Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you request road maintenance?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-12-18, 06:11 PM
RFEngineer

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu Gravel Bike, 2015 Motobecane Turino Team

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had decent success in complaining to my city/county about potholes in roads. I have found that governments take pride in responding quickly to these types of requests. Whether they actually fix anything is up for debate.

Obvious potholes are easy to request and get fixed. But I often find that roads need overall maintenance rather than specific potholes filled. For example, old patches are failing or were never completed to a high quality. Or frost heave cracks have formed. A road that is adequate for car travel is often inadequate for bike travel.

Do you bother requesting road maintenance? How do you go about it? Take pictures of specific problems? I am curious because I want to be more effective in directing my local government in road maintenance, specifically for bikes.
Alan
Old 03-12-18, 07:01 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by RFEngineer
Do you bother requesting road maintenance? How do you go about it? Take pictures of specific problems? I am curious because I want to be more effective in directing my local government in road maintenance, specifically for bikes.
Alan
Yes. FWIW, some cities and towns are FINALLY responding to hazard to people on bikes reports.

The PITA is multiple jurisdictions, multiple apps. We have some crazy borders around here.

I’ve found high correlation to accurate description of the hazard and gps/address to getting something fixed.
Pics not so much.

-mr. bill
Old 03-12-18, 07:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The state is broke, the county is broke, and the town I live in doesn't give a crap. They wrangle the housing developers to paying for the fire stations and schools. Roads? Pffff. Welcome to the fringe zone where suburbia meets... nowhere.
Old 03-12-18, 09:32 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I wouldn't have anything to complain about as roads around here are pretty good. When I travel elsewhere I realize we're pretty fortunate.
Old 03-12-18, 09:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I usually ignore the little stuff. The City of Eugene is supposed to have a bike app that I tried to use once, but it crashed every time I tried to post something. Springfield hasn't joined it.

I've reported a few things, but perhaps not getting to the right people, and it generally is ignored.

If there is an extreme hazard, I have reported it. I reported an Osprey nest on a power line, and the utility company removed it the next day.

Just yesterday I encountered this in one of the sidewalks, and they were quick to respond.

StormDrainCover.jpg

The cover was about 4'x4'. While it did seem to support my weight, the whole thing wobbled when I stepped on it.

I'm not quite sure what it was... perhaps the entrance to Hades.

Oh, and I found a broken half missing manhole cover that I reported a few years ago... also fixed quickly.

Last edited by CliffordK; 03-12-18 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 10:07 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
I’ve reported a growing pot hole on my street with success. It was at the right edge of a curvy narrow section of road. As mr_bill mentioned the key was accurate location. In this case I gave the street and house number. I wasn’t expecting much but it was patched up and made level inside of a week. The city has an app for this but I just sent an email.
Old 03-12-18, 10:35 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've reported issues, and they get fixed.
Old 03-12-18, 10:36 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I report potholes if there is so many I can't dodge them anymore or I hit one and get a flat. I call the twp and tell them where it is and they have always fixed them quickly! I tell them I ride a bike and fixing flats in the cold and at night is not fun. After they fix them I call and thank them for the quickness of the repair and how much I appreciate it.
Old 03-12-18, 10:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I suppose that if I have a cool few million they'll be happy to do whatever I request
Old 03-13-18, 01:00 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The state is broke, the county is broke, and the town I live in doesn't give a crap. They wrangle the housing developers to paying for the fire stations and schools. Roads? Pffff. Welcome to the fringe zone where suburbia meets... nowhere.
I sure wish my state was broke like California.
CA government to run budget surplus in 2018 | The Sacramento Bee
Old 03-13-18, 01:05 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I usually ignore the little stuff. The City of Eugene is supposed to have a bike app that I tried to use once, but it crashed every time I tried to post something. Springfield hasn't joined it.

I've reported a few things, but perhaps not getting to the right people, and it generally is ignored.

If there is an extreme hazard, I have reported it. I reported an Osprey nest on a power line, and the utility company removed it the next day.

Just yesterday I encountered this in one of the sidewalks, and they were quick to respond.

Attachment 603129

The cover was about 4'x4'. While it did seem to support my weight, the whole thing wobbled when I stepped on it.

I'm not quite sure what it was... perhaps the entrance to Hades.

Oh, and I found a broken half missing manhole cover that I reported a few years ago... also fixed quickly.
I was at last week's Active Transportation Committee meeting in Eugene. The city traffic planner who sits in, Reed Dunbar, said that the ibikeeugene app improved version is still in development because people in the ad hoc group that is in charge of it keep changing the deliverables. Like just about everything else traffic planning/engineering wise in this city, it's just a mess of incompetence. No wonder Eugene has lost 43% of its cyclists since 2009.

On a related note, I was on a neighborhood walkabout with Reed's boss three years ago. He was trialing an app for reporting sidewalk defects. It's still not available. But hey, his department puts on parties several times each year.
Old 03-13-18, 04:57 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I've reported a couple of potholes using www.fillthathole.org.uk.

It seems to work - the ones I've reported have been patched within a week or so, and it cuts out the hassle of dealing with a local council. I'd really like to report all the local potholes, but that would be a full time job.

As a contrast I take my bike on our Summer trips to France and love riding there. Mile after mile of near perfect tarmac, not a pothole in sight - if the French authorities can get it right why can't those in the UK?
Old 03-13-18, 06:02 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, By describing myself in another manner.

Several years ago, I came across a crack in the road. That went all the way from one side, to the other. I also mentioned that while it would be easier for me to stop. A motor vehicle going 30mph, definitely do some damage to their vehicle. I also mentioned the speed limit on the road in question, and how it gets busy during rush hour. The County DOT fixed it, by the end of the week.
Old 03-13-18, 07:23 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I sure wish my state was broke like California.
CA government to run budget surplus in 2018 | The Sacramento Bee
You have any idea what $7.5B surplus means in the scope of California’s annual spending? They just started the widening project on the 405 freeway- adding some lanes to a 16 mile stretch is going to cost $1.9B.

And I don’t know how anyone could ever say “surplus” in regard to this state— Sacramento has borrowed billions from the public employees pension fund, and they have no way to pay it back. Say surplus to the guy who paid into his CalPERS for 40 years and now his retirement money is gone.

It’s a surplus when everything works and everybody can get paid.
Old 03-13-18, 08:17 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I've repoted stuff... it gets fixed.

I've reported things from bad holes in bike lanes to non functioning stoplights (from cyclist perspective), most have been repaired to my satisfaction.
Old 03-13-18, 09:18 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
There are not enough pot holes around here for me to bother worrying about, so Yay!

Now the traffic lights that I've asked to be recalibrated to detect bikes many times now, that's another story.
Old 03-13-18, 01:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
We can't afford to fix roads. But we can afford to give away billions for sports stadiums and Amazon HQ.
I don't use either.
Old 03-13-18, 02:05 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I wouldn't have anything to complain about as roads around here are pretty good. When I travel elsewhere I realize we're pretty fortunate.
Same for southern Florida. There were issues after Irma, but the crews attacked those problems w/ a vengeance and all is good again.
Old 03-14-18, 02:31 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This time of year in southeast Michigan? "I'd like to report that every single road in the area is a mass of potholes." "Yeah we know. We have six bucks in the budget this year."
Old 03-16-18, 03:33 AM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly true about MI, but when I did report the car eating hole on my dirt road (almost width of the road and deep enough you hit the bumper going through, they were out 2 days later with a grader and some dirt and filled it and graded the road... next storm brought potholes back but not as bad... I am ordering my trike tomorrow to pick up next weekend or early the following week, planning to walk to the corner and paved roads for now.... though I may try riding it on my little road on the way home from the LBS and get a pleasant surprise! I am hoping things are a bit better once I am ready to trike to work in a month or so...