Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Silva frame pumps: repairable? replaceable.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-19, 03:57 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

My 1972 Paramount included a Silca pump, please see the pictures below. It doesn’t produce air pressure and the main tube has a nice sized chunk missing. Can it be replaced or repaired?

Old 08-18-19, 04:49 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
that missing chunk only serves to help retain the threaded piece that keeps the pump's piston from backing out of the cylinder. In my experience, it is often damaged by folks who misuse the pump and allow tire pressure to flow back into the pump and shoot the piston out of the back of the pump.

Regarding the lack of pump pressure, my first guess would be that the leather washer that seals the piston isn't reliably contacting the cylinder walls. It might need a bit of grease to get a good seal. Or, you might need to flex the washer a bit to bend the sides of the cup shape outwards a bit, allowing it to contact the cylinder wall better.

I wonder if there is a Silca pump FAQ somewhere?
edit: Silca has this video describing how to condition the leather washer. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it's a start....

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 08-18-19 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 04:52 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Depends on why its not supplying pressure. The air is going someplace. It may just need the leather piston seal re-greased...
It can be used as is, just don't pull back so far.
It can be badly repaired with duct tape and spray paint. just to keep the top on, it doesn't effectively improve pumping.
You can come across replacements, both used and NOS, paint as needed.
Eric

PS I have a couple NOS leather seals...

Last edited by Last ride 76; 08-19-19 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-19-19, 06:06 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Those leather seals are available, I got a couple off of eBay a couple of years back. IIRC, someone posted here that Silca, under the new ownership, was selling them again.
@Barrettscv, I am pretty certain that a Co-op would have some old main tubes, or even a few complete pumps that have other parts broken or trashed. The length of you existing main tube needs to be matched if its a frame fit model, I just sent my Silca to Grady (gomango,) and he fitted a longer tube from local Co-op to the workings so it would fit his frame.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13