Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Road Shoes, Cleats, and Pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 02:20 PM
voz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As the title says, what are some good, cheap beginner footwear and accessories for road biking? I only have about $315 CAD (with tax). I found a pair of dnb Troika shoes for $65. Are they any good? I like the price on them . As for cleats and pedals, I have no idea where to begin and I don't even know what is compatible with what. Sorry for the newb questions I'm really new to this and have no one locally to ask.

The shoes - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod164188

Also, if I spend over $100 on that site I get $20 off (new member) and an additional (I believe) $20 if I spend over $150 (summer sale)

Thanks for your suggestions,
Voz
Old 08-16-19, 02:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
The road shoe you linked is designed to use the 3 bolt Look/SPD-L type cleat or 2 bolt SPD style. There are dozens of options from assorted manufacturers in either. If you are new to this and are not racing or such, the easiest clipless (such as the Shimano PD-M520) system to use might be the SPD system, which usually has a dual sided pedal engagement system. Thus you press down on either side of the pedal and the cleat engages. Road systems that use Look/SPD-L are single sided entry and require you to flip the pedal to engage. That only takes a little bit of practice but a dual sided is easier to learn.

Biggest issue with shoes you've never used is will they fit. As well you linked a UK dealer. If the shoe doesn't fit whats it going to cost to return ?. Thus it's usually better to head to a local bike shop that has a good selection to try on different shoes and you never know, they might have a deal on shoes/pedals. Note that if you have a wide foot you might want to think about Sidi, Lake and Shimano, who list wide in their selection. Specialized shoes also tend to run wide.
Old 08-16-19, 02:54 PM
voz

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The road shoe you linked is designed to use the 3 bolt Look/SPD-L type cleat or 2 bolt SPD style. There are dozens of options from assorted manufacturers in either. If you are new to this and are not racing or such, the easiest clipless (such as the Shimano PD-M520) system to use might be the SPD system, which usually has a dual sided pedal engagement system. Thus you press down on either side of the pedal and the cleat engages. Road systems that use Look/SPD-L are single sided entry and require you to flip the pedal to engage. That only takes a little bit of practice but a dual sided is easier to learn.

Biggest issue with shoes you've never used is will they fit. As well you linked a UK dealer. If the shoe doesn't fit whats it going to cost to return ?. Thus it's usually better to head to a local bike shop that has a good selection to try on different shoes and you never know, they might have a deal on shoes/pedals. Note that if you have a wide foot you might want to think about Sidi, Lake and Shimano, who list wide in their selection. Specialized shoes also tend to run wide.
Thanks for the information. I didn't even realize that chainreactioncycles was British somehow. As for compatibility, I read somewhere that Shimano cleats only work with Shimano pedals? Is this true? What about with shoes?
Old 08-16-19, 03:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by voz
I read somewhere that Shimano cleats only work with Shimano pedals? Is this true?
No, there are many brands of pedals that are compatible with Shimano-style cleats. If the pedal says it's SPD or SPD-SL compatible, then it will work with a Shimano cleat. The other main cleat styles are Look Delta and Look Keo, both of which have the same 3-hole triangular bolt pattern as SPD-SL.

Originally Posted by voz
What about with shoes?
Shoes are pretty much compatible. If the shoe has a 3-hole triangle of holes, you can mount any SPD-SL or Look Delta/Keo style cleat. If the shoe has two lengthwise slots with a mounting plate underneath, you can mount an SPD cleat.

As another person mentioned above, if this is your first time using cleats and clip-in pedals, it's best to start out with SPD. They are easier to get in and out of.

Old 08-16-19, 03:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
That shoe can accept either type of cleat. Notice the five bolt holes.

I like SPD a lot. There are mountain shoes which have extra sole material to make the cleats recessed. I recommend this, as it makes walking easy. I have a pair that I can wear while hiking in the woods. There are many shoes designed for SPD cleats, and there are many pedals, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-20-19, 08:26 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
I waffled between the two styles and got the Shimano SPD pedals and the SH56 multi release cleats. Went on my first clipless ride today and felt good about this option. Also went with the mountain bike style shoe which is comfortable to walk in.
Old 08-20-19, 09:05 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I have the 520 mentioned above. They are simple, cheap, and dual sided.

I use a pair of mountain bike shoes with my road bike, a Trek Domane. I'm clearly not biking for maximum speed, but that's fine. Especially because I do a lot of my riding indoors on the turbo trainer. (At least in the summer).

I have a power meter (left crank) and I'm more concerned with power output than how fast I can go.
Old 08-21-19, 10:01 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by voz
As the title says, what are some good, cheap beginner footwear and accessories for road biking? I only have about $315 CAD (with tax). I found a pair of dnb Troika shoes for $65. Are they any good? I like the price on them . As for cleats and pedals, I have no idea where to begin and I don't even know what is compatible with what. Sorry for the newb questions I'm really new to this and have no one locally to ask.

The shoes - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod164188

Also, if I spend over $100 on that site I get $20 off (new member) and an additional (I believe) $20 if I spend over $150 (summer sale)

Thanks for your suggestions,
Voz
Buying shoes online is a real crapshoot, since you are in Canada why not check out MEC?
Some decent shoes https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5057-2...-Cycling-Shoes
Look knock-off pedals https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5059-593/Road-Pedals

Well within your budget.
Old 08-22-19, 09:23 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I can only speak to my experience which may be very different from yours. I am sold on Speedplay Zeros and Frogs. After years of various shoes, the latest being Specialized Experts, I bought a pair of Sidi Kaos Air Carbon shoes. Totally awesome. Pretty sure not within the budget you listed but if you could somehow stretch I don't think you would be disappointed...assuming proper fit.