Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara 100

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Santa Barbara 100

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 11:37 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Santa Barbara 100

Anyone done this ride? The 100 miler has close to 9,000 ft of climbing. The 100 metric is about 7,000.
How is the Gibraltar Road climb, and how good is ride support throughout?

My only basis of comparison is the Solvang Century, which is around 6,500 feet spread over 100 miles. Thus, I'm more inclined to do the metric.

Last edited by Robert A; 09-22-19 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 11:24 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Looks interesting
Old 09-23-19, 11:36 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
the gibraltar rd climb is a beast and going to be harder than the entire solvang century. once you summit gibraltar, the road turns into east camino cielo and is arguably the most scenic road in socal.
watch your speed on the painted cave and old san marcos descents.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-23-19, 12:01 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Holy mother of all that is good, that Gibraltar ascent...
Old 09-23-19, 12:25 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I've never done Gibralter, have friends who have. Looking at it on Strava, 6.5 miles, average 7.75%. That's a tough one!
Old 09-23-19, 12:31 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Some years ago when I was staying in S.B., I went half way up Gibraltar just to reconnoiter and turned around b/c I didn't really have the time that day. The next day I returned, but did the climb in reverse (going up Painted Cave). It's hella hard, that's for sure. The roads were also really shabby at that time, but I've heard that Gibraltar was repaved recently?
Old 09-23-19, 01:09 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I've never done Gibralter, have friends who have. Looking at it on Strava, 6.5 miles, average 7.75%. That's a tough one!
I'm still weak on climbs (just got into cycling late May this year) so I have a ways to go for strength and conditioning. I know there's a 3000' stretch of 7% climb on one of my normal routes (so that's like 2/3 of a mile) and that one winds me. I can't imagine doing 9X that at my current conditioning level. Time to get stronger.
Old 09-23-19, 01:21 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
the gibraltar rd climb is a beast and going to be harder than the entire solvang century. once you summit gibraltar, the road turns into east camino cielo and is arguably the most scenic road in socal.
I love that Gibraltar Painted Cave loop. And it's a *****, for sure.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-23-19, 02:27 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
ooga-booga and I have discussed in person the beauty that is east camino cielo. Beautiful ridge road with ocean views on one side and the valley on the other.

Gibraltar is indeed a beast. At least if you do it during a supported ride there will be water. I did it without and it is tough. Baldy lifts is much harder, but no go payoff at the end, unlike Gibraltar.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 09-23-19, 11:43 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
ooga-booga and I have discussed in person the beauty that is east camino cielo. Beautiful ridge road with ocean views on one side and the valley on the other.

Gibraltar is indeed a beast. At least if you do it during a supported ride there will be water. I did it without and it is tough. Baldy lifts is much harder, but no go payoff at the end, unlike Gibraltar.

thinking i gotta do this again soon as it has been too long (like 2.5 years). you game tues, oct 8th or wed, oct 9th?

https://www.strava.com/routes/21911240

...or variation(s)?

Last edited by diphthong; 09-24-19 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-23-19, 11:52 PM
Robert A

What do you know about the 100KM Gibraltar Route? You still climb Gibralter, but lose east camino cielo.

Last edited by Robert A; 09-24-19 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-24-19, 12:49 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^as mentioned previously, gibraltar did get repaved about three years ago so it is good. when you are ascending at
6 mph, road quality is not as important tho. east camino cielo (ecc) is big time chip seal but i do not think you will notice
because the views will distract the hell out of you. i really only suffer gibraltar to ride ecc. personally...
no way i am dealing with gibraltar (and i like stupid hard/long climbs) without including the payoff of ecc. ascended
gibraltar once without riding the spine of ecc. it was like pizza without any toppings. pointless and only regrets.

if you head up from santa barbara from la semi-frequently, then you could blow off ecc w/the event ride and ride it another time.
park near the summit of hwy 154 and stagecoach rd and ride the undulating road east along ecc past gibraltar and
keep going along the ridge till the pavement runs out. turn around and head back. helluva ride, plenty of exercise and better than
anything you saw on gibraltar.

east camino cielo (ecc) and glendora mountain rd/glendora ridge rd (gmr/grr) are imho the best two scenic mountain roads in socal.
the more you experience them, the better.

dunno if you've got experience tackling long/hard climbs. if you don't, there are more than a few that i can recommend in la county
for comparable experiences.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-24-19 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-24-19, 07:25 AM
Robert A

dunno if you've got experience tackling long/hard climbs. if you don't, there are more than a few that i can recommend in la county
for comparable experiences.
I ride Santa Monica Mountains frequently -- typically 1000-2000' climbs - Topanga, Latigo, Mandeville, etc. Not a problem to put down 3000' in a morning ride.

Would love some suggestions where to train nearby. GMR is a little far.
Old 09-24-19, 07:43 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-24-19, 09:21 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I ride Santa Monica Mountains frequently -- typically 1000-2000' climbs - Topanga, Latigo, Mandeville, etc. Not a problem to put down 3000' in a morning ride.

Come farther into the Santa Monicas and you can do Latigo, Las Flores, Encinal, Stunt, Piuma, Mullholland (currently closed to cars!), Decker, Deer Creek, Yerba (currently being REPAVED!) and so on. All beautiful climbs and mostly traffic free.

Gibraltar is a hell of a climb. The average gradient is somewhat deceptive as it ramps up at the end and really punches you in the gut. Placement in the middle of a century will test your ability to pace yourself both before and during a long climb. Sounds like a good time.

Personally, I've done it twice. The first time was part of an organized ride, L'Etape with the TOC and Jensie and Fast Freddie Rodriguez were involved. We started in Westlake, went up Westlake blvd and down Mullholland to the beach and then all the way to SB and the top of Gibraltar. At the end of 80 miles, I can tell you, it was a death march to the top that day for me...

Here I am, (second in line), on PCH, stupidly hammering away, saving no energy for the gigantic mountain I was to climb later in the day...

Likes For goenrdoug:
Old 09-24-19, 01:27 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
Come farther into the Santa Monicas and you can do Latigo, Las Flores, Encinal, Stunt, Piuma, Mullholland (currently closed to cars!), Decker, Deer Creek, Yerba (currently being REPAVED!) and so on. All beautiful climbs and mostly traffic free.

Gibraltar is a hell of a climb. The average gradient is somewhat deceptive as it ramps up at the end and really punches you in the gut. Placement in the middle of a century will test your ability to pace yourself both before and during a long climb. Sounds like a good time.

Personally, I've done it twice. The first time was part of an organized ride, L'Etape with the TOC and Jensie and Fast Freddie Rodriguez were involved. We started in Westlake, went up Westlake blvd and down Mullholland to the beach and then all the way to SB and the top of Gibraltar. At the end of 80 miles, I can tell you, it was a death march to the top that day for me...

Here I am, (second in line), on PCH, stupidly hammering away, saving no energy for the gigantic mountain I was to climb later in the day...

wut. hell must have frozen over.
Old 09-24-19, 01:37 PM
goenrdoug

wut. hell must have frozen over.
Yep. It's already re-paved from the top of Little Sycamore to around circle-x from what I understand. They're also doing Cothrain.

P.S. Don't tell the motorcyclists.
Old 09-24-19, 01:52 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Robert A

it takes the pros about 30 minutes to ascend gibraltar. for mere mortals (riding a century with the big climb in the middle and still needing something left in the tank to
negotiate east camino cielo), plan on climbing for an hour and ten minutes or so. there will probably be a rest stop/support at the big switchback halfway up the climb
and one at the top of gibraltar.

the sammos are solid, but as goenrdoug said, the harder climbs like deer creek, decker, corral canyon, fernwood and las flores will do a better job of approximating the effort needed for gibraltar.
ascending piuma and stunt back to back might be your best bet since they're close to each other, have a decent length and (while not as steep as the previously mentioned climbs) will test the legs.
if you can climb las flores/rambla pacifico/schueren up to the scenic lookout on saddle peak rd, you can pretty much climb anything. gibraltar would be a treat after that.

sounds like you may be west side la. mt. wilson via ca hwy 2 is your closest longer climb. repeats on the north side of griffith park up to the saddle east of the hollywood sign would work.
also some of the streets to the west of the hollywood sign have some serious grade. gibraltar has some ramps/get out of the saddle moments on it so acclimating the legs to some steep grade
work will help.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-24-19 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 02:06 PM
Robert A

How is ride support on the SB100?
Old 09-24-19, 02:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
Yep. It's already re-paved from the top of Little Sycamore to around circle-x from what I understand. They're also doing Cothrain.

P.S. Don't tell the motorcyclists.
great news and i won't tell team ninja. promise.
Old 09-24-19, 02:37 PM
Tycho Brahe 

the sammos are solid, but as goenrdoug said, the harder climbs like deer creek, decker, corral canyon, fernwood and las flores will do a better job of approximating the effort needed for gibraltar.
This! If you want to replicate Gibraltar, you need to do the climbs on the above roads starting from the PCH. Decker and Deer Creek stand out to me.
Old 09-24-19, 02:40 PM
Tycho Brahe 

thinking i gotta do this again soon as it has been too long (like 2.5 years). you game tues, oct 8th or wed, oct 9th?

https://www.strava.com/routes/21911240

...or variation(s)?
Sounds good, however, as you can tell by my Strava runs, I am without a bike. Depending on the damage (derailleur), I hopefully will get it back on Thursday. I will try to keep one of those days open.
Old 09-24-19, 03:52 PM
goenrdoug

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
This! If you want to replicate Gibraltar, you need to do the climbs on the above roads starting from the PCH. Decker and Deer Creek stand out to me.
I'd say Corral is on par with Gibraltar, personally. If you're not ready for Corral, then start with Latigo -- all the length but with a bit of a breather at the 2/3rds point.
Old 09-24-19, 06:40 PM
Robert A

it takes the pros about 30 minutes to ascend gibraltar. for mere mortals (riding a century with the big climb in the middle and still needing something left in the tank to
negotiate east camino cielo), plan on climbing for an hour and ten minutes or so. there will probably be a rest stop/support at the big switchback halfway up the climb
and one at the top of gibraltar.

ascending piuma and stunt back to back might be your best bet since they're close to each other, have a decent length and (while not as steep as the previously mentioned climbs) will test the legs.
if you can climb las flores/rambla pacifico/schueren up to the scenic lookout on saddle peak rd, you can pretty much climb anything. gibraltar would be a treat after that.

sounds like you may be west side la. mt. wilson via ca hwy 2 is your closest longer climb. repeats on the north side of griffith park up to the saddle east of the hollywood sign would work.
also some of the streets to the west of the hollywood sign have some serious grade. gibraltar has some ramps/get out of the saddle moments on it so acclimating the legs to some steep grade
work will help.

Would love a Strava route for any of these.
Old 09-24-19, 07:30 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

piuma/stunt:

https://www.strava.com/routes/21925516

las flores/hume/rambla pacifico/schueren

https://www.strava.com/routes/21925473

deer creek

https://www.strava.com/routes/21927095

corral canyon

https://www.strava.com/routes/21927023

decker/ca hwy 23

https://www.strava.com/routes/219269

topanga cyn/ca hwy 27 + bonus trax

https://www.strava.com/routes/21926998

mt. wilson/ca hwy 2

https://www.strava.com/routes/21925544

to conquer gibraltar, you need a good mix of stamina, mental fortitude, "grinder" legs and out of the saddle legs.
the best thing about gibraltar is, except for a lower stretch, it does a good job of hiding the pain with all the wiggles and bends in the road.
keeps you guessing. much to be said about the mentality of "if i can just make it to the next curve/bend..."
most of our coastal climbs in the sammos and palos verdes peninsula area are 3 miles max. gibraltar is twice that. corral canyon is an exception.
you finish any combo of three above listed rides/climbs, gibraltar is yours for the taking.

you do the las flores route and everything else automatically becomes easier. forever.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-25-19 at 01:20 AM.
Likes For diphthong:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.