's a known entity. oh & since hunters are out year round, wear bright colors. I like the idea of blending in & not wearing day-glo stuff, but the flip side can be fatal. if you're over 40 be careful w/ your heart some short sections of steep climbs can get your heart pumping way harder that you might expect. just stop at the top, settle your breathing then go at it again

just found this

https://buckyrides.com/its-all-good-until-its-not/

courtesy of @jbucky1

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-16-20 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-16-20, 05:35 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Road riding is starting to get stale I love riding just looking to add something different. I usually ride over 5000 miles per year, I'm 61 years old. The off road riding that you do is what I'm interested in doing. I am looking at a Scott Scale 970 Hardtail.

Thanks for all your info. it will be put to good use
Old 01-16-20, 07:58 PM
2manybikes

Bring some cash and food and drink. I don't go anywhere now without a rain jacket. in deep woods tell someone where you are going and maybe even call in during the ride if they are worried. If you break down, just stand around, eventually rumrunn6 will show up.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 01-17-20, 07:02 PM
rumrunn6

If you break down, just stand around, eventually rumrunn6 will show up.
Old 01-17-20, 08:01 PM
2manybikes

Old 01-20-20, 02:57 PM
rumrunn6

online map viewer showing equestrian parking lot

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...996b9c95ee0c7f

whole park w/ great ability to zoom

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...ef9e28717a1035

home page w/ choices

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.htm...764702298bf68a

this one has trails listed

https://www.trailforks.com/region/my...&lon=-70.67505

still can't find the map tho that shows "unpaved bike trails", the one I was marking as I rode ... hmmm ...
Old 01-22-20, 09:29 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by jsilvia
Scott Scale 970 Hardtail
super nice bike! jealous! another thing, we run MTB tires waaaay softer & some go tubeless. I've been happy w 25 psi rear & 21 psi front. I don't check them before rides, just squeeze them with my hands & look at them as I ride. don't want them too squirmy but do want them spreading out a bit over soft terrain & absorbing ground irregularities

when are you getting your bike?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-22-20 at 09:37 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.