Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with Campy road brake pad removal

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-01-06, 03:57 PM
sbornia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy -

Minor trouble - road brake pads stuck in their holders...

I STFA and haven't found any good answers, so here goes. What's the best way to remove worn road brake pads (Campy, in my case) from their holders? I did it once before, but for the life of me can't get the damn things out this time. I've tried pushing from the closed end, and pulling with a needlenose from the open end. No go.

(In case there's confusion over which part I mean, I'm just trying to slide out the rubber brake pad, not unbolt the cartridge/holder from the caliper.)

Thanks,
Steven
Old 07-05-06, 04:51 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great question, and exactly the type of thing that I am trying to figure out. Anyone have an answer?

Is there a good book that details this type of information so that I can handle this myself?
Old 07-05-06, 05:10 PM
OLDYELLR
My bikes became Vintage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you're trying to remove this type of pad:

I would cut the remaining pad off flush with the holder, then stick a small screwdriver behind the remainder from the open end and pop it out. It should flex enough to come loose when the rest of the pad isn't there to stiffen it.
Old 07-05-06, 06:22 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 campy chorus pads
Old 07-05-06, 07:13 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
You need to unscrew the small screw holding the pad to the holder.
Old 07-05-06, 09:11 PM
poopncow
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
You need to unscrew the small screw holding the pad to the holder.
++

also try using the edge of a table as a stop to push against.
Old 07-05-06, 09:33 PM
spinbackle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I replaced some Campy (Chorus) pads recently with some Kool Stop Ceramic pads and it was a beeaatch! Used the long end of a hex wrench (not the kind w/a handle) to push the campy pad out far enough that I could then grab it with a vise grip wrench and then pulled it out. This is not an easy task and probably best done with the aide of some alcohol...beer comes to mind. I also lubricated the holder/pad combo with a little rubbing alcohol (it seemed to help a little). The Kool Stop pads were just as tough to get in as the Campy pads were to remove. I only replaced the front pads because of a new ceramic OP wheel build. There was no retaining screw noted...my brakes are '03 or newer. Good luck.
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built
Old 07-06-06, 12:26 PM
poopncow
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinbackle
was no retaining screw noted...my brakes are '03 or newer. Good luck.
Record differentials and no retaining screws either
Old 06-18-07, 02:46 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
So other than beer and large amounts of profanity, what IS the preferred technique for getting these pads out? I'm in a similar situation here myself.

Here's to the 11-month bump.
Old 06-18-07, 02:55 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
So other than beer and large amounts of profanity, what IS the preferred technique for getting these pads out? I'm in a similar situation here myself.

Here's to the 11-month bump.
I could've sworn I answered this thread way less than 11 months ago. Seriously. Bikeforum glitches yaaaaa
Old 06-18-07, 04:52 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 193 Posts
Put them on backwards and go for a ride?
Old 06-18-07, 04:59 PM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is what I did when I was replacing my 2007 chorus pads with kool stops

First, forget about slideing them out. If you have access to a vise, put the rubber in the vise end to end and close the vise until the rubber deforms enough to put a screw driver in the gap between the rubber and the holder. Then use the screw driver to pry them apart. They pop right off.

When you put the kool stops in they slide in easily if you lube them with water.
Old 06-18-07, 05:16 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the edge of a table and push out the pad.

Theres also this

Old 06-18-07, 05:57 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I always sprayed the pad liberally with Fantastic, 409 or similar - very slippery and won't harm rubber if reusing the item. Then clamp the pad in a vise and use a flat punch to knock the shoe holder off the pad. That works for most situations. In the worst case scenario I would take a dremel type tool and a cutoff disk, carefully cut down the middle of the pad lenthwise and then you should be able to remove the two sections (just made that one up, but should work). Use the 409 to insert the new pad with the least effort.
Old 06-19-07, 12:12 AM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Pretty sure I just used a screwdriver and pried them out when I put the Kool Stops in. Yes it was a PITA but they came out eventually. I remember the first one being the worst until I got the hang of it and the rest were no so bad.
Old 06-19-07, 04:34 AM
greenmtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.campyonly.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=578
Old 05-13-09, 06:57 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old road
Put them on backwards and go for a ride?
I liked this answer the best!

Unfortunately I too have fallen victim to the dreaded Campy brake pad curse. It's almost enough to make one switch to the dreaded S-company (either one).

I was able to remove the first pad by pulling it out from the cartridge with a pair of needle nose pliers. Unfortunately the second one just crumbled away when I tried it. Ultimately I was able to get it out by cutting it down, and then using the tip of a small flat bladed screwdriver to pry it out.

Learn from my mistake - don't let your brake pads wear down too far!
Old 05-13-09, 07:34 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I managed this by banging the ends on the edge of a strong counter-top. Slowly, but surely, it got the idea and gave up.
Old 05-13-09, 08:07 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Reading this thread makes me glad I've never had to deal with Campy brakes. Shimano pads are changed by removing a small bolt and pulling the worn pad out with a pair of needle nose pliers. No great effort needed. Slip in new pads and replace the retaining bolt. Done.

Kool Stop's "Dura" pad holders and Nashbar's house brand pad holders (Tektros) are just as easy.
Old 05-14-09, 09:18 AM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
In recent years, I've been running Kool Stop salmon pads on all my brakes. When I bought the '09 Campy Centaur group to install on my '97 Pinarello, I thought I'd simply remove the Campy pads and install Campy-compatible Kool Stop refill pads in their place......NOT! Those Campy brake shoes, complete with the Campy pads, are sitting in my parts box. I couldn't get the darned pads out.

Confession: my (almost) all-Campy equipped Pinarello has Kool Stop Campy-compatible brake shoes (the metal holders and refill pads).

The Kool Stop refill pads, in the Kool stop holders, are very easy to remove and install.

Old 05-14-09, 09:35 AM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sprayed them with soapy water, put the holders in a padded vise, and tapped the pads out with a hammer and a block of wood. They we very tight!
Old 05-15-09, 08:58 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 193 Posts
I've had luck recently with inserting a flat blade screwdriver between pad and shoe at the open end and twisting. The bevel on the pad is so slight that it is easier to force the pad out perpendicular to the long dimension than it is to try to slide the pad out the same way it went in.
Old 05-15-09, 10:42 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I use Channel-Lock pliers for removal & installation. 1 jaw on the pad, the other jaw on the pad holder, then squeeze.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-29-19, 07:13 PM
mcpastor

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old road
I've had luck recently with inserting a flat blade screwdriver between pad and shoe at the open end and twisting. The bevel on the pad is so slight that it is easier to force the pad out perpendicular to the long dimension than it is to try to slide the pad out the same way it went in.
Thanks for the tip. This worked for me.

My vice, Dremel and other tools are in storage, but a trusty screw driver worked while watching Thomas De Ghent win the first stage of the Catalunya road race. Just a minute or so each on the first three pads. I pushed the screwdriver straight down the closed end and twisted. I found if the pads start to slide just a little you can then slip the tip under the pad and use the metal closed end as a fulcrum to pry the pad up. Once it starts it’s easier to keep going.

Unfortunately the last one would not budge and drew a little first blood. I tried using vice grips and the pad started pulling apart. The whole top separated a chunk at a time then I pushed the screwdriver up through one of the holes in the metal pad holder and started pushing the pad straight up and out of the prongs.

When installing the Kool Stop pads, I used just a little dawn dishwashing soap on the rubber edges and back that slide in the metal track. This was an old trick when installing the old foal bike grips on handlebars. They slid in fine.

Last edited by mcpastor; 03-29-19 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 07:01 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Last time I did it, I set the jaws of my bench vise just a bit wider than the pad. Then with the metal part stabilized by the jaws I was able to quickly tap out the pads with a mallet.