Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 04:11 AM
AVLThumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Nice Stealth Fighter look to your bike.

How wide are your handlebars?

I cut these down to 710mm (28in). The stock bars felt way too narrow for me. I'm used to riding with bars in the 740-780mm range on my mountain bikes. I'll be using this bike primarily for commuting and errands, so I wanted a length that offered more stability and control compared to narrow bars.
Old 10-10-16, 08:51 AM
n0thing

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Took it out for a spin this weekend to try out the new tires. It's amazing how much easier this bike is going up hills. I cut 45 seconds off of the hilly area segment of my normal ride and that was with me having to slow down to figure out why my bottle was leaking water all over my leg (it helps when you tighten down the cap apparently). I still have some fine tuning I need to do position wise on the bike but overall I'm pretty damn happy with this thing!
Likes For n0thing:
Old 10-10-16, 04:25 PM
AVLThumper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by n0thing

Took it out for a spin this weekend to try out the new tires. It's amazing how much easier this bike is going up hills. I cut 45 seconds off of the hilly area segment of my normal ride and that was with me having to slow down to figure out why my bottle was leaking water all over my leg (it helps when you tighten down the cap apparently). I still have some fine tuning I need to do position wise on the bike but overall I'm pretty damn happy with this thing!
Did you end up going with the GP4000s tires? I'd like to get rid of the stock tires as well. I've got 28c GP4000s on my road bike, and they are excellent. I'd like to stick with 30c-32c on this bike. I may wait until I get new wheels and set it up tubeless with either the Schwalbe Pro Ones or the Specialized Roubaix 2Bliss....choices, choices choices!
Old 10-10-16, 05:44 PM
n0thing

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AVLThumper
Did you end up going with the GP4000s tires? I'd like to get rid of the stock tires as well. I've got 28c GP4000s on my road bike, and they are excellent. I'd like to stick with 30c-32c on this bike. I may wait until I get new wheels and set it up tubeless with either the Schwalbe Pro Ones or the Specialized Roubaix 2Bliss....choices, choices choices!
I went with the Vittoria Open Pave EVO CG III in a strange 27mm size. Reviews made it sound great on roads and trails thanks to a softer sidewall and I agree. It's a substantially nicer riding tire. It rolls great too!
Old 10-11-16, 09:22 PM
tbkfan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Widest tire on a 2016 Sirrus Pro Carbon?

I'm thinking of putting Schwalbe Winter Marathon studded tires on my 2016 Sirrus Pro Carbon to handle the ice patches on our city pathways. I know that the lower end carbon models came with 700x30 tires and I remember at the time looking at them and thinking that a 35 would probably fit. My bike came with 26/28 on it so 35 will be quite a jump but the frames/forks are all the same so I'm hoping that 35 fits. Has anyone put 35's on a similar Carbon Sirrus?
Old 10-12-16, 12:09 PM
AVLThumper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tbkfan
I'm thinking of putting Schwalbe Winter Marathon studded tires on my 2016 Sirrus Pro Carbon to handle the ice patches on our city pathways. I know that the lower end carbon models came with 700x30 tires and I remember at the time looking at them and thinking that a 35 would probably fit. My bike came with 26/28 on it so 35 will be quite a jump but the frames/forks are all the same so I'm hoping that 35 fits. Has anyone put 35's on a similar Carbon Sirrus?

My 2017 Carbon came with 700x30 Specialized Espoir. I am also interested in knowing if a 35c would fit. My not so professional at home measurements lead me to believe it would work just fine. If you give it a try, please post up and let us know.
Old 10-16-16, 09:04 PM
tbkfan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Widest tire on a 2016 Sirrus Pro Carbon?

I went to my LBS and they happened to have a good selection of Schwalbe Marathon studded tires in stock so we grabbed a Sirrus Pro Carbon and tried some sizes. 35c definitely do not fit. Maybe some 35c tires would fit, but the Marathon has a bit of a knobbier tread. It definitely looks like there is enough width between the chainstays for a 35c but the issue is more the shape of the "yoke" area at the bottom bracket where the chainstays come together. The wheel also has to push forward towards the bottom bracket a bit before settling rearward into the dropouts.

We then tried a 32c and it also didn't want to go in. Again, any other 32c might have worked but the Marathon studded would not clear the bottom bracket. I imagine you could probably squeeze the 32c in if you deflated it before installing the wheel. But I think that's just asking for trouble down the road when you have to deal with flats/road side repairs. Also would likely not leave enough clearance for a bit of snow and ice build up.

So I ended up buying a 30c for the rear and a 32c for the front. In the Marathon studded tire, the 30c tire has a lot fewer studs. The 32c essentially adds another row of studs, so I figured it would be wise to have the wider tread and more studs on the front where washing out the front wheel on ice usually will have swifter and nastier consequences than a bit of skidding in the rear.

I have not mounted them on my bike yet, but I don't anticipate any issues getting the 32c to fit on the front even though we didn't specifically try it at the shop. On the front you don't have to worry about getting past the bottom bracket like you do on the rear so it should be an easy fit.
Old 10-18-16, 08:06 AM
AVLThumper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ended up ordering some new wheel supplies. I went with Stans Grail 24h/28h, Sapim Race, and BHS hubs (Bitex). I'll be using a set of Schwalbe G-One Speed 700x30 tires set up tubeless. I'll hopefully have these built up and ready to ride in the next few weeks. Probably wait until I have a weekend of bad weather...it's just too nice in the western NC this time of year to mess around with building wheels!
Old 11-04-16, 12:03 AM
qtran414

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fenders for 2016 Sirrus Elite Disc?

Been loving riding my new Sirrus elite disc for the past 2 months and want to keep the party going during the cruddy winter months here in Seattle. Can anyone recommend fenders for the stock 700x30 setup?

Anyone try the specialized plug and play ones? They look sleek but pricey.

Looking for coverage but love the clean look of my bright red Sirrus elite so want to have as sleek looking fenders as possible.
Old 11-04-16, 11:02 AM
Clamms

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qtran414
Been loving riding my new Sirrus elite disc for the past 2 months and want to keep the party going during the cruddy winter months here in Seattle. Can anyone recommend fenders for the stock 700x30 setup?

Looking for coverage but love the clean look of my bright red Sirrus elite so want to have as sleek looking fenders as possible.
I've got the plug and play fenders on my sirrus. They look and work great. They're matte black and blend right in with the tires. (My bike is matte black too). I think they were $50 and I had them installed when I bought the bike. Given what you already paid for the bike, I see no reason to buy anything else.
Old 11-05-16, 09:05 AM
TomWinKC

Bikes: '15 Spec Sirrus Carbon Pro; '14 Camber Expert Carbon EVO

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
[/IMG]
Originally Posted by qtran414

I considered the Specialized plug and plays, I think the install would likely be easier. They look great, but I was looking for more coverage and decided on the SKS Long Boards with mud flaps. I road a 52 mile day in the rain on the Katy Trail this fall and SKS really proved themselves.
Likes For TomWinKC:
Old 12-18-16, 04:28 PM
andcb

Bikes: Spesh Sirrus Pro, 2 x Scott and 1 X Giant mtb's

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's mine then........

Sirrus frame from 2007 / 8 era with a few changes....or a lot actually.

Not long to first ride now....just itching to go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20161204_101902_resized.jpg (105.5 KB, 728 views)
20161204_101917_resized.jpg (103.3 KB, 725 views)
20161204_101937_resized.jpg (105.8 KB, 720 views)
20161204_102015_resized (1).jpg (96.9 KB, 726 views)
20161204_102030_resized.jpg (102.3 KB, 722 views)
Likes For andcb:
Old 12-18-16, 04:32 PM
andcb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mr Forresterace

Fairly certain it's the same frame as Mr Forresterace's bike with all the touring bags on it.
Very impressed with that build.
Old 12-28-16, 08:16 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
anybody found 135mm wheel options?
Old 01-01-17, 06:35 PM
AVLThumper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by puma1552
anybody found 135mm wheel options?
I just built a set of 2016 Stans Grails with BHS hubs. Running them tubeless with Schwalbe One tires. Much nicer and lighter than stock.
Old 01-02-17, 10:51 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Here is my Sport Disc.

I switched to 700 X 38 tires

Old 01-06-17, 10:15 AM
sandiegoguy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Specialized Sirrus X1

I replaced a custom Look 695 top of the line road bike with a Sirrus X1 and couldn't be more happy. I made upgrades over the last year and literally changed every part except for the stem and the seat post. And it up investing over 6 K but the bikes exactly like I want it. I don't have any issues with back pain, I like the upright position and I get a ton of compliments on my bike. Pics to follow!

The Cannondale Quick and Trek FX have their own threads, but not the Sirrus. I've seen many a Sirrus post on here so why not have a central one. Post up your Sirrus, ask questions, talk about the future of the Sirrus line, etc.
A little over a month ago I purchased a Cannondale Quick 4. Since buying it I had constant issues related to the shifting of the bike and, frankly, I was regretting the purchase. I went for "the deal" over what I knew I wanted in a bike in terms of components. After two bike shops looking my Cannondale over and warranty replacements of parts now being brought up, I decided to bite the bullet and look at the bikes with components I knew I wanted.

Yesterday I came home with a 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp Disc. I felt it was a nice future proof bike (meaning I won't have anything major I feel I will have to upgrade) that had everything I wanted. It rides like a dream and I absolutely love the 2x10 gearing.

I had not considered Specialized in the past as the local chain that carries them never treated me all that well. I decided to give them another try this time and the customer service was absolutely fantastic. I feel bad that not buying from the shop I've been using for years, but this was the right bike for me and it's one they didn't carry so it is what it is.
Likes For sandiegoguy:
Old 01-06-17, 01:27 PM
andcb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone get this joke ?

Similarity ?
Attached Images
31189wall.jpg (45.7 KB, 661 views)
Old 01-06-17, 10:52 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
Here is my Sport Disc.

I switched to 700 X 38 tires

Sirrus is a great bike for the Razorback Greenway. I started out with a Sirrus Sport and used it for my square to square rides. Alas I have parted with it now, but its with a friend still plying the Greenway. Now building a gravel bike that will also fill the role of the Sirrus. Here's the thing, I still want a Sirrus... hahaha
Old 01-08-17, 11:14 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great thread, thanks for the contributions from everyone. And whilst I've learnt a lot already I have a lot more to learn! I basically know nothing so hope to garner and gather as much as I can off you all over time.

I've recently spent 6 years riding around Amsterdam on a "city" bike that had 5 speeds, a steel frame, a bolt upright seating position and cost me EUR50. As they say in the Netherlands - your lock(s) should be worth more than your bike! I know nothing about modern bikes...

...so I went and got a 2016 Sirrus Expert Carbon because of course that makes sense!

But really it did make sense as it cost me ~US$890 which was only a little more than the alu disc alternatives that I was looking at. Came with a basic computer too. It is second hand but has spent most of its short life on a rack in a garage and still has the little warning stickers on the brake discs!

I don't even have a helmet (legal requirement here in New Zealand) or a lock, or fenders or anything for that matter so there's some more research to do before I pick it up.

Because apparently pics are mandatory here is one from the original owner... I reckon they look sexy as hell.
Attached Images
TMPics01Edit.jpg (95.0 KB, 620 views)
Likes For djmcnz:
Old 01-08-17, 11:48 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by djmcnz
Great thread, thanks for the contributions from everyone. And whilst I've learnt a lot already I have a lot more to learn! I basically know nothing so hope to garner and gather as much as I can off you all over time.

I've recently spent 6 years riding around Amsterdam on a "city" bike that had 5 speeds, a steel frame, a bolt upright seating position and cost me EUR50. As they say in the Netherlands - your lock(s) should be worth more than your bike! I know nothing about modern bikes...

...so I went and got a 2016 Sirrus Expert Carbon because of course that makes sense!

But really it did make sense as it cost me ~US$890 which was only a little more than the alu disc alternatives that I was looking at. Came with a basic computer too. It is second hand but has spent most of its short life on a rack in a garage and still has the little warning stickers on the brake discs!

I don't even have a helmet (legal requirement here in New Zealand) or a lock, or fenders or anything for that matter so there's some more research to do before I pick it up.

Because apparently pics are mandatory here is one from the original owner... I reckon they look sexy as hell.
Great stuff, that is an awesome bike to begin your non-city bike, riding on.
Old 01-09-17, 12:12 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Great stuff, that is an awesome bike to begin your non-city bike, riding on.
Thanks Colonel!

More bike than I need but at least that means I can grow into it. Daily commute to work (~3kms) and lots of parks and "mountains" (not like Everest!) close to where I live. And I need to get fit. Perfect combo I reckon.
Old 01-09-17, 09:53 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djmcnz
Beautiful bike!
Old 01-10-17, 06:55 PM
andcb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice..

It most certainly is...
Old 03-17-17, 03:40 PM
JacobLP
Specialized

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Disc 2017

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thoughts on the Specialized Sirrus Disc 2017? Reckon I could handle some off road trails?

Last edited by JacobLP; 03-19-17 at 03:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.