Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire recommendations for CAAD12

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire recommendations for CAAD12

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 03:59 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
You want the best you got to pay for the best.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/v...NjQ2F0MTAwMDc1
Old 10-20-18, 04:03 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Please elaborate on why these tires might be a good solution for me.

Originally Posted by Lazyass
You want the best you got to pay for the best.

Old 10-20-18, 04:04 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
yeah they are pretty awesome. I also like the old school gumwall. Reminds me of the good ol' days. What's old is new again.
A good look is just a good look. 320TPI...uber flexible shell.
Yup, get what you pay for.
Old 10-20-18, 04:28 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Robert A
Please elaborate on why these tires might be a good solution for me.
Well look at the specs. 320tpi handmade cotton casing. It's an open tubular. Doesn't get any more supple than that. Unless you're just set on a 28c, look at the Open Corsa CX, CC has them in 25c for a killer price. I've gone through two pairs and not one puncture. They don't show it but it has a PRB 2.0 protective belt. Mine measure 26mm on some narrow rims. The Road Bike Review test measured them at 28mm.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/vittoria-open-corsa-evo-cx-iii?skidn=VIT0090-BK-S23C&ti=UExQIENhdDpSb2FkIEJpa2UgQ2xpbmNoZXIgVGlyZXM6MTozOmNjQ2F0MTAwMDc1

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...sa-cx-iii-2014
Old 10-20-18, 04:51 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
I know what tubulars are, but have never heard the term "open tubular" before. What does this mean?
Well look at the specs. 320tpi handmade cotton casing. It's an open tubular. Doesn't get any more supple than that. Unless you're just set on a 28c, look at the Open Corsa CX, CC has them in 25c for a killer price. I've gone through two pairs and not one puncture. They don't show it but it has a PRB 2.0 protective belt. Mine measure 26mm on some narrow rims. The Road Bike Review test measured them at 28mm.

Old 10-20-18, 05:03 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Robert A
I know what tubulars are, but have never heard the term "open tubular" before. What does this mean?
They're constructed the exact same way a tubular is but instead of being sewn with a tube inside that attach beads. They don't have a sidewall, when they're new they come completely flat.

Open tubular is a type of clincher tyre that uses the unique construction method of high-end tubulars. Vittoria open tubulars have exactly the same production process and properties as the tubular, except for the sown-in inner tube. Open are handmade with aramid folding bead for optimal fit on the rim.

https://www.vittoria.com/us/road-tire
Old 10-20-18, 05:24 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
They're constructed the exact same way a tubular is but instead of being sewn with a tube inside that attach beads. They don't have a sidewall, when they're new they come completely flat.

Open tubular is a type of clincher tyre that uses the unique construction method of high-end tubulars. Vittoria open tubulars have exactly the same production process and properties as the tubular, except for the sown-in inner tube. Open are handmade with aramid folding bead for optimal fit on the rim.

https://www.vittoria.com/us/road-tire
These are a nice supple tyre but they are not any faster than a GP4000, cost more, and not as durable.
If you look on a forum like "Slowtwitch" where the triathletes really obsess about what is fastest I don't think you will find any recommendations for a Corsa CX.
Old 10-20-18, 05:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts

I've been using the Corsa Controls for the past month; not sure if you're recommending these or the CX tires..
2 flats in this first month. Verdict is still out for me. First flat was a tire radial belt wire.. and I kinda think those will flat almost any tire. 2nd one, not sure what it was but it was a pinhole sized tube puncture, and found about a 2mm gash in the bead of the tire.

I do like how they ride (coming from Mich Pro4 Endurances), and after initial install which was a wee bit difficult, subsequent installs on my rims have been super easy. Always nice to have easy tube changes on the road.

Probikeit has the best Vittoria pricing fyi..
Old 10-20-18, 05:52 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Dean V
These are a nice supple tyre but they are not any faster than a GP4000, cost more, and not as durable.
If you look on a forum like "Slowtwitch" where the triathletes really obsess about what is fastest I don't think you will find any recommendations for a Corsa CX.
Neither tire will make either one of us faster or slower. I didn't compare it to the GP4000 or anything else. I have them, I love them so I posted it up. I've never ridden the GP4000 so I won't comment on it. I suspect you've never owned the CX. And for $34.95 I'll take it over the Conti any day.
Old 10-20-18, 06:24 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Neither tire will make either one of us faster or slower. I didn't compare it to the GP4000 or anything else. I have them, I love them so I posted it up. I've never ridden the GP4000 so I won't comment on it. I suspect you've never owned the CX. And for $34.95 I'll take it over the Conti any day.
I have had quite a few Corsa CX tyres in open and tubular form.
Old 10-20-18, 06:31 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Dean V
I have had quite a few Corsa CX tyres in open and tubular form.
And if you've had a GP4000 you didn't ride any faster. The test I posted a link to actually compares it to the Conti, read the end of the article. The difference in rolling resistance is less than one watt, and the author admits he was surprised because every other test he's seen had the CX ahead. It also outperformed the Conti in the puncture test. They're basically very equal tires but you can get the CX for almost half the price. I'm not too interested with what recreational triathletes say because the pro's are on tubulars anyway.
Old 10-20-18, 06:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
They're basically very equal tires but you can get the CX for almost half the price.
The GP4000s are regularly available for 30-35 dollars.
Old 10-20-18, 07:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'd recommend trying a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro G+. They are supple and forgiving with a beautiful ride and have reasonable flat protection. These tires can be pushed hard by ordinary riders and will make you feel like you are a pro. They won't suddenly slip out on you but are very predictable.

They can be found at around $37 each. Less if you are persistent in looking.

-Tim-
Old 10-20-18, 07:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I've been using the Corsa Controls for the past month; not sure if you're recommending these or the CX tires..
2 flats in this first month. Verdict is still out for me. First flat was a tire radial belt wire.. and I kinda think those will flat almost any tire. 2nd one, not sure what it was but it was a pinhole sized tube puncture, and found about a 2mm gash in the bead of the tire.

I do like how they ride (coming from Mich Pro4 Endurances), and after initial install which was a wee bit difficult, subsequent installs on my rims have been super easy. Always nice to have easy tube changes on the road.
This is my experience with the regular Corsa G+.

Nice ride and easy install but I had 2 flats in less than 450 miles. Both times were tiny, almost microscopic pieces of glass which had to be located with magnifying glass and removed with tweezers. Others I ride with have said the same, that they tend to pick up every little bit of debris.

I also feel like 252 grams each is a bit heavy given the price and I went back to Rubino G+ Speed which are 198 grams each.

-Tim-
Old 10-20-18, 07:25 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I've rode on the Continental 4000 IIs's and the Michelin Power Competition and Endurance. I had problems with the Continentals with sidewall flats. I had 2K miles on the Micheline Power Endurance and then I hit a screw that ruined the tire. I am currently on the Michelin Power Competitions and they run as smooth as the Conti's and I've had better luck with side wall problems.
Old 10-20-18, 08:11 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Tires are largely personal preference OP. Most have their favorites. For example, I have had great luck on Vittoria Rubio Pros with 150TPI. Fast, great puncture resistance, good durability and not too pricey. Great training tire. There are 'slightly' faster tires out there but have other trade offs.

Many believe there is some side wall integrity sacrifice for the rolling resistance of the Conti GP4000's. Many have had issues with side wall blow outs with them. Go out on the web. You don't read about this with Vittoria, or Michelins. I find Michelins also to be great tires but they seem to wear quickly.

No free lunch. I like Vittorias because of the ten's of thousands of miles I have gone on them with relatively low punctures, good durability and a relatively fast and durable training clincher that you can pick up for less than $40/tire.
Sadly, the Rubino PRO III has been discontinued.
Old 10-22-18, 08:04 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the Vittoria Open Corsa CX a regular clincher that requires an inner tube?
Old 10-22-18, 08:55 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Pilot321
Is the Vittoria Open Corsa CX a regular clincher that requires an inner tube?
Yes. The term "open tubular" confuses a lot of people but they are clinchers. It's a tubular tire that's left "open" and has beads attached to mount on a clincher rim instead of being sewn together.

Old 10-22-18, 09:05 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. The term "open tubular" confuses a lot of people but they are clinchers. It's a tubular tire that's left "open" and has beads attached to mount on a clincher rim instead of being sewn together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjizyLVnuq8
Thanks. I thought so, but wasn't sure. I'm just getting back into road biking, so looking for some good training tires for when I need to replace mine. I am leaning towards to Corsa CX, or Conti GP4000.