Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with dynamos?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 02:15 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

Does anyone else notice that dynamos are a rare sighting while out riding? I just came from the bike shop where I dropped off a bike for service, and they indicated that they rarely see them. Is this because you lose a few watts? Just wondering why they aren't more popular for the convenience they offer.
Old 09-12-19, 02:29 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Kind of like asking why the nerds in high school weren't cool. Dynamos aren't cool.

Useful, absolutely. But who want useful when you could have cool?

(Me, for one!)
Old 09-12-19, 02:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by wsgts
Does anyone else notice that dynamos are a rare sighting while out riding? I just came from the bike shop where I dropped off a bike for service, and they indicated that they rarely see them. Is this because you lose a few watts? Just wondering why they aren't more popular for the convenience they offer.
I'm seeing more and more of them where I ride. They're the way to go IMO.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-12-19, 02:47 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
This depends heavily on where you live. Around here in the Netherlands I think I see them on about 50-60% of bikes.

Road (racing) bikes however rarely have them as the people who ride those hardly ever ride them after dark or in cold or wet weather.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 09-12-19, 02:54 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Not sure how they compare today's to the ones I remember, but they created a lot of drag when engaged. Other than that, I loved mine.
Old 09-12-19, 03:39 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

The other day when I stopped at the office, one of the other cyclist (mountain biker) came in and said that my lights were on-on my bike. I said it's ok, they are dynamo lights.

Then I had to explain what dynamo lights were, which he had never heard of.

Last edited by wsgts; 09-12-19 at 03:47 PM.
Likes For wsgts:
Old 09-12-19, 04:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
Regarding your title, nothing is wrong with them. But manufacturers do not install them because new buyers do not ask for them. Not even on touring bikes where a dynohub for battery charging is desired.

When I built up one of my touring bikes in 2013, I put a dynohub on it but that was mostly to be used for charging up batteries with a USB charger. Set it up with dynohub powered lighting but that was a secondary priority.

And when I built up another touring bike in 2017, put one on for the same reasons, primarily for charging up batteries but also for lighting.

When building up a new bike with a new wheel, the cost of a dynohub and subtracting the cost of a regular hub makes the additional cost for a dynohub on the bike quite low. But if you already have a bike with a non-dynohub wheel, the cost to put a dynohub on it is the cost of the hub, cost of spokes and nipples, possibly a wheel build charge, and if you decided to keep your old wheel as a back up then you are buying new rim and rim tape too. Thus to upgrade a bike that did not have a dynohub on it, you are likely paying two or three times as much for the dynohub wheel. That is a big enough cost that not many people go for it.

My last bike tour (five weeks in Canadian Maritimes a couple months ago), I used battery powered lighting. My dynohub was exclusively used for charging up batteries for my GPS, phone, taillights, camera, and headlamp (for my head). I also had a headlamp (for the bike) that was powered only by USB cable, could use it by plugging it into my powerbank, but never used the headlight on the bike for all five weeks.

I admit I am probably in the minority when it comes to those that tour with a dynohub, most use the hub for headlamps too. Prior to this year I used dyno powered headlamps when touring but since I almost never turned them on, I decided to just carry a strap on battery light instead for my most recent tour. My most recent tour was on a bike with S&S couplers so I have to disassemble the bike to ship it, installing dyno powered lighting on the bike is one more headache that I decided to avoid when I tour on that bike, that is why I did not install dyno powered lights on it.

If you are a commuter, it really makes sense to have it for lighting. But if you buy a bike without a dynohub on it, it is not cheap to add it and also add the lighting.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-12-19, 04:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Not sure how they compare today's to the ones I remember, but they created a lot of drag when engaged. Other than that, I loved mine.
So little drag that you can't tell when it is in use on the newest hubs. A good article on them was published in 2012, they concluded that the hub when turned on was equivalent to adding another 5 or 6 feet of elevation gain for every mile ridden.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...son-tests.html

If I am riding 15 miles an hour, then it takes me four minutes to go that mile, I will not notice if I had to exert in a minute enough energy to climb another foot and a half.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-12-19, 06:56 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
So little drag that you can't tell when it is in use on the newest hubs. A good article on them was published in 2012, they concluded that the hub when turned on was equivalent to adding another 5 or 6 feet of elevation gain for every mile ridden.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...son-tests.html

If I am riding 15 miles an hour, then it takes me four minutes to go that mile, I will not notice if I had to exert in a minute enough energy to climb another foot and a half.
Wow! They've come a long way from the one's available in the 70's that made a loud hum and created a substantial amount of drag. They were also cost prohibitive for the common man (or boy-me)
Old 09-12-19, 07:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Wow! They've come a long way from the one's available in the 70's that made a loud hum and created a substantial amount of drag. They were also cost prohibitive for the common man (or boy-me)
Dynohubs (not the old bottle dynos) are pretty sweet! It's very easy to forget that your lights are on during the day.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-13-19, 11:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Are you asking about sidewall dynamos or hub dynamos? Sidewall dynamos are nice because they're light and fairly easy to install, but the drag is noticeable. I haven't tried the latest ones which are not as bad as the old ones.

Hub dynamos are great, but once installed are fairly expensive. You either have to buy a wheel with the hub or have a hub built into a wheel for you. I'm lucky that I can build my own wheels. Wheel building labor is around $50 or $60, and spokes are expensive when they're not with a pre-built wheel. Then there is the time to wire everything up. It's not hard for me, but paying for shop labor, it would add up.

But once you have them, you wonder why you waited so long.

Hub dynamos produce so little friction, you really don't notice it. I leave my lights on all the time because it can't hurt and could save me by letting someone see me before they otherwise would.

Even still, I think a lot of the reason they're not common in many countries is that people don't know how good they are, and not seeing many hub dynamos, they are not going to find out.

But yes, they are increasing here, slowly. I get a nice smile or nod when a knowing person sees me with mine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-13-19, 06:38 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Even still, I think a lot of the reason they're not common in many countries is that people don't know how good they are, and not seeing many hub dynamos, they are not going to find out.

But yes, they are increasing here, slowly. I get a nice smile or nod when a knowing person sees me with mine.
Exactly. As you know, Tom, I've been searching around for just the right generator hub for my 1980 Raleigh Sports (I'm going to pass on the Nexus in the Gazelle; might even keep that bike intact), and it seems as if Google barely knows what a SRAM I-Light is, and even the Shimano hubs generally originate from Germany - where they seem to be popular and also appear to be required equipment that's policed - or Taiwan, where they originate.

I Googled the Shimano DH-3N31-NT manual during a search, and even that took me to the German Shimano page. Go figure.

-Kurt

Old 09-14-19, 07:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I emailed Intelligent Design Cycle who make inexpensive handbuilt wheels with dynamos built in. They may not have wheels to sell for a few months because of tariff and administrative difficulties.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 09-14-19, 07:54 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts

Nothing wrong with them. One reason we don't see many, At least here in Canada may be because they are not offered on many bikes. I would like to see it offered as an option, Or perhaps on 1 version of an existing line of bikes suited for them. Bikes one might use for touring for example.

Also with the introduction of LED lights and more efficient rechargeable batteries, We can install a very effective battery powered lighting system that is light and inexpensive. For most folks these work fine for commuting or recreation.
Old 09-14-19, 08:35 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I've had a dyno hub on my commuting bike for years. When I replaced it to move to drum brakes (with dyno), I sold the old dyno hub quickly. Once folks realize what an advantage they are they have to have one. I see bikes with them every day, but still comprise less than 5% of bikes.
Old 09-14-19, 12:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have a dynohub on all of my bikes. It was a great addition to my riding, i don't have to worry about getting home before dark or charging lights. I always had a bike with a dyno back in the '70s and '80s. One of the Soubetez with a built in headlight. They weren't as expensive as batteries back then, this was before the advent of affordable rechargeable batteries
Old 09-14-19, 02:25 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
A lot of riders just don't know about them. But then again I see too many cyclists who don't seem to know about lights. It's that time of year.
Old 09-14-19, 10:53 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
I'd venture to say that : (1) for commuters, rechargeable LEDs have become so cheap, convenient and efficient that there is no point riding with a dynohub. (2) For touring, there could be an argument that dynohubs are a must for long trips. In my experience however, they add a degree of inconvenience when flying -- I've had issues twice. Battery banks have become cheap, convenient and efficient, to the point that they are reasonable substitutes for dynohubs. When you consider the cost of a good dynohub/USB charger/wheel building, and that the watts you get from the dynohub are taken from the watts that propel you forward, the case for a dynohub doesn't look that good.
Old 09-15-19, 02:02 AM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Nothing is wrong with hub dynamos. Probably law requirements for bike lights are pretty easygoing were you live.

Here in germany estimated 95% of all city/touring bikes have a hub dyno (and before that every one had sidewall dynamo). But this was forced by law. Until a few years ago, every bike had to have approved bike lights, with a dynamo as power source, mounted 24/7. Only "race bikes with a weight less than 11 kg" were allowed to use battery lights, which were required to be at least in the bikers bag, even during a ride in bright daylight. Recent law changes removed the silly weight requirement and the need for a dynamo as power source. All bikes now must have lights mounted from dusk till dawn (or during a solar ecclipse..) only.

I agree, lights have become pretty cheap and bright, so the need for a dyno has lessened. However there are advantages of dynamo powered light over battery lights
1) you never have to think about whether your light is on the bike or not, you always have light
2) you never have to think about charging
3) Removable battery bike lights (left mounted on a bike standing still) tend to be stolen quickly
4) The newer generations of dyno powered bike lights (edelux, IQ-X, cyo premiums) provide fairly good light output.

Regarding hub dynamos:
The drag of a good hub dyno is not noticable when riding, a badly lubricated chain causes more drag. If you buy a new city/commuting bike, I'd always ask for hub dyno wheel. However, if you have to buy a new wheels, things become more expensive, unless you can build a wheel yourself (and use the exisiting rim).
There is a newer rim dynamo with efficiencies similar to the best hub dynos, however price wise with 150 Euros in a similar range: velogical rim dynamo

Last edited by polyphrast; 09-15-19 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-15-19, 10:18 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
It looks like hub dynamo's operate at about 50% efficiency, Which is pretty much what I would expect. That being the case if 4w out requires 8w in. That's about an 8% loss of power. But the way bikes and aerodynamics work that 8%loss in power might translate into about a 6% loss in speed. About 2.3 minutes on a 15 km commute at 25 kph I estimate. Even less at 3w. And with no load they operate nearly as efficiently as conventional hubs. At least a decent one.

Pretty darned impressive if you ask me.
Old 09-15-19, 10:54 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I think dynamos are awesome but I don't have one because:
  • much more expensive than alternatives
  • less powerful than battery lights
  • extra drag and weight
Old 09-15-19, 02:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
There are very few battery lights that have a beam that's as good as many dyno lights though. So much of the power is wasted.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-15-19, 07:05 PM
wsgts

I emailed Intelligent Design Cycle who make inexpensive handbuilt wheels with dynamos built in. They may not have wheels to sell for a few months because of tariff and administrative difficulties.
I have a set of their IDC Classy purchased before they ran into supply problems. Took my biggest tour to date coupled with a Sinewave Cycles Beacon, always had USB power during the day and unlimited headlight/taillight for the evening. It's the first set of wheels I have ever purchased that come out of the package perfect without the need to visit the shop for re-tensioning.

T

Last edited by wsgts; 09-15-19 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 07:06 PM
wsgts

Are you asking about sidewall dynamos or hub dynamos?
Certainly the hub dynamos, I haven't tried the bottle-type since I was a child (well before LEDs).
Old 09-15-19, 07:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by wsgts
I have a set of their IDC Classy purchased before they ran into supply problems. Took my biggest tour to date coupled with a Sinewave Cycles Beacon, always had USB power during the day and unlimited headlight/taillight for the evening. It's the first set of wheels I have ever purchased that come out of the package perfect without the need to visit the shop for re-tensioning.

T
I thought it was a pretty damned good value before I saw the quality of the wheels. I paid $95 for a front wheel with Sanyo dynamo. But it's a truly handbuilt wheel with good and even spoke tension, totally true. I hope they can make a comeback, even if it means raising their prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.