Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Lug Designs

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Lug Designs

Old 10-15-19, 06:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
fusion is free for hobbyists. I think you have to get a new license every year. It had been the full version, but too many companies were cheating, so they are limiting it in ways that probably don't matter. The full version is free for startups under $100k, but requires an interview.

https://productdesignonline.com/tips...pcKZsX_DWDPndM

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-15-19 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-19-20, 07:22 PM
GiovanniLiCalsi
Cobalto

Bikes: Colnago, Marinoni, Columbine, Schwinn Paramount, Raleigh International, Raleigh Professional, 1893 Crescent Juno, 1896 Crescent No.1, 1899 Crescent No.18, 1896 Columbia 40, 1902 Pierce Special, 1903 Pierce Special, 1905 Pierce Special Racer,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
3-D Lugs

You can CAD design lugs, then have the lost wax investment models made, slightly larger, to allow for cast metal shrinkage. The model can be printed in plastic or a hard machining wax.
The best metal for lugs are 304 stainless steel. The lugs will need to be cast in a vacuum induction casting machine, at high temperature. Using stainless steel lugs is much better than chrome plated lugs, because the plating process causes hydrogen to seep deeply inside the steel. SS can be polished to a high luster and will not corrode.

Here is a Columbine frame with SS lugs.
Old 11-19-20, 10:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Are you speaking from experience? Those Columbine bikes are amazing, but it's all hand cut from lugs that anyone could have gotten at the time
Old 11-22-20, 06:40 PM
GiovanniLiCalsi
Cobalto

Bikes: Colnago, Marinoni, Columbine, Schwinn Paramount, Raleigh International, Raleigh Professional, 1893 Crescent Juno, 1896 Crescent No.1, 1899 Crescent No.18, 1896 Columbia 40, 1902 Pierce Special, 1903 Pierce Special, 1905 Pierce Special Racer,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Are you speaking from experience? Those Columbine bikes are amazing, but it's all hand cut from lugs that anyone could have gotten at the time
Yes, from experience. I do lost wax investment casting. I, also, know the owner of Columbine Cycle Works. Those Columbine stainless steel frame lugs were lost wax investment cast.
Old 11-22-20, 07:07 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 653 Posts
While it is always dangerous for me to be absolutely certain of anything, I believe Columbine carved his design from standard stainless Henry James lugs. At some bike show years ago Hank and Monica invited me to eat with them and John after the show and we discussed how he used their lugs to make his frames. I am not positive of what exact methods he used but it looks like to me he made thin cuts into the lug with a jeweler's saw and then bent the slivers away to make the curly cues.
Old 11-22-20, 07:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It makes sense that some of the ornamentation on a Columbine is investment cast though, it's just a tremendous amount of work otherwise.