Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 06:38 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Did he have a roll of TP in his jersey?
Doesn't everyone?
Old 10-08-17, 10:29 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nahbrah, the chamois cream is disinfectant. Not like anyone but me is ever going to wear these bibs.

GC, can you poll your group to see if he intimated to anyone he'd like to be handed a cap and offered a shoulder?
Old 10-08-17, 01:29 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Is it a sign that I have a problem (other than the problem of being a ****ty mechanic) that I just spent 10-15 minutes adjusting the bearing play on the cup and cone bottom bracket of my almost 3-year old's 16" wheeled bike? The cranks spin so buttery smooth with so little resistance now, not that he'll ever notice or care. To be fair, it's not like I took his bike apart just to get less friction on the bb. We'd been using the bike as a balance bike (so I'd pulled the pedals, crank, chain, etc.) but now he's been asking for pedals.
Old 10-08-17, 08:57 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
If I really needed to take a crap that bad I would excuse myself from the ride and tell everyone see ya next time.
I'd just keep pooping and making sure everyone knew! It's pro.
Old 10-09-17, 10:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Is it a sign that I have a problem (other than the problem of being a ****ty mechanic) that I just spent 10-15 minutes adjusting the bearing play on the cup and cone bottom bracket of my almost 3-year old's 16" wheeled bike? The cranks spin so buttery smooth with so little resistance now, not that he'll ever notice or care. To be fair, it's not like I took his bike apart just to get less friction on the bb. We'd been using the bike as a balance bike (so I'd pulled the pedals, crank, chain, etc.) but now he's been asking for pedals.
I completely reassembled the BB and coaster brake on my son's Target Lightning McQueen (tm) bike. Probably the only kid at the playground with a bike that smelled of Phil's Tenacious.
Old 10-09-17, 10:52 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Didn't feel like digging into the coaster brake myself, but I briefly considered it. I'm too cheap for Phil's though.
Old 10-09-17, 07:40 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you start throwing real money (ceramic bearings) at it or they slice their leg open due to the absolute lack of friction when touching the pedal. you have a problem.

Some of you might find this humorous but I will trudge on. Today I bought 30 lb library display quality unabridged dictionary for my personal library. I questioned whether this was a bridge too far. After some thought, a large well made comfortably upwards tilting display turn table which necessitated frequent dusting would have been a bridge too far. This option has not been ruled out.
Old 10-09-17, 09:31 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
you bought a dictionary? so you can look up and better use your thesaurus words?
Old 10-09-17, 10:22 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I bought a trove of information on far ranging subjects. Beyond the full English language it contains abridged German, Italian, and Spanish (both to and from English!) dictionaries. Then it goes on to depict every symbol currently in use worldwide in any professional capacity, full copies of the Declaration of Independence/US Constitution/Bill of rights/UN Charter, rather extensive lists of important dates in world history and geographical data, and finally a full atlas (interplanetary & earth). This was by no means encompassing. I just randomly flipped to a page which landed in the midst of a list detailing major reference works in all significant fields of study.

So beyond the capability to mock your blithely disrespectful views on my posts. It will serve as a quick reference guide bereft of advertising and paid results which overwhelm search engines. An uncommon solution to be sure, but one I believe will serve me well. Yes, it will also allow me to challenge you with words like colpotomy.
Old 10-09-17, 10:31 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
It's too bad there's not a trove of information on far ranging subjects in digital form somewhere.
Old 10-09-17, 10:51 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may have missed my palpable frustration with internet sources. Anything of true intellectual worth is behind a paywall.

No wait, tell me you mean Wikipedia. Please tell me you meant Wikipedia.
Old 10-09-17, 10:57 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
So funny - the internet wins; even Librarians accept that.
Old 10-09-17, 11:03 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given the tenured status of at least a few people here that has the makings of a very interesting conversation. Truth is public libraries are not very good sources of useful information of the kind I'm referring to. The shelves were cleared of reference materials to be replaced with ___ for dummies guides if anything at all. Instead they focus on safe space unpaid babysitting, renting out their meeting spaces, and high frequency fee systems on trashy pop novels. All this on the way to cutting highly educated employees for morons with degrees who are rented out for data entry and research purposes. The last explaining their reliance on the internet.

Waitasecond. You don't happen to be a librarian or closely related to one do you? The above might detail a long developing grudge that started when my local system decided on a scheme to soak people who rent more than X books a month. For $30-$75 by simply forgetting to log them into their system correctly. When I, and numerous other politely fuming patrons, pulled them off the shelf and shoved them under the nose of the fine collector they simply hid them in storage and claimed full permissible value through a debt collection service. As you might imagine this set off a chain of events that coincided with the above mentioned nationwide trend.

Last edited by miyata man; 10-09-17 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-09-17, 11:17 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Sorry I meant library science; journals are all online now and very searchable.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
Old 10-09-17, 11:22 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phew, I was almost sure your wife, or even worse a kid, worked in a library. Thank you for the link. Biomedical science is actually something I rarely have need to explore but it will be a welcome resource.
Old 10-09-17, 11:57 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
It will serve as a quick reference guide bereft of advertising and paid results which overwhelm search engines.
bolded the first obviously incorrectly used word I came across.

bereft is negative. Deprived of.

Deprived is also negative. Means lacking necessities.

So you bought a book that is lacking necessary advertisements and paid results. I guess.

Weird thing is you're probably as smart as any of us in here, but you try so hard it's always ****ed up. Like a chef putting too much on the plate. The more you venture the more likely there's a mistake.

I'm not mocking you. Just saying you should tone it down.

Lions are super strong, but they wait in the grass and strike when it's smart.

Last edited by Ygduf; 10-10-17 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 06:39 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not amazed you are trying to argue against, wait for it because this time it really is a good one, a dictionary. In doing so you aptly described the problem with looking up the word in question online.

Edit: The colpotomy reference was unnecessary slight of hand. I forgot about that and have toned down my reply by removing a wink smiley. Devoid is the better modern interpretation of what bereft means in common usage.

My vocabulary is fairly highly vetted. GMT questioning my use of the word disabuse a few weeks before it saw a very distinct rise in popularity, comes to mind. Frankly there has been too many instances to count. Over time I have made an effort to tone down challenging others with examples of how good words have a few meanings and better ones have many more.

Also I can't expect to win a battle about the internet with someone living in the SV peninsula.

Last edited by miyata man; 10-10-17 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 07:05 AM
topflightpro

Miyati Man reminds me of the time Mr. Jimmy James had his business book translated into Japanese then back into English.

Old 10-10-17, 07:22 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I actually always think of a character on a current PBS show my son likes, Agent Obfusco https://oddsquad.wikia.com/wiki/Agent_Obfusco_(Agent)
Old 10-10-17, 08:09 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is quite good. Obfuscate was another heavily refuted, pulling hair out in tufts, example in this war on my words. Memory is of that not actually being a real word because the internet didn't yield sufficient evidence of it's existence.

Old 10-10-17, 08:12 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Miyati Man reminds me of the time Mr. Jimmy James had his business book translated into Japanese then back into English.
Bravo! At least you got the tv character right.
Old 10-10-17, 12:31 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not amazed you are trying to argue against, wait for it because this time it really is a good one, a dictionary. In doing so you aptly described the problem with looking up the word in question online.

Edit: The colpotomy reference was unnecessary slight of hand. I forgot about that and have toned down my reply by removing a wink smiley. Devoid is the better modern interpretation of what bereft means in common usage.

My vocabulary is fairly highly vetted. GMT questioning my use of the word disabuse a few weeks before it saw a very distinct rise in popularity, comes to mind. Frankly there has been too many instances to count. Over time I have made an effort to tone down challenging others with examples of how good words have a few meanings and better ones have many more.

Also I can't expect to win a battle about the internet with someone living in the SV peninsula.
I don't even know where to start. Is this /r/iamverysmart copypasta?
Old 10-10-17, 12:57 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
bolded the first obviously incorrectly used word I came across.

bereft is negative. Deprived of.

Deprived is also negative. Means lacking necessities.

So you bought a book that is lacking necessary advertisements and paid results. I guess.
That only makes sense to me. He doesn't want ads. The book lacks ads. How is this usage incorrect?

Not sure how the internet loses in this case. I found the definition with no solicitations for payment and exactly zero advertisements from this google search.
bereft.PNG
Old 10-10-17, 01:05 PM
topflightpro

I learned this morning that if I eat a 600 calorie honey bun for my second breakfast, I'm really not hungry the rest of the day.
Old 10-10-17, 01:07 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright already, what started as a bad joke on myself got taken too far. Mainly by me.

None of us could resist making their kid's first bike less awful for the 6 months before they outgrow it. Realizing a life dream of owning a large outdated book is way nerdier. Let's just move on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.