Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 12:23 PM
Kevsumac

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 3 disc Hybrid, Bontrager Privateer Mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mirrors

What mirrors do you find most useful, if you use mirrors. I know a lot of people don't want to add weight but I like seeing the car behind me that's about to hit me!
Old 09-29-17, 12:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
at my LBS we sell a variety of mirrors , some go on the bars some go on the helmet.

try visiting a bike shop?

https://www.mirrycle.com/

https://www.efficientvelo.com/home/safezone/

Old 09-29-17, 02:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I use Mirrycles on my two hybrids. Not decorative or classic looking but well designed, very tough and functional.

Almost a year ago I began using a Take-A-Look helmet mirror too. Took awhile to get accustomed to. Hated it the first couple of weeks. Now it's so familiar I feel nekkid without it. So I zip tied it to the helmet rather than my glasses, since I switch between sunglasses, clear safety glasses and sometimes no glasses.

I have limited neck flexibility from an accident so mirrors are a must. Some folks seem to get by without them, but even before my accident I preferred riding with a bike mirror. Same as riding a motorcycle or driving a car.
Old 09-29-17, 04:46 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I have Mirrcyles too and despite reading about some issues in a few reviews, mine have been rock solid. They work as they should. I wish there was a portable mirror that wasn't helmet or glasses oriented. I'd like to have a mirror when I use bike shares. There are the arm/wrist ones, but have read some very mixed reviews.
Old 09-29-17, 05:50 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,372 Times in 1,578 Posts
I use a mirror made by the late, great Chuck Harris, as well as one sold by the HubBub bike shop, which is a more modern interpretation of Chuck's mirrror....
https://hubbubonline.com/?product_cat=helmet-mirror

I've heard very good things about the Take A Look mirror too.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-30-17, 03:24 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
On my Surly Long Haul Trucker (and my commuter for that matter) my mirror of choice is a Busch & Muller Cyclestar 901 whereas on my Salsa Mukluk fat bike as I have Jones H-Bar I use a Zefal Spy mirror.
Old 09-30-17, 04:18 AM
tengtengvn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$2.50 on ebay. I bought the 2nd one for backup as well.

Last edited by tengtengvn; 09-30-17 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-30-17, 07:32 PM
jackrippah

Bikes: Surly LHT, 85' Specialized Expedition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using Mirrcyles of various styles since (I think) around '78 or so. I've tried others but found none better.
Old 09-30-17, 09:23 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I have a Blackburn Road Bike mirror...mounts on the brake hood. Had to modify a bit for RS685 Disc hood (cut lower arm curve to straight) and replaced the wonky supplied Velcro strap with a length of 1/2 inch wide Velcro. Works pretty good.
Old 09-30-17, 10:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I use the Third Eye Round Helmet Mirror that has been around a long time. I don't love the clamp-to-helmet so I make custom brackets out of fiberglass that the clamp works really well on. I drill two very small holes in the helmet visor and bolt the bracket on. Mirrors stay on, rarely get damaged and usually last the useful life of the helmet (and longer than most visors). My bracket last several helmets. Drawback is that they are custom to the helmets so when I change helmet styles, I have to make another one which takes only a few hours but over several days. (Very frustrating. If the helmet and mirror people would set a standard detail for about one inch of the visor, this bracket would easily manufactured at a cost of say $10 at high markup.)

But once I have my bracket, those mirrors work very well, are located perfectly and stay there. (And are not very expensive to replace.)

Edit: I move around a lot on the bike. No mirror fixed on the bike will be usable more than half the time. A properly located helmet mirrir works for me really well.

Ben
Old 10-01-17, 05:37 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I use the Third Eye Round Helmet Mirror that has been around a long time. I don't love the clamp-to-helmet so I make custom brackets out of fiberglass that the clamp works really well on. I drill two very small holes in the helmet visor and bolt the bracket on. Mirrors stay on, rarely get damaged and usually last the useful life of the helmet (and longer than most visors). My bracket last several helmets. Drawback is that they are custom to the helmets so when I change helmet styles, I have to make another one which takes only a few hours but over several days. (Very frustrating. If the helmet and mirror people would set a standard detail for about one inch of the visor, this bracket would easily manufactured at a cost of say $10 at high markup.)

But once I have my bracket, those mirrors work very well, are located perfectly and stay there. (And are not very expensive to replace.)

Edit: I move around a lot on the bike. No mirror fixed on the bike will be usable more than half the time. A properly located helmet mirrir works for me really well.

Ben
I use the same mirror. Any chance you could post a close-up pic of your bracket?
Old 10-01-17, 02:38 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I still have bar end mirrors, but I can not ride in traffic without my take-a-look glasses mount mirror. As everyone notes, it took a while to get used to it, but now I can't imagine riding without it.

A good helmet mount mirror will "display" the same advantage over a handle-bar mirror....You can see a wider field of view due to the closer proximity of the mirror but mostly because you can see almost 180 degrees behind you by turning your head from side to side.
Old 10-01-17, 02:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I use the same mirror. Any chance you could post a close-up pic of your bracket?
I'm afraid I am still digital camera illiterate. My brackets aren't very fancy. I use sheet aluminum (I think it is 8 mil) and cut out a trapezoid 1" at its base (which will become the top at the visor), 3/4" at the top and 1 1/2" high. I bend the top (in use the bottom) to form a 1/4" lip to support the bottom of the mirror clamp. I then gently bent the top to match the bottom 1/2" or so of the visor. (Start with the bracket a little large, then bend, trim and mount your mirror to get the shape right.)

With the metal at the final size and shape, I fiberglass one side with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. (I go large with the fiberglass and trim back later.) Let harden, flip and repeat on the other side. Cut and grind/sand to flush with the metal.

Driill two small holes at the top, use as a pattern to drill the visor. I use very small metric screws (M2?), lockwashers and nuts. Paint if you like.

Ben
Old 10-01-17, 09:25 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I use a beer view mirror.
Old 10-02-17, 07:02 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I find helmet mirrors the best for me. I've never found a bike mounted mirror that worked for me even a little tiny bit. They're just useless. If convex then even a big truck is the size of an ant, and if not the field of view is tiny.

I use the Cycleaware Reflex. I used to have a Take-A-Look but getting in an accident where I did a faceplant and drove that mirror into my face, cutting me badly, changed my mind about which mirror I like.
Old 10-02-17, 08:50 AM
PeterMike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Zefal Cyclop - cheap about $10 mirror which can be hide when not in use.
Old 10-02-17, 08:55 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Rear Viz .... fits like a watch and is really good

add that to a Garmin Varia Radar unit and you will have a lot less stress when cycling on fast roads
Old 10-02-17, 01:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
I use a Take-A-Look mirror and attach it to my glasses. You can attach it to a helmet, if you like. I use it so often that I carry it with me even when I'm not riding, just in case I find myself riding a bike unexpectedly, such as a bike share bike. I love it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-02-17, 01:23 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Kevsumac
What mirrors do you find most useful, if you use mirrors. I know a lot of people don't want to add weight but I like seeing the car behind me that's about to hit me!
The day that will come in big time racing. Just watch. (Might take another decade or three.) A top sprinter will start using a mirror to be able to better track his competitors behind him. Yes there will be an uproar over him having an unfair advantage. But this will put the race regulators in a tough spot of having to publicly declare they will not espouse a device that, if emulated by the general public, could save lives.

Don't hold your breath. But it will happen. Probably not in my lifetime.

Ben
Old 10-02-17, 03:44 PM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
Rear Viz .... fits like a watch and is really good

add that to a Garmin Varia Radar unit and you will have a lot less stress when cycling on fast roads
Was excited about this mirror but read a scathing product review so I went with mirrcycles. But if it really does work well...it would be great to have a mirror that isn't tied to the bike.
Old 10-02-17, 04:57 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
I use Take-a-look on my glasses. I'd rather ride without a helmet than without the mirror. I used a Third Eye previously, but wasn't satisfied with its durability.
Old 10-02-17, 04:59 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I like the Take A Look mirror, the compact version. I’ve tried most of the other form factors: helmet mounted (BikeHub), bike mounted (Italian Bike Mirror and Bike EyeZ) etc... Nothing comes close to the Take A Look mirror mounted to my sunglasses.

J.
Old 10-03-17, 06:35 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Helmet and eye glass mounted mirrors are great if you ride a hybrid, mountain bike or always ride on the hoods of a road bike. I used a Take-a-look mirror for quite some time before I started using aerobars. They don't do very well when going from the hoods to the drops, either. At that point, they become totally useless unless you want to readjust them every time you drop to bars and again when you raise up to the hoods. Currently, I'm using the Italian style bar end bullet mirrors and have them adjusted in such a way that I only need to move my arm on the pad, when on the aerobars, to see what's behind me.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress