Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is Daily Best?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is Daily Best?

Old 06-16-19, 06:47 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Is Daily Best?

These days, I'm riding four to five miles most days, but it gets boring. Would it affect my health and fitness if I rode eight or ten miles every other day instead? Fifteen every third day?
Old 06-16-19, 08:33 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by TricycleTom
These days, I'm riding four to five miles most days, but it gets boring. Would it affect my health and fitness if I rode eight or ten miles every other day instead? Fifteen every third day?
I generally I hate this old cliche, but in this case I feel it is apt. Everybody's different, so it really depends on your health and level of fitness.

Just always keep in mind that you grow/recuperate best when you're resting. So if you train everyday, how will your body ever get a change to grow?
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 06-16-19, 09:00 PM
TricycleTom

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I generally I hate this old cliche, but in this case I feel it is apt. Everybody's different, so it really depends on your health and level of fitness.

Just always keep in mind that you grow/recuperate best when you're resting. So if you train everyday, how will your body ever get a change to grow?
I have read about alternate days, and interval training, but am only out for fitness, not competition. I was a commuter for decades, and used to consider the first week of a tour the extra training. When I do take a day off for rain or special events, my legs have always felt a bit tight, as if they are packed with unburned fuel. Is that usual? I don't want to find out my ultimate heart rate the hard way, so I don't do hard sprints. I can get some idea of my fitness by average speeds, but the last formal training I did was to turn around a bit farther each day, which got time-consuming.
Old 06-16-19, 09:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I have read about alternate days, and interval training, but am only out for fitness, not competition. I was a commuter for decades, and used to consider the first week of a tour the extra training. When I do take a day off for rain or special events, my legs have always felt a bit tight, as if they are packed with unburned fuel. Is that usual? I don't want to find out my ultimate heart rate the hard way, so I don't do hard sprints. I can get some idea of my fitness by average speeds, but the last formal training I did was to turn around a bit farther each day, which got time-consuming.
Not for me. But it isn't unburned fuel. I don't see how you could ever accomplish that. Rather, I see it as how I can tell my workout was productive. I get that feeling when I'm regenerating after a grueling anaerobic session. That's where I apply those terms.

I've learned to recognize this because the next time I train, I always do better than before. Your body can only do that when you rest completely. Otherwise, it will never shutdown all the way since you're putting a constant demand for training. Like trying to repair an engine while its still running -- you can only do so much maintenance.

However, for you I can't answer that question because there's too many variables. But even if I knew them all, its still way out of my league.

I know a bit about anaerobic training, but I cycle for general health and recreation. I've never been a competitive cyclist, so learning more about how that works is one reason why I'm here.
Old 06-16-19, 10:28 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,850 Posts
A few points, though I agree with the post above that everybody is different.

1. Do you really try to ride every day (weather days excepted)? A peppering of rest days, planned or unplanned, are important. I doubt anybody gets more fitness from 7 days of riding than they get from 5. Probably they get less. Recovery is part of fitness.

2. Boredom? Vary things. Don't do the same route every time. Don't ride with the same energy - give yourself easier days and harder days, whether that be speed or distance or route. If this strategy requires some tiring efforts, take the next day off.

3. There is a minimum number of days/week you should exercise to receive a real benefit. That number is something close to 4. For me the sweet spot is 5 days of riding/week and for some it could be 3, though I sort of doubt it. But it's almost certainly not 1 or 2.
Old 06-17-19, 09:49 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I think all of those options are pretty much the same in terms of health an fitness.

My belief is that the key to exercise making a difference (particularly as we get older) is consistency. Ditch the weekend warrioring and do at least a little exercise every day.

I do 35 miles or so most weekdays. There might come a time when that becomes a problem for me, but for now at least, that puts down a pretty good base of conditioning that doesn't disappear quickly.

Old 06-17-19, 09:53 AM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I'm 73 and limit my rides to every other day, with a rest day in between. My rides average low to mid 20 miles and, with at least one break, average 2 hours. Even so, on those occasions where I'm forced to take an extra day off (rain, etc.) I do feel stronger on that third day. Could just be anticipation but my (Strava) times usually reflect improvement with two days off.
Old 06-17-19, 11:33 AM
TricycleTom

Originally Posted by Sapperc
Not sure what your fitness goals are or your overall health and ability to exercise, but for those able to exercise without undue restrictions the most modest fitness guidelines recommend moderate to heavy exercise for at least 45 minutes a minimum of 3 times a week along with a healthy diet and otherwise active lifestyle for a long and heathy life. So basically, all things in moderation. Any activity is better than none at all, but the routines you have suggested are unlikely to improve your health unless you are in recovery of some sort. Sounds like you are not particularly interested in cycling though, so you might want to try some other activities that might spark your interest and that you will be more likely to pursue with enthusiasm.

Best wishes and good luck!
45 X 3 = 135 minutes, and I'm getting 7 X 25 = 175 minutes. I'm 6' 1'' X 175 lbs, and vegan, after 50 years of vegetarian. My bike has over 100,000 km on it. It is the only exercise that does not bore me to tears, because it used to be of practical value. I live at a crossroads, and ride into the wind and back. I'm lucky that three directions have moderate scenery. My father died young with heart trouble from unaccustomed exercise, while my mother was a ranked smimmer into her 80s.
My goals are to avoid depression and to stay spry and healthy enough for handyman work as needed. Pete Seeger was still splitting firewood two weeks before moving on. Overall, though, I agree with the philosophy that the body is a handy way to get the head to meetings.
Old 06-17-19, 12:49 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
This is Bikeforums, so I recommend getting a new bike to bring some joy back into the riding. Saskatchewan has got to have some decent trails and going off road is never boring. 5 miles? Come on my vegan friend. Some one is likely to suggest that you eat more protein. (Kidding)
Old 06-17-19, 12:56 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

45 X 3 = 135 minutes, and I'm getting 7 X 25 = 175 minutes.
A larger number of 25 minute workouts don't give you the same benefit as a smaller number of 45 minute-hour workouts.
Old 06-17-19, 01:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Ride more.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-17-19, 01:37 PM
TricycleTom

Originally Posted by MinnMan
A larger number of 25 minute workouts don't give you the same benefit as a smaller number of 45 minute-hour workouts.
Thanks. For '17, I rode most days, but increased the distance 10% a week, and it ate into my other activities by fall. For variety, I do get winds. Sometimes they are so gusty I skip shifting and press on, and when I get a strong tailwind, I tend to sprint.
Old 06-17-19, 02:03 PM
MinnMan

Thanks. For '17, I rode most days, but increased the distance 10% a week, and it ate into my other activities by fall. For variety, I do get winds. Sometimes they are so gusty I skip shifting and press on, and when I get a strong tailwind, I tend to sprint.
Sure. Whatever works for you. But it's hard to see why you posted in the first place unless you were open to suggestions about doing something different.
Old 06-17-19, 02:11 PM
TricycleTom

Sure. Whatever works for you. But it's hard to see why you posted in the first place unless you were open to suggestions about doing something different.
Umm - I just decided to go to less-frequent, longer rides this year. Not different enough?
I'm off to the big city - no contact 'till tomorrow.
Old 06-17-19, 02:28 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8255 Post(s)
Liked 8,966 Times in 4,449 Posts
I second the idea of riding off-road. Weather isn't as much of a concern and it's fun and different. I'm 65 and a normal road ride for me starts at about 65 miles, 5 miles is barely a warm-up. Off-road trail riding and 10 miles can be enough, depending on terrain. When road riding gets old there's nothing like a fun mountain bike ride to make things fun again.

I definitely need my rest days, too.
Old 06-17-19, 06:33 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I ride every day weather and health permitting. I simply like riding every day. It is a great way to start my day.
Old 06-17-19, 06:46 PM
big john

Originally Posted by jskash
I ride every day weather and health permitting. I simply like riding every day. It is a great way to start my day.
One of the strongest riders I know rides every day he can, just did 50 some days in a row until his streak was broken. He does mountainous centuries and long rides at least 3 days per week. He is only 55, however.
Old 06-17-19, 07:36 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
One of the strongest riders I know rides every day he can, just did 50 some days in a row until his streak was broken. He does mountainous centuries and long rides at least 3 days per week. He is only 55, however.
I average between 18 and 20 miles a day and have never ridden more than 28 miles at one time. I did manage to ride every day in 2016 as I was healthy the entire year. Spinal stenosis and illness have kept me off of the bike about twenty days in 2018 and about 12 days this year.
Old 06-17-19, 11:13 PM
big john

Originally Posted by jskash
I average between 18 and 20 miles a day and have never ridden more than 28 miles at one time. I did manage to ride every day in 2016 as I was healthy the entire year. Spinal stenosis and illness have kept me off of the bike about twenty days in 2018 and about 12 days this year.
I've been a member of the San Fernando Valley Bicycle club for 30 years. If you feel like it you could join one of our short rides (25-30 miles) sometime. We have all levels of riders and meet at CSUN every Saturday and Sunday.
Old 06-18-19, 05:18 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
A few points, though I agree with the post above that everybody is different.

1. Do you really try to ride every day (weather days excepted)? A peppering of rest days, planned or unplanned, are important. I doubt anybody gets more fitness from 7 days of riding than they get from 5. Probably they get less. Recovery is part of fitness.

2. Boredom? Vary things. Don't do the same route every time. Don't ride with the same energy - give yourself easier days and harder days, whether that be speed or distance or route. If this strategy requires some tiring efforts, take the next day off.

3. There is a minimum number of days/week you should exercise to receive a real benefit. That number is something close to 4. For me the sweet spot is 5 days of riding/week and for some it could be 3, though I sort of doubt it. But it's almost certainly not 1 or 2.
In addition to the excellent advice from MinnMan, I'll add a few points on breaking up boredom. Diversify your cycling by doing the following;

One, or more, group rides a week.
One, or more, solo rides a week.
Two, or more, new routes a month.
Get a smart trainer for bad weather days
Use a smart trainer for interval training
Explore gravel or mountain biking.

Repeating the same routine will cause boredom. Explore the wide world of fitness cycling.
Old 06-18-19, 05:32 AM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
My belief is that the key to exercise making a difference (particularly as we get older) is consistency. Ditch the weekend warrioring and do at least a little exercise every day.
I agree. I don't ride as much as you but find I do better if I go everyday. I just ride harder or slower depending on how my body feels.
Old 06-18-19, 08:08 AM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
I recommend three times a week at twenty miles. I am no longer going long distance. I average about twenty a ride now .I was forced off my road bike two years ago by wrist issues and multiple surgeries on it.
I ride an upright touring bike with high bars.It weighs more than forty pounds with rack and a couple of bags on it. I ride into the wind starting out. Also ride uphill a lot ,as I live in Utah.I do thirty to thirty five several times a month. This keeps me strong and fit and I know my body and I could easily train up to longer distance if I want. I think you need to to make the time to do twenty miles three times a week.
I am 68 , retired and have no time issues.I enjoy the ride more than ever.
Old 06-18-19, 09:25 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by linnefaulk
I agree. I don't ride as much as you but find I do better if I go everyday. I just ride harder or slower depending on how my body feels.
That's it for me too. Some days I really feel like hammering it, and other days, I just take my time. Listen to the bod.

Old 06-18-19, 04:56 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Want to add that my three times a week recommendation was for the OP. I ride every other day myself . Three time a week at 20 miles per should maintain the level you are currently at.Soumds to me like you find cycling boring. I don’t think I myself could maintain a healthy weight at the miles you are riding.
Old 06-18-19, 05:53 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Ride more.
^this.

I’m 63 and I ride 17-20 miles per day weather permitting and I’d like to ride more. At 4-5 miles I am just starting to break a sweat.

I’m having a hard time understanding how 4-5 mile bike ride is gettin boring. If the OP is doing it to improve health and lose weight, then closely tracking exercise and food (there’s an app for that) or performance gives the feedback that things are happening.

I love the alone time. Sometimes I pick a topic that I’m going to think about for the whole ride and see if I can get to an answer or a plan. Or I listen to a podcast. Anyway you cut it, I can’t get to boring.
Likes For JohnJ80:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.