Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Should I experiment with different chain lube before picking the right one for me?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Should I experiment with different chain lube before picking the right one for me?

Old 10-09-19, 08:04 PM
Mike569

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I m considering what lube i should purchase from bike shops. But i m not really sure which type of lubercant I needed and I m thinking of experimenting or test different type of lubes from different brands to see which one is the best for my Giant ATX 3 mtb.
Old 10-09-19, 08:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
You have my permission to experiment. Andy
Old 10-09-19, 08:22 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I have been using the Dupont Chain-Saver motorcycle chain lube from Walmart. Works on my motorcycles, works on my bicycles.
Old 10-09-19, 08:32 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
I don't have super strong feelings about it honestly. The ATX is a great bike if it meets your needs, but truthfully it's pretty inexpensive an not particularly high performance. Use whatever--do so reasonably often (well before the chain makes noise), wipe it down well afterwards, and wipe it down between rides even when you're not adding more lube. You'll be doing better than 95% of riders.

My personal preference is for oil based lubricants because I feel that while they may be slightly mesier, they provide better lubrication and hold up to wet and muddy conditions better. My work mostly uses Dumonde Tech lube which is fine, and I use it on some of my bikes. The claim is that it has plastic agents that bond to the metal of the chain--I can't really evaluate that claim, it works fine. On others I use Chain-L--which is thick, gross smelling, and messy, but I do think provides very good, long lasting lubrication. I don't like wax based lubes generally, and I think that TriFlow is too thin and easily washed away to be a particularly good chain lube.
Old 10-09-19, 08:35 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I think you should buy one, then use it until it’s gone. Once that is finished, buy a different one, and repeat. There are enough brands that, by the time you finish your experiment, you’ll be dead.
Old 10-09-19, 09:24 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I recently bought Muc-Off Hydrodynamic because it was 5 dollars on sale at REI. Most of the others were like twice that or more. Still seems expensive to me, given how little there is in the tube. I do like it, though. It seems to work well.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-09-19, 09:58 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
If we could only block chain lube threads.
How many 100's must we endure?

You absolutely cannot experiment.
You pick the wrong one and stick with it.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-09-19, 10:09 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike569
Should i experiment with different bike chain lube before picking the right one for m
I m considering what lube i should purchase from bike shops. But i m not really sure which type of lubercant I needed and I m thinking of experimenting or test different type of lubes from different brands to see which one is the best for my Giant ATX 3 mtb.
You should experiment but absolutely don't limit yourself to what's available from bike shops. Read the many chain lube threads here and try all the "alternatives" including water-based non toxic "personal lube", candle wax, motor oil, bearing grease, silicone spray, and many others. Really if you adopt the attitude that anything is better than actual chain lube, you'll eventually find the best.
Old 10-10-19, 12:04 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Slooooowly I turned. Step by step, inch by inch...
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-10-19, 12:09 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
If we could only block chain lube threads.
How many 100's must we endure?
...this is how the incredible, endlessly entertaining, helment thread got started. What a great idea...one unending chain lube thread into which they could all be melded and conjoined.
Old 10-10-19, 02:34 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I like Squirt myself because the chain stays clean. But you have to use it a lot more often.

As for there being too many threads on the topic, we've been talking about things for at least 15 years now, endlessly repeating...
Likes For zacster:
Old 10-10-19, 02:49 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I just load up my oil cans with whatever motor oil i got in the shed, not too thin - not too thick
Likes For le mans:
Old 10-10-19, 04:38 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
IMHO, decide the cleanliness vs maintenance intervals. From my experiences regarding lubricants exposed to the open elements/environment, it will attract dirt. How much grime do you want to tolerate?

With that opinion & my experiences, I've accepted the fact that I'd rather have a cleaner chain that I will likely need to replace sooner than later. Which means, I try to use a product that is least likely to cause the infamous black chain stains while providing some level of lubrication during the drivetrain's life.

Since doing so, I've noticed less noise during the rides, consistent durability, & increased level of readiness; hop on & go at will without worry.

After you figure out which is most important to you that you can afford, picking the product[s] might come to you easier compared to trying a vast variety of what's available to you.
Old 10-10-19, 06:12 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 643 Posts
Somebody above mentioned the Muck-Off, I agree, really like the stuff, best part is, it runs very smooth, doesn't sling off and get all over your bike. I've had very good luck with it.

Keep your chain clean !

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 10-10-19, 06:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
As you may have gathered "the best chain lubes" questions are a very contentious and have been beaten to death in many, many long threads here. Almost everyone has their favorite and defends it vociferously. A search should give you hours of reading material.

Basically there are two classes of chain lubes:

1. Wax based types, either melted wax or wax dissolved in an evaporating solvent. These work well enough in very dry conditions like the desert southwest. They are quiet and very clean but not very durable and, depending on the type, can be laborious to use. They do not work well in wet conditions at all.

2. Oil based, either oil, specialty oil or heavy oils thinned with evaporating solvents. These are easy to apply and work well in general and wet conditions but tend to attract dirt if the excess isn't wiped off.

As above, pick almost any one of the commercial lubes (or make your own as described in several other threads) depending on your riding conditions and use it frequently. You are unlikely to be able to make any meaningful comparison among the available brands and all will work adequately.
Old 10-10-19, 08:05 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
You have my permission to experiment. Andy
Andy -

I have rescinded that permission. OP must buy a lifetime supply of one type of lube then use it until they are dead.

Check with me first, next time, please, to avoid this confusion.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 10-10-19, 08:12 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I recently bought Muc-Off Hydrodynamic because it was 5 dollars on sale at REI. Most of the others were like twice that or more. Still seems expensive to me, given how little there is in the tube. I do like it, though. It seems to work well.
I did as well! My only regret is that I only bought one and when I went back they were sold out.

This lube is pretty good. I like it better than the wax based lubes like Pedro's chain lube and the infamous Finish Line Dry lube. Lasts a bit longer and seems to be a little slicker and holds on better.

For winter/off road I have been using NFS. This stuff is pretty freakin awesome.

PS - If you want to start the longest thread ever on any board having to do with anything mechanical all you have to do is ask about lubrication (And possibly some boards having nothing to do with mechanics at all).

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 10-10-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-10-19, 08:22 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It really doesn’t matter as long as you apply generously, wipe the excess, and repeat often.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-10-19, 08:33 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It really doesn’t matter as long as you apply generously, wipe the excess, and repeat often.

My usual reply to the which lube should I use is this analogy. It's not which brand of soap you use when you bathe. It's that you do bathe and use some sort of soap. Andy
Old 10-10-19, 08:39 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike569
It's a rabbit hole!

Whatever lube you use, what's even more important is that you replace your chain when it gets worn, before it has a chance to damage your freewheel or cassette. I prefer using a ruler to check the chain wear, but there are chain-checking tools that would keep you out of trouble, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-10-19, 08:53 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
The OP forgot the popcorn icon. So here it is:

As someone who does research, I would point out that unless you embark on a fairly ambitious research program (for example using 10 bikes over a year, engaging others to ride each bike 100 miles a week, and testing 10 or so lube products, then building a dynamometer to measure watt loss, etc) you're not going to figure out anything more than what has been published. There are already articles and long posts and thousands of hours expended upon advocating or criticizing one approach or another.

I think if you clean and lube the chain pretty regularly, more frequently if you ride in rain and snow and near salt water, you'll be good. If getting chain smudge on your sock is a big deal, use dry lube. But the key thing is: THE TYPE OF LUBE DOESN'T MATTER THAT MUCH, AS LONG AS YOU CLEAN AND LUBE REGULARLY. And make sure you replace a worn chain. So buy some tri-flow, lube up, and ride.

Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I have been using the Dupont Chain-Saver motorcycle chain lube from Walmart. Works on my motorcycles, works on my bicycles.
I use this product, too, and like it. They sell both a lube and a cleaner (Mechanics Cleaner) and I use both. Works great.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dupont+chain+lube&hvadid=3481934744&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_2t100wvhfj_e
Old 10-10-19, 09:24 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
To the OP, I quickly checked the specs on your Giant ATX 3, it uses a very inexpensive chain ("8 speed chain").

Whatever you do regarding chain lube/chain cleaning, just remember the chain itself is a <$20 item, and it's part of the drivetrain that, if you ride enough, should be replaced with some regularity. In other words, it's a wear item that is not a permanent part on a well-ridden bike. Bottom line: keep it reasonably clean and lube it enough to keep it quiet. Beyond that, monitor the wear and replace when appropriate. Spending a lot of time and money to preserve a sub-$20 part doesn't make sense.
Likes For well biked:
Old 10-10-19, 09:38 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Re: the recommendation for Muc-Off. I'm seeing a lot of Muc-Off lubes. I'm guess though in reading the thread this is the one people are having good results with:

Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 10-10-19, 12:18 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

I use chainsaw bar oil on a clean chain every 800 miles or so. When the black wear particles come up just wipe them off.
Old 10-10-19, 12:51 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I think you should buy one, then use it until it’s gone. Once that is finished, buy a different one, and repeat. There are enough brands that, by the time you finish your experiment, you’ll be dead.
Got to disagree with this. By the time you're finished, the one you prefer will be out of production or the formulation will have changed instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.