Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

28 miles up hill (sorta)

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

28 miles up hill (sorta)

Old 10-07-19, 04:21 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
28 miles up hill (sorta)

Yesterday was a great day on the bike. Wind was howling like no other day. Crosswinds pushing me all over the road, tailwinds pushing me to an easy 25, and headwinds enough to simulate an up hill ride. Spinning around 100rpm, creeping along at 13mph into the wind for 28 miles allowed me to appreciate the previous 25 with tailwinds and dangerous crosswinds. The first half of the ride I psyched myself up for the return leg.
Old 10-07-19, 05:41 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Headwinds. Great for training. When else can you ride 30 miles on a 20 mile course?
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 10-07-19, 06:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
The Albany bike show was memorable a couple of years ago.

50 miles to Albany in the morning pushing hard into a headwind.

50 miles back home with a strong tailwind (and pushing 20+ MPH for much of it).

I met a couple of people who had ridden the opposite direction, down from Salem (maybe 30 or 40 miles). I knew that the headwind I had battled in the morning had been blowing them along. So, I had to wish them a strong headwind for their return trip (which, of course, meant a tailwind for myself).

Another 150 mile or so ride up to Portland in the spring had been a most unique ride. Light sleet, not enough to stick, but it could have been bad if it had been blasting in my face. Fortunately that time, I had a tailwind, and it was like riding in my own personal weather bubble.
Old 10-08-19, 12:35 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The Albany bike show was memorable a couple of years ago.

50 miles to Albany in the morning pushing hard into a headwind.

50 miles back home with a strong tailwind (and pushing 20+ MPH for much of it).

I met a couple of people who had ridden the opposite direction, down from Salem (maybe 30 or 40 miles). I knew that the headwind I had battled in the morning had been blowing them along. So, I had to wish them a strong headwind for their return trip (which, of course, meant a tailwind for myself).

Another 150 mile or so ride up to Portland in the spring had been a most unique ride. Light sleet, not enough to stick, but it could have been bad if it had been blasting in my face. Fortunately that time, I had a tailwind, and it was like riding in my own personal weather bubble.
When did Albany get a bike show? I ask as I grew up there (graduated West Albany High in 1988). Also got my first real bike (one not pieced together with parts found in the junkyard and bearings/seals purchased new from the bike shop) a Centurion Le Mans 12 speed from Bike 'n Hike. In fact my mom hired one of the mechanics from Bike 'n Hike to teach me how to perform bicycle maintenance.

I still have that bike that was given to me Christmas of 1985.
Old 10-08-19, 12:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
When did Albany get a bike show? I ask as I grew up there (graduated West Albany High in 1988). Also got my first real bike (one not pieced together with parts found in the junkyard and bearings/seals purchased new from the bike shop) a Centurion Le Mans 12 speed from Bike 'n Hike. In fact my mom hired one of the mechanics from Bike 'n Hike to teach me how to perform bicycle maintenance.

I still have that bike that was given to me Christmas of 1985.
I have no idea when they started, but they seem to do a big show every spring. I don't remember exactly where, but in an industrial part of town on the north side of downtown.

Here's a thread from this spring, and some photos from earlier when I had gone.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ycle-show.html

More custom cruisers than racers.
Old 10-08-19, 01:37 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have no idea when they started, but they seem to do a big show every spring. I don't remember exactly where, but in an industrial part of town on the north side of downtown.

Here's a thread from this spring, and some photos from earlier when I had gone.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ycle-show.html

More custom cruisers than racers.
Very cool. Thank you.

My dad still lives in Albany and runs a furniture refinishing business. The old Gray's Home Furnishings on the corner of 2nd and Ellsworth was my grandpa's store.

I rode my bike all over that town, and eventually when I got older would ride to Corvallis or Philomath and back. It wasn't uncommon for me to ride 10 miles to school, 10 miles home, 30+ miles to the west side of Corvallis and back (to get service or reeds for my saxophone), and then to ride to the football game at school for marching band and home... another 20 miles round trip. 70 miles spread out through the day back then was nothing (unfortunately I am nowhere near the shape I was in then).
Old 10-08-19, 01:38 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Yesterday was a great day on the bike. Wind was howling like no other day. Crosswinds pushing me all over the road, tailwinds pushing me to an easy 25, and headwinds enough to simulate an up hill ride. Spinning around 100rpm, creeping along at 13mph into the wind for 28 miles allowed me to appreciate the previous 25 with tailwinds and dangerous crosswinds. The first half of the ride I psyched myself up for the return leg.
Pro tip: Always ride the headwind leg first!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-15-19, 11:00 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Pro tip: Always ride the headwind leg first!
Negative! The wind might shift, and then were would you be? I know, it's a personal preference issue; but I'd rather take it easy on the way out knowing I will probably have to work on the way back. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and get tailwind both ways.
Old 10-15-19, 11:42 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
In my racing days living in Boston, I used to check the weather forecast on stormy days, find a town 50 miles upwind and ride there for lunch on my fix gear. Spin home. Those rides were brutal. But the spinning home meant my legs weren't "heavy" after.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: