Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Calling out ebay sellers

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Calling out ebay sellers

Old 10-06-19, 05:02 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I once did a blog post about horrible pictures on CL, do you folks really want to sell the item? I titled this one " bike parked at camp fire, seller snapped picture as they ran by it" and yes that really is the photo that was on the CL ad...Cheryl I can't believe that bike ain't selling

I too notice errors on postings, mostly I just keep on moving, I was happy someone pointed out an issue with an item I had posted on ebay once and I avoided selling something that had an issue I had missed and I was grateful they helped me in avoiding unintentionally sending out a item that I shouldn't have.

Last edited by ryansu; 10-06-19 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 03:40 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
I used to drop people lines about incorrect stuff, not trying to be a dick- just attempting to be helpful- but the amount of hostile replies just has me going on to the next one.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-08-19, 03:54 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbikeChris
This is the exact reason why I submit my questions to this site when I am considering a purchase. Personally I don't have the knowledge so I consult the group. Cant always believe what people say.
Yeah, I mean, I got bitten with this one recently. I've had a rather obscure European-manufactured SLX frame. I purchased it off eBay but totally overlooked (what, in hindsight, is) such a basic and obvious detail. Well, fast forward to this month, I saw an interesting frame for trade here on BF and shot the BF'er a message with a basic pic.

Within minutes, got a reply back to inquire about a detail missing on the fork. Sure enough, they were right, fork isn't original and I totally overlooked it. Seller made no claims about the originality of it, but man ... I was really kicking myself and pretty damn embarassed I missed it!

I know there are some of you who love to seek out lesser-known builders and brands from various outlets, just like I do. This is just a friendly reminder that sometimes it's worthwhile to consult with a fellow BF'er before purchase. Another pair of eyes (or dozens) can be very worthwhile to avoid embarrassing mistakes

I'll still probably make my money back off that purchase, but still ... kicking myself.
Old 10-08-19, 04:43 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Always hard not to have (insert favorite, rare,obscure marque/builder here) colored glasses when we "find" what we think we have found.

I always plan to be disappointed by something unseen, undisclosed, unknown by self or seller and balance with price, want and fate, it usually works out.

I know when I pay too much and try to factor that into the outcome, sometimes you just think you have to have it.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-19-19, 10:42 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Sending information with a revised item description to sellers (in my case Eddy Merckx bike/frame) is my favorite activity in my free time. This applies not only to ebay, but also to bicycle shops and local auction sites. About 20% of retailers improve their descriptions, the others don't even try to... As a result, about half of the EMC frames/bikes are offered with a false description, and the retailers know about it.... Sometimes very reputable vendors....

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Old 10-19-19, 11:43 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
LOL, I actually posted about the Lemond frame a few days ago. I have one of those and the seller is so off on that one.
Old 10-19-19, 01:05 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I see a lot of Ebay and Kijiji ads that claim FIORI or MIELE bicycles are Italian bicycles. I've told a few such sellers that their ads were wrong and should be corrected. Most are NOT happy to hear that.

Cheers
Old 10-19-19, 01:08 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Doing the right thing is always the right thing to do if done in an attempt to help others (so much more to that but you get the idea). If a seller's price is way out of line, that is none of my business and I keep my mouth shut. Sellers can ask what ever they want. However...

Sometimes, I do see an error on a listing and, given some thought at the time, I might offer a bit of, hopefully, useful advice. Sometimes, I am thanked and sometimes I get gunned off by someone who can only be considered to be a donkey's butt (what's another name for a donkey and then think hole). But those donkey butt guys and gals are truly important to the rest of the people on the planet. Why..?

Because those donkey butts make the rest of us feel good about ourselves!-) That is not to say that I have not had my own, personally generated, donkey butt moments.
Old 10-19-19, 02:06 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

I have been messaging the guy with the Lemond. He seems legit and interested in having the right info. Even asked if the price was right. What's interesting is the original fork has a Excell GL decal on it yet is clearly stamped GLx on the steerer.
Old 10-19-19, 04:20 PM
jamesdak 

Seller responded again on that Lemond in question. Said he bought it directly from Greg's dad. Supposed to be an actual team bike.

I do wonder about these. Mine looks the exact same but what's always been odd about it is that it's not the classic Lemond geometry like my other 7 Lemond bikes. It's more square as is made to a team rider's specs or something. Purely speculation on my part. Any, just sharing what the seller told me.
Old 10-19-19, 08:27 PM
abellanti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Seller responded again on that Lemond in question. Said he bought it directly from Greg's dad. Supposed to be an actual team bike.

I do wonder about these. Mine looks the exact same but what's always been odd about it is that it's not the classic Lemond geometry like my other 7 Lemond bikes. It's more square as is made to a team rider's specs or something. Purely speculation on my part. Any, just sharing what the seller told me.
interesting...if there werent so many mistakes in his listing, I might be plausible. I would need more proof . I have the same GLX with the number tab, its a 54ct by 54cc.
Old 10-19-19, 08:34 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I told a guy once that I wasn't interested in buying his Raleigh Record but it was an entry level model based on the steel rims, high tensile steel, etc and that it was probably worth closer to 100 to 200 cad, not the $1000 he was asking for.

He told me a month later to poop on someone elses dreams and some other things about my dear mother.
Old 10-19-19, 09:18 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by abellanti
interesting...if there werent so many mistakes in his listing, I might be plausible. I would need more proof . I have the same GLX with the number tab, its a 54ct by 54cc.
Nice, funny thing is these are good bikes perfectly capable of standing on their own merits. No need to embellish.

Here's mine. Mine does have the rear brake bridge backwards from every other Billato built bike I have or have seen. QA issue or...?

Old 10-19-19, 10:07 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Uh, you do know that is still +1?

well if 1 x 5 = 5
and 1 x 10 = 10
then 1 x 10 to the 7th = 1 x 10,000,000 = 10,000,000

Sorry. It’s the math teacher in me.
Old 10-19-19, 10:19 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
In the real world, sure. Call b.s. face to face.

Ebay is not always the real world. Sellers may not give a single Frank what's right.
Old 10-19-19, 10:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Essthreetee
well if 1 x 5 = 5
and 1 x 10 = 10
then 1 x 10 to the 7th = 1 x 10,000,000 = 10,000,000

Sorry. It’s the math teacher in me.
Yeah, but it’s still one Robbietunes

;-)
Old 10-19-19, 11:03 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Yeah, but it’s still one Robbietunes

;-)
Hahahaha
Old 10-20-19, 01:49 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
When I see something really wrong on ebay, and I want a bit of online entertainment, I ask the seller questions about details not in the pictures. Then tell them what their answer means, and how it effects the price.
According to some of them, my mother has led an interesting if less than pious life, and I can achieve highly improbable body positions.
Strangely enough, I've had the same response from a few sellers where I thought the price should go up. I think Mark Twain had it right on the difference between men and dogs.
Old 10-20-19, 02:22 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
I've sold a bunch of stuff on ebay and if I'm not 100% sure of something I will state that fact in my description and ask (in my description) for input from anyone with better knowledge. Then I will revise it accordingly. What gets me, is people who try to "low-ball" me. I can't count the number of times someone offered me half of my asking price saying that was all it was worth. And then I get my asking price two days later.
Old 10-20-19, 02:38 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I can't count the number of times someone offered me half of my asking price saying that was all it was worth. And then I get my asking price two days later.
I get this on CL regularly. There's one person in particular in the ATL area who appears to have keyword alerts setup for "Reynolds" specifically. Any time I use "Reynolds" in my ads whether because it's a Reynolds frame or the tubing is comparable and I namedrop to say that, they inevitably send me a message within 24 hours of listing to tell me the item is garbage and/or way overpriced. I get more messages about the value/price within 24 hours of every 'renew' bump on the ad, either the person is a complete idiot or they just don't know there's some information on their messaging which uniquely identifies them so I can clearly tell it's the same guy.

And - of course - I never fail to sell the bike within 10-15% of my ask price. Sometimes it takes a few weeks, but I always manage to get roughly the sale price I'm aiming for.
Old 10-20-19, 04:07 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3862 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
For me, ebay and craigs are the greatest bike shops that ever existed ever anywhere in this or any alternate universes.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-21-19, 02:05 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Craigslist translation guide:

Peddles = pedals
Helmut = helmet
Breaks = brakes
Rims = wheels
Tires = wheels

Needs repair = was police evidence in a vehicular homicide hit ‘n run

Gears need tuning = entire drivetrain is worn out and will cost more to replace than an entire new bike

Tuned = chain was lubed with some old motor oil left at the recycling depot

Some rust = bike was fished out of the creek during community trash clean-up day

Will meet at <Insert local public transit hub here> = stolen

Leave your phone number = stolen

Will meet you = stolen

Quick sale = stolen

Western Union = Nigerian scam
Old 10-21-19, 02:12 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Some more:

Needs some TLC = A mechanics nightmare of corrosion, stripped bolts and cheap components.

Vintage = A 1992 department-store mountain bike that was fished out of the recycling depot.

Road bike = A 45-pound full-suspension downhill rig kitted out with slick tires.
Old 10-24-19, 12:12 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by abellanti
Today I noticed two ebay listings that are factually incorrect...by a lot. Sometimes I feel like messaging the seller to educate them...but I rarely do. One listing was for a 93 Lemond GAN GLX replica team bike with the number tag. The seller claims it was one of the Lemond back up team bikes in the 90 Tour De France...WTF...where did they get that info. Starting bid $999. The other was a Masi 3V the seller claims is a former Masi Gran Criterium team bike...what?? all for $2,000. I know, I do see this all the time but it still drives me crazy. Hey ebay sellers, even if you dont know the difference between a stem and handlebar...dont make **** up. Just say you dont have a clue....or spend an hour doing a little research! Rant over
This is the norm - more funny are the reverse situations: still for 36 hours on evilbay will be offered "Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX 7-Eleven Dura Ace etc". (dudes from the Netherlands sell it - I don't know them, no connections). The bike looks average, it is repainted (on average again, but in cool colours), but it has an incomplete description. I sent the seller a full description - no reaction (it's also a norm). The frame was built for the Panasonic team for the 1986 season for a fairly famous guy (Eric Vanderaerden) - he might have used it to visit France in July '86 with a green T-shirt.... The seller probably considered it to be an unimportant trifle, which will not interest the buyers and will not affect the value of the frame.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator