Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon Aeroad Owners - Have you changed Fork Rake Shift?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-08-19, 07:29 AM
nickc3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, there is literally no info or how-tos on this. I just change my fork rake to "Stable" but I wanted to confirm that you not only have to flip it around to the 'stable' side, but also change forks as there is protusion form the insert. I can't believe Canyon has zero info on this on their site, videos, or manuals. And also no info on forums or googling.
Old 10-08-19, 07:50 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Did you not get an owner/assembly manual with the bike?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 10-08-19, 10:48 AM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nickc3
Hello, there is literally no info or how-tos on this. I just change my fork rake to "Stable" but I wanted to confirm that you not only have to flip it around to the 'stable' side, but also change forks as there is protusion form the insert. I can't believe Canyon has zero info on this on their site, videos, or manuals. And also no info on forums or googling.
Yes, I flipped mine to stable as well
Would also recommend a dab of low strength locktite on that little screw for the insert
That protrusion is just the " lawyer tab" as it is on all forks these days
Old 10-08-19, 11:49 AM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=RedBullFiXX;21155118]

What do you mean by "lawyer tab" I assume some sort of litigation type thing? I just want to confirm that when you flip, you also switch the insert to the opposite fork so that the protrusion remains on the outside of the fork. Attached is image of what mine looks like installed.

I'm curious - could you tell any difference? I just got the Aeroad (secondhand), so just started riding it.....I don't find it to be "twitchy" and I bet I don't notice any difference. However, the few references to it in reviews and videos I found indicate that people can tell the difference, and with the exception of one case, all the reviews indicated that 'stable' was preferred and really made the handling much better. Curious what you think.
Old 10-08-19, 12:19 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
[QUOTE=nickc3;21155217]
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX

What do you mean by "lawyer tab" I assume some sort of litigation type thing? I just want to confirm that when you flip, you also switch the insert to the opposite fork so that the protrusion remains on the outside of the fork. Attached is image of what mine looks like installed.
Protrusion stays on the inside of the fork
I'm curious - could you tell any difference? I just got the Aeroad (secondhand), so just started riding it.....I don't find it to be "twitchy" and I bet I don't notice any difference. However, the few references to it in reviews and videos I found indicate that people can tell the difference, and with the exception of one case, all the reviews indicated that 'stable' was preferred and really made the handling much better. Curious what you think.
Low speed handling not much in it, 20+ mph very noticeable, especially with deep wheels in cross winds
Try it and see what you like
Old 10-08-19, 07:18 PM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=RedBullFiXX;21155256]
Originally Posted by nickc3
Low speed handling not much in it, 20+ mph very noticeable, especially with deep wheels in cross winds
Try it and see what you like

Wait...so you are saying you simply flip the insert, but do NOT change to opposite side of the fork. Therefore, that little protrusion now sticks out/protrudes to the inside rather than the outside (when it was set to agile). Darn, I already installed by switching to other fork.

I can't belive Canyon provides no documentation on this!

thanks for your help. how did you know how to insstall? how do you know not to switch to other fork?
Old 10-08-19, 07:28 PM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahhh....I just googled and now understand what a laywer tab is

However, now that I understand what they do what they are, and looked at images confirming - the tab needs to face OUTWARDS as I installed not inwards as you stated.

Last edited by nickc3; 10-08-19 at 07:33 PM.