Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin 810 (or similar) switch repair

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 10-08-19, 11:00 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts

The rubber membrane cover on my Garmin 810 power switch failed, but was still somewhat attached, so I've been using it normally for several weeks, once, even in a nasty rain ride. Today, the cover came off entirely, leaving the switch exposed, but hard to reach down inside the case. I Googled "810 switch repair" and found a video that, while useful, was more trouble than I wanted to deal with. I figured out a repair that is basically free, and takes longer to explain than to actually do. I took a largish rubber band, like from a bunch of asparagus. It needs to be about 1/4" wide, and cut to approximately 1.4 to 1.5" long. Roll up the rubber band to fill the oval hole in the case, trim it flush to the cover and apply electrical tape to seal it to the case. Easy, and it works.

Missing waterproof switch membrane and exposed micro switch. Large rubber band used as photo prop.

Cut rubber band to about 1.5" long.

Roll cut rubber band and fit into oval hole in case. Test on/off function by pushing on side of rolled band.

Trim exposed part of rubber band flush to side of case. If your blade is as rusty as mine, be very careful!

Finish off with good quality electrical tape.

Check on/off function, go for a ride!
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 10-11-19, 09:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
that might be better than the original.
Old 10-16-19, 07:28 PM
Don777

Bikes: Cannondale R600 and Beater MTB

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the idea for the fix. My 800 turns on and off quite well again. Kindly - Don
Old 10-17-19, 09:14 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
My Edge 1000 had this happen. Garmin wanted $150 to "fix" it...AKA send my a refurb unit out-of-warranty. Sold that device to a mate.
Old 04-02-22, 06:45 PM
NatureSeeker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Garmin 810 (or similar) switch repair

I just had to register to Bike Forums in order to thank you for this simple button repair. My Edge 810 is a good as new (already replaced the battery that was a very intimidating procedure). I was skeptical that the edge of a rubber band would "push" the button area sufficiently but it works great. I was all ready to upgrade my 7 year old 810 to a 1030 plus. Even convinced my wife, but now will wait for another day for something less repairable.
Likes For NatureSeeker:
Old 04-21-22, 11:00 PM
ja.cobra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile

I went to use my 810 on Wednesday for a long ride and discovered I could not turn it on. After a moment of panic I realised the rubber around the switch had perished and I was able to turn it on using the end of my bike lock key. When I got back from the ride I googled the problem and found this thread. I have now done the same repair and it works perfectly. Many thanks for sharing it.

Last edited by ja.cobra; 04-21-22 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling errror
Old 04-22-22, 08:27 AM
ja.cobra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to add to my post, I have a silicon protective cover for the Garmin, so decided I would not need the sticky tape as the cover should keep the rain out.
Old 07-31-22, 03:42 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Finish off with good quality electrical tape.
Any recommendations anyone has for types of electrical tape whether material (vinyl, rubber) or other qualities (mastic)?

I am not riding in the rain too much but that is my main concern as I definitely do ride in the rain once in a while. Not sure if it might be worth applying some other tape over it to help act as a water seal though too.
Old 07-31-22, 11:42 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by DTownDave22
Any recommendations anyone has for types of electrical tape whether material (vinyl, rubber) or other qualities (mastic)?

I am not riding in the rain too much but that is my main concern as I definitely do ride in the rain once in a while. Not sure if it might be worth applying some other tape over it to help act as a water seal though too.
I use 3M vinyl tape.
Old 10-22-22, 09:30 PM
Mike_AUS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just repaired my old 810 - same issue as the rest with the case button perished. I have a cover on mine so probably why it lasted as long as it did.
I use Polymorph to make a new button. Easy to carve out and so far working well.
Thanks for the tips
Old 02-22-23, 03:54 AM
Pageois

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks so much for this. Simple, cheap and effective. Back on the road in no time!