Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Touring or All Around Group Suggestions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-07-19, 03:52 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts

I have several vintage MTB groups that I would love to build up on a road bike. All I need are shifters and wheels. The first is a group from an 82 Stumpjumper I parted out. It has Mafac cantilevers brakes, TA crank and SunTour derailleurs. eBay is full of SunTour barcon shifters so that isn’t a problem. The next is a a Shimano Deore XT Deer Head group. Both are less wheels and shifters. Any suggestions as to what rim/hub and shifters might be VRC appropriate? They have not have to be perfect just close.
Old 10-07-19, 04:16 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I have several vintage MTB groups that I would love to build up on a road bike. All I need are shifters and wheels. The first is a group from an 82 Stumpjumper I parted out. It has Mafac cantilevers brakes, TA crank and SunTour derailleurs. eBay is full of SunTour barcon shifters so that isn’t a problem. The next is a a Shimano Deore XT Deer Head group. Both are less wheels and shifters. Any suggestions as to what rim/hub and shifters might be VRC appropriate? They have not have to be perfect just close.
If you're sticking to vintage rims, Araya RM-20 rims are pretty much indestructible unless you wear them down completely from braking. They're a bit pricey as far as I know. For hubs, anything Deore or high end Suntour works, but if its early 80s, then it's likely to be Gyromaster or Suzue hubs.

If you're using the first gen XT Deer Head Gruppo, avoid the RD with the Superplate. There is no replacement for the metal jockey wheel.
Old 10-07-19, 04:31 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
If you're sticking to vintage rims, Araya RM-20 rims are pretty much indestructible unless you wear them down completely from braking. They're a bit pricey as far as I know. For hubs, anything Deore or high end Suntour works, but if its early 80s, then it's likely to be Gyromaster or Suzue hubs.

If you're using the first gen XT Deer Head Gruppo, avoid the RD with the Superplate. There is no replacement for the metal jockey wheel.
Just the standard derailleur.