Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedal Extender Question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pedal Extender Question

Old 09-28-19, 03:03 PM
Hemstein

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedal Extender Question

I recently purchased Stamp 7 pedals. The spindle has an 8 mm allen key. I then bought 15 mm pedal extenders. The hole in the extenders is not large enough for the allen wrench to go through the extender and into the end of the spindle so I can then tighten the extender before installing on the crank. The extender has the usual flat spots for a pedal wrench.

Has anyone encountered this? There doesn't seem to be any other way to tighten the extender on the pedal spindle.

Is it possible to buy an extender with a larger diameter hole for the allen wrench?

thanks

Bucksnort
Old 09-28-19, 03:27 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
An 8 mm (or 11/32") drill bit should make the hole the right size.
Old 09-28-19, 03:39 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I must be missing something here I thought you install the extenders on the cranks with a regular open end wrench and then install the pedals on the extenders using an Allen wrench. What am I missing here? I'm old and easily confused, but this is troubling me.
Old 09-28-19, 03:44 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I must be missing something here I thought you install the extenders on the cranks with a regular open end wrench and then install the pedals on the extenders using an Allen wrench. What am I missing here? I'm old and easily confused, but this is troubling me.
The OP states "The hole in the extenders is not large enough for the allen wrench to go through the extender" So if the extenders are on or off of the crank he cannot tighten the pedals into the extenders.
So Hillrider's suggestion to enlarge the holes should work if the (presumably) steel has not been hardened.
Old 09-28-19, 03:48 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
The OP states "The hole in the extenders is not large enough for the allen wrench to go through the extender" So if the extenders are on or off of the crank he cannot tighten the pedals into the extenders.
So Hillrider's suggestion to enlarge the holes should work if the (presumably) steel has not been hardened.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, the pedals are tightened into the cranks from the frame side and not the outer side? Hence, the Allen wrench has to pass through the extenders to reach the pedal shaft.

Edit-I looked up the Stamp 7 pedals (they are biggies, aren't they?) and now I understand. Thank you dsbrantjr.
Old 09-28-19, 03:53 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
So if I'm understanding you correctly, the pedals are tightened into the cranks from the frame side and not the outer side? Hence, the Allen wrench has to pass through the extenders to reach the pedal shaft.
Yes, there are no wrench flats on the pedals. And just to add to the confusion, you have to turn the hex wrench counterclockwise on the drive side, and vice versa, as a result.
Old 09-28-19, 08:27 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Yes, there are no wrench flats on the pedals.
Shimano's XT-level MTB pedals also have no wrench flats but only an 8 mm hex socket on the crank end of the axles. They also require rethinking how to turn the wrench.
Old 09-28-19, 08:36 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Seems that some pedal extenders cannot be used with some pedals.
Old 09-29-19, 06:36 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
An 8 mm (or 11/32") drill bit should make the hole the right size.
Not quite. An 8 mm hex is measured flat face to flat face. You need a larger hole to fit the points of the hex. (Ask me how I know....)

These extenders have a large hole. In the questions section, they say a hex wrench will fit through them.
Old 09-30-19, 10:14 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Depending of your pedals, you may be able to grind a wrench flat. I did just that with a belt sander and some M785 pedals.
Old 09-30-19, 10:24 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Not quite. An 8 mm hex is measured flat face to flat face. You need a larger hole to fit the points of the hex. (Ask me how I know....)
Details, details....... The concept remains valid but the hole has to be bigger.
Old 09-30-19, 02:50 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,990 Times in 4,452 Posts
I've used extenders since I had to have them custom made and I have not tried extenders with holes and I would be suspect of their strength.
I always use pedals with wrench flats but they are becoming more unusual. I don't like the stupid 8mm allen thing.
Old 09-30-19, 02:59 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,990 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
. In the questions section, they say a hex wrench will fit through them.
It also says "Extended 15mm form the crank give you a comfort riding,avoid your keel or leg scratch with your bike, "
Old 10-02-19, 04:45 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've been using pedal extenders for years. On pedals without wrench flats, I screw the extenders to the pedal arm using the flats on the extender, then using a rag to protect the pedal shaft, take a pair of vice grips and snug the pedal to the extender. Never had a problem with them loosening (they kind of self tighten as you ride) or removing them the same way. I grease the threads before assembly just in case.

Edit: I just looked up Stamp 7 pedals. Wierd looking suckers. You would need a very thin vice grip to grab them. The drilled extenders may be your only answer.

This is an XT pedal without wrench flats with a pedal extender. The hex just in board of the pedal turns with the pedal, and is no help for tightening. I just grip the shaft with padded vice grips and snug it up. No big deal.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-02-19 at 04:51 PM.