Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 06:59 AM
n0thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I took my bike by my LBS last night to get some gearing upgrades done and noticed a huge sign out front saying "300 bikes on clearance!" Ends up they were bought out by Erik's Bike Shop and they are changing over to them so they are doing an inventory clearance. The deals on Specialized were the best I have ever seen so I took a look around. Big mistake.

I'm now the proud owner of a 2016 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon. It was game over after I took it for a test ride. The bike felt more comfortable than my 2015 Sirrus Comp Disc, partly because it's a frame size large instead of a medium and partly because you guys weren't lying about carbon! It also felt way more sprightly than my bike both in turns and in acceleration. I downgraded a bit in going from Tiagra to Sora but it has more hill friendly gearing which was why I was there in the first place. I got the bike for $900.

Once I got home I weighed the bike because I wanted to make sure what I was feeling wasn't placebo. It weighs in at 22.2lbs in a frame size large and that's after I put my cages, lights, and saddle bag on it. My Sirrus Comp Disc weighed 23.9lbs in a frame size medium with all of the same kit on it.
Likes For n0thing:
Old 09-28-16, 07:27 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by n0thing
I took my bike by my LBS last night to get some gearing upgrades done and noticed a huge sign out front saying "300 bikes on clearance!" Ends up they were bought out by Erik's Bike Shop and they are changing over to them so they are doing an inventory clearance. The deals on Specialized were the best I have ever seen so I took a look around. Big mistake.

I'm now the proud owner of a 2016 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon. It was game over after I took it for a test ride. The bike felt more comfortable than my 2015 Sirrus Comp Disc, partly because it's a frame size large instead of a medium and partly because you guys weren't lying about carbon! It also felt way more sprightly than my bike both in turns and in acceleration. I downgraded a bit in going from Tiagra to Sora but it has more hill friendly gearing which was why I was there in the first place. I got the bike for $900.

Once I got home I weighed the bike because I wanted to make sure what I was feeling wasn't placebo. It weighs in at 22.2lbs in a frame size large and that's after I put my cages, lights, and saddle bag on it. My Sirrus Comp Disc weighed 23.9lbs in a frame size medium with all of the same kit on it.
Congratulations.

What seat is that?
Old 09-28-16, 08:09 AM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Congratulations.

What seat is that?
Thanks!

The seat is a Selle SMP TRK and it's insanely comfortable to ride on.

https://www.amazon.com/SMP-TRK-Mens-.../dp/B00ZEO0E9Y
Old 09-28-16, 08:46 AM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike, I was looking at one the other day, 2016 on sale for $1100.... good thing all the sales guys were busy. I hate asking the spouse for forgiveness for these impulse purchases.
Old 09-28-16, 06:53 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is the seat curve down at the front?
Old 09-28-16, 07:03 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by chong67
Why is the seat curve down at the front?
To look like an Eagle that is going to poke your eyes out.
Old 09-29-16, 11:13 AM
prtyich

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon, Dahon Vitesse P18

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$900? That is a steal. Do you know what the difference in components between the 2016 and 2017?
Old 09-29-16, 11:21 AM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ahh yes, the Gonzo nose as we call it.

It curves down and has a slit in the middle of the front. You can see it better in these images:

https://www.bikemania.biz/media/catal...le_trk_man.jpg
https://www.bikemania.biz/media/catal..._trk_man-4.jpg

It's done that way for cooling, supposedly. They say it's "drop nose and air channel to support your sit bones." Whether it works or not I'm not sure, I just know the comfort of the saddle itself is outstanding and the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden on. Those who sat on it at my LBS were pretty impressed as well but won't get it because they are all concerned with weight on their road bikes that actually weigh slightly less than gravity. The seat is around 400g IIRC.
Old 09-29-16, 11:29 AM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prtyich
$900? That is a steal. Do you know what the difference in components between the 2016 and 2017?
They don't make the Carbon Elite for 2017 so I'd guess it's nearest comparison would be the Carbon Sport. The Elite has nicer shifting (Sora derailleurs with microShift shifting) compared to the Alivio/microShift on the Sport. The Sport has nicer Shimano brakes compared to Tektro on the Elite. Overall the Elite looks maybe a little bit nicer on the spec sheets than the Sport does but if you compare MSRP to MSRP the Sport is $100 cheaper than the Elite.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-carbon/106639 (2016 Elite Carbon specs)
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-carbon/118220 (2017 Sport Carbon specs)
Old 09-29-16, 12:33 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sweet deal, congrats. I would have bought it for that price - and I don't need another Sirrus!
Old 09-29-16, 12:35 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
They don't make the Carbon Elite for 2017 so I'd guess it's nearest comparison would be the Carbon Sport. The Elite has nicer shifting (Sora derailleurs with microShift shifting) compared to the Alivio/microShift on the Sport. The Sport has nicer Shimano brakes compared to Tektro on the Elite. Overall the Elite looks maybe a little bit nicer on the spec sheets than the Sport does but if you compare MSRP to MSRP the Sport is $100 cheaper than the Elite.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-carbon/106639 (2016 Elite Carbon specs)
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-carbon/118220 (2017 Sport Carbon specs)
Jesus, you got that bike for $500 off? I find Erik's discounts to usually be pretty small, even now. Like $100 or so. But actually, a quick look at their website shows that all of their 2016 Sirruses are going for full MSRP still. I got mine on July 31st for $690 instead of the $810 MSRP, which it is now back up to for some odd reason.

Which shop/where got bought out by Erik's?
Old 09-29-16, 01:04 PM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Jesus, you got that bike for $500 off? I find Erik's discounts to usually be pretty small, even now. Like $100 or so. But actually, a quick look at their website shows that all of their 2016 Sirruses are going for full MSRP still. I got mine on July 31st for $690 instead of the $810 MSRP, which it is now back up to for some odd reason.

Which shop/where got bought out by Erik's?
The shop name is Bike Source. They are a chain across a few states, but the ones around where I live here in Kansas were bought out and are turning into Erik's stores. As a result, they are clearing out their old inventory (of something like 300 bikes) in preparation of the October change into the new store.

This is the list of bikes they are clearing out right now. You can find some great deals in it: https://www.bikesourceonline.com/merc...-PV-Models.pdf

My bike lists on there for $999 and is towards the bottom of the list under Flat Bar Road Bikes. I got an additional $100 off because of an issue I experienced with them in the past that they wanted to make straight.
Old 09-29-16, 07:23 PM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Sweet deal, congrats. I would have bought it for that price - and I don't need another Sirrus!
You can never have too many bikes.
Old 09-30-16, 12:24 PM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've gone on a few rides on the bike now and I'm noticing something rather strange. Over paved roads the ride is definitely smoother, but on cracks in the road or other types of bumps that are sudden there is a noticeably stronger jarring effect going on. I'm using the same tires off of my Sirrus Comp Disc (Bontrager AW2 Hard Case Lite) at the same pressure and the bike has the same stem and same grips on it.

The tires are Hard Case and 25c so the ride quality isn't going to be amazing, but I didn't have this problem with the Comp. The 28cs that came on the bike were a lot more comfortable but I hate the look of reflective sidewalls and they roll like a tire that is flat. I'll switch to some different 28cs and see if it gets any better. My LBS recommended the Vittoria Open Pave CG III but I don't like so many reviewers stating it's easy to cut up the tire due to it's softness. I'm thinking I may try the Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II as it's quite raved about in this section and in the road section.
Old 09-30-16, 01:28 PM
AVLThumper

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm looking at a 2017 Expert Carbon model, and I had a few questions. First, I'm 6'6", long legs (38" cycling inseam, 36" pants inseam). I test rode an XL Sirrus base aluminum model. It felt pretty good. I am not accustomed to the upright seating position, but I liked it. I think the Expert models with the CG-R seatpost and 35mm setback would help stretch me out just a little bit if I felt the need or I could always change the stem out. Are most of you folks sitting straight up or are you stretched out a bit? I'm just trying to verify that the bike was a good fit for me since I am not used to hybrid/commuter geometry.

The guy at the Specialized store said it looked like I could be stretched out more, but when I pointed out the bike is supposed to have an upright seating position, he seemed surprised...I don't think he knows much about the bike.

My other questions are:

1. Does anybody know the width of handlebars that come on the 31.8 diameter specd bars?
2. How long is the "flowset" stem on the XL?
2. Can somebody verify the XL frames come with a 175mm crank arm length?
3. Are there any 6'6" or close to it riders on an XL...opinions on fit?

Thanks for any insight!
Old 10-01-16, 02:12 PM
prtyich

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon, Dahon Vitesse P18

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The shop name is Bike Source. They are a chain across a few states, but the ones around where I live here in Kansas were bought out and are turning into Erik's stores. As a result, they are clearing out their old inventory (of something like 300 bikes) in preparation of the October change into the new store.

This is the list of bikes they are clearing out right now. You can find some great deals in it: https://www.bikesourceonline.com/merc...-PV-Models.pdf

My bike lists on there for $999 and is towards the bottom of the list under Flat Bar Road Bikes. I got an additional $100 off because of an issue I experienced with them in the past that they wanted to make straight.
Where I am in the NE, those kinds of price discounts don't exist; pop density is too great for too few Specialized dealers operating here. Next time I need to buy a bike maybe I'll head out West to the corn fields of KS.
Old 10-03-16, 07:57 AM
AVLThumper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, went ahead and placed an order for an XL Sirrus Expert Carbon X1. Should be here by Friday.
Old 10-03-16, 08:26 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by AVLThumper
Well, went ahead and placed an order for an XL Sirrus Expert Carbon X1. Should be here by Friday.
Remember, pics are mandatory.
Old 10-03-16, 09:21 AM
n0thing

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Absolutely. Those are gorgeous bikes. Congrats!
Old 10-03-16, 01:56 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone gone from a road bike to a Sirrus? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I've always been a fan of the Specialized Sirrus but have never owned one yet. I'm interested in the Sirrus Elite (Alu frame with with carbon fork) and the Sirrus Sport Carbon (full carbon frame). If I were to make the purchase, this would be replacing a Trek Madone that is sized a little too big for me and is giving me shoulder/neck pain.
Old 10-03-16, 02:24 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I have a couple of road bikes, as well as a Crosstrail and a Sirrus. My thoughts ... personally ... they are somewhat different. I go completely different places on a road bike than a hybrid. Hybrids are for un-paved MUPS, paved MUPS, well-groomed trails, dirt roads ... with the right tires, of course. Road bikes are for ... roads. At least for me.

All of that being said ... I do have some lower back issues with some misalignment and degeneration of the vertabrae, and I find the more upright posture of a mt. or hybrid is easier on my back at times when those flare up. It would probably do the same thing with neck/shoulder issues - but fit may be more important, fundamentally, than posture.

Other than the comfort aspect, I guess I would just say this -- you will lose some speed but gain some capability to cover different types of terrain. I have a carbon Sirrus, I like the lighter weight, but it's not as big of a differential in weight from the aluminum as there often is in road bikes.

Realistically, you can't go wrong, IMHO, as long as you aren't addicted to speed as your primary metric of performance, and as long as the fit of the individual bike you purchase is set up properly for you.
Old 10-04-16, 09:37 AM
AVLThumper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Remember, pics are mandatory.
Will do! Hoping to pick it up on Friday.
Old 10-04-16, 03:29 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback DaveQ24. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've only ridden my road bike on paved bike trails, sidewalks and streets in my neighborhood. I haven't actually taken it out on the roads... yet. That is partly why I'm considering the Sirrus, because it seems like it matches better with the kind of riding I do.

I do like speed. I like being able to go fast on flat straights and I like the beautiful high speed cornering on my road bike. I just don't like the shoulder/neck pain that comes along with it LOL.

That kind of leads me to another question. How does the Sirrus handle corners? Does it feel stable while taking a corner quickly? One of my main complaints with the Trek 7.2 FX that I'm currently riding, is that it doesn't inspire confidence when taking corners at speed.
Old 10-08-16, 04:48 PM
AVLThumper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2017 Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

I picked up my new expert carbon X1 ON Friday. I'm 6'6", so I went XL. I've put on some Race Face Atlas riser bars and Ergon grips that I already had. I found a perfectly matched grey and black Fizik Arione saddle on EBay this week that I picked up for a steal. Which is perfect for me because my road bike and gravel bike both have one. I have some VP Harrier pedals waiting to be put on, and after riding it today for about 20 miles, I'll likely be updating the Axis wheels. They are slow and heavy, but they do look nice. I'll probably go with either Pacenti SL25 or Stans Grail with Hope or some similar mid grade hub. I'll add some pics soon.

20161008_144525 by murphydog28806, on Flickr

20161008_144540 by murphydog28806, on Flickr

20161008_144550 by murphydog28806, on Flickr

20161008_144602 by murphydog28806, on Flickr

20161008_144611 by murphydog28806, on Flickr

20161008_144624 by murphydog28806, on Flickr

20161008_144634 by murphydog28806, on Flickr

Last edited by AVLThumper; 10-08-16 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add pics
Likes For AVLThumper:
Old 10-09-16, 03:18 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by AVLThumper
Nice Stealth Fighter look to your bike.

How wide are your handlebars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.