Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lotus Super Pro Aero ~ Rare Find

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lotus Super Pro Aero ~ Rare Find

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 11:50 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder
The 1984 Aero Super Pro from my book "Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan". This one is all original. Good section on Lotus in the book as well.

Cheers,

Scott

Did AX levers ever have brown hoods?
Old 10-19-19, 01:03 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Oh man but did you get a fantastic deal!

I have a MIELE COlumbus SL frameset that I had modified so that I could use my Dura Ace AX groupset on it.
I was riding in Toronto Canada when I discovered the right crankarm was a bit loose and the chainwheel was very close to the chainstay. I took it into a shop to get them to a, tighten it or b, adjust the bottom bracket to move the crankarm out a bit. Turned out the mechanic was a hammer mechanic. Here's an image of the bike. Look at the chainstay near the crank arm.

I'm hoping to get a true aero frame from this time period to put my AX stuff on.

Again, WOW! you got a fantastic deal there.

Cheers
Old 10-19-19, 03:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

I have a MIELE COlumbus SL frameset that I had modified so that I could use my Dura Ace AX groupset on it.
I was riding in Toronto Canada when I discovered the right crankarm was a bit loose and the chainwheel was very close to the chainstay. I took it into a shop to get them to a, tighten it or b, adjust the bottom bracket to move the crankarm out a bit. Turned out the mechanic was a hammer mechanic. Here's an image of the bike. Look at the chainstay near the crank arm.

I'm hoping to get a true aero frame from this time period to put my AX stuff on.

Again, WOW! you got a fantastic deal there.

Cheers
That shop would be paying for a spendy trip to Marinoni's if it were me.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-19-19, 04:51 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Here you go.

(Actually, a neighbor had one of these on CL last year for $7.00.)

BTW, did they really think it was more "aero" not to center the crank arm between the spider arms? Just looks.... Idunno.... off to me. It's distinctive, I'll hand 'em that.
Old 10-19-19, 06:11 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts

I hope the local church chipped in for the mechanic's funeral. Closed casket at the wake, I presume?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 10-19-19, 07:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Here you go.

(Actually, a neighbor had one of these on CL last year for $7.00.)

BTW, did they really think it was more "aero" not to center the crank arm between the spider arms? Just looks.... Idunno.... off to me. It's distinctive, I'll hand 'em that.
Love the "steamlined" dropouts they employed with this, slices right through.
Old 10-19-19, 08:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
There's a method to this madness: When the crank is displayed with the arms parallel with the ground, the star shape created by the five spider arms point straight up:

And yes, it still looks wrong. I think they got the message too.

-Kurt

Old 10-20-19, 06:32 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Did AX levers ever have brown hoods?
Yes.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 10-21-19, 11:32 AM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
We've all said it in the past, "no more bikes!" Yet we all know how addictive this hobby is and how easy it is to be bitten--- again, and again, and again!

It happened to me last night when I went to NH-CL in search of something not bike related. However, my bookmark is for the "Bikes for Sale" page. Right at the top, just posted in the past 1/2 hour or so was the listing for a 60cm Lotus Super Pro Aero. That's my size so I clicked on the listing. The description was very brief and there were only two pictures, the full bike and a closeup of the drive side crank arm. Not much to go on.

So I did a bit of searching and quickly read this was a rare bike on the Vintage Lotus website. They came equipped with Shimano Dura Ace AX components and were fillet brazed Tange Aero tubing. I felt it was worth pursuing especially for the $250 listed price. A few emails later I had a time scheduled to see it this afternoon and it came home.

It is pictured as found with absolutely no cleaning, dusting nor polish. The shoes (my size) were included as well as the Cannondale tubular sock with spare Clement tubular, inner tube, unusual tire irons and spare change (dated in the late '60s to 1984). It is a beauty, yet does not match up with the specs completely.

The Turbo saddle, the rims (rear was replaced in the past 10-15 years ago) crankset, pedals and bars are not what is described in the specs listed on the Lotus site. But I believe I know the reason why.

The original owner, who sold it to me, was a professional racer (he was on the 1984 US Olympic Cycle Team, competed in the Giro, and was sponsored by Lotus and Shimano), and could probably have ordered what he wanted. He told me he won two races on this bike, including the Pine State (NC) Triathlon. He also told me he placed third in the Hawaii Ironman one year.

The owner is in his 70s and his wife is battling cancer. He was quite emotional about selling his "favorite bike" and I didn't want to press him for details such as dates, etc. He promised to share more with me later, and I'll pass this along.

However, the hubs, stem, headset, seatpost, derailleurs, shifters (friction), brake calipers and levers (wrong replacement hoods) are all Dura Ace AX! And for the most part appear to be in good to great shape.

I'm guessing at this point it is a 1983 because the rear hub is DA-AX UG 7 speed cassette. Comments, insights and other thoughts appreciated.
What a find...beautiful in every respect! Congrats Pastor Bob
....Julius in Ohio
Old 10-22-19, 05:49 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Nice find ,Pastor Bob! The back story on a vintage racer always makes it special. My Windsor Pro was originally raced heavily in San Luis Obispo , California. The original owner , now late in years, went into Wally’s Bikes and told one of the mechanics that he was dying and had no one to pass the bike along to. The mechanic purchased the bike and rode it in the first Eroica California and quickly realized that a 63 cm frame was not going to work for him. I bought it and rode it the following year. From the first ride I knew this was a special bike and I know it has to do with the history and part of that person who raced it is still there. I feel it every time I put my feet in the straps and ride it. I hope you have that experience with your new find. Joe
Old 10-22-19, 07:11 AM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
love the story

Love the story!

Julius in Ohio
Old 10-22-19, 12:28 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Thank you @julius rensch and @Kabuki12. I appreciate your kind words and I will pass them along to the original owner when I see him again in December.

I didn't have the chance to ride the bike yet. I was recovering from a bad cold last week and didn't want to chance a relapse. It might have to wait until next spring. It will give me a chance to do a complete cleaning, polishing and overhaul over the winter.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-24-19, 06:46 PM
cfernandez 

Bikes: Currently: '07 Lemond Buenos Aires, '01 Lemond Zurich, '85 Schwinn Peloton, '99 Schwinn Moab 1, '01 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 1, '87 Bottecchia Team SLX

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
"The original owner, who sold it to me, was a professional racer (he was on the 1984 US Olympic Cycle Team, competed in the Giro, and was sponsored by Lotus and Shimano), and could probably have ordered what he wanted. He told me he won two races on this bike, including the Pine State (NC) Triathlon. He also told me he placed third in the Hawaii Ironman one year."

Was wondering if you could share the name of the original owner, as I was 13 during the 1984 Olympics and it was this time period of my youth that got me started on my lifelong love for bicycles. If you cannot share the name, I understand . . . That Lotus is very nice, I had a chance to purchase a Lotus (not your model) when I lived in Chicago, but I think the back story is even more interesting to me.

Cheers
Old 10-25-19, 06:08 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by cfernandez
"The original owner, who sold it to me, was a professional racer (he was on the 1984 US Olympic Cycle Team, competed in the Giro, and was sponsored by Lotus and Shimano), and could probably have ordered what he wanted. He told me he won two races on this bike, including the Pine State (NC) Triathlon. He also told me he placed third in the Hawaii Ironman one year."

Was wondering if you could share the name of the original owner, as I was 13 during the 1984 Olympics and it was this time period of my youth that got me started on my lifelong love for bicycles. If you cannot share the name, I understand . . . That Lotus is very nice, I had a chance to purchase a Lotus (not your model) when I lived in Chicago, but I think the back story is even more interesting to me.

Cheers
So far he has been hesitant to share his full name. I'm not certain why, but my guess is that he's just too emotional about his wife's cancer, his pending move, and selling his most beloved bike. I have been in touch with him and he has invited me over in December (after unpacking). He found extra UG cassettes and chainrings for the bike that he wants to pass on. He did promise that he'd share more about his career at that time.

I do hope this will become an ongoing relationship and that I can compile his story. I shared a little about him with BF member BluesDaddy who works for NH's one commercial television station (yes we only have ABC and PBS ). He hopes to do a NH Chronicle story on him next spring or summer.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-25-19, 08:20 AM
kohl57

Bikes: https://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/album/550107

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
I absolutely love my Lotus Super Pro! And having and riding 25 different bikes, makes one appreciate each one even more as it can be months before you get through them one by one. Pick up one of these things and your first instinct, "God, what a boat anchor" but ride it for a mile or two, and you are in love. Even in a large frame size like mine (and so many of these seem to be big sizes), it's remarkably stiff and resilient with astonishingly good pick up.... the beefy chainstays and the superb engineering of the AX crankset help achieve that. Indeed, the components are simply top notch in aesthetics and operation. Even the much maligned brakes.

The hardest thing for me when getting what as a complete machine was finding the correct early Araya aero rims in polished alloy. These pre-dated almost all of the other aero components and came out in 1979 along with the first aero bladed spokes. Now, they are a bit spongy and I think that's what prompted the hardened anodized versions being quickly introduced... but the Super Pros need the original polished alloy ones.

A commercial and peloton flop but a superb bit of engineering and a marvelous ride!

I included some details on the design and introduction of the Lotus Super Pro in my album of pix of my machine:

ipernity: 1981 Lotus (Tsunoda) Super Pro Aero by Peter Kohler

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Last edited by kohl57; 10-25-19 at 08:28 AM.
Likes For kohl57:
Old 10-25-19, 04:11 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I did go with the anodized, for the reason you state.
Originally Posted by kohl57
I absolutely love my Lotus Super Pro! And having and riding 25 different bikes, makes one appreciate each one even more as it can be months before you get through them one by one. Pick up one of these things and your first instinct, "God, what a boat anchor" but ride it for a mile or two, and you are in love. Even in a large frame size like mine (and so many of these seem to be big sizes), it's remarkably stiff and resilient with astonishingly good pick up.... the beefy chainstays and the superb engineering of the AX crankset help achieve that. Indeed, the components are simply top notch in aesthetics and operation. Even the much maligned brakes.

The hardest thing for me when getting what as a complete machine was finding the correct early Araya aero rims in polished alloy. These pre-dated almost all of the other aero components and came out in 1979 along with the first aero bladed spokes. Now, they are a bit spongy and I think that's what prompted the hardened anodized versions being quickly introduced... but the Super Pros need the original polished alloy ones.

A commercial and peloton flop but a superb bit of engineering and a marvelous ride!

I included some details on the design and introduction of the Lotus Super Pro in my album of pix of my machine:

ipernity: 1981 Lotus (Tsunoda) Super Pro Aero by Peter Kohler

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Old 10-26-19, 06:05 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

@kohl57 thank you for sharing your Lotus Super Pro. It is a beauty and so original. I really appreciate your "write up" which accompanies your photo album. I see from your pictures that our serial numbers are rather close (your SN=MM04212 and my SN=MM04230). In any of your research have you found a way to decipher the SNs? Also, did you ever find a list of Shimano sponsored racers?

I look forward to hearing more from you and any insights you might offer.

I do plan to ride mine. I want to at least sort out the mismatched tubular and clincher wheels, and possibly the crankset and pedals (I made an offer on a DA-AX set this week but it was rejected).

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-28-19, 03:45 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
AX to standard pedal adapters

Go on ebay, some guy in Poland sells the the insert/adapters NOS.
Absolutely fantastic find.

Last edited by Johno59; 10-28-19 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-28-19, 05:06 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by Johno59
Go on ebay, some guy in Poland sells the the insert/adapters NOS.
Absolutely fantastic find.
Thank you for this tip. I've seen those and appreciate your confidence for the seller.

Last night I started on the process of removing the brake levers and their mismatched and incorrect DiaCompe/Weinmann hoods. I'll be on vacation the month of November and need something to do at night. I'm taking my leather working kit and plan to make custom hoods which should look better and be an improvement over the current installation.

I'm watching a NIP pair of hoods on ebay, but at the current bid of $51 with 6 days to go, they are a bit pricey for my tastes.

Old 10-28-19, 08:22 AM
kohl57

Bikes: https://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/album/550107

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
[QUOTE=pastorbobnlnh;21180779]@kohl57 thank you for sharing your Lotus Super Pro. It is a beauty and so original. I really appreciate your "write up" which accompanies your photo album. I see from your pictures that our serial numbers are rather close (your SN=MM04212 and my SN=MM04230). In any of your research have you found a way to decipher the SNs? Also, did you ever find a list of Shimano sponsored racers?

Not sure how the serial numbers with Lotus worked. Dating these is made so much easier by the gratifyingly precise and comprehensive (and ever so Japanese!) mania Shimano had in date coding almost everything they made. Most of what's on my machine is early 1981 so among the first of the Dura-Ace AX made and in advance of the frame. It's telling what a commercial flop this all was given the astonishing amount of NOS AX stuff is still out there on eBay... everything, alas, except the very rare aqua blue brake hoods!

I wish someone would research when Shimano first cracked the professional peloton with sponsorship. To my knowledge, the use of these aero machines was very limited other than the famous examples of the Gitane ones by Hinault and also Cilo using the aero version of the Vitus 979s (using some Shimano AX kit, too). The peloton is notoriously conservative and seemed to have passed by the Japanese aero machines and most of their components.

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA
Old 10-28-19, 08:52 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
PastorBob, I may have a NOS pair of Aero 2 rims in silver (tubular). No eyelets. Will look them over later- not positive if anodized.

Edit: Looking them over, appear polished type, 36 hole, and weigh 440 gm (without special eyelets) , far more than advertised. Have the anodized Aero 4 (ADX4) on another build and recall were close to 340gm - sans eyelets.

Last edited by crank_addict; 10-28-19 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 11:28 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Ax tt

The front mech has a spring on it that is by far the most difficult to compress I have had to wrestle with. Funnily enough the Delta front mech is also a pain. The pedal bearing/axle setup is really weird.

Like the Delta the AX brakes aren't so good for stopping. But it's a TT groupset so who needs brakes.

The rear mech changes fine. It seems strong enough despite the strange looped cable guide.
Old 10-28-19, 12:00 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Johno59

The front mech has a spring on it that is by far the most difficult to compress I have had to wrestle with. Funnily enough the Delta front mech is also a pain. The pedal bearing/axle setup is really weird.

Like the Delta the AX brakes aren't so good for stopping. But it's a TT groupset so who needs brakes.

The rear mech changes fine. It seems strong enough despite the strange looped cable guide.
Not sure if you've used both, but Deltas, tuned in, work extremely well. They really aren't comparable to AX, other than looking a bit odd.
Old 10-28-19, 12:27 PM
Johno59

In the rain

This is my Delta bike. It's a 1983 Holdsworth made of Reynolds 531 instead of 853 that my AX has to stop. In the rain I find both poor at stopping. However I am very fat now so perhaps I protest too much.

Old 10-28-19, 10:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When I got my Dura Ace AX aero frameset Velo Sport bicycle from Bloor Cycle in Toronto Canada I lifted the rear wheel quite a bit when I hit the front brake a bit too hard. I've never had problems with my Dura Ace AX brakes not stopping the bicycle IF the brakes are set up properly.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.