Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 10-13-19, 09:57 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Thank you! I do love this bike now that it’s finished.

The brakes are Shimano 105 5800 — picked them up from Chain Reaction during a big sale, and they’re much better than the original Aero Gran Compes (which I have tucked away).

For the cable stop, I had a spare incomplete set of Symmetric shifters that I butchered for this purpose. The drive side had a protrusion that needed to be removed with a hacksaw, and then the internals needed to be tapped to M5x0.8 so I could mount standard cable stops. Again, I have the original Symmetrics tucked away.

You also asked about the handlebar bag — it’s a vintage Cannondale.
well, those are nice brakes. did some reading reviews on them haven't heard a bad word. they're pretty pricey, but maybe a deal like yours will pop up somewhere. otoh, they can only clear a 28mm max. so they say!

i have some symmetric shifters. and, i have some cyclone top mounts. not sure i'd wanna sacrifice either for that kind of set up, though. hmmm....conundrums

i'll have to keep an eye peeled for a can' bag, too. i've seen them before...all around here on the forum. i really like them

thanks for the response!
Old 10-13-19, 10:16 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
Finally working on a recently traded-for 63cm (CTT) 1981 Univega Gran Premio. Paint was cleaned and then waxed and looks great, especially for getting on closer to 40 years old (now I feel old!). Tange Champion tubing. Hand made frame with thinned long-point lugs and diamond cutouts. Lovely detailing.

Among my current and past Columbus SL and Tange Prestige frames--all in the 63-66cm range--they all weight similar (frame, fork, headset), which ends up being 3000g or very very close. This Gran Premio must have a Sumo Edition of Champion tubing that I don't know about because it weighs 3557g!! For a top-end or near top end frame, that is a full 2.7 lb more than those aforementioned frames (6.6 lb they were). It blows past my 65cm 1981 Trek 412 (Ishiwata 022 and hi-ten tubing) and is more or less a full (nice) touring frameset's weight in the size much smaller. I suppose I could also lump in my '85 Allez SE's frameset as being oddly heavy given its race/competition intent.

I was assured, after this remarkable discovery, by the 'seller' (a BF member), that it rides lighter than its weight suggests. If so, then it would be more akin to my former '88 Specialized Sirrus. In the end, I'm going to not worry about it too much and just build the thing up. I already put the heavy Shimano 600/Campagnolo Atlanta 1996 wheels on it (hey, they don't feel slow!) and am now figuring out what crankset to employ. With steep 74° angles (75° seat tube even?), this thing is going to be pretty 'tuned in' to the road I imagine. Should be fun!
Old 10-14-19, 07:43 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
My First Trek

I picked up this 1981 Trek 412 (One of the Waterford bikes) from a local flipper. Here's the photo from the ad:

It was in beautiful, original condition, nicely cleaned and polished, but for me practically unrideable the way it was set up. I've recently developed a formula, or maybe recipe is a better word, for improving the old sporting road bikes into something I am comfortable riding.

One part of that recipe is to convert them from downtube friction shifting to high-quality, thumb-shifted-and-indexed 1 x 9 or 10-speed. Of course, this necessitates cold-setting the rear axle spacing from 126 to 130 or 135mm. I've done this enough times now that I have it down to a science.

One thing I have discovered is that, instead of a two-step process of spreading and then aligning, I can do both with the same tool:

This is more accurate because I can turn each side out the exact same number of turns until I get to the 155mm that results in a 130mm spread when the alignment tool is removed.

Once I got the drivetrain and new wheelset in-place, I decided to mock-up the rest of the bike into what I had originally envisioned this project to be; another stylish and speedy commuter:

Here is where I need some help. I really thought the copper-plated Mud Butler fenders would go perfectly with the dark blue frame and brown leather saddle/grips combo. But it doesn't look as good as I had imagined.

What say you all?

I am in the process right now of replacing the silver crank, seatpost, and stem with black pieces from the parts bin. Maybe I'll test-fit the fenders again after that, and it will all fall into place.

Early rides feel promising. I can see why Trek has such a following.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-14-19, 09:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
@greg3rd48, how does the PX10 ride? It looks nice!

I spent only 15 minutes on my McLean. I installed the "new" front derailleur but didn't install the new cable. Can y'all see the picture?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-14-19, 11:28 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@greg3rd48, how does the PX10 ride? It looks nice!

I spent only 15 minutes on my McLean. I installed the "new" front derailleur but didn't install the new cable. Can y'all see the picture?
I really love the appearance of the PX10 and the ride feel. I just wish it were a size larger. I can ride it due to the long top tube but a 56cm would fit me much better than a 54cm. Still 75 miles on Sunday with no issues at all. Decisions, decisions.

How do you like that VO crank??
Old 10-14-19, 04:06 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
I picked up this 1981 Trek 412 (One of the Waterford bikes) from a local flipper. Here's the photo from the ad:

It was in beautiful, original condition, nicely cleaned and polished, but for me practically unrideable the way it was set up. I've recently developed a formula, or maybe recipe is a better word, for improving the old sporting road bikes into something I am comfortable riding.

One part of that recipe is to convert them from downtube friction shifting to high-quality, thumb-shifted-and-indexed 1 x 9 or 10-speed. Of course, this necessitates cold-setting the rear axle spacing from 126 to 130 or 135mm. I've done this enough times now that I have it down to a science.

One thing I have discovered is that, instead of a two-step process of spreading and then aligning, I can do both with the same tool:

This is more accurate because I can turn each side out the exact same number of turns until I get to the 155mm that results in a 130mm spread when the alignment tool is removed.

Once I got the drivetrain and new wheelset in-place, I decided to mock-up the rest of the bike into what I had originally envisioned this project to be; another stylish and speedy commuter:

Here is where I need some help. I really thought the copper-plated Mud Butler fenders would go perfectly with the dark blue frame and brown leather saddle/grips combo. But it doesn't look as good as I had imagined.

What say you all?

I am in the process right now of replacing the silver crank, seatpost, and stem with black pieces from the parts bin. Maybe I'll test-fit the fenders again after that, and it will all fall into place.

I don't know about others but this looks good in my eyes!
Old 10-14-19, 04:20 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 214 Posts

What say you all?

I really like it. I like this kind of thing in general too. So i'm nitpicking but I think your brown saddle and grips clash both with the copper fenders and with the black spoked wheels and the black bars. To me, a brown brooks only looks good on a bike with all shiny silver parts.
I don't like the stem bar combo either. It's silly to have a large rise stem and then bars with drop, without even a hand position at the high point. The silver & black together clashes too.
you're also missing your front rack and metal basket zip tied on it.
Old 10-14-19, 08:53 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I like the looks of that Trek, mostly. You did say it's still a work in progress, so final judgement is still pending. 😉

For wrenching, I repacked my front hub this morning, and my headset late this afternoon. Both really needed it, and that's why it took longer than I expected.

I still need to grab a pic, when my hands are relatively clean, but the little seals on the axle nuts clearly say King Kong, lol. 😁
Old 10-15-19, 08:58 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by 2cam16
I don't know about others but this looks good in my eyes!
Thanks! But it already looks better... read on.

Originally Posted by Soody
I really like it. I like this kind of thing in general too. So i'm nitpicking but I think your brown saddle and grips clash both with the copper fenders and with the black spoked wheels and the black bars. To me, a brown brooks only looks good on a bike with all shiny silver parts.
I don't like the stem bar combo either. It's silly to have a large rise stem and then bars with drop, without even a hand position at the high point. The silver & black together clashes too.
Ahhh, there's nothing quite like Kiwi Logic. I'm not sure how much of your reply is serious, and how much is bollocks. As for the handlebar setup, it took me a long time to settle on this, but I really like it. Coming from 30-some years on motorcycles, I'm not used to having multiple hand positions; just one position that is as comfortable as possible.

Originally Posted by stardognine
I like the looks of that Trek, mostly. You did say it's still a work in progress, so final judgement is still pending. 😉
The final revision is coming together. It's wearing black crankset, stem, seatpost, and handlebar now. Fenders are next...

Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-15-19, 10:27 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Thanks! But it already looks better... read on.

Ahhh, there's nothing quite like Kiwi Logic. I'm not sure how much of your reply is serious, and how much is bollocks. As for the handlebar setup, it took me a long time to settle on this, but I really like it. Coming from 30-some years on motorcycles, I'm not used to having multiple hand positions; just one position that is as comfortable as possible.

The final revision is coming together. It's wearing black crankset, stem, seatpost, and handlebar now. Fenders are next...
Handlebar setup/position, this is one of those things that is very personal both aesthetically and functionally. While yours is not my cup of tea, they always strike me as very cool, love the vibe they create on your builds, unique and classy, keep em coming.
Old 10-15-19, 04:45 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 594 Posts
And the breakdown and clean-up has begun to make my freebie roadworthy. Can't wait to finish it and ride.

IMG_0427 by 2cam16, on Flickr

IMG_0424 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 10-16-19, 01:27 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 147 Posts
Would you believe the cables pads and lever adjuster covers/rubbers all arrived from different countries at the same time.
After much fluffing around with the brake setup the bikes in a rideable state. But still a few items in the post...

Old 10-16-19, 01:33 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 147 Posts
Old Altus A20 works fine indexing a 9 speed but a polished Microshift will be here any day.

Old 10-16-19, 07:14 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Looks, or Performance?

The copper-ish fenders are just a bit too blingy on this bike, so I'm not using them. I've converted to all black hardware (except the RD), ordered another Woody's Chopped Chort mudguard for the rear, and I'm going to 700c x 35mm Panaracer T-Servs from the 32s that are on there now. These will just clear in the space that would have been taken up by full fenders.

I also changed out the saddle for one that I've broken in already. The darker brown goes better with the black hardware. Overall, the bike is looking pretty sporty now:

Check out that cool seatpost I found for twenty-two bucks! Between that slightly laid-back position and the longer stem, the riding position is now almost perfect. I'm going to lower the stem by about an inch and see what that does.

Did Trek not believe in water bottle braze-ons back in 1981? I'm looking for a clean solution to that problem now - I won't be putting a handlebar cage on this bike. Any suggestions?

Old 10-16-19, 07:20 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

The silver & black together clashes too.
Wow, I thought you were kidding!

But apparently somebody else here in the `States thinks the same way: https://www.bikeforums.net/21165842-post252.html

Old 10-16-19, 06:14 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 214 Posts
Wow, I thought you were kidding!

But apparently somebody else here in the `States thinks the same way: https://www.bikeforums.net/21165842-post252.html

I'm dead serious about the basket. Mine is below (pic from a few years ago). A nitto m18 would be in order for your trek. You can get copper baskets from homeware stores too, that might look cool.
The rest is all in good fun. Hot takes on bicycle aesthetics can never be totally serious. Your bike is awesome and i think you can handle a bit of silly nitpicking.

Old 10-16-19, 06:14 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Put on some alloy wheels and greased the bb on the ss.
Old 10-16-19, 08:04 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

I'm dead serious about the basket. Mine is below (pic from a few years ago). A nitto m18 would be in order for your trek. You can get copper baskets from homeware stores too, that might look cool.
The rest is all in good fun. Hot takes on bicycle aesthetics can never be totally serious. Your bike is awesome and i think you can handle a bit of silly nitpicking.
Oh yeah, of course. I really enjoy this kind of back-and-forth. Baskets are the utilitarian reality of folks who actually use their bikes for transportation.

Last edited by DQRider; 10-17-19 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-17-19, 12:43 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Per Sheldon's instruction, I made a fixed cup remover tool. It was $11.

The only differences with mine: a 3/8" socket (and extension), my bolt is a bit longer, and I added another lock washer. I also greased it.

It didn't work the first time on my Miyata 912, which made me wonder if I was using it correctly. I loosened the tool, sprayed some Freeze-Off in there, and tried again. Success!

Sure was difficult to remove the nut afterwards.
Old 10-17-19, 01:36 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
My latest coop creation. Torpado Superlight
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 10-17-19, 02:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
After removing the SR Apex crank and rifled campy cups, I mounted a Triomphe bb and crankset to the Miyata.

I lose some of the climbing ability, but I gain some bad assness.

It will run a little smoother, too. I couldn't run an 8-speed chain with the other crankset. The narrow chain was skating between the SR rings on occasion.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-17-19, 07:11 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts

This '84 Piaggio Bianchi is almost done.
Old 10-17-19, 07:18 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Just got done with this:

Put an older set of tubulars on it with fresh rubber. The rear was a modern hub though so I had to convert another new 9 speed cassette to 8 speed (Campagnolo) for it all to work. Dropped a decent 10 ozs off with this swap and should get a better ride out of it now.
Old 10-17-19, 08:08 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
After removing the SR Apex crank and rifled campy cups, I mounted a Triomphe bb and crankset to the Miyata.

I lose some of the climbing ability, but I gain some bad assness.

It will run a little smoother, too. I couldn't run an 8-speed chain with the other crankset. The narrow chain was skating between the SR rings on occasion.
Beautiful bike. Was that an 86 bcd Apex crank? Those are pretty cool.
Old 10-17-19, 08:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Just finished up my 1993 Bridgestone MB 1 yesterday and took it out for a 40 mile spin today with some gravel and a fair amount of climbing. The bike handles great. It's pretty much all showroom. The only things I changed were the tires, grips, brake pads, and pedals. The crank brothers stamp 1 pedal rocks and they're light (329 grams). The kool stop pads are terrific as are the schwalbe touring supreme tires. I like the new grips as well, ODI Rogue lock on grips.

Likes For bikemig:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.