Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Sociables

Old 10-09-19, 11:16 AM
DC Bike Blogger
DC Bike Blogger

Bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Sociables

-
A tandem is defined as "a bicycle with seats and pedals for two riders, one behind the other." I have several multi-rider bikes, but by that definition not all are tandems. Anyone else ride a sociable?
-
-

1980 Yellow Buddy Bike Sociable

-
My other bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/
Old 10-09-19, 08:06 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by DC Bike Blogger
-
A tandem is defined as "a bicycle with seats and pedals for two riders, one behind the other." I have several multi-rider bikes, but by that definition not all are tandems. Anyone else ride a sociable?
-
Most tandem definitions say two or more riders. I've seen lots of triple tandems, but trying to imagine how a triple version of a sociable like yours would work.........
Also wondering how possible it is to ride your double as a single?
Old 10-09-19, 08:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
In most contexts it’d be “twin” or “double”
Old 10-10-19, 05:32 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
By definition, tandem is for two, otherwise it becomes “triplet” for three, “quadruplet,” etc.
Old 10-10-19, 05:56 AM
DC Bike Blogger
DC Bike Blogger

Bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
-
Google the term "sociable bike" and you will get over 14 million results. And while it can be referred to differently, the term sociable has been around since the 1800's. According to Wikipedia, "The sociable or buddy bike or side by side bicycle is a bicycle that supports two riders who sit next to one another, in contrast to a tandem bicycle, where the riders sit fore and aft. The name "sociable" alludes to the relative ease with which the two cyclists can speak with each other, unlike on the tandem." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociable)

A sociable can be ridden by just one person. However, I have not yet mastered that. There are videos, however, on YouTube showing it being done by people with more skill and a better sense of balance than I possess.

And calling my Co-motion PeriScope Trident Convertible bike for three people a "triple tandem" sounds the same to me as saying a woman gave birth to three twins. I have most commonly heard to it being called a "triplet," including by the manufacturer. I have never heard of or seen a two-wheeled sociable for three people.

But in my opinion it doesn't really matter what people call them. What matters is how much fun I have riding them.
-

2005 Dark Plum Co-motion PeriScope Trident Convertible
-
Likes For DC Bike Blogger:
Old 10-10-19, 06:02 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
First one I've ever seen. I'd think there would be a bit of learning curve in riding that.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-10-19, 07:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I think I recognize those tires - Innova Swifter?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-10-19, 06:38 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Wikipedia describes tandem well: "The tandem bicycle or twin is a form of bicycle (occasionally a tricycle) designed to be ridden by more than one person. The term tandem refers to the seating arrangement (fore to aft, not side by side), not the number of riders. .............................. As with bicycles for single riders, there are many variations that have been developed over the years."
Old 10-18-19, 07:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I think the problem is that "triplet" or "triplet bicycle" just doesn't convey much meaning to most people, so the "tandem" gets on there to mean "multi-person" and the "triple" is there to say how many.
The most common side-by-side arrangement I've seen in Craigslist is the Worksman trike.

One of the definitions of "tandem" I find is "a group of two or more arranged one behind the other or used or acting in conjunction", so the usage is not altogether wrong. I see some similar usage in "triple tandem" trucks, describing a truck pulling three trailers.
I think the Worksman side-by-side trikes frequently show up as "tandems" in Craigslist, for lack of a better term. Heck, a lot of people don't even know what a tandem bike is in the first place. On Worksman's website, they say, "Unlike conventional tandems..yada, yada, sales pitch...It takes a TEAM to ride a TANDEM."
Old 10-20-19, 02:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Sociables have always seemed like more of a novelty than anything that was ever ridden very far. That arrangement starts to make a little more sense with trikes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-20-19, 04:08 PM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Here is one for sale on kijiji in Ontario, Canada