Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chased by two Rottweilers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chased by two Rottweilers

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 02:41 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,633 Times in 3,478 Posts
No gun talk, last warning.
Old 10-10-19, 02:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
how about dropping food?
Old 10-10-19, 05:42 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I use ammonia mixed with liquid soap. It 'sticks' better. Slow down or at least stop pedaling. Grab the bottle in the cage but don't pull it out, yet. I keep mine in lower cage. Make sure it is open. Let the dog get close then swing the bottle toward the dog as you squeeze. Try to actually hit the dog's nose with the bottle's tip. It takes nerve but...it works! Aim for the nostrils and eyes. Don't stick your arm out holding the bottle. The dog might smell the ammonia plus it's an inefficient way to let loose the contents. Ammonia overloads dogs olfactory sense and may even damage it but I don't care. I'd rather that dog never smell another dog's anus than to cause me to wreck on a bicycle! I've never had multiple dogs get close. It's usually just one who is 'king'. For smaller dogs a good swift kick under the chin works great! I actually hurt my foot on one but that sucker doesn't chase anymore! No-sir!

Ammonia causes the water bottle to break down over time so just re-purpose another one that you can't clean enough to suit ya! Am I an expert at squirting dogs? I think so living in Kentucky country! I love a good huntin' or pet dog and hate an undisciplined mongrel.

True story: riding my usual route a dog owner tried to 'sick' his dog on me. I stopped and told that ignorant person (put your own expletive deleted in here) that I could hear every word he said. He disappeared after that! Never had any more issues at that house, either.
Old 10-10-19, 07:38 PM
Jeff of Vt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm a bit confused on what's going on here. The OP's posts were deleted but there wasn't a cited violation of the posted rules that I could find unless I'm missing it? There is an interesting historical bit involving this very topic, firearms, and collectible antiques but it I'm not really sure if this can be shared now.

Regarding dogs, I personally never allow them to give me chase. I always stop and face the dog. There's something about two wheels that gets dogs excited and I've found that running from an animal only affirms to them that you're something to be chased. I haven't had a dog attack doing this as they always stop dead in their tracks and either run or walk away. Of course, with some poorly raised dogs there's a chance of an attack but I'd rather deal with the situation face to face than be knocked off a bike.
Old 10-10-19, 07:42 PM
m3tal070

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sjh953
m3tal070, so let me get this straight: it's 2019, and you're being chased by a dog. And the dog wins. You've done your best to outrun it, but for whatever reason, you crash. So now you're laying in the street, possibly injured, possibly dazed, and in addition to that the dog is chewing on your leg, your arm, your face. Maybe a car was behind you, and you've also been run over by 4000 pounds of steel.

But you're right. Pull out your phone, and calmly "contact authorities". And don't say anything mean to the dog -- you might hurt its feelings.
You know you presented a hypothetical scenario (that detail!) just to call me out? Mmmmk.
Old 10-10-19, 07:55 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
new people moved in on my regular route with a loose dog.

after a few chases, I stopped last night, and he ran to his side of the road. I said "go?" and his ears perked.

I took off and he chased and barked . for some dogs it just seems to be a chase game. This one doesn't seem to go far. So from now on I'll just indulge him. Him not going far is probably a good thing, It looks like a fairly large redbone coonhound. If he wanted to he could probably run half my route.
Old 10-10-19, 08:14 PM
sjh953

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m3tal070
You know you presented a hypothetical scenario (that detail!) just to call me out? Mmmmk.
Thanks! I got caught up in the moment. I'm thinking of turning it into a screenplay.
Old 10-10-19, 08:19 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread closed for moderator review.