Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Old 10-11-19, 09:10 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At this point, I either ignore it or *maybe* calmly say something like, "Please put your lights on, it is dark out." or "Please put on your turn signal." But, everyone is so into themselves these days, pretty much ANY suggestion from a stranger is seen as a reason to fight. If they directly engage me for no reason or fault of my own, I will get defensively aggressive and tell them to stop bothering me, go on about their day, or I'll call the police. I'm usually pretty forceful at that point. I also do MOST of my riding in urban areas these days, so lots of other people around. On a country road and if I'm isolated, I just try to move on/get out of there ASAP.
Old 10-11-19, 01:11 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
... But if for no other reason to speak up consider this quote:

"You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.". ...
I've always hated that quote, because it's logically incoherent and usually used to bully someone into agreement or silence.

This post is a case in point, neither part of a solution nor the problem. Just randomly contentious I guess ... but I feel like challenging this notion lest I be deemed "part of the problem" that it entails ...
Old 10-11-19, 04:03 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I always, always, always de-escalate. People have a habit of getting shot in this town.
Old 10-11-19, 05:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I've always hated that quote, because it's logically incoherent and usually used to bully someone into agreement or silence.

This post is a case in point, neither part of a solution nor the problem. Just randomly contentious I guess ... but I feel like challenging this notion lest I be deemed "part of the problem" that it entails ...
You're either over-analyzing the phrase and missing the message. I look at it as a call to arms and a reminder that we're all responsible in some measure for the state of our society. When someones says society is messed up, I ask them what have they done lately to make it better.

Speaking out and challenging wrong, is the first step and least we can do. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm compelled to at least do tat much.

By sitting by and doing nothing, we're contributing to the very problem they claim to oppose. You need to go no further than your local news broadcast to be reminded of that. How many help your neighbor stories do you see a night verses all the carnage and corruption?
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I always, always, always de-escalate. People have a habit of getting shot in this town.
Deescalation is a strategy, but not always a solution. Trouble can follow you no matter what you do.
Old 10-12-19, 06:45 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You're either over-analyzing the phrase and missing the message.
No such thing as over-analyzing! That's just another thing people say when they don't like logical conclusions.

By sitting by and doing nothing, we're contributing to the very problem they claim to oppose. You need to go no further than your local news broadcast to be reminded of that.
If that were a rational conclusion, then you'd be contributing to every problem in the word because you are not doing anything to solve them.
Old 10-12-19, 01:32 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Ha, ha. Just this past Wednesday around 11am, I was honked at by a tractor-trailor driver. He honked twice before changing lanes and passing me. When I caught up with him, I told him we were in the diamond lane. But he swore at me anyways. So that went well just as if I had just let it go.
Times like these, I wish I had a camera instead so I can call or write to the company instead.
Old 10-12-19, 01:53 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Ha, ha. Just this past Wednesday around 11am, I was honked at by a tractor-trailor driver. He honked twice before changing lanes and passing me. When I caught up with him, I told him we were in the diamond lane. But he swore at me anyways. So that went well just as if I had just let it go.
Times like these, I wish I had a camera instead so I can call or write to the company instead.
Just call them.
Many of them have GPS tracking in their vehicles anyway.
I am in Australia and I tell them that I have been involved in a Workplace incident with one of their field units. They are more scared of the Government department that manages workplace incidents than they are of the police as any workplace incident can lead to a review of their entire workplace.
Old 10-12-19, 02:25 PM
bpcyclist

Seriously thinking of just putting a GoPro on my helmet.
Old 10-12-19, 02:42 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by sumgy
Just call them.
Many of them have GPS tracking in their vehicles anyway.
I am in Australia and I tell them that I have been involved in a Workplace incident with one of their field units. They are more scared of the Government department that manages workplace incidents than they are of the police as any workplace incident can lead to a review of their entire workplace.
My problem is that I can never remember the name of the company. My attention is looking out for the traffic. I'd make a lousy witness.
Old 10-15-19, 03:57 PM
phillman5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're either over-analyzing the phrase and missing the message. I look at it as a call to arms and a reminder that we're all responsible in some measure for the state of our society. When someones says society is messed up, I ask them what have they done lately to make it better.

Speaking out and challenging wrong, is the first step and least we can do. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm compelled to at least do tat much.

By sitting by and doing nothing, we're contributing to the very problem they claim to oppose. You need to go no further than your local news broadcast to be reminded of that. How many help your neighbor stories do you see a night verses all the carnage and corruption?
KraneXL: How right you are. People tell me "let it go". But if everybody just 'lets it go' nothing will change!
Old 10-15-19, 04:02 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
Old 10-15-19, 09:03 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
What would seal the deal for you?
Old 10-16-19, 12:44 AM
bpcyclist

Maybe one more incident. Or, if I get serious about adding this 21-mile trail we have here called Springwater A guy was basically mugged there a few months ago and his really nice Colnago stolen by what turned out to be a punk. Anyhow, my morning rides start every day at 0430. A lot of that trail is isolated from streets or any potential help or oversight. A camera might come in handy. You never know...
Old 10-16-19, 10:54 AM
Daniel4

I'd like to get one too but they're so expensive.
Old 10-16-19, 04:21 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Cheaper than most insurance deductibles.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 10-16-19, 08:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
Cheaper than most insurance deductibles.
Care to explain the relevance? Do you seriously believe the purchase and use of a video camera reduces a bicycle rider's risk of accidental injury?
Old 10-17-19, 01:15 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Never been harassed so I don't deal with it. I do ride and obey all rules and laws. Many time I enter a 4 way intersection. I prepare to stop, signal etc and 90% of the time, all drivers will wave me through. I think they appreciate a law abiding cyclist.

I also have heard many cyclist complain about drivers. They swear by their cycling but having been on with them on rides, I can see why motorists get upset with them.
Old 10-17-19, 07:50 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Only if you want the latest and greatest, which most people won't use even a fraction of the features anyway.

You can pick up a GP3-GP5 for well under $100 on ebay these days. Really anything from the GP2 (720 HD) on is fine if you just want it for 'evidence'.
Old 10-17-19, 09:22 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
Never been harassed so I don't deal with it. I do ride and obey all rules and laws. Many time I enter a 4 way intersection. I prepare to stop, signal etc and 90% of the time, all drivers will wave me through. I think they appreciate a law abiding cyclist.

I also have heard many cyclist complain about drivers. They swear by their cycling but having been on with them on rides, I can see why motorists get upset with them.
Lucky you. Must be bike heaven where you live.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-17-19, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere

Almost every time I get honked at, I am riding perfectly legally and FRAP, not even in the driver's way. The other times, it's usually because drivers don't understand what bicyclists are supposed to do with turn lanes. And yes, I consider honking at someone harassment.
Old 10-17-19, 06:10 PM
bpcyclist

I just spent 2 1/2 hours riding in town in the rain, half of it during rush hour. I had no fewer than five vehicles pause to let me go, defer to me at a stop/light when they had the right of way, or just completely stop in the middle of the road to let me cross a busy street with no light for me. That's the flip side of the harassment story. All the drivers, personal and commercial, who go out of their way to be cautious around cyclists and to help us when they can. There are a lot of them and we ought not forget them.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-17-19, 06:17 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
i just spent 2 1/2 hours riding in town in the rain, half of it during rush hour. I had no fewer than five vehicles pause to let me go, defer to me at a stop/light when they had the right of way, or just completely stop in the middle of the road to let me cross a busy street with no light for me. That's the flip side of the harassment story. All the drivers, personal and commercial, who go out of their way to be cautious around cyclists and to help us when they can. There are a lot of them and we ought not forget them.
+1
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 10-17-19, 06:35 PM
Daniel4

I just spent 2 1/2 hours riding in town in the rain, half of it during rush hour. I had no fewer than five vehicles pause to let me go, defer to me at a stop/light when they had the right of way, or just completely stop in the middle of the road to let me cross a busy street with no light for me. That's the flip side of the harassment story. All the drivers, personal and commercial, who go out of their way to be cautious around cyclists and to help us when they can. There are a lot of them and we ought not forget them.
I do appreciate it when road users give consideration of others as I sometimes let motorists and pedestrians go ahead of me.

However, some people right here in the BikeForums discussion forums don't as they refer to them as Niceholes.
Old 10-18-19, 01:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I try to wave or salute or whatever when someone does this, and I definitely try to remember it so I don't get all bent out of shape the next time someone is nasty to me. I think there's about 10 nice guys to every jerk, but the jerks really do tend to stick in my mind if I'm not careful. I had a guy the other day roll down his window to thank me for moving over to the left a few inches at a red light to let him take the right turn in his car. Courtesy makes riding and driving a lot more pleasant.

Of course, just a few hours later, when I took the center lane on a road that divided left and right, the center lane going to the left, some jerk from behind honks at me, goes into the left lane, zooms ahead of me, then pops into the right lane. He just couldn't stand the thought of passing me on the right for some reason even though I was several feet to the left, and decided it was better to cross my lane twice. No one else around, either. Rocket scientist, I guess.
Old 10-18-19, 01:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I do appreciate it when road users give consideration of others as I sometimes let motorists and pedestrians go ahead of me.

However, some people right here in the BikeForums discussion forums don't as they refer to them as Niceholes.
I don't like the term, but there are situations where this courtesy is actually worse than unhelpful. People doing it sometimes don't realize they're actually cutting off a line of sight on another lane or they can't see another lane where there are cars approaching. I have had to actually flag someone through, insisting they need to move first, which I suspect the driver thinks is kind of rude on my part, but if I can't see around them, I can't go without putting myself at severe risk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.