Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cold weather gloves

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Cold weather gloves

Old 02-07-19, 08:36 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Cold weather gloves

It has been quite cold in the L.A. area (at least cold for us). It has been 33 degrees the last two mornings. What gloves do you folks who live on cold climates wear to keep your hands warm? I have good lobster gloves, but they don't get close to keeping my hands warm. My hands start to hurt after about ten minutes, and are almost completely numb after an hour. I have tried the hand warmers you can put inside your gloves, but that has not been successful for me. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 02-08-19, 07:26 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
As wih anything, these may still not be enough for you, however, they work for me down to -15 actual, or like last night -7 actual with a windchill of -30. Since I'm on a fat bike this time of year, the thumb is all I need for shifting anyway, and this odd mitten/pinky combo seems to give me all the dexterity I need. https://www.doversaddlery.com/herita...en/p/X1-39170/
Old 02-08-19, 07:59 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
It has been quite cold in the L.A. area (at least cold for us). It has been 33 degrees the last two mornings. What gloves do you folks who live on cold climates wear to keep your hands warm? I have good lobster gloves, but they don't get close to keeping my hands warm. My hands start to hurt after about ten minutes, and are almost completely numb after an hour. I have tried the hand warmers you can put inside your gloves, but that has not been successful for me. Any ideas are appreciated.
I have had good experience with the Bontrager Windshell gloves with Profila. They are warm enough for me down to about 25. They block the wind. They are somewhat water resistant. They come in colors such as black or "victory yellow."

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/bontrager-circuit-windshell-gloves-222832-1.htm?variations=133287,133297&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4sfn7aWs4AIVAlYMCh3oVQ9xEAQYBCABEgJEYfD_BwE
Old 02-08-19, 08:09 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I live in basically the same area and climate (it's inexplicably 30º outside right now) and have zero complaints about these: Seirus Innovation 1810 Men's All-Weather Polartec Glove. Good at least into the 30s.

Also available as REI, but I had to go with Amazon as my REI didn't have them in XXL. If you need the big size, you're in luck-- they're like 16 bucks on Amazon right now.
Old 02-08-19, 09:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
if cycling specific lobster gloves are not cutting it for you, then I'd like to mention bar mitts

rode for 3 hrs at 33 degrees & rain. took my gloves off for the last hour cuz I use bar mitts. was only using thin windstopper type gloves before taking them off. recently rode in the 20s with typical cycling winter gloves but switched to some lighter football fan gloves. bar mitts are ugly, I admit but I accept them cuz they are sport specific. I have them for both my straight & drop bar bikes. they are great cuz they block the wind & provide shelter from the rain. easy on, easy off, not a long term commitment. not expensive either

awesome in the rain

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-04-19 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-08-19, 09:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I can't imagine your hands getting cold in "good lobster gloves" at 33 degrees, unless they're simply too heavy and you're saturating them in sweat. I've got a pair of cheap Nashbar lobsters, about 10 years old, that are too heavy above freezing, and another pair of PIs that are too heavy above 20F.

I picked up a pair of Specialized Element gloves this year that have been great, for me, in the 30s. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/el...=237098-157032 Availability could be problematic, since Specialized apparently doesn't allow mail order, and I can't imagine an LBS in LA stocking them.

Is the rest of your outfit enough to keep you warm? Good base layer/jersey/jacket, tights, warm socks, cap or balaclava? You may just be feeling the cold in your hands first.
Old 02-11-19, 10:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Since you don't get cold weather often, you may not know that many of us make a point of wiggling our fingers frequently to warm them up. I discovered this recently, and it helps a lot. Also, if they start to get painful, stop the bike and find a warm place to put them such as inside your jacket or in your arm pits. Then continue rolling.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-12-19, 06:28 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
+999999 on bay mitts. The rockbros version on ebay is very affordable.
In past lobster gloves and everything else - bar mitts are a different league.
Old 02-12-19, 06:31 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
have u tried to use the lobster gloves with a thin pair of liners either wool or showers pass maybe I live in NYC area and most of the colder version gloves never work alone for me
Old 02-12-19, 06:35 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
mo
Old 02-13-19, 08:01 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
have tried the hand warmers you can put inside your gloves, but that has not been successful for me.
I would suggest that thousands use warmers successfully every day. I use them very frequently and perhaps you are not using them correctly.

There are gloves made with warmer pockets. Outdoor Research Versaliner are an example. Paired with a windproof goretex shell and using warmers, your hands will be toasty all day long.
Old 02-13-19, 08:23 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Merino Wool liner glove with a fleece glove over the top. Thank me later.

https://www.amazon.com/SmartWool-Lin...no+wool+gloves

https://www.amazon.com/Fleece-Gloves...=fleece+gloves
Old 02-13-19, 08:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Y'all need to go back and check the OP's location. He lives in SoCal. No bar mitts, no lobster gloves, no chemical hand warmers. That's all insane. I live further inland where it gets a bit colder, and I have need of none of those things. Out of 29 rides in 2019, I've had to wear full-fingers maybe six times and my tights twice. The guy needs a basic pair of lined windproof gloves, and they shouldn't cost a fortune, because they will sit in a drawer for about 10 months out of the year.
Old 02-13-19, 10:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Y'all need to go back and check the OP's location. He lives in SoCal. No bar mitts, no lobster gloves, no chemical hand warmers. That's all insane. I live further inland where it gets a bit colder, and I have need of none of those things. Out of 29 rides in 2019, I've had to wear full-fingers maybe six times and my tights twice. The guy needs a basic pair of lined windproof gloves, and they shouldn't cost a fortune, because they will sit in a drawer for about 10 months out of the year.
There's some variability between individuals' sensitivity to cold, but yeah. That his hands were getting cold in lobster gloves after 10 minutes made me think OP needs to look at the rest of his outfit. Tights, a good jacket and warm skull cap should keep the rest of the body warm, and if the rest of the body's warm, the hands will feel warm.
Old 02-13-19, 03:15 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Since you don't get cold weather often, you may not know that many of us make a point of wiggling our fingers frequently to warm them up. I discovered this recently, and it helps a lot. Also, if they start to get painful, stop the bike and find a warm place to put them such as inside your jacket or in your arm pits. Then continue rolling.
Another thing that might work is swinging your outstretched arms in big circles, the centrifugal force will push blood into your fingers.
Old 02-13-19, 03:28 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
BLACK DIAMOND WIND STOPPERS-They're light and flexible, windproof, and I've used them for everything from sky diving to snowmobiling to skiing. I use them when I ride here on the coast and never have a problem with cold fingers well below freezing temps. I have full leather biker's gloves too, but not for a bicycle. I mean really? The Black Diamond are light and flexible. I swear by them.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...or-versaliner/
Second picture down when it loads.

Last edited by Bigbus; 02-13-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 04:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Another thing that might work is swinging your outstretched arms in big circles, the centrifugal force will push blood into your fingers.
That's brilliant. I hope to remember that. Never heard of it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-14-19, 07:53 AM
Travolta709

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have purchased this gloves by HiCool a week ago. Pretty nice model. continue testing...
Old 02-14-19, 10:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Generic Ski gloves are cheap.. an important factor when you lose one..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-14-19 at 10:21 AM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 02-14-19, 02:42 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
That's brilliant. I hope to remember that. Never heard of it.
I spent a winter in North Dakota, a lot of it outside.
Old 04-27-19, 11:03 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Great tip, thank you!

My experience is, it’s not only about finding that ‘perfect’ superglove. Size is important too.

Another tip is to have your hands warm before you put the gloves on before your ride.
(You could wear a thin liner indoors and warm your gloves up there.)
Old 10-04-19, 10:30 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Great tip, thank you!

My experience is, it’s not only about finding that ‘perfect’ superglove. Size is important too.

Another tip is to have your hands warm before you put the gloves on before your ride.
(You could wear a thin liner indoors and warm your gloves up there.)
I was looking at this thread because I'm looking for some as well and whilst I haven't found "the perfect" glove with the ones I am using have found having your hands warm before you start makes a lot of difference and along with making sure you're gloves are warm as well so when I remember I put mine on the radiator 10 mins before I go out.
Old 10-04-19, 11:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Perl Izumi cycling specific winter cycling gloves

Perl Izumi cycling specific split finger (aka lobster) gloves

pretty awesome

winter cycling gloves AND barmitts (a bit overkill)

chemical hand warmers in barmitts!
Old 10-04-19, 01:20 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
I have cold hands and have tried just about every combination of gloves over the years. I have a drawer full of different types of gloves.

My best results have been when layering:

First layer: glove liner

Second layer: standard bike glove

Third layer: wind shell glove

These layers can be shed easily as the temperature rises, and they are small enough to stow in a jersey pocket.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-04-19, 04:14 PM
rumrunn6

Smart I find my hands warm up but my toes do not

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.