Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Skipping over San Francisco?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 04:13 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

How could a person use public transit to bypass San Francisco?
Say you were steaming south on the Pacific Coast bike route.
and,
Think Big cities are bad for bicycles.
Could a person take a bus from Ft Bragg too Salinas, or Half Moon Bay, or avoid the million car city some how?

Any ideas?
Old 10-17-18, 05:07 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
San Francisco is one of the better big cities I have ridden through. At no time did I feel uncomfortable riding in that city. The only issue was Devils Slide but now that is a nice bike path. You will be missing out if you take public transit. That is a really nice ride to Montara and Half Moon Bay.
Old 10-17-18, 05:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Used to live there , rode from there, south.. (and day trips around the area)
Cross the GG Bridge , hug the pacific coast,
and You will be through SF City/County in a few, maybe 10, miles,
Cannot Sprawl because it is on a peninsula ... it is a compact area.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-17-18 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 05:24 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I found a list of hiker biker state parks in California,
Find a Park

Golden gate bridge to Half Moon Bay is 36 miles, and a million cars. Not to mention the narrow curvy roads and the bad bad drivers leading up to the bridge for few days before you cross.

Not for me. As far as I am concerned, about 2 counties in any direction from San Francisco is the worst place to ride a bike.

My question was =
how to avoid San Francisco?

Last edited by chrisx; 10-17-18 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 05:25 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
As others have indicated, SF is one of the nicest US cities to ride through. After crossing the Golden Gate Bridge (a really nice ride) it would only take you about 2 hours of riding until you were south of Pacifica and back on PCH proper. Much of that 2 hours would be very pleasant riding (through Presidio National Park, Golden Gate Park, and along the shoreline. It makes no sense to me to skip the city. Also, Fort Bragg is about 2 days ride north of SF and you'd miss some epic land- and seascapes if you skipped the area between there and SF.
Old 10-17-18, 06:19 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
There are several large cities between San Francisco and San Diego. You can hop the train in Oakland and take it to San Diego, missing all of them. Having ridden through SF twice, I agree that riding trough there is pretty safe and easy. Besides, you'll miss Ghirardelli's chocolate store.

After dumping our panniers at a motel we hopped on our bikes and explored the city.

Skip it if you want, but you are missing some fun riding.
[/url]
Old 10-17-18, 06:55 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Doug64
There are several large cities between San Francisco and San Diego. You can hop the train in Oakland and take it to San Diego, missing all of them. Having ridden through SF twice, I agree that riding trough there is pretty safe and easy. Besides, you'll miss Ghirardelli's chocolate store.

After dumping our panniers at a motel we hopped on our bikes and explored the city.

Skip it if you want, but you are missing some fun riding.
What time of day was this? 6AM? When I crossed it was more of a walk than a ride. Tourists were wall to wall

Don't miss a turkey sandwich at Arguello Market

https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=18&q=Arguello%20Super%20Market%20San%20Francisco%20CA&ss=ypid.YN114x2055908&ppois=37.775638 5803223_-122.458198547363_Arguello%20Super%20Market_YN114x2055908~&cp=37.775639~-122.458199&v=2&sV=1

They have (or had) a big sign out front. Something like best turkey sandwich in the US, world or whatever. They weren't bragging.

The hostel at Montara is excellent. good first stop if leaving late from San Francisco.

The hostel down by the water in San Francisco front is excellent as well
Old 10-17-18, 07:03 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
As others mentioned, you'll miss some really nice miles if you skip the San Francisco area. Do like the other above mention and take the coast road south through Marin County, cross the Golden Gate bridge (VERY cool on a bicycle!) and then follow the Pacific coastline (generally) to go farther south through the Presidio and the west edge of Golden Gate Park. Don't plan on hitting SF until about 9AM and you should only experience light traffic in the City. And don't go through the center of town; I was there last January on a business trip and it was amazing how many homeless/crazy homeless are in the streets up there! Heck, I'd be more worried about the crazy traffic on Hwy 1 south of Big Sur than the traffic along the coast between SF and PAcifica.

Q: If you don't like San Francisco, what are you going to do when you get to the Los Angeles area? Skip the whole thing and just take Amtrak to San Diego?
Old 10-17-18, 07:06 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by chrisx
I found a list of hiker biker state parks in California,
Find a Park

Golden gate bridge to Half Moon Bay is 36 miles, and a million cars. Not to mention the narrow curvy roads and the bad bad drivers leading up to the bridge for few days before you cross.

Not for me. As far as I am concerned, about 2 counties in any direction from San Francisco is the worst place to ride a bike.

My question was =
how to avoid San Francisco?
Have you been there? It isn't that bad really. Riding in the city is probably far safer than the rest of the coast (which is no that bad if you ride off season and stay aware). You are going to have narrow curvy roads pretty much all the way down the coast with a few exceptions. Much of the road has a decent shoulder but other parts don't. If I had to chose I would ride through San Francisco any day over the rest of the coast. That is if I didn't care about seeing the great views.

If you insist on taking public transit just look on google maps. There are a couple of options but it is going to mean more than one bus. One option is to go through San Diego which I imagine is on BART. It would be easier with the bike. But San Diego to Half Moon Bay is going to be bus anyway.

Perhaps this route is not for you? Consider another area like the Selkirk Loop. Probably the least road traffic on all the tours I have done.
Old 10-17-18, 08:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I agree with the others that think a ride over the Golden Gate is worth it.

I stayed at the HI Hostel at Fishermans Wharf in San Fransisco for a few days of sight seeing. Very affordable. But they fill up so you should make a reservation in advance. There was a Safeway grocery store a short distance from the hostel, you can stock up there before you leave to continue your trip.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 10-17-18 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 08:51 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
[QUOTE=spinnaker;20621625]What time of day was this? 6AM? When I crossed it was more of a walk than a ride. Tourists were wall to wall/QUOTE]
That's the West side of the bridge, I think it's open after 3 pm.
Old 10-17-18, 08:55 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

https://www.yellowpages.com/fort-bra...nd-bus-station
Old 10-17-18, 09:41 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Google Maps has a route on public transportation that takes 8-9 hours from Ft. Bragg to Half Moon Bay. You’ll need to call ahead and see if you can bring a bike with you. If not, ship your bike to a bike shop and pick it up. Personally, I’d just ride it or rent a car.
Old 10-17-18, 10:19 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I live and ride my bike in San Francisco. First off, there aren’t a million people in San Francisco, let alone a million cars! Second, there are many bike routes throughout the city. Third, going from north of San Francisco to the south of San Francisco will involve buses from, at least, 3 different counties. Finally, San Francisco is a nice city to ride a bike through, if you know the best way.

I’ve mapped the route I take from the GG Bridge to Ocean Beach, where you pick up the ACA route. You can see it here: GG Bridge Alternative at Bikely.com .

If you’ve never been on the GG Bridge, there is a huge difference between riding a bicycle over it and going across on a bus. Do what you want, but I think it would be a shame to ride down the Pacific Coast and skip San Francisco.
Old 10-17-18, 10:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I haven't been there in 36 years but once you get over the Golden Gate it's really going to be like homey, with tourist traps and nice sites.
Old 10-18-18, 03:06 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
There were definitely multiple spots along the coast that were sketchier riding that SF. Once you ride along curvy hilly roads with hardly any shoulder and cars looking at the ocean rather than you flying past at 45mph, you’ll welcome the bike lanes all over the Very bike friendly city of SF, with light traffic never going over 25mph max, that is used to driving with cyclists. Hell, there are enough paths you could probably practically avoid the streets most of the way of it were that much of a concern. As mentioned, you can be through SF very quickly if you wish, though I’d argue that you shouldn’t unless you just hate being around people. I’d recommend at least stopljng at the Japanese gardens there. They’re Really cool.
Old 10-18-18, 10:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
Greyhound runs from Santa Rosa to Santa Cruz. Bicycles as luggage policy.

Uber from Sausalito to Linda Mar is estimated $50~$175.

Hmm. Up and over Fairfax-Bolinas Rd. to Center Blvd. Bike lane/parallel street to Sir Francis Drake Blvd., bike lane to start of Corte Madera Creek bike path. That will eventually lead you to the ferry terminal in Larkspur. Ferry from Larkspur to the Embarcadero, Muni 14R to Daly City, SamTrans 110 to Pacifica, SamTrans 17 to Half Moon Bay? Buses seem to have bike racks.

Last edited by tcs; 10-18-18 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 04:07 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
OP probably wants to avoid cow patties, at the Cow Palace. 😉
Old 10-18-18, 05:41 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Expedia gives me a $58 cost for a one-way car rental from the Santa Rosa airport to the Monterey airport.
Old 10-18-18, 08:43 PM
curbtender

Originally Posted by stardognine
OP probably wants to avoid cow patties, at the Cow Palace. 😉
Yes, I take it for granted riding here. Pretty awesome in fact. I'm more disturbed by motor homes and logging trucks.
Old 10-18-18, 11:53 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You could turn inland at the Russian River and either pick up a bus in Santa Rosa or ride over the hill to Napa and then roll around lake Berryessa and then along through Davis and on into Sacramento (train station is easily reached without any traffic issues typical of a real city). Take the San Joaquin train south out of Sacramento and get off at someplace like Merced and cross the valley and coast range back over to Salinas. You might consider finding a place to leave your bike behind in Merced and take the tourist bus into Yosemite Valley for a day or two of sauntering, if that's something that interests you.

Depending on what time of year, you might not enjoy the contrast of temperature between the coast and the valley. In summer, it can be in the low 50's along the coast but well over 100F in the valley.

Alternatively, catch the ferry out of Larkspur Landing, take it to the SF Ferry building, then catch another ferry over to Oakland. From there, get on the Amtrak Capital Corridor (self-serve roll-on bike) and ride on down to San Jose and then find a way back over the hills to the coast. (Sorry, I really don't know the south bay well enough to advise.)

Like others have said, it seems like a lot of trouble, but if you really just dread riding in a certain place, it can make a trip much more enjoyable to know you have a way of avoiding it. I happen to like ferries and Yosemite more than I like SF, but I'm not sure I would detour quite so far out for the pleasure.
Old 10-19-18, 07:19 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by curbtender
Yes, I take it for granted riding here. Pretty awesome in fact. I'm more disturbed by motor homes and logging trucks.
And how many logging trucks have you seen rolling through San Fransisco?
Old 10-19-18, 09:31 AM
curbtender

Originally Posted by spinnaker
And how many logging trucks have you seen rolling through San Fransisco?
Actually, with all the fires, quite a few. They've been harvesting the burn areas and the port in Richmond was turning into a big lumber yard. But was talking about the overlength vehicles out on the winding backroads. Not that big of a deal either, just saying...

Last edited by curbtender; 10-19-18 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 10:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Following on 21st post, If you want, The Napa Valley is nice.. (I grew up there)
if you continue south and either :
use the road across the north bay , you can rejoin a bike path that follows 101
Thru Marin county, and will put you back on the GG bridge,

Or at Vallejo , there is a commuter ferry running between it and a ferry slip on fisherman's wharf..

Old 10-24-18, 02:18 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I got the 65 from Fort Brag to San Francisco, 14r from the wino district, er I mean 14th and Mission to Daly city, than the 110 to linda Vista, then the 18 to Half Moon Bay.
glad to have missed all that traffic, cars passing close enough to touch etc.

Now there is a shoulder on the road again.
Glad to be in the country side again.

this is more appealing than a concert jungle surrounding me

Is bike touring about getting too cities, or away from them?

I hiked in the Pasayaten Wilderness for couple of weeks, and spent my days walking up creeks taking photos of water falls.

What sounds better,
looking for wild blueberries, or looking for a restaurant without a line?

Last edited by chrisx; 10-24-18 at 02:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.