Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best option for this bike rack

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-12-16, 01:26 PM
mnsam

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Have a lot of the type of bike rack in the picture in my area. Its not really possible to use a U lock when putting the bike in the center of the rack. I can use a U lock if I lock the bike on the sides of the rack, but it looks like the rack could easily be disassembled. The nut that holds the rack together doesn’t really appear to be welded on. Is there anything that i cant see that would make it difficult to disassemble the rack or am I better off finding something more sturdy nearby. Other option would be a U lock on the sides and a cable lock to one of the bars in the center which would at least require 2 tools
Old 10-12-16, 01:30 PM
mnsam

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cant seem to upload the photo, but it looks just like the one in the link below

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...lw&fr2=piv-web
Old 10-12-16, 02:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Then that is the approach you use... lock to the sides..

its not a fixed rack the whole thing can be carried away with all the bikes locked to it..

Use a Concreted into the side walk Sign Post instead?

Start attending City Council Meetings and promote more secure easier to use Bike racks ,

Or is this used by your School, not the City?
Old 10-12-16, 02:11 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
One option for racks like that is to put the front wheel over the top of the rack and rest the bottom of the downtube on the rack. And something more secure would be better.
Old 10-12-16, 03:32 PM
HvPnyrs

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yarn bomb/Knit storm that bad boy

Originally Posted by Leebo
One option for racks like that is to put the front wheel over the top of the rack and rest the bottom of the downtube on the rack. And something more secure would be better.

Unfortunately my local V.A. Clinic uses one very similar to O.P.s Problem child.

Being on FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PROPERTY,
I am not able to muster the Fortitude to recruit the G.F. for a Covert Stealth Op, wee hours " 'O' Dark-Thirty '" Yarn Bomb/Knit Storm mission.
As we may have , allegedly, possibly, vaguest whisper of rumor, might have heard, OTHERS UNKNOWN to us, maybe, might have done... ... Sorta wasn't any evidence. Way in the past. Definitely Statute Of Limitations expired, like aeons ago. At other - Non Federal Government - Facilities and/or Institutions, in other possible Juridictions, Kinda.

/

Last edited by HvPnyrs; 10-12-16 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Formatting: For clarity and readability--- REDACTED REDACTABLE REDACTIONS until 2116/04/01
Old 10-12-16, 04:11 PM
mnsam

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both one of the local gyms that I go to as well as the grocery store nearby both have the same set up. Luckily at work I have much better options. There is a street sign in the parking lot at both places that might be an option
Old 10-12-16, 05:38 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I hate those kind of racks. I try to use the side of it whenever space allows to lock my frame to it. If not I just lock my front wheel to it with my u-lock. Since I have very good lockable pitlock skewers on my wheels, they can't just take the wheel off and ride away. They'd have to cut the rim, making the bike useless for a quick getaway.
Old 10-13-16, 08:21 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by HvPnyrs
I am not able to muster the Fortitude to recruit the G.F. for a Covert Stealth Op, wee hours " 'O' Dark-Thirty '" Yarn Bomb/Knit Storm mission.
I had no idea what yarn bombing was. Looked it up. Is this what you were thinking?

Old 10-13-16, 09:14 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I had no idea what yarn bombing was. Looked it up. Is this what you were thinking?

That's just weird enough to be Portland. But's it's still a good way to keep the rack from scratching the paint!

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 10-13-16, 10:27 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz

Unfortunately with those, you now have to check the rack under the yarn, because thieves are now cutting the racks and then putting these over them. Pretty genius I admit, but horrible. You lock up thinking your bike is secure because it is a rack, but under that easily moved yarn, the rack is cut, so your bike disappears in seconds.
Old 10-13-16, 10:42 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
I despise the "low profile" racks, just small semi-circles down low. They have them at my local drug store, and I see them at local schools. Only a really long cable could loop thru the semi-circle, the front wheel, the frame, and all the way to the rear wheel.

I don't mind the ones the OP has pictured. If I can't lock to the end of the rack, then like Leebo above I put the front wheel over the horizontal bar, and let the bike rest on the downtube, altho this can be a problem with a front fender.

Otherwise, I too look for a well-anchored sign post. A utility pole is my last resort.
Old 10-13-16, 06:28 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by HvPnyrs

Unfortunately my local V.A. Clinic uses one very similar to O.P.s Problem child.

Being on FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PROPERTY,
I can't imagine that bike theft is really a problem on federal property. My local VA clinic has a 24/7 security patrol with nothing to do. And crimes that occur on federal property are automatically federal charges, which is usually enough to convince dedicated thieves to find easier targets.
Old 10-13-16, 08:11 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
That's just weird enough to be Portland. But's it's still a good way to keep the rack from scratching the paint!
Keeping one of those over the top tube of your bike would also protect the paint, and would be extra fashionable of course. I've used a piece of innertube for that purpose.