Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

my quest to restore a Peugeot; need to ID model and where to begin!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-09-10, 04:34 PM
sky flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi there, i've been a long time lurker and now hope to contribute myself. i picked up an older Peugeot road bike and from my amateur research on some ID sites i think it's 1974-1977. Maybe a PX 10, but i just dont know. Any help is MUCH appreciated! pics are below and via link...

Link to Peugeot Pics

secondly, as you can tell this bike needs a lot of work and sadly i am a rather inexperienced gear head. typically doing the most basic maintenance and waiting out a yearly tune up at the LBS. so this bike i wish to do most of the work myself, which i realize is no small task with Peugeot's odd dimensions.

nonetheless, i plan on converting it into a city/commuter bike; w some front and rear racks, upright handle bars and some larger white wall tires. i currently own a 2006 Bianchi Volpe which i adore and race around with but want something more relaxing and enjoyable to tool around on, grab groceries, etc.

so please, give me any and all input you may have. i will update this thread w as many pics as possible to detail to other readers how to go abt such a project b/c so many others have helped and motivated me.
Old 09-09-10, 04:59 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
First, judging from the pics, it's definitely not a PX10. Components and tubing pretty much eliminates that possibility.
It's still a solid and most likely nice riding bike though, as many Peugeots from that era was. So don't start looking for really expensive components for it. An upright commuter would be an ideal dieection to go with this frame as you were thinking. Old French bikes seem to always look best with old French components, so if you might be thinking of coming up with something a bit special, that may be the way to go. Keep and eye out for Stronglight, TA, Soubitez, Rigida, Ideale, Hutchinson, Sedis, Atom, Maillard, Simplex, Nevar, Huret, Lyotard, Zefal parts and accessories and it will keep the classic French theme going on the bike. Unfortunately almost all of these French brands are now defunct/gone, so you will not find most of these in any bike shop. But it will be an exciting hunt in the internet to find these French parts, plus a lot of them are still affordable despite their increasing rarity. Yes, it will be much easier to go with new Japanese stuff, but it's just not the same in the end.
Good luck and enjoy your Peugeot project!

Chombi
Old 09-09-10, 05:01 PM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think that's a PX-10, but don't let that discourage you. I just converted my UO-10 to similar purposed ride like you are going to do, and it's fun and reliable. Just hope nothing french-sized needs replacing!

Jesse
Old 09-09-10, 05:23 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
There are no black PX10s.

Old 09-09-10, 05:24 PM
sky flyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the quick replies...any ideas on how to determine the exact model?!

it needs a LOT of work, from my novice eye...
- maybe new rear derailleur
- on the seat tube, there is a switch or lever that has been snapped off. i dont know what this is, maybe a gear shift apparatus of some sort. it's actually dangling on the chain and is a Simplex part.
- new wiring, brakes, tubes, tires
- wheels seem to be ok
- new crankset guard, chain guard
- will probably nix the stem shifters

in terms of parts, i look certainly look into keeping it all french but im not looking to break the bank here and some japanese parts (VO already has me salivating!) could prove useful.

Last edited by sky flyer; 09-09-10 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 05:28 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
+10 Not a PX-10. Welcome to the world of French bikes. Do a search on UO8s, many have converted them. A popular bike despite the challenges of french sizing.

There really is no value to determining the exact model. But if you want to know, then look at the on line catalogs.

Yours might be a 1978 AO8 or a UO8. Your bike really has very few/no features of a PX10.

Yep, your front derailleur snapped off.

Do a search of the forum via google: Peugeot UO8 site:bikeforums.net

You will find a lot of threads on upgrades/replacements/repairs.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-09-10 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 05:32 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm no Peugeot expert by any means, but I'm thinking that you have a '77 or '78 AO8, the bottom of the Peugeot line. The AO8 had painted forks, while the UO8, the next step up from the AO8, had chrome on the lower portion of the fork legs.

The plastic head badge first appeared in 1975, the shift levers moved from the down tube to the stem in 1977. The down tube decals changed in 1979 to a style other than on your bike. Here's an AO8 from the 1978 catalog:

Here's a great web site that will most likely help you ID your bike: https://retropeugeot.com/

Hope this helped.

Gary
Old 09-09-10, 05:51 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
on the seat tube, there is a switch or lever that has been snapped off. i dont know what this is, maybe a gear shift apparatus of some sort. it's actually dangling on the chain and is a Simplex part. This "dangling switch" is actually the front derailleur that came off of it's post. Look at the catalog page I posted above. Try placing it back on the horizontal post sticking out from the seat tube.

new wiring, brakes, tubes, tires I agree with new cables (wires), tubes and tires but I don't see anything wrong with the brakes. Just add some new brake shoes.

will probably nix the stem shifters Is there a problem with the stem shifters other than how they look or their placement?
Old 09-09-10, 05:57 PM
sky flyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
peugeot restore

oh boy! i was hoping it wouldnt be a "low end" model! yikes. luckily i didnt pay much for it.

Originally Posted by gbalke
on the seat tube, there is a switch or lever that has been snapped off. i dont know what this is, maybe a gear shift apparatus of some sort. it's actually dangling on the chain and is a Simplex part. This "dangling switch" is actually the front derailleur that came off of it's post. Look at the catalog page I posted above. Try placing it back on the horizontal post sticking out from the seat tube.

no it's like truly snapped off! the metal is broken and the piece is bent and now wrapped around chain. i suppose i will just hhave to find a new front derailleur.

new wiring, brakes, tubes, tires I agree with new cables (wires), tubes and tires but I don't see anything wrong with the brakes. Just add some new brake shoes.

thx, i meant shoes!

will probably nix the stem shifters Is there a problem with the stem shifters other than how they look or their placement?
oh idk if there is a problem with the stem shifters, i actually have always thought they were pretty cool. but i may trend towards simplicity with this one. is there a true benefit of having them on a bike such as this, 35 years later that's going to be a city cruiser/commuter? other than keeping it real?

thanks so much. i will have better pics up soon, i was in a hurry today.
Old 09-09-10, 06:00 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
I designed and published MY "TEN SPEEDS" with people like you in mind. If you are just getting into the restoration of vintage bikes, you will find lots of information there to get you going and help save money and frustration at the same time.

Hope this is a help.
Old 09-09-10, 06:15 PM
conncarr

Bikes: Fuji CCR 2 (2009),Peugeot, Mercian, Boardman Pro FS (2009), Coyote Ultralite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chombi
First, judging from the pics, it's definitely not a PX10. Components and tubing pretty much eliminates that possibility.
It's still a solid and most likely nice riding bike though, as many Peugeots from that era was. So don't start looking for really expensive components for it. An upright commuter would be an ideal dieection to go with this frame as you were thinking. Old French bikes seem to always look best with old French components, so if you might be thinking of coming up with something a bit special, that may be the way to go. Keep and eye out for Stronglight, TA, Soubitez, Rigida, Ideale, Hutchinson, Sedis, Atom, Maillard, Simplex, Nevar, Huret, Lyotard, Zefal parts and accessories and it will keep the classic French theme going on the bike. Unfortunately almost all of these French brands are now defunct/gone, so you will not find most of these in any bike shop. But it will be an exciting hunt in the internet to find these French parts, plus a lot of them are still affordable despite their increasing rarity. Yes, it will be much easier to go with new Japanese stuff, but it's just not the same in the end.
Good luck and enjoy your Peugeot project!

Chombi
Bravo, love this reply
Likes For conncarr:
Old 10-15-19, 12:04 PM
rmfrance
rmfrance

Bikes: 1968 Peugeot PX10, 1974 Peugeot PX10, 1964 Peugeot PX10, 1977 Peugeot PSN10, 1975 Gitane Super Olympic, 1978 Gitane Vuelta, c1958 Gitane Competition(?), 1983 Mercier?, 1981 Peugeot PF10, 1985 Peugeot PH501 Ventoux, 1965 Moulton M4 Speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Actually, there were a few produced in satin black finish, but they were never big-sellers.

Originally Posted by Grand Bois

Likes For rmfrance:
Old 10-15-19, 03:21 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
OP, I can say from experience that @randyjawa website is excellent and has lots of French bike specific content, also as someone starting out I would recommend looking up Sheldon Brown on the web, he has a number of pertinent articles on French bikes and looking at RJ the bike guy on You Tube for a variety of how to videos for old bikes.

Take it slow, have fun, find the nearest bike co-op to you for parts, tools and advice, take lots of pictures before during and after your bike disassembly to help remember how things fit, I find rebuilding one piece at a time, i.e disassemble one brake, leave the other intact so you have a template when you want to put the first one back together.

For inspiration I would recommend finding the Show us your French bike thread on this forum.

Allez Allez!

A Peugeot Course (UO-10) I restored

Old 10-15-19, 03:51 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Low end doesn't mean bad. These bikes are roadworthy. They ride nice, have longer wheelbases than most modern bikes, a little slacker geometry and a fork that will absorb some road shocks. I am looking for one myself.

For starter, fix up what you have. These can be updated and personalized in all sorts of good ways. They have room for larger tires and fenders for instance.

Try riding it a bunch before planing on updates. Fix what is not working right so you can enjoy the ride. If you have problems with the cottered crank and don't want to take it on yourself, a bike shop can help. They are workable as far as I'm concerned, however, you will see lots of different opinions here on them.

The rims are steel if they are still original. They work, but stopping, especially in rain can be challenging. They are also heavier than modern aluminium. At some point, you may want to plan on better rims.

If you decide that this bike is not for you, you could always sell it or pass it on. Many of us here appreciate these low end Peugeots.
Old 10-15-19, 04:07 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfrance
Actually, there were a few produced in satin black finish, but they were never big-sellers.
I worked in a Peugeot shop and my buddy had (and still has) a black one. It was a fine looking bike
Old 10-15-19, 09:57 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Not true. My old one.
Old 10-17-19, 01:52 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)